Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Those are the first two SLs people think of when they say "P3 Protag is a Sociopath", yes.

And Edogawa quite frankly has no business being anywhere near high school students, the man's a walking lawsuit waiting to happen for more than one reason.

And yet if the P4 animation is canon, he's still there in 2011.

As for Chariot, we'll see that Kaz has his reasons for doing what he's doing. It's an awful reason, but his heart's in the right place.

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

GoneRampant posted:

As for Strength Chariot, we'll see that Kaz has his reasons for doing what he's doing. It's an awful reason, but his heart's in the right place.

Come on, people, it's not that hard.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Edogawa is the sentient representation of the developers, he controls everything.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
To be fair... Chariot and Strength, while not directly next to each other, are both seen as "masculine" and "feminine" mirrors of each other and the concept of struggle and victory. The former is the physical victory over a designated foe over the waging of war (established in Kaz' struggle over you, his rival, and now his own body), while Strength is more the emotional struggle of the heart, and the victory of mercy and compassion over brute force (despite the physical and very :black101: image of this card, that of a woman wrestling with/taming a lion).

They both emphasize struggle, they just come at it from a different angle. So it's not too surprising that they get mixed up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GoneRampant posted:

And yet if the P4 animation is canon, he's still there in 2011.
Was he not in P4 PS2? He's definitely in Golden.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Commander Keene posted:

Was he not in P4 PS2? He's definitely in Golden.
He is, he tells the story of Izanagi and Izanami.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

April is now over, so it's time to once again see what happens in an alternative timeline...

A weird detail to change, but Kotone doesn't wake up from the Magician stuff until the 19th. You probably wouldn't normally notice or care that this IS different, though (Makoto woke up on the 17th).

In a weird bit of streamlining, Junpei also joins SEES on a different day; the 21st here as opposed to the 19th before.

And we then IMMEDIATELY go to Tartarus for the tutorial. During the forced entry of the Velvet Room at this point...

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

Tell me... When you think of this person, what do you see?
Is it a man?
I see... Then let's bring him out for a proper introduction.

So, we have a choice of Attendant here. Still no return of the classics, like Belladonna or Nameless though. Theo is pretty great and it's a crime that the only way we know this route technically happened is that he turns up in Persona Q.

Anyway, here he's voiced by Travis Willingham. Who, in completely random trivia that you probably already know, is married to Laura Bailey.

And now we'll just skip ahead to after the tutorial is done, because we don't needta see that twice.

One thing I appreciate is that this game stole the rank up graphical style from Persona 4. It's not quite as cool as Persona 5's but it's a bit more streamlined and I appreciate that it's here.

A Way of Life

One of the weirder changes is that Be Blue V doesn't sell accessories now. It's not a big deal and it won't even matter really, but it sure threw me off at first.

Mercifully, Kurosawa sells them at his totally legitimate arms dealer second job. The nebulous "connections" aside, the only way I see this really working is if he's selling us stuff out of the evidence locker or what have you.

First day of free time doesn't have much for anyone to do, so we'll spend that at the movies too. Next day, however...

:siren: After School :siren:

I know someplace that's really good! It'll be my treat! C'mon, let's go!
Sweet, let's go!
Alright, now you're talkin'.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to be surprised by this.

> It's crowded, but luckily you were able to get in without much waiting.

That sounds good.
Well... I'm sure it'll be better than you're expecting.

> After a few moments, the waiter brings two ramen bowls to you.

> The fragrant smell rising from the bowls makes your stomach growl...

C'mon, try it.

> You take a bite...

> The distinct taste of the soup blends well with the thick noodles...

I've never had anything like this.
Haha! Good, right? Well then, I'm digging in too. Chow time!
Ahh, hot hot hot...
Man, this is great!

> Although Junpei eats noisily, he seems to be enjoying his ramen...

Hey... Do you feel okay now?

Thanks...
Huh? Oh, um... No need to thank me...
I had some problems myself when I transferred here, too.

I was wondering if you weren't accustomed to school or whatever...
Then again, I think you'll do just fine.

> Junpei seems embarrassed and laughs...

> You can sense Junpei's thoughtfulness towards you...

The Power of the Heart

I love that Junpei is the character that represents the Junpei Social Link. I dunno, it's just perfect in its simplicity.

After School

Stop smirking like that.
Aww... I can't help it.
Oh, but I don't drag love into my work.
Then again, I can't guarantee that I won't fall for somebody, mwahaha!

> You and Junpei chatted for a while, then headed back.

So, yeah, this is a pretty significant difference. New S.Links! You can probably guess some of the others at this point (if you don't already know them).

Also we're going to Tartarus immediately. Not so much for the money (no, Kotone's money problems come LATER because Maniac's only point of difficulty is economic inflation) but because this is the best chance for a while.

The Voice Someone Calls

So, uh, we'll be glossing over most of the actual Tartarus trip here. This is a big deal though; I forget its here a bunch, but it makes the Terminal Points kind of irrelevant for their primary purpose. This can even take you to floors like, say, floor 6 which is just a random floor that you normally can't warp to. I appreciate it but I also dislike it.

I'unno, I'm kind of weirdly fickle like that.

