Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Kenneth Holland is a very bad general manager. I strongly believe he should no longer be the Detroit Red Wings GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

during the last game at the joe they should do a tribute to the best moments people had being stuck on the concourse at the end of a wings game.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ties are dumb. the only arguments i see for ties come from purists. as if regular season isn't boring enough already, apparently we gotta make it even more boring because shootouts are a skills competition and not "real hockey".

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 5, 2017

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I agree in principal, but for every fun shootout move there's 300 "don't want coach to bench me for trying anything unique even though I know this won't work" shots into the pads from between the hashmarks.

shootouts are lame, too. ties are lamer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Carver posted:

In regards to Riley Sheahan, I really don't understand how you can play an entire NHL season as a forward and not score a goal

when you understand that riley sheahan sucks, then it'll make sense.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i wouldnt be surprised if the wings win the rest of their games and they lose out on a lottery position

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i was reviewing the past few years 5th-10th pick to see what the wings will likely get and well looks pretty bad!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

none of those guys are the next wayne gretzky though

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the red wings signed some ugly kid. possibly a ginger.

we're back, baby

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

detroit tickets are relatively cheap compared to most teams and i still find them way too expensive. and the prices in recent years have skyrocketed. i think im gonna start going to toledo walleye games--cheaper and less of a crowd to fight.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Is this the point where Leafs, Habs, or Chicago fans butt in and start complaining a lot about the cost of games?

if i lived in any one of these cities, i would literally never go to a professional hockey game.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol

he does looks like hes 12 tho

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

im not going to see the LAST GAME AT THE JOE. because i have a beer league game at 6. dont think ill bother to watch the replay.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

last game at the shitpile that is joe louis arena :woop:

watch the wings win then shoot up two places in the division

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

riley sheahan scored not one but--count em--two goals.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

is it controversial of me to ask you if you're just a lovely poster or a born good poster who is transitioning

recognizing this high quality burn

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

JawKnee posted:

Canucks looking at Lowry, not sure how to feel about it

don't worry, the canucks will suck no matter who their head coach is. :)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

I was gunna say; odd place to start rooting on the Leafs from.

not really

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

1) gently caress ken holland

2) fire ken holland

3) the main point of that article is dead on, even if some of the details are wrong/dumb (ericsson has always sucked, who gives a gently caress about steve yzerman etc.): the wings have been on the decline since 2010 and have year after year mortgaged their future in order to stay competitive. that and ken holland has signed some outright dumb loving contracts.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

tinstaach posted:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but missing the playoffs is just the tip of the iceberg that is Red Wings badness.
About 1/3 of the their cap space is committed to Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Luke Glendening, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, and Danny DeKeyser for the next three years. Like, holy poo poo.

i was just thinking this the other day and that article highlighted it: the wings are going to be bad for a long, long time. and they'll be on the wrong track as long as holland is GM.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the fact that ken holland still has a job is telling of this franchise's future.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Barring some crazy outlier season next year, I doubt Holland will get a new contract. I'm going to be the voice of positivity and incredible delusion for RWAS.

next year will probably be an outlier season, allowing ken holland to destroy this team for at least another season.

years ago i was on the "rebuild on the fly" train, thinking the wings draft picks would turn this team into a contender again, but now it's pretty evident that they were just prolonging the inevitable. imagine how hosed this team wouldve been if they had successfully signed suter and parise.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i cant watch that and think it was not purposeful, or think hotbrains is a good enough excuse for what he did.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

im not gonna goon out and act like youre an idiot bc you disagree, its cool.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think even if its hotbrains, letting a guy off the hook would set a really awful precedent

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

14 points in 80 games that's almost riley sheahan bad
riley sheahan scored twice in a single game.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

FUUUUCK! PISS!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

im dumb explain this voodoo to me

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

Tanking has been a bigger problem in the league than teams being endemically bad since at least 2003. This draft system is a massive improvement on the old one.
who gives a gently caress if teams tank

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

tanking is for many teams "trying to be good". perpetual mediocrity with no future prospects is worse than being at the bottom.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

in all my years watching sports i dont think it has ever been ruined by tanking

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You wouldn't say that if you were a Ducks fan probably.
pens are good because they tanked. chicago is good because they tanked. is every team that gets beat by them supposed to bemoan tanking?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

CommaToes posted:

This draft lottery thing is entertaining, but it takes out much of the motivation for tanking.

If we keep this up, then teams will WANT to improve.

Imagine how boring it'd be to have 31 teams all fighting for 16 playoff spots.
oh my god this is a 'bored fan problem' on the same level as "the nhl needs more goals"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

where is this 'the draft is dumb' poo poo coming from

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The draft is unethical from a labor standpoint, but sports leagues don't operate under the same laws of reality because they are encouraged to enforce parity for entertainment purposes and the most effective way to do that is to let the bad teams have the first crack at the best incoming players!!

If law firms were essentially forced to ideally be relatively equally effective and competitive, maybe there would be a lawyer draft and the valedictorian of Harvard law might have to spend 3 years in Wyoming, but nobody is buying tickets to go sit in for Cheyenne traffic court so

tbf no one is paying to see hockey games in arizona either

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

gently caress ken holland

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The whole reason the draft exists in the first place is to keep rich teams from buying all the best talent and to depress individual player salaries. There's no reason for it in a salary cap league that also limits player contracts.
if the objective is parity there is.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i hope for the genocide of all teams but mine.

you can kill ken holland though.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If you don't change the length of control teams have over players entering the league but eliminate the draft, this wouldn't be viable for teams to do.
you're opening the door for shenanigans, tho. if only there were a system we could devise where the worst teams get first crack at the best incoming players. like a draft, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Could Ilya Kovalchuk make sense for Detroit Red Wings?

yes, the wings, a basement team, should invest long term in a 34 year old player.

helene st. james is such a loving awful reporter. like, no talent or valuable insight offered, ever. she either talks up some eklund-esque free agent/trade speculation, or regurgitates poo poo fed to her by the wings organization.

• Locked thread