Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Mighty Mouse break Silva's defense record?
This poll is closed.
Yes 35 28.93%
Umm, yes 36 29.75%
Yep 12 9.92%
yeh 38 31.40%
Total: 121 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

do you guys remember awhile back when all of our champions were cool? and now look at them

stipe is pretty awesome imo. i like that he's good enough at everything to punish successful heavyweights with huge flaws. i think the jds rematch will be very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ronda was walking through miesha and holm's punches pretty easily, it's just that holm hit her clean at will and made her do the looney tunes tazmanian devil spin to try to catch her, and even then she still was almost armbarred. only lady vitor has ever really made ronda stop coming forwards.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kimbo305 posted:

Those are pretty in contradiction with each other. The way Ronda was getting hit, I think she'd have been finished even without the head kick.

my point wasn't that she could have walked through holm's punches indefinitely, my point was that she did in fact walk through them for a round in which got hit a bunch on the chin, psychotically exhausted herself, and even though holm was fighting a perfect fight she still got her against the fence and on the ground.

so i don't think joanna's strikes would trouble her until she's basically lost the fight anyway.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
at this point it seems fairly likely that fatherdog self banned so he wouldn't have to face the relentless trolling weidman's losing streak would have unleashed

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I loved Anderson Silva as much as anyone but he was having competitive fights with people like Chael Sonnen and Yushin Okami, so maybe his title streak was more a product of luck and a terrible division than him being some kind of unbeatable demigod.

okami looked like a kitten playing with a large, adult cat. he was crushed in that fight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Fat Twitter Man posted:

lol, yeah, as I typed that I realized that I was sort of proving myself wrong. but the division hasn't improved as fast as all the others have. even heavyweight has more depth these days. heavyweight used to be really dire because it was split up between competing promotions, but I wonder if the Fedor/Nog/Crocop trinity had been in the UFC instead of Pride and Velasquez/JDS dethroned them that LHW wouldn't be taken so seriously.

i think light heavyweight was really cool for a while because you had an unbroken continuity between elite fighters like liddell, ortiz, couture etc. who got hosed up by machida, rashad, shogun, rampage, bader etc.

iirc evans/machida was the first title fight between undefeated fighters in ufc history. and machida crushed him to put an exclamation point on the most dominant winning streak i've ever seen, and then he put on an all time great fight with shogun, and then shogun beat him, and then jones killed everyone and then his own career. so no one is taking cormier or anyone else in the division seriously except for maybe rumble because his streak is reminiscent of machida's and he never lost to jones, and now he's retired.

i also really wonder if fighters who are coming up are deliberately avoiding 205 as much as possible because of jones.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
rashad did amazingly considering his style gives him an effective 3 inch reach

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

VagueRant posted:

So, erm, I have only just seen footage of this guy called Fedor Emelianenko? He looks quite good at this!

I heard Rogan talking about him and finally looked him up. Always heard the name Fedor in MMA but never had a face or a flurry of punches to the faces of giants to put to it. Tell me about The Last Emperor?

he was knocked out by a middleweight in the first round

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the actual reason he has few fans on this dot com is that in 2009 or whatever, before he started losing but also clearly wasn't taking on the best heavyweights in the world and in fact had gotten sloppier and worse, there was still an insane echo chamber clamouring for fedor p4p best fighter ever. so there's a kind of prideful contrarianism to calling fedor total poo poo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've watched mma for like eight years now and you get used to the endless litany of assholes and pieces of poo poo going in and out of mma on a conveyor belt because fighting for money means there's probably something wrong with you.

but mike perry really bugs me. he has resurrected the naive, fresh-faced hatred which once made me edit bisping's wikipedia to call him a douchebag out of the sincere belief that someone being personally distasteful is bad. as opposed to all things considered not being as bad as chopping off someone's legs for stealing from your gym, regularly beating strangers to within an inch of their lives and not going to jail, or driving a railroad spike through a dog's head.

i really want him to lose.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
no joke that fight night is the first thing i haven't spoiled for myself on the morning after since uhh mcgregor/diaz 2 i think

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ive always been partial to the nick denis ko

not least because after causing someone severe brain trauma he started researching cte and retired after his next fight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i can't see how jones will beat cormier without his sex pills. hanging dong limply will spell his defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you misunderstand me keven, im saying that his game will be compromised by the lack of a thick, long, hard penis. why do you think his eyepokes and oblique 'kicks' have been the terror of the division.

• Locked thread