Also, Mitsuru gives us all this poo poo. Decent healing items, SP recovery, items that let you warp out of Tartarus/guaranteed escape from randoms and... Cadenza. Yeah, so, Fusion Spells here are just items that you can use. This is both better and much, much worse than what vanilla/FES do.

Oh, uh, Skill Cards! Right. They're a thing backported from 4 as well that originated here, actually! (at least in this particular way) Get a Persona up to a specific level and gain the listed card; it just teaches one of your Persona the listed skill. Some are way, WAY better than others, yes...

Also, uh, the EXP scaling is way, way different here. I'd call it "fixed" but it feels a bit too much in the other direction now. This is on the upper end for the first few floors but the lower end is like 9 so...

And this is with the 1 of Wands. Jeez. Haven't even gotten to the Venus Eagles yet!

Nekomata is still Nekomata, but we need to get her to level 11 for her card. We won't; it takes a ton of grinding even in the best case scenario. Provoke is not good enough for that.

Also on floor 6, we find this. It, uh. I reset at this point to NOT get this. Because getting this here is ridiculous.

Anyway, Kotone and co EASILY get to the barrier Mitsuru mentioned so we'll just split the timestream here and come back to that later...

Time

So, sports teams! Tennis is cool and good and I really like tennis.

The only alternative is volleyball and that is ALSO cool and good. Hrm. This is tricky.

Well, let's think... we're doing Kendo in the other timeline, so...

Joy

She's Kotone Shiomi from class 2-F. Everybody be nice to her, okay?
Nice to meet you all!

> This club seems to have a rather friendly atmosphere.

> At the very least it seems that you're welcome here...

Um, who was the leader for the juniors?

Ohey, it's... uh... that girl. You know the one! Yeah, her!

Oh, good. I'll leave the rest to you. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do here anyway. *giggle*
...All right.

> Ms. Kanou left...

Tanned: Haaa! That sounds exactly like her. She's too old to try to act cute like that.
...C'mon, let's get back to practice!

I'm in charge of the juniors in the club, so don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Man, these days are different. That's nice and all but it's one of the many things that means I need a completely different schedule for this...

Thanks.
Well then, we're gonna concentrate on doing basic exercises today, so come on and join in.
Just keep up as much as you can.

I keep telling you all that the fundamentals are important! Let's start off with some running.

Club Members: Alright...

Kotone-san, you stand in this line.
If you start getting worn out, just keep your mind focused and you'll be able to pull through.
I'll be all right!
Ahaha, you sound promising.

> Rio seems to be taking her role in the club seriously...

The Power of the Heart

Joy

Club Members: One, two...

> After running laps, you went through a series of muscle exercises...

> Then you diligently went through basic drills in serving and receiving.

> You decided to go back to the dorm after practice ended.

The Hierophant S.Link is started and plays out completely identical to before, so we'll just skip over it for now.

But this? This is important. Also different again, dammit.

So, what does this mean in practice?

Kotone comes back tomorrow and it gets to rank 2. This didn't happen before because Sunday is the closed day for Makoto, and he went to the movies instead. (We'll see the actual scene for this later, don't worry.)

Time

So, let's completely mess up time itself for a moment...

Wanna go somewhere?
Hmm... okay. I wasn't doing anything today, anyway. Alright, let's go.

> You stopped somewhere on the way home with Yukari...

Joy

Still haven't come here outside of these sorts of scenes. Hmm.

U-Um, well...
There's... something I need to say to you.
What is it?
Um... You probably might not remember, but...
Um... When you woke up in the hospital...

You know how I said all those things to you right after you woke up?
Like, "you're the same as me," and "you're alone," and stuff about your parents...

I mean, I lost my dad, but in your case it's both your parents...
And even though things may seem the same, people react to them differently...
But I ignored how you might've felt and forced my own opinions onto you.
I've been worrying all this time that I might've said some unfair things to you that day.
...And I want to properly apologize for it. I'm sorry.

You might not like it, since it's teh fact that we're both missing parents...
Still, I've never had anyone who could understand it around me before...
It's different for everyone else at school. They have both their parents at home...
They can complain about how they'll get yelled at if they come home late...
I... When I hear stuff like that, I feel jealous.
But I hate that feeling that way, so I hide it... And because I can't tell anyone that, I feel distant.
I felt lonely.

...Yiked! Sorry! I'm being selfish again, I know.
But, the fact that you're part of our group now makes me feel a lot better.

Haha, I'm just going around in circles with this pity party, aren't I?
But... That's how I really feel.

> Yukari confided in you.

> You feel as if you've gotten a little closer to Yukari...

The Power of the Heart

So, Yukari is not unique to this route. Getting the S.Link this early, however, is. For the "main" run, we'll need to wait several more in-game months before we can even attempt to start it. As a result of that, the initial scene for it (at minimum) is significantly different. Hence why we broke time to do this one now.

Joy

> ...You decide to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

So, Junpei doesn't give us ISO and instead considers about playing it himself. I guess (in his head) girls just don't play games or MMOs or something??

Next school day, rather than waiting 'til evening to tell us about sidequests Theo opts to do it in the afternoon. This matters. This matters a lot!

The sidequests available are almost identical to before, but we don't have one to perform a Cadenza. Makes sense, since it's just an item here.

Naturally, to accomodate the skill cards a few rewards are changed around. Oh and this one gives us armor instead of Revival Beads.

