Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

comedyblissoption posted:

ignoring independents should be considered a losing strategy.

there were certain important primaries (e.g. new york) where you had to register as a democrat in 2015 before even the first primary debate.

But what about right-leaning independents? What about Texas going blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I too believe we can count on the poltiical committment of people who couldn;t be bothered to find out whether their state was open primary or not until they found a candidate who made their privates tingle

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Here she looks like Khan when they found him after being stranded on Ceti Alