Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Something Awful Turkish Referendum Straw Poll
Evet
Hayir
View Results

• Locked thread
Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

On April 16th there will be a constitutional referendum in Turkey, open to Turks around the world. An evet (yes) vote will change the constitution to make the sultan stronger, while a hayir (no) vote will keep the sultan as strong as he is right now. Naysayers worry about the potential for dictatorship, while evetsayers cite the need for streamlining Turkish government. Polls are unreliable but they have been trending slightly toward yes after the snafu over the government minister getting kicked out of the Netherlands and owned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38883556

Fat Lowtax has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
erdogan seems real bad to me so anything that makes him less powerful is good

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Well, polls are very divided with some having yes slightly ahead and others no, hence the Netherlands stunt

Oh he scared

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

So we can pretty much write off Turkey if this passes, right? How is this any different from the Enabling Act of 1933 in Germany?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Alienwarehouse posted:

So we can pretty much write off Turkey if this passes, right? How is this any different from the Enabling Act of 1933 in Germany?

turkey is in a strategic military location so nobody in NATO will do anything about it lol

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Alienwarehouse posted:

Yes

Also it won't change much since erdogan does whatever anyway but it'll be a major defeat and destroy his aura of invincibility

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

It'll basically just be a "he bleeds!" moment for the opposition but at this point you take what you can get, especially with so many sharks around

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alienwarehouse posted:

As a democracy, yes. But it's too important an ally to throw out in the cold.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's been remarkable watching Erdogan systematically piss off every one of his neighbours over the last decade.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Helsing posted:

It's been remarkable watching Erdogan systematically piss off every one of his neighbours over the last decade.

so what happens if erdogan wins and basically makes himself king. when he finaly goes back to his home in hell, won't the country implode? i mean he is basically a shittier dumber putin so i doubt he is planning much for when he finaly does die and the power vacum happens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bring back the House of Osman

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
good thing this forum has a paywall or this thread would be getting flooded by pro-erdogan spam bots

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

good thing this forum has a paywall or this thread would be getting flooded by pro-erdogan spam bots

on pogosticks?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The disturbing thing is that it hasn't really cost him anything. Liberals in turkey have basically done nothing or flailed pointlessly. Thereby fulfilling the long liberal tradition of caving to fascists.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i mean there was a coup attempt lol

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
was there though. was it really

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Didn't the coup basically just flush out every anti-Erdogan vestige from every government and military institution all at once leaving him stronger than ever? Almost like something a wily dictator would plan to purge his ranks?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

The disturbing thing is that it hasn't really cost him anything. Liberals in turkey have basically done nothing or flailed pointlessly. Thereby fulfilling the long liberal tradition of caving to fascists.

Well, even worse in that liberals were pro-erdogan until he specifically rejected and abandoned them

Like people forget this but erdogan was a favorite of even European greens and socdems until 2013 or so

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

remember when erdogan was considered to be good for Turkish democracy by essentially making the military irrelevant from the political process? good times

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

You want them to *ugh* vote with HDP!? *burps bile*

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cargo cult posted:

i mean there was a coup attempt lol

a fake coup by lover of daesh and the house of saud , erdogan . If he had his way Turkey would be like Saudi Arabia

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

What caused Erdogan to go so batshit insane anyway?

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Exclusive coverage by TheYoungTurks, see it live @youtube

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Alienwarehouse posted:

What caused Erdogan to go so batshit insane anyway?

middle eastern presidents/dictators/rulers/whatever are extremely paranoid usually because the USA/France/England/ETC likes to meddle in their poo poo and conspiracy theories are always abound.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Aside from the obvious history of foreign powers extensively meddling in their affairs for hundreds of years, I recall reading somewhere that the folklore tradition is riddled with clever assholes pulling off massive conspiracies and its just kind of a thing the same way Calvinism is deeply embedded in America

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Maybe Erdogan isn't actually insane, but is just a moron who happens to know how to push all the right buttons of the reactionary inland hick masses.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Maybe Erdogan isn't actually insane, but is just a moron who happens to know how to push all the right buttons of the reactionary inland hick masses.

If he believes what he says about Gülen then he's pretty loving crazy but it's not clear how much he believes his own propaganda.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

If he believes what he says about Gülen then he's pretty loving crazy but it's not clear how much he believes his own propaganda.

all the things about Gülen are true tho

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
fetullah gulen owns tho

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I'm going to vote no. I suggest taking the polls with a grain of salt; outside certain circles it is likely that people are hesitant to admit to leaning no. The government t is doing everything it can to suppress "no" propaganda, and with so much greater access to all the funding and equipment they need, they have no problem flooding out the oppoganda in even the most anti-akp districts.

Still think yes will win & turkey will continue to get worse. As for myself, I will be going to the USA anyway. Looking forward to getting away from populist totalitarian regime & experience real freedom again.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
Ps, my take on the coup attempt: a kernel of truth that was intentionally allowed to snowball

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

asaf posted:

As for myself, I will be going to the USA anyway. Looking forward to getting away from populist totalitarian regime & experience real freedom again.

I have some bad news for you.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I'd like to congratulate President Erdogan on his imminent conquest of Syria

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
Turkey is already a fascist dictatorship, so i guess if this passes it'll be some sort of super dictatorship

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Erdogan means we don't have to pretend to like Turkey anymore, now they're just another medieval shithole

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tingfinder posted:

Turkey is already a fascist dictatorship, so i guess if this passes it'll be some sort of super dictatorship
Yeah unless the military shoots it down lol

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah unless the military shoots it down lol

remember when everyone was clutching their pearls about how bad it would be if this were to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Brown Menace posted:

remember when everyone was clutching their pearls about how bad it would be if this were to happen

It did turn out pretty bad - for Turkey.

• Locked thread