What makes this important though is that we can accept the quest to show Theo around Paulownia Mall and this option appears immediately. Well, no time like the present!

:siren: A Date With Theo :siren:
definitely watch this if you can/want to/whatever

Joy

...Indeed, it's exactly as I imagined.

> Despite these words, Theo's eyes are clearly glimmering with excitement...

Are you excited to be here?

> Theo is mumbling...

......? What is that over there?

> Theo is pointing to the water fountain.

The dwellers of this world must get thirsty easily.
I don't think that's it.
I-I know its true purpose, of course.

Oh Theo, you poor boy.

That's not it.
......!
...It was only my small joke.
So... Wh-What is it actually for?
A bit of scenery...?
...I see.

> Theo seems distraught for some reason...

Hm...? And what, pray tell, is this facility here?

> Theo headed towards the police station.

These photographs...

I see... So the concept of subjugation requests is not unknown here.
We don't kill them.
Ah? In that case, you mus have to capture them alive... Only a skilled hunter could accomplish it.

> Theo is nodding triumphantly...

If there are hunters of such talent in this world as well, I may want to make a few requests of my own...

Hm...? What is that?

Could this be "club" of rumor...?
You know about it?
Yes, I heard no end of it...

...Though this marks my first time seeing it in person.
Well then, let us venture in...
...It's closed...!?
This can't be...

> Theo is in utter shock...

It seems... I have no choice but to turn back...

> Theo is slightly tearing up.

> ...You decide to show him the arcade.

Ar...cade...?

Theo, please. I have so much to teach you...

Hmm.. A-All right, let us investigate.

"Bird controlling game"...?
The things inside this case... Those are birds?
They look to my eye more like stuffed animals made of cloth...

> Theo is lost in thought...

Ah... Excuse me. I note another aquatic pool over here.

> Theo headed towards the fountain in the corner of Paulownia Mall...

> He seems restless for some reason...

> He's looking around as well...

> ...He abruptly stuck his hand into the water.

It's 8 degrees Celsius.
You can tell?
Of course I can.

...This world has its charms.
I... would relish the chance to visit it again sometime.
Thank you very much for today.

> You returned to the Velvet Room with Theo.

End

We'll also clear out almost all the remaining quests here, since we can. There's only two we can't, because Grave Beetles don't drop a shell if we don't have the quest active and the other one left can ONLY be done on May 2nd.

Oh and going out with Theo doesn't use time. How nice! So, let's hang out with Junpei as well.

After School

I've been looking forward to this coming out!

> Junpei's eyes are lit up...

C'mon, let's go in!
Ooh, are you looking forward to it too? Alright, let's get some good seats!

> You and Junpei watched the movie "Double-Barreled Justice" together.

> Seeing the action scenes on the big screen was overwhelming...

> ...The story was surprisingly complex.

It was... kinda not what I was expecting.

> Junpei cocks his head...

The villain wasn't all that evil. It kinda killed it for me when he started talking about his tragic past...
It isn't cool if you have to beat somebody who didn't want to be a bad guy.
Bad guys should be evil all the way to the core. It's just more satisfying.

> Junpei shrugs...

Oh, you still got time, right? Let's grab something to eat on the way back.

> You came here with Junpei.

I sort of figured it'd be a bit longer 'til we came here. Guess not, huh? Thanks Junpei.

Oh, crap... The guys at school might say some stuff if they see us together.

Plus, the famous Yuka-tan and Mitsuru-senpai live in the same dorm, too.
There are a lot of dudes who envy me because of that...
I'm... sorry?
Yeah, it's your fault!

I mean, you're not all excited and asking me who's saying all this stuff.
...I mean, of curse you aren't. No girl would be that desperate.

> Junpei nods triumphantly.

Also, I know you've probably got your hands full with your own stuff now.
Actually, the same goes for me, too...

> Junpei's expression suddenly turns serious...

Want more fries? You don't mind sharing with me, right?

> You and Junpei chatted for a while before heading back.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 11, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Weren't skill cards new to P3P and then backported to P4G, actually?

Anyway, I vaguely remember some calendar changes happening for Makoto's version of P3P, too, because I remember some folks over on GameFAQs throwing hissy fits that they couldn't follow the old max S-Link guide for FES since some events were rearranged.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Skill Cards and actually being able to control your party members just crushes the difficulty of P3P. It's ridiculously easy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Elizabeth and Theodore were both in Q. I wonder what they're up to when their counterpart is in the Velvet Room.

Also, Theo is adorable. :allears:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yay for more Portable content!

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have just spoiled who represented the new Social Links in Portable, sorry Dragon.

But yeah, Theodore is fantastic; loved both the Velvet Room attendants in P3. Junpei's link is awesome too- a lot of the bad S-Links in FES get replaced with much better links in Portable, except for Hermit, which was replaced with a weaker link. So we replace Kenji perving on his teacher with being a bro with Junpei.

I'm not gonna do a write up on the Lovers yet though; I think I'm gonna do a soft rule of "I'll only talk about an Arcana after both MCs have started the link."

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I like Theo. Theo's a good, if somewhat sheltered, guy. Now his female counterpart on the other hand...

