Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like getting ranked because it appeases the same impulse that made me want an A in class back in school. I wish I was kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like redemption arcs where the character really has to work at it, not just decide to use their big dumb superpowers to help the good guy instead of the bad guys. I call it the "Thor" redemption. A bad redemption in my opinion might be Bastila at the end of KotOR.They just wrote her fall/redemption in a lazy way. It's even worse because the main character of that game kind of goes through a Thor redemption, so they do it a good way with one character and a bad way with another in the same game.

I don't play a ton of sim games but the ones I tend to come back to, play, and enjoy a lot are Game Dev Story on mobile and Sim City on SNES. In both cases, they're pretty straight-forward, charming, and very replayable without having too much complicated stuff in the simulation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Not a fan of silent protags even though there are a lot of games I really like that have them including Chrono Trigger and Wild Arms. The silent protagonist is never the appeal of those games to me and they take away more than they add in my opinion. "Choose your dialog"-style silent protags like in Fallout are good but I don't really think of them as silent protags since they are more straight-up player inserts approximating a pen/paper RPG experience.

The sole exception to this is Mario in the Mario RPG series because he communicates through all his weird gestures occasional exclamations which is so endearing.

Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag are probably the fighting games I most have nostalgia for because they were at the tale end of the time I spent playing in the arcades and with roomates in college and while I still know a lot of people who game, I have recognized that I will never capture that same feeling I had with them. I loved SF2 and Samurai Showdown but I don't have the same nostalgia for them since I played them earlier and never enjoyed them quite as much.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 6, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Question: Which characters in video games (or media in general) are so self-absorbed that you can't help but love them?

Risky Boots from the Shantae series is kind of perfect for this and like Dedede, will ally with her opponent to take down bigger foes just because they're standing in her spotlight. Her laughing poses during boss fights are also drat perfect.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Question: Even when a character does some terrible things, how much are you able to relate to them on some level even after all they've done?

I have done terrible things that I regret. Sometimes I don't even realize how terrible they were until well afterwards. It makes it easier to relate to and sympathize in games and fiction, especially if what they are doing is similar to something I've done and learned from. However, if the character sees what they've done and refuses to make amends or worse yet doubles down, that is where any sympathy starts to drop.

Question: What's a game that you absolutely love even though you haven't played much of it?

Overwatch is probably the biggest one for me too! I really enjoyed it for a couple months but haven't played since. I still keep up with it because of fond memories.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Oh no fridge corn heard the siren song of Bayonetta and came to post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world