Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Mighty Mouse break Silva's defense record?
This poll is closed.
Yes 35 28.93%
Umm, yes 36 29.75%
Yep 12 9.92%
yeh 38 31.40%
Total: 121 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
June 2015: "Hey, did anyone put up the job rec for the new proofreader position?"
April 2017: "Not yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

david carmichael posted:

Can you pop a few xanbars before a fight?

Forrest Griffin popped for xannies in his loss against Anderson Silva at 101.

As for smoking weed as performance enhancement, I think the lack of research is the biggest issue with calling it a PED at this point. It might be. Maybe sativa strains are, in particular, or maybe indicas? Or maybe someone will develop a hybrid that combines enough properties to make it an uber enhancer for athletics? We just don't know, but any intoxicant should probably be banned at the time of competition just for the safety of the competitors.

That said, as someone who's dabbled in both MMA and the jazz cabbage, I didn't notice many positive effects if I lit up before training or sparring. It made weight lifting and circuit training less boring, and relieved a little bit of fatigue and discomfort, but all I really noticed was that my lungs burned quicker when I started sucking wind. I tried doing BJJ while high a few times after reading Eddie Bravo's books, but didn't notice a whole lot of anything, positive or negative, compared to rolling sober.

Having a beer right before working out actually felt like more of an enhancement than weed. Anecdote != data, of course.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Novum posted:

Your brain doesn't just get better my man.

It never goes back to the way it was, but it can improve. Plasticity and all.

Concussions and hand injuries are why I stopped doing MMA. I went to work the morning after a particularly bad concussion. One of my co-workers asked me, the IT manager, how to fix a simple Outlook problem. I stared at her computer, wondering what the gently caress an Outlook is, why it might be broken, and whether it was even relevant to my job to know that. I panicked, told her I'd go look it up, and went to the server room to cry, even though I didn't know why I was crying or what made me sad in the first place. Total Flowers for Algernon poo poo. gently caress that.

I recovered in a few days, but it's not something I want to repeat voluntarily.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Work Friend Keven posted:

This is why MMA fighters can't just go get a decent 6 figure job in IT. I hope everyone finally feels some compassion.

The secret to 6 figure IT success, step one: stop getting punched in the head for fun.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Dumb concussions are the best/worst. My first one was a sledding accident. My second, inadvertent headbutt to the temple during BJJ practice. Third, took out the trash, lost control of the lid on the dumpster, came to 15 seconds later with blood pouring out of my broken nose.

The most fun was when my doctor asked if clear fluid was leaking out of my nose. "What, like snot?"
"No, like...clear fluid. From your brain."
"Would it look different from snot?"
"Yes, sort of."
"How so?"
"It's different. You'll know it if you see it."

If you didn't want me to sleep for 24 hours, you could have just told me that instead of freaking me out and making me examine my Kleenex with a drat magnifying glass every time my busted nose ran.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I forget who said it, but it's like they've started an MMAARP promotion.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

chaleski posted:

also lol w145 now has two people

Women's Trashweight

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Le Saboteur posted:

I feel bad for Louis Smolka as he was a huge prospect at one point and Tim Elliott is probably going to style on him and hand him his 3rd loss in a row.

Was gonna say. Watching Ray Borg come in huge and smash the poo poo out of Smolka live was extra sad. He's not out-and-out bad, he's just had some really bad match ups lately.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is a massive difference between basically anything else and grappling/fighting cardio wise. I've done a lot of things over the years, and I'm not going to claim I'm a cardio beast or anything, but actively rolling/sparring with someone is the most exhausting (and one of the most fun) things I've ever done.

The best part is getting used to doing long rounds of sparring, taking 6 months off due to injuries, and not realizing how much work it took to get to that original benchmark.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Supposedly, the F1 thread is the Worst Thread.

I think it has some competition.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Down Right Fierce posted:

I got decent seats for Nashville. Gonna be my first UFC event. P stoked.

Could be worse. You could have spent money on the last Portland card.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Dan Didio posted:

Jon Fitch iz 'ee 'ardest 'pponent of my entire career.

I missed that fight because Eddie Sanchez and Soa Paleli are such talentless garbagey fat fucks that boredom set in, causing my friend's step-dad to ask her about her recent knee sprain, starting an argument about knee injuries that snowballed into a crying/screaming family spat that caused everyone who didn't live there to scatter like cats on fire. gently caress those two fuckups. Lived in a town with no sports bars carrying the fights, too, so it was a total waste of a good PPV evening when we couldn't find anyone broadcasting.

loving trashweight bullshit, swear to god.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I'm looking forward to the inevitable clash of the always slick Wet Andy and the ever-dangerous "Face Shoe" on the next Fightpass Featured Prelims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bluedeanie posted:

Mighty Mouse vs Soa Peleilei

Please, let the universe give me this fight some day.

• Locked thread