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The P3 movie series gave the most sensible explanation for where the group's weapons came from. There, it was changed so that they were specially made by the Kirijo Group for attacking shadows.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I was going to ask why the Kirijo Group doesn't just supply them with weapons. Seems like it'd make more sense than a cop giving out katanas and greatbows because he senses something awry.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I wish the Persona 3 movies had used these loving weird and cool quick cuts and other style stuff from the anime scenes in the game. Instead they were just kind of bland and made questionable use of their screen time. Ah well

Meanwhile in Persona 4 The Animation the group just uses no weapons at all after they get busted carrying swords in an early episode and instead fight only with their personas.

theshim posted:

Skill Cards and actually being able to control your party members just crushes the difficulty of P3P. It's ridiculously easy.

Some of us had never played anything SMT before P3P and appreciated being able to actually beat the game, thank you very much. .... also I think I never used the skill cards because I was afraid I'd waste them.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 21, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Weren't skill cards new to P3P and then backported to P4G, actually?

Were they? I coulda swore they were in vanilla 4 just linked to the Fusion Forecast thing.

I absolutely could be misremembering though since I haven't played 4 in forever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dragonatrix posted:

Were they? I coulda swore they were in vanilla 4 just linked to the Fusion Forecast thing.

I absolutely could be misremembering though since I haven't played 4 in forever.

Fusion Forecast just allowed you to get specific bonuses, including skills, for fusing certain Personas on specific days, like fusing Yoshitsune on a specific day to get Debilitate on him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Meanwhile in Persona 4 The Animation the group just uses no weapons at all after they get busted carrying swords in an early episode and instead fight only with their personas.

That was pretty funny.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Fusion Forecast just allowed you to get specific bonuses, including skills, for fusing certain Personas on specific days, like fusing Yoshitsune on a specific day to get Debilitate on him.
something something Kaiwan something Victory Cry something

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Theo also gets some story time in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, for what it's worth.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

His best scenes are in PQ.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I probably just conflated the Skill Change and Skill Cards in general at some point, then. Not much of a surprise, though I did also remember Victory Cry Kaiwan so confabulation only explains it so far.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Being able to start Yukari's Social Link in April on the girl's route is such a cool change, I'll never get over it. I'm in the minority, but I also like the new girls added to FemC's route for Strength and Hermit, they're cute and good.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moltrey posted:

Being able to start Yukari's Social Link in April on the girl's route is such a cool change, I'll never get over it. I'm in the minority, but I also like the new girls added to FemC's route for Strength and Hermit, they're cute and good.

I think most people who've played both FES and Portable will agree that Strength and Chariot got better S-Links in the FeMC route. But I can't for the life of me see what makes Portable's Hermit better than FES Hermit.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno. I haven't played through P3P. I feel like a lot of the Social Links in P3 couldn't have gotten much worse, though, so anything they did on Magician, Chariot, and a few others would have been better by default. I also feel that P3P backporting the way P4 handled the opposite-gender Social Links is a huge improvement over the way P3 did.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Moon.

No further discussion necessary.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Theo is the best attendant. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, let's see what May has for us. A new month means new opportunity!

Want To Be Close / Time

Well, it IS May already. It's amazing how time flies...
I guess.
So much has been happening...
Ya know, it doesn't seem like the number of Apathy Syndrome cases has been decreasing lately...
We're the only ones who can fight the Shadows, so...
I guess we should train more, so that we're ready if anything like THAT comes up again.
...Me especially. I don't wanna be a burden on everyone else.

Though we skip straight to after school, today's taken up with something else...

Just Visiting

He called me earlier, and asked me to bring him something.
Yup, he knows who to count on.

I'm kind of surprised, but also not really, that Junpei's a member of the good ol' Going Home Club...

H-Hey, I resent that.
*giggle* I'm just kidding. So, what'd he want you to bring?

What's he want that for?
...Well, I don't have practice today, so I'll go with you.
You're coming too, right?
Sure.
Cool.
W-Wait a minute...
What? Is there a problem?
Well, it was ME he asked...

Troubled

...in this room? By any chance?

We came to see you!
But... it doesn't look like anything's wrong with you.
I'm just here for a checkup.

So, Akihiko's visitor here is voiced by Grant George. As far as Persona cares, he was also Boy with Earring/Naoyo Toudou/The Protagonist of Persona 1 in the PSP remake. which is also good and you should totally at least check it out

Yeah, thanks.
Tch... I don't have time for this poo poo.

A friend from school... sort of.
You know how the number of Apathy Syndrome cases have been increasing?

Hey Junpei, did you bring what I asked?
Of course, Senpai.

Uh, you shouldn't move your arm...
It's nothing. I've wasted enough time already. I need to get back to my training.
Yeah! Gekkoukan's golden boy! He was born to be in the ring!
Sometimes, I really don't get you.
By the way, Senpai, why boxing?
You mean, why did I choose that sport? Well...

...and I don't want to feel that way again.
Besides, I'm curious to see how strong I can get. It's like a game, only I'm competing against myself.
That's an interesting way of looking at it.
Ya know, I'm into games too...
Yeah, VIDEO games.
Hey, they're good for hand-eye coordination!

It's good to know that Junpei is That Guy who uses this as an excuse for why playing video games is totally worthwhile and important honest.

