Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Mighty Mouse break Silva's defense record?
This poll is closed.
Yes 35 28.93%
Umm, yes 36 29.75%
Yep 12 9.92%
yeh 38 31.40%
Total: 121 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Why do I picture him as the Duluth underwear mascot?

Edit : This guy -

I know that guy in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I adore both Rose and Joanna Champion so I'd rather them never fight, but in what universe does Rose win that fight? Rose is the epitome of a "game" opponent and I doubt anyone could steamroll her. But the death by five thousand punches Joanna dishes out remains her M.O. I'm not sure who will beat her outside of a lucky sub.

joanna can be knocked out i think .. though she is very fit and competing in a weightclass where knockouts are hard. andrade can do it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I remember Rose solely for being hyped up by you guys then losing convincingly to the other tuf person whose crowning glory was being the person getting the absolute poo poo kicked out of them by Joanna

its because they want to gently caress her

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
personally i think its just fine to want to gently caress. but lets be real here, shes 5-3 and takes cute selfies for instagram

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

are those stats supposed to make me want to gently caress her more or less?

i suppose that depends on your perspective

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

gently caress marry kill

Cyborg, Gabi garcia, sage northcutt

marry marry marry .. i can just about pay the bills and ive seen sage northcutts house. i woke up with a slug on my face once

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

Carla Esparza walked right through Rose.

j-jeepers .. it sure is scary around here

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

is wmma good?

generally ... needs a bit more money in it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a weird complaint, because it's true of literally everything. You think Baseball would attract the kind of freakish talent it does if A-Rod wasn't on a multi-hundred million dollar contract and was just doing it for the love of the game or whatever? Baseball is a sport so loving boring to play that even people making a fortune to play it are on amphetamines in order to pretend to be interested.

most female mma fighters have a regular job since theres no minimum salary. the same thing happens in womens cycling. there are a few really talented people competing in both sports but the general level of competition is low because of a lack of money and good training prospects. which in turn limits the people with the most talent because generally you can only be about as good as the people you compete against. so a little money is necessary if you want to have high level sport

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

Chris the Shitman Weidman is back with another poop story

http://uproxx.com/sports/chris-weidman-pooping-himself-story/

I think that guy likes poo poo and making GBS threads a little more than the average person

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

Kelvin Gastelum tested positive for marijuana for his March in-competition test

http://www.ufc.ca/news/UFC-Statement-on-Kelvin-Gastelum-040617

pwned

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Although I did want to see the fight and also the UFC live and gambling thread QQ

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
if hes caught using it in competition then chances are hes using it to calm his nerves or for pain management

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Kelvin Gastelum doesn't have nerves. He was on the season of TUF with the most neurotic dramatic head cases and he did nothing but sleep and eat brownies en route to winning the season.

:shepface:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

yeah let's suspend the guy who smoked the devil reefer.

even that guy had the decency to pass his in competition tests for the fight

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Novum posted:

I have never faulted a fighter for smoking weed and I will continue not counting it against them.

"in competition" in the ufc means theres like 2 weeks maximum of the year where they cant be high. so i have 0 sympathy for the fighters that wont respect that

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 7, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Can't weed stick in a person's system for months depending on how their fat works? I thought it was pretty subjective. Just curious and you would know.

sure if youre being tested for a job but you need a decent amount in your system to fail the wada code. if he fails an in competition test it means he was definitely using it in competition on purpose which means he was using it to get an edge. what he actually gets out of it only he knows but i can think of a few reasons id wanna be high before having to compete

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Their win is invalidated and they are fined heavily. I'm not going to wag my finger at them as well.

i will because it matters to me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I never trust athletic commissions to do anything remotely sensible. I'm just preparing for the stupidest possible outcome.

If you could elaborate on that or show me a good link I'd appreciate it. I have no grasp on the difference between failing a job drug test and a athletic drug test as far as the results go. It's an interesting topic to me because of weed slowly becoming legal and being curious how you could enforce a drug code that wouldn't eliminate half the population.

im the wrong person to ask about science but weed being detected in your fat or your hair or whatever for years is one thing, but its out of your blood a lot faster than that and sports tests use urine samples and blood. theres a huge list on the wada website (which is the code most doping agencies enforce, usada included) of what you can take and how much of it you can have in your system so theres no excuse for exceeding it, and if theres something you need to take that happens to be on the banned list then you can apply for a theraputic use exemption. weed is only banned in competition in the ufc and "in competition" is something like 48 hours before and after a fight. if it shows up in a random test out of competition then its not a problem

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i should mention that i faintly remember reading that usada deviate from the wada code with regards to weed cos of its legal status in parts of america so theyre more lenient as well. but it remains banned in competition for reasons like ive stated, you can get a psychological edge from it just like you might use a benzo or use it to help you cope with recovery (obviously theres better stuff to use for that [tramadol -______-] but weed is convenient if you already smoke it)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Memento posted:

