Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I would rather games not rank me at all, especially mediocre ones. There's nothing more annoying that clearing a stage in a not very good Sonic game and being given a D. "I can do better" says Sonic, while I nod vigorously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like Guacamelee a lot, though I feel that Super Turbo Edition, while it added a lot of great things like more backstory for player 2 and an entire new donjon, made a pretty big mistake when trying to compensate for the Intenso Meter by adding enemies that can teleport out of your combos. These enemies just kind of break the flow of the game's combat, which both breaks your combo meter and leads to a lot of waiting around for the enemies to decide to reappear so you can keep fighting them. It's a pretty big black eye on what's otherwise the best version of a great game.

I enjoyed playing with the custom Zangief skin a friendly Steam person made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a lot of new content, it's definitely worth a look.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

psyman posted:

What self-respecting adult writes bios about Pokemon bosses and King Dedede, please stop embarrassing yourself OP and get a girlfriend/boyfriend

:gb2gbs:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Alf's 43rd Favorite Character Teaser: Once tried to take over the world with dancing

Gotta be Waluigi.

quote:

Game #44: Double Dragon Neon
”Marian?!”
”Aw man, not again!”

Released: September 11th, 2012
Synopsis: Marian has been kidnapped by the evil Skullmageddon! Billy and Jimmy Lee must work together to get her back in their wildest and craziest adventure yet!
Chosen Music: Title Theme

---

For the longest time, my favorite beat ‘em up game was always TMNT IV: Turtles in Time on the SNES, mostly because it was one of the few co-op games I played with my brother back in the day. There were tons of things about it that I loved; the graphics, the music, the gameplay, all those voice clips, and the awesome boss fights. Then, when Double Dragon Neon came up on the horizon, I awaited the day where I could play it with my bro (or anyone, really) to recapture that magic feeling of beating the poo poo out of punks with a buddy by your side. That’s why, on the very first day of this year, I went out and got a PS3 controller, fired up a copy I downloaded on my PS3 some two or three years ago, and spent an afternoon mopping up the streets with my bro, and it was a drat good time.

Most of my history with the series itself comes from hazy memories of Double Dragon 1 on the NES, but Neon does an amazing job honoring the series’ legacy all the same. It takes full advantage of the time period it came out in to bathe the characters and visuals in a glamorous 80’s style, and it takes the time to mix in pop songs relevant to the era while also providing fantastic tunes and remixes by Jake Kaufman. The combat, while kinda stiff like Double Dragon games tend to be, is evolved through power-up bonuses for dodging at the right time, and a variety of different techniques and passive abilities gives you plenty of options to work with. It also does a lot of neat things with the co-op, like being able to revive a downed bro, and the high-five system, which lets you be as much of a bro as you want (for better or worse). It’s also got some of my favorite bosses in the beat ‘em up genre, including the main baddie Skullmageddon, who is literally just Skeletor from He-Man right down to the voice. It’s awesome.

It’s kind of a bummer that Double Dragon IV goes back to the NES visual style when Neon does so much to update the series for the modern era. I’d go as far as to call it the best beat ‘em up out there, with lots of great action, hilarious dialogue and in-jokes, and plenty of awesome boss fights. If you’ve got a bro and an afternoon to spare, get this game so you too can enjoy the thrill of punching Literally Skeletor in his stupid nerd face.

Double Dragon Neon is an amazing game. The Wayforward team that worked on it was mostly composed of the people who went on to form Yacht Club, and the only thing I can say against Neon is that it uses so-so 3D models instead of the amazing sprite work that Wayforward is well known for, but that was a budget thing. I spoke a little bit to the lead dev when he was in my friend's stream, and there was an initial decision to make Neon not be too much of a throwback to the classic Arcade and NES Double Dragon games because they felt Double Dragon Advance had pretty much done a perfect job of taking that particular approach to a Double Dragon revival, so that's why Neon takes things in a fresh direction, in every aspect from story, style, and even gameplay (many of the subtleties of the combat are very different from the classic Double Dragon formula, for example how grabs work). The result is a game that mixes old and new in an awesome way and stands on its own as an entry to the Double Dragon series, instead of having to be compared too closely to the others.

Yacht Club has expressed interest in working on more Double Dragon games, and their use of Battletoads in Shovel Knight strongly hints at the possibility of a sequel to everyone's favorite stupid team-up, Battletoads and Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team. But that's entirely up to the rights holders, Atlus and Microsoft respectively.

Double Dragon IV is a straight up bad game, it doesn't even do a good job of being a retro NES nostalgia experience.

quote:

Question: What are your favorite kinds of beat-em-up games?

Beat-em-ups has always been my favorite genre of game, not least because co-op is so natural and fluid in a good beat-em-up, something that can rarely be said of other genres. I've played all the coin-munching arcade classics, all the floundering NES proto beat-em-ups that don't quite work out, the entirety of the Final Fight and Rushing Beat series, all the modern online co-op games that don't quite pan out.... and among all that punching goodness, I still remain a big fan of Technos. I have what could be called an unhealthy fixation with this long-dead company, to be honest. They created River City Ransom and Double Dragon, one of my favorite games and one of my favorite series respectively, and while not every game they made is as good as those classics (or even fun at all in some cases), I've always had a great fondness for their approach to game design.