End

Iwatodai Dorm

It may take some time for Akihiko to fully heal, and I don't want anything like that to happen again.
Besides, the number of victims seems to have been increasing.
...I have a bad feeling about that.
We had best muster as much strength as we can.

So, don't worry. Heal, support, attack... Whatever you need, we got your back!
Huh? Which enemy would we attack first? ...The one that's about to die, of course!
Listen, if you don't know what to do, just choose Act Freely.

Disagree very heavily. Act Freely is bad and leads to people coming up with arbitrary complaints that aren't actual complaints. Its real problem is that it's just not as efficient as any of the more dedicated tactics.

This is all Mitsuru has to say right now, so uh, yeah. I guess she did have a point earlier re: Tartarus though. We're not gonna go today, mind you.

Yeah, I think so.
Akihiko-senpai said that guy goes to our school, but I've never seen him there before...

A-And that's the latest word from the man on the street. Now, back to the studio for more news...

So, what to do today? Let's see, it's Friday so...

The arcade seems like a good plan to me. We're going to put this Courage to use sooner than you think, but it's still a bit of a ways away...

Want To Be Close / Time

Listening: Ehh... Not really. But I'm not gonna miss tomorrow's show!

Gossiping: When I hear that jingle, I can't resist buying something... I never miss it when it's on Sunday afternoons. I'm about to go broke!

> The first bell had rung.

Tanaka's show turns up in one way or another in every single Persona game from 3 onwards. Since it's only around once a week, you'd think it'd be easy to forget it exists. You'd be wrong. Very, very wrong...

So, what to do today... well, this is our first chance to show Elizabeth around. Let's do just that!

A Date With Elizabeth
really gonna recommend just watching this instead trust me

Joy

This must be a "fountain"...
It makes sport of water, well known to all to be the foundation of life... How wicked!
It's rumored that its enchanting nature grants wishes to those who sacrifice a few coins...
That's a superstition.
...Is that so?
Is it possible that the worth of the coins wasn't sufficient to pique the fountain spirit's interest...?
Fortunately, I anticipated this, and brought a good supply of coins.

I shall make an opening bid to the fountain spirit of 1,000,000 yen.

Um...!

So yeah, uh, Liz is VERY different to Theo...

> The torrent of coins is like a waterfall...

Ah...!

This won't do...
I shall give it more careful consideration before I return here in the near future...

There are some stern-faced gentlemen inside...
And these photgraphs displayed so prominently...
Most Wanted... Reward...

You don't kill them...
I see... So they must be captured alive.
You've sated my curiosity.

It can't be... Is this... A "club"!?
Dancers, dictated by the sway of one's inner passions... A subterranean garden of uninhibited spectacle...

...Such a pity. I had hoped to join in the wild ritual...

Ooh! That was quite satisfying.
But I'm overwhelmed... Everything looks so new and inviting. Everywhere I look, something catches the eye.
...If you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could recommend our next activity?
Karaoke.
Karaoke... is that...?

It seems the time has come to show you my hidden talents...

...Y'know I'm really unsure on whether Theo just casually being able to get the exact temperature is better or worse than Liz dumping in 1mil.

Hm!? Yet another fountain, on the opposite side...

I think it's the quantity of these incidents that does it; if she did the 1mil once, it'd win out handily.

I see... so this place is host to a trinity of fountain spirits.

I'm kind of very disappointed we don't get to see even a little bit of that.

I consider this mission fully accomplished.
This may sound forward, but... I'd like to accompany you again sometime.

> You headed back to the Velvet Room with Elizabeth.

End

That fountain... I still haven't made a decision on what to wish for.

And I was so set on it, that thinking of something else is proving to be... difficult.
...Oh! I've finally come up with something.
I'll wish to think of a wish. There... that wasn't so hard.
Now as for a reward, I've prepared something special.

Can, won't. Not because she's bad (whe we DO make her, she'll probably be really good!) but because she's level 20...

She is a charming Persona, combining the looks of a sweet girl with powerful abilities.

So, uh, now that we've kind of got to know Liz and Theo somewhat, let's get weird. And by weird I mean you probably already knew this, but... their names are taken from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. And, uh, associated materials thereof.

Elizabeth is named after Elizabeth Lavenza, the wife and, uh, adopted sister of Dr. Victor Frankenstein. It was the 1800s, but even Mary Shelley knew that was weird so she removed the marriage thing in later versions.

Theo is a bit less clear cut. He's got two potential namesakes, though neither of them are characters from the book. Dr Theodore Bohmer is a character from the 1942 film The Ghost of Frankenstein and the alternative is Theodor con Holst, the first illustrator of the novel. I don't buy the latter, because no Attendant has been named after Mary Shelley herself and that would happen first by far.

...Yeah, and, Igor himself totally falls into this pattern as well being arguably named after Ygor from the 1931 Universal movie. Ygor was an invention for the film, and let's be honest Bela Lugosi did such a great job that it's super-easy to forget that Ygor isn't even in the book. The pattern didn't formally start until 3 though, so I would be surprised if they didn't decide to just run with it when wiping the slate clean.

Uh, anyway. Cadenza is a thing that was cast at some point or another I guess. I can't say I remember doing it but whatever. This nets us some Agilao Gems which is going to prove very important. No, really.