6 hours before weigh in to 6 hours after the fight.

thank you

anyway, heres the usada page explaining why its on the list http://www.usada.org/substances/marijuana-faq/ personally i think if people want to get high and look at trippy mandala pictures all day its their business whether theyre athletes or not but if theyre caught using it during competition then theyre using it for performance purposes ... so theyre just as deserving of their bans as people like vitor would be if they were caught with veins full of horse cum

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

do they still give a year or two years off for weed?

as low as 3 months. i think

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

manyak posted:

Cheating ftw

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Auron posted:

Also LOL @ INRI calling marijuana performance enhancing. Yes people smoke weed hours before a fight to enhance their fighting performance...not to just you know...get high or relax.

Drinking a coke 30 minutes before a fight is literally more of a performance enhancer than smoking weed.

soft drinks arent on the banned list so its fine

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Auron posted:

I know this, but quit acting like marijuana is a PED and people who smoke before fights are doing it to gain a performance edge.

youre nearly there ... just connect the two dots ("smoking weed" and "before competing") and youre done

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Auron posted:

No, you see connect the dots that you're wrong. It's not a PED, period.

and for the record i smoked as much weed as any other teen. even while competing albeit as a junior amateur

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

handsome only face posted:

caffeine is i thinkl

over a limit based on your body weight ... for example i can take about 600mg before a race and be way under the limit by the end of it if i wanted, which is 12 pro plus or something like 7 cups of decent coffee. so no chance of hitting it by accident unless youre voltaire

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pearnicious posted:

If cannabis is on the PED list because of its supposed analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties then they should also ban ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen, etc.

If cannabis is on the PED list because of its supposed anti-anxiety and calming properties then they should also ban meditation and breathing exercises.

Getting a good night's sleep and eating a good breakfast is performance enhancing, should we ban that too?

What about kratom? Never tried it and don't know much about it, but it supposedly has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, and it's not banned. The logic is just totally flawed and arbitrary.

TL;DR - cannabis is not a PED, and the only reason it's banned is because it is an illegal controlled substance under the federal government.

i looked into kratom personally and my understanding is it lowers your testosterone and supresses your immune system (terrible for an athlete because their immune systems are often already compromised). and youre right all that stuff can be and is used to help athletes cope. obviously its arbitrary where the line is drawn but that doesnt mean athletes should be able to cross it. peoples careers are made and lost as a result of drugs in sport, its a really serious issue

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Can you pop a few xanbars before a fight?

i think silva tested positive for a benzo when he was caught

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

Yeah, I am open to the possibility that it could partially be a PED for anxiety I guess, but thats not really important because most people agree you shouldn't fight while high.

its more like you smoke it the night before, its an important fight and youre feeling the pressure cant sleep etc. meanwhile your opponent could be walking laps around his hotel room all night and has a poo poo showing because of it and now he has to fight in bellator for even less money. hows that fair? at least if you relax with some otc sleep aid or hot chocolate or whatever its something your opponent has the opportunity to do without also breaking the rules

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
cheating by smoking weed and pretending yo udidnt until someone proves you did = fail
cheating by utilising sleight of hand manouevers and nonchalant whistling in front of a live video feed = win

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Could DC have worked the buttons with his toes?

doubt it ... the pic shows him hovering a good 2ft off the ground

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Stealth Tiger posted:

The UFC only goes out of their way to truly promote like 3 people at a time. It must seem like there's something wrong if you're going out and doing your job and not getting much of a reward, and I understand how fighters hypothesize that the reason they aren't getting a ton of money and press must be because they are ugly or short or a lesbian or foreign or black or nice or communist or whatever but the real reason is that there just isn't a lot of money and press going around at all. The most marketable guy in the sport is currently trying to compete in a different sport, for christ's sake.

the ufc isnt lacking money

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

rumble spent 7 minutes treating his coaching staff and the time they invested into him with absolute contempt. can't say i blame them.

its not exactly altruism on their part. not that i particularly care about anthony johnsons feelings myself

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

DC has an insane chin, it does not get enough credit

hes better than jon jones IMO. and jon jones is really impressive in his own way, like how he reacted to vitors arm bar + gustaffson etc.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Chris Weidman has been fairly badly concussed 3 fights in a row now. Dudes turning into Mark Munoz. https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/64ixea/spoilerchris_weidmans_corner_saying_chris_didnt/

fair enough

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
half his face is super droopy and numb looking as a "homage" to two face from batman where 1 side of his personality is that of a Yoel's Palsy victim

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Does anyone here actually think Weidman somehow got a stroke punched into him?

who knows. but facial numbness and stuff like that isnt what a stroke is, it just also happens to be a symptom of a stroke

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it actually was a tko so if it gets overturned then it shouldnt be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anderson silva is really good and so was renan barao

• Locked thread