Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
hi yospos,

i got angry at tim for the new macbooks, so i built a new PC and switched back to windows. but then i remembered, iTunes is a complete turd on non-apple devices. it might even be worse now than five years ago when i originally switched to mac.

is foobar2000 still the top dog alpha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
xmms :razz:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

man, remember when xmms2 was in development and the Linux media player community ate itself?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

xmplay, neutron skin

from this post you'd think i use amberpos but you'd be wrong

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 2, 2017

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

http://audacious-media-player.org

it still has winamp skin support

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
foobar2000. close thread

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Tankakern posted:

http://audacious-media-player.org

it still has winamp skin support

wonder if it's still compatible with old xmms plugins

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
cmus

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I use winamp, op

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AXaFlIFQA

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

itunes is cool and good. use xld to convert your flacs to alac.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
uh how do you idiots not just have a subsonic server at this point

my music player app is literall yany computer with a browser

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BRUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

amaroK

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

i don't know if foobar is the best thing to be using on windows but i got way in to janitoring it and ended up writing a plugin to fix a bunch of minor things annoying me in the ui, so the gross time investment means i never want to try anything else

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
forgive the open sores and the terrible name but i find quodlibet to very needs suiting

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

vodkat posted:

forgive the open sores and the terrible name but i find quodlibet to very needs suiting

quodlibet is good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lime posted:

i don't know if foobar is the best thing to be using on windows but i got way in to janitoring it and ended up writing a plugin to fix a bunch of minor things annoying me in the ui, so the gross time investment means i never want to try anything else

whats wrong with the ui

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

hifi posted:

whats wrong with the ui

like i said it's minor things, but i didn't like

- how there's no way to tell at a glance which playlist tab is currently playing
- how you can have a special playlist that follows the library selection but if you start playing from it and then look around at other music it's just going to stop after the current track
- how in the nothing-playing state the play button will restart the last track you were playing instead of just starting the playlist you're currently looking at
- how there's no option to have playlists all play in sequence; the way i use foobar is maybe atypical but i don't have big permanent playlists, i open a bunch of playlists for individual albums and i want them to act like a queue and just play through in sequence

my plugin has more or less janky fixes for these things, like the first thing i "fixed" by just renaming the currently playing list to prepend a "▶​" character, idk it works for me but it's definitely just a hodgepodge of unrelated functionality so i've never bothered to try to share it anywhere except with some friends

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah those make sense. i just tried the first one and playlist treeview does a little box around the now playing playlist. the startup thing is probably because there's an option to automatically start playback when you launch foobar and nobody made a fuss about your use case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spotifys ui is ok but its functionality by having a current play queue which is it's own thing and using playlists just adds or replaces the queue, but the queue is always there, and so you can just add an album or song to the queue, and its sweet for parties because anyone can just add songs to play next part of the queue and when people's selection have run out it just defaults to the queue that you set up earlier

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

spotifys ui is ok but its functionality by having a current play queue which is it's own thing and using playlists just adds or replaces the queue, but the queue is always there, and so you can just add an album or song to the queue, and its sweet for parties because anyone can just add songs to play next part of the queue and when people's selection have run out it just defaults to the queue that you set up earlier

lol. parties.

i thought this was the flac thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
itunes and spotify but theyre both bad (spotify is better now)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the 'apple music' stuff is so loving terrible i can't get over it. for a long time poo poo like right click was disabled in the desktop client on those pages. wtf???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what spotify needs is a play history, coz it doesn't seem to remember what you did if it was just an on the fly queue

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

what spotify needs is a play history, coz it doesn't seem to remember what you did if it was just an on the fly queue

not the longest, and as usual the ui is confusing, but bottom right you have the play queue button, push that, below the title you have two tabs "play queue" and "history"

good for at least catching the thing you just heard and immediately forgot what it was

burning swine
May 26, 2004

med school head posted:

uh how do you idiots not just have a subsonic server at this point

my music player app is literall yany computer with a browser

lmao if sounds come out of your browser

foobar2000 is the only media player

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
get a load of this:
i created a symlink in the itunes media folder so purchaed music automatically gets downloaded to my proper music folder that's stored on one drive
then i listen through the groove app instead

haha

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i also sort my albums by year

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
music.google.com, OP.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the demise of what. cd and the rise of spotify has changed my life

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

op i use iTunes on all my computers. it's ok. thanks for reading this post.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
foobar and spotify op

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

rip. end of an era

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

i still use soulseek

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

m8 pass the headphones and fill the place of that cd :wink:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

vodkat posted:

m8 pass the headphones and fill the place of that cd :wink:

yeah echopenis

also the other one

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

google play music all access set up as a chrome browser app. it's poo poo that they got rid of the visualizer tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

yeah echopenis

also the other one

i dont know of other music trackers

but seriously.. since discovering spotify.. i mean i dont have obscure music tastes and spotify just owns all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Spotify discover owns

• Locked thread