This unlocks another request for a Fusion Skill, but we can't do this one for a while. It clearly requires Jack Frost and Pyro Jack but Frosty is level 8 and Pyro Jack's even higher...

Want To Be Close / Time

Fortunately, despite the last line implying that Liz's hangout takes time, it doesn't. So we can head back to school and see if we can find someone there.

Hmm... How should I deal with this?

Just seeing him makes me smile.

You can see someone else in this corridor too, in fact. I wonder who that could be...

Ah, so THIS is where Mitsuru hangs out, huh?

Yeah. Want to join me?
...Sorry, I'm busy. I'm going to study for a while before I go back.
Make sure you don't neglect your own studies.
I know you have other things to worry about, but studying should be a student's number one priority.

Kind of a shame we can't hang out with Mitsuru right now, but maybe one day. Hmm, so for now...

Sure, Yuko'll do. We don't have a Strength Persona even remotely close to being available right now though. The first one is level, uh, 11...

Joy

And now we can even check out the "proper" version of Wild-Duck Burger. I'm sure this is what you were really interested in, after all.

What happened?
Well, nothing major. Maybe I exaggerated a bit...

But seriously, I have been feeling kind of down lately...
...Mr. Ekoda asked to speak with me. He wanted to know why I turned in a blank quiz.

Getting a bit too real here, game...

Then, he got pissed off! He even yelled at me about the length of my skirt!
Who cares about Classic Literature anyway!? Besides, I didn't do anything wrong!
Right, Makoto-kun!?

Do your school work, Yuko.

I agree.
Exactly.

Doesn't he realize we're only teenagers? Now's the time to enjoy life!
Who cares about stories by a bunch of dead guys!?
Maybe I should be a science major. Then, I wouldn't have to take Classic Literature...
Wait! Then, I'd have to take Physics...

My reputation as an "intellectual" would be ruined. *blush*
That's true.
That was a joke... Y-You're supposed to play along!

I didn't mean to trick you! ...Is my nose getting longer!?
You're so gullible... You shouldn't believe everything people say.
Mr. Ekoda asked me to write a 3-page essay, reflecting on my performance in his class...
Three pages!? Is he serious!? What does he expect me to say!?
But I guess I have no choice, if I want to graduate. Otherwise, I'll have to repeat his class.
I can't wait to celebrate graduation with everyone, especially the team...
And you too, Makoto-kun.
...Or, am I getting ahead of myself?

> It seems Yuko has taken a liking to you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

Bye-bye.

> After saying goodbye to Yuko, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

I asked some peeps if they wanted to hang out, but the only ones interested were guys...
Man, I don't want no sausage fest...

You had best use your time wisely.
*sigh* You HAD to remind me...

Yeah, uh, midterms start on 5/18 for reference (you can see this at any-time on the Calendar in your room or in the menu!) and... to get the best score possible you need an Academics that's at least at rank 3 which is absurd. It's possible, sure, but it generally requires spending time studying that could be best used on anything else. We probably won't get it (yet) is what I'm saying, sorry.

Some Personas have skills, other Personas have physical abilities.
Remember, it's important to use a Persona that suits your style.

Akihiko's advice here seems really weirdly out of place. Like it would make a lot more sense if this was like Persona 1 or 2 where everyone can change freely, but here it's just a sort-of tutorial that kind of stretches suspension of disbelief somewhat.

Therefore, fighting an enemy by yourself will gain you the most experience.
The more experience you gain from fighting, the stronger you and your Persona will become.

Considering EXP scales, this isn't necessarily as useful as it sounds later. It has a resurgence in a big way far, FAR down the line... but until then, it's just a good thing to keep in mind to potentially grind up other people easier.

Well, those are the best times to go to Tartarus, dude.
You'll definitely kick a lot of rear end!

So naturally, they scheduled midtersm right after the break... It sucks!

The Hachiju Hachiya means "88th Night." It marks the beginning of the late dew season. It's widely known that this time of tear is when the best tea leaves are picked. There were many tea parties thrown around town in celebration.

Let's see, it's 5/2 now and according to one quest's description we can really only finish it today so...

You need some? Why would I have pine resin...?
......! Ohhh, okay... You mean the powder we use in Archery Club, right? The yellow stuff?
We use it even in practices, so it runs out quick...
But I think I have some left. Hang on.

What did you need it for, anyway? Got a bow to take care of? Well, whatever.

Well, we could immediately go to Paulownia and give this to Elizabeth there but... there might be a better way.

Like, say, let's go to Tartarus. It IS Saturday and all...

And THEN give Elizabeth the Pine Resin!

Ah, no... it must be the pine resin I requested.
It does look like soybean powder, though...

Your reward for this assignment will be soybean powder.
Ah, excuse me. I was just cooking something with soybean powder, so...
...Hmm. Which hand was the pine resin in... my right, or my left...?
They look so similar...
Please accept your reward.

This is an item equivalent of an instant-kill spell. It has its uses for sure, but of course being Expel elemental anything worth using it on is immune.

tartarus_0d01

So, let's see if we can finish off Thebel this time. Since we don't have much left in terms of unique content, this should (appear to) be brief at least!

This is kind of nice, but Elemental Gems have a secret downside that means we probably won't use them all that much. It's worth it just for the functionally free multi-target attack at least.