I've always liked how they put hidden special moves in their games, or the unique way grapples work in the Double Dragon series. To my mind a good beat-em-up just has to have weapons, grapples, and special moves, or it's missing something. Something that I think hurts a lot of classic arcade beat-em-ups is the usual issue of having theoretical infinite lives based on how much you're willing to pay, and the design being balanced around trying to get you to pay more and more as it goes along instead of providing a balanced challenge based on a fixed number of lives. That's why home console versions of beat-em-ups are, to me, almost always more fun than thier arcade counterparts.

Almost every game has RPG elements nowadays, including beat-em-ups, but few games ever did it as well as River City Ransom. Double Dragon Neon, Double Dragon Advance, Final Fight 3, Rushing Beat Try, King of Dragons, Streets of Rage Remake, River City Ransom, and TMNT IV(snes) are some of my favorite entries in the genre, and what they share is a good variety of moves and enemies, fun weapons, and good feedback upon hitting enemies. Oh, and stages that don't go on for a millenium (like castle crashers or Scott Pilgrim's) That's all you really need.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waluigi is cool for the same reason Robbie Rotten is cool. He's the absolute worst and always loses, but he does it with an enthusiasm and style that's charming. I always kind of had this feeling in my mind that since Wario is like a fatter, greedier version of Mario who lives in a golden castle, Waluigi is like an even unluckier and way more depressed version of Luigi. I imagine he lives in a run down shack a short way from Wario's palace.

The games have also given him some pretty out-there traits, from his ability to bend at unnatural angles, to his penchant for dance and stylish moves, to a pretty weird nihilistic and self-hating streak(he punches himself to bits when he loses in Double Dash, and embraces chaos in Mario DDR).

Some people may dismiss the Wa as an uninspired companion to Wario, but I think he's one of the Mushroom Kingdom's most interesting residents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9oVqRjUvqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pX1YiT6UdA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Asgore's a pretty interesting character because, as another character in the game points out, his inability to commit to his war against humanity actually makes him take a path that's much crueler, simply because it's easier on his conscience. That isn't to say that he isn't kind-hearted and lovable and relatable and that what he did was irredeemable, but it's true that he took a cowardly half-measure that made innocents pay the price, and it's a pretty ugly thing to do. It's difficult to know if that's a message about how compromising your ideals even a little is wrong, or if it's more about how good intentions can cause just as much damage as cruel ones (another character in the game certainly embodies that).

Question: What's a game that you absolutely love even though you haven't played much of it?

I'm not sure if it counts since I beat it 2 or 3 times, but I haven't put that many hours in House of the Dead: Overkill, and yet its music, goofy characters, sense of humor and general sense of grindhouse style will stay with me until I die.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Johnny Cage was great both in MK9 and MKX, although I sort of liked him even back in the old days where the MK cast barely got any personality. He also gets the best line in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7cAYBjcP-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mRWCKs93JA

Arkham Asylum and Dual Destinies are both great games, so those are some pretty top choices there. :discourse:

Question: What kind of characters really speak to you on a meta-narrative level?

Travis Touchdown and others like him because they remind me of my journey from dumb teenage anime fan who thinks he knows everything and that political correctness is dumb BS into the well-adjusted individual I am today.

Question: How much do you value an artistic direction in video games?

A lot! Good artistic direction can easily overcome low res graphics and even mediocre gameplay for me. There's a limit, of course, and that limit is Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

Question: Which Pokemon is your favorite?
The king of kicks himself:

There's just something cool about a pokemon that kicks people in the face.

quote:

Question: What games do you like to play in a way that's different from the norm?

I tend to gravitate towards grapplers in beat-em-ups and to a lesser extent in fighters. That's not that uncommon, but it's uncommon enough that the dudes I play are never the most popular.

Question: What's a character you like in one game but hardly anywhere else?

Duke Nukem was cool in Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem Zero Hour but I kinda never wanna see him again.

Question: Which character do you like that went from unremarkable to incredible in just one game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSGtvlsAES0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Question: What was your first video game?

I can't remember at all which game I played first. It was in all likelihood an NES title at a friend's place. But I distinctly remember the first video game I owned. My dad bought me a sega master system because it was "just as good" as a nintendo, and it came with Wonder Boy, which was a pretty fun little game about a caveman looking for his girlfriend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I never knew the voice acting between the OG MGS and Twin Snakes was different, largely because I never played the original MGS, but that's a shame to hear it was a downgrade.

That's a hotly debated topic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wendell posted:

I've been playing the Ace Attorney trilogy and am on the third game now. Gumshoe isn't in the subsequent games?! At all?? I'm furious!!!!

He's in both Investigations spinoff games, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Question: Are you satisfied with your life up to this point?

Nah.

• Locked thread