Once we hit floor 7, Mitsuru chimes in with information that there is indeed a boss fight upstairs... somewhere. Useful!

That's a pretty small Shadow. That means it's probably just one thing... Grave Beetles always come alone...

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Since we crept up on it from directly behind, this was nice and easy to snag at least. Sure enough, it IS a Grave Beetle too!

Thanks to Angel giving us actual Wind capability, we can drop it reasonably quickly as well. As for the cut-ins that will inevitably keep cropping up, they sure look cool... but that's all they do. They don't guarantee your attack to hit (at least here), they don't ensure extra damage, they're just style not substance. Which is kinda disappointing, but whatever I'm super okay with that.

Since we have the quest to get a Beetle Shell active, the Grave Beetle actually does drop it too. I do believe they're guaranteed so long as the quest is active, so you COULD get more than 1. I don't know why you would though...

Oh and from 6F+ we can also encounter these guys. They're basically miniature enemy versions of Yukari, without the ability to heal. They use bows to attack and cast Garu. They do have a weakness that's actually exploitable at least.

tartarus_0d01

On 8F, Mitsuru just gives us good advice and recommends we bail if we're too injured/Tired. While I totally agree with that, I am far too arrogant and overly confident for my own good and almost never do so unless it's actively a liability. You'd think the extra damage received and reduced damage dealt would be incentive enough...

But, see, it really isn't. In fact for a lot of trash Shadows I just kite them around at this point and see what I can get out of it. Sometimes it's useful. Others... it's, uh, Medicine.

Absolutely nothing of substance happens on the 9th floor so we'll skip to the 10th!

Definitely going to want to active the Terminal Point just in case...

And then take this thing back to Elizabeth!

It is by far one of the most lucrative things we can do at this stage after all.

Anyway, uh, how about that boss fight?

Magician Dancing Hand x3 (Portable)

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Yeah, uh, no. These guys are kind of easy compared to the Venus Eagle. Honestly, there's only one reason I reckon they aren't the other way around...

That they're weak to Strike sure doesn't hurt, but it does mean we'd normally need to ditch Orpheus and pray that Bash gets inherited on fusion for it to be viably exploitable. But! Ara Mitama comes with it by default!

As for what these guys can do, they can cast all the single target first tier Elemental spells.

...And apparently they can cast this? That's the meanest thing about this fight, right there.

Tentarafoo is a multi-target ailment spell that has a base 25% chance to inflict Panic. Fortunately, it isn't quite as mean as it is in later Persona games since this just closes off skills and that's basically it here. But, uh, that can potentially be bad enough if it hits Makoto.

Anyway, my main plan for these guys is really simple. Knock 'em all down, don't All Out Attack, make sure Yukari doesn't ruin anything and hope to God that Junpei doesn't miss and kills one.

Thankfully, the AI obliges provided thigns go as planned. This makes the remaining two hands waste their turns getting back up and then we knock 'em flat onto their... palms?... again and then we do AOA and end the fight. Nice and easy.

At least that's what we WOULD do if I didn't have a cunning plan...

They give okay EXP and 3 Mazio Gems is potentially nice. Resistance-wise, they're relatively tame there being immune to Expel/Curse (for sensible reasons) and resistant to Fire/Ice/Elec/Wind. That's it. They have 220HP and 120SP so we can't realistically run them out of spellcasting anytime quickly.

End

tartarus_0d01

A dumb thing about vanilla and FES is that it doesn't tell you if your party members level up following a boss fight. So you have to manually check and, sure enough, they did. This is pretty important since now Yukari and Junpei can actually hit weaknesses sometimes. It's kind of hilarious that Yukari learns her first three skills at levels 4, 5 and 16 though.

Fixed treasure on this floor is a pair of higher-end SP restoratives. Once again, I feel like this is weirdly paced and doesn't necessarily make sense. It's fitting for the boss fight and all, but maybe like 5 Snuff Souls would've been more level appropriate? Not like I'm complaining all that much though!

From 11 onwards, we get some new Shadows added to the rotation again. We'll see them in time, I'm sure.

As an added bonus, we find a rare treasure chest that gives us a Juzumaru as well. I will need one more before I'm satisfied enough with this, though...

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Floors 11 onwards add this one new Shadow. Yep. One. It's two humanoids that are connected by skewers which is kinda hardcore I guess?

They can do this which is pretty mean. Even meaner is the AI explicitly cheating with its targetting here.

Trance Twins ARE weak to Fire and Junpei has Agi now, but he'd never used it before.

Neither aspect of this winning plan was exactly known by the AI at the time...

tartarus_0d01

On the 12th floor, Mitsuru tells us where the next boss fight is. Exactly. Impressive! I also think the dialogue here got messed up and this should be on the 13th...

Ah well, while looking for the stairs leading on up to the 13th, we find this. A Traesto Gem might be useful at some point as a quick means of leaving Tartarus without finding an Access Point.

On the 13th floor, Mitsuru decides to get vague again. This is why I'm pretty sure the dialogue here is backwards. It's really clearer the other way around after all.

Ah well, it's not like it matters too much. At least the 13th lets us find a nice piece of armor.

It's flatout better than anything else we have AND gives a Strength boost? Definitely giving this to Junpei then.

Speaking of armor, there is some... special armor around the middle of the block (from 6+) that I'll definitely go back and get because it's worth seeing.

Anyway, we'll worry about that later! For now, the 14th floor awaits and with it the boss fight against... one Shadow? Well, this should be easy.

...Ahahaha noooo. At this point, everyone is Tired, I'm missing a key element to make this fight viable and I don't want to get Sick today so we're going to just bail. Having the Terminal Point active will save time getting back here later though!

The Voice Someone Calls

You again?
It's been a while. Are you well?

Be careful. A new ordeal awaits you...
What kind of ordeal?

You must prepare for the ordeal, but time is of the essence... I'm sure you're aware of that, of course.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 13, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Disagree very heavily. Act Freely is bad and leads to people coming up with arbitrary complaints that aren't actual complaints. Its real problem is that it's just not as efficient as any of the more dedicated tactics.
Absolutely true. Nobody should ever be on Act Freely. Every time somebody complains about Mitsuru's Marin Karin "spam", I'm thinking "No, you just don't know how to play the game." If you expect Act Freely to be a free ride through the game, you're going to end up with a lot of Artificial Stupidity on the part of your allies. If you instead act like a leader and give your allies orders and adjust tactics to the situation, the AI is solid. There are legitimate complaints to be made about the game's AI, but most of the common ones are just Screw Loose Behind the Controller, instead.

Funny thing is, Junpei is one of the "safer" characters to leave on Act Freely, due to his focus on direct damage.

Elizabeth posted:

I shall make an opening bid to the fountain spirit of 1,000,000 yen.
So this is what she does with all of the money the Velvet Room bilks you for!

Dragonatrix posted:

Akihiko's advice here seems really weirdly out of place. Like it would make a lot more sense if this was like Persona 1 or 2 where everyone can change freely, but here it's just a sort-of tutorial that kind of stretches suspension of disbelief somewhat.
I mean, it hasn't been remarked on yet in-plot, but everyone has to be aware of Yuki's ability to wield multiple Personas and switch between them at will. It's conceivable that he's just offering advice he thought up. He may not have more than his one Persona, but he has been fighting Shadows for longer than Yuki. He may well be accustomed to thinking tactically.

Dragonatrix posted:

Thanks to Angel giving us actual Wind capability, we can drop it reasonably quickly as well. As for the cut-ins that will inevitably keep cropping up, they sure look cool... but that's all they do. They don't guarantee your attack to hit (at least here), they don't ensure extra damage, they're just style not substance. Which is kinda disappointing, but whatever I'm super okay with that.
IIRC, the cut-ins only appear when hitting a weakness or on a critical hit, so they are an early indication of the effectiveness of your attack. Not particularly useful, but it's something.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I believe you'll also get the cut-in the very first time the character uses their Persona in battle, regardless of attack outcome.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC, the cut-ins only appear when hitting a weakness or on a critical hit, so they are an early indication of the effectiveness of your attack. Not particularly useful, but it's something.

I believe this is true even in later games. I've used Lucky Punch (Very weak Physical with High Crit Chance) in Persona 5 and it seems every time I get a cut in, it's a crit.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Elizabeth Danced Crazy!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Elizabeth is already practicing her moves for P3: Dancing All Midnight.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One of the best meta aspects to Elizabeth is that her voice actress is Tara Platt- who also voices Mitsuru. So you have to imagine Platt going from Mitsuru's "You are all vermin I stomp under my foot and you will beg me for more," voice to Elizabeth's... well, Elizabethness.

It's also a drat good example of how much range Tara has, especially since I think Elizabeth is one of the only times she's shown that particular pitch to her voice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Posting the May 1st update on May 1st. :golfclap:

Edit: Wait, I'm just reading it late.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 1, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

I find Elizabeth much more entertaining than Theo, but that's just me. (Margaret is better than both, but for different reasons.)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Does she actually check your level or whatever there or does she just always say that?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GoneRampant posted:

One of the best meta aspects to Elizabeth is that her voice actress is Tara Platt- who also voices Mitsuru. So you have to imagine Platt going from Mitsuru's "You are all vermin I stomp under my foot and you will beg me for more," voice to Elizabeth's... well, Elizabethness.

It's also a drat good example of how much range Tara has, especially since I think Elizabeth is one of the only times she's shown that particular pitch to her voice.
Yeah, I never realized the two were voiced by the same VA until I was told. That's pretty impressive, and I think it makes Platt indisputably the best VA in P3. Considering some of the characters we'll meet later, that's not saying all that much (I think P3 has the worst VA of all the Atlus games I've played), but still.

Polsy posted:

Does she actually check your level or whatever there or does she just always say that?
I think she just always says that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not quite that but, yeah. It's not predetermined; they're just random platitudes moreso than anything else. I haven't bothered to check roughly how many there are, but it's mainly just variations on the same theme really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dragonatrix posted:

Thankfully, the AI obliges provided thigns go as planned. This makes the remaining two hands waste their turns getting back up and then we knock 'em flat onto their... palms?... again and then we do AOA and end the fight. Nice and easy.

At least that's what we WOULD do if I didn't have a cunning plan...

Er, did I miss something? What was the cunning plan? Were you just trying to donate the EXP to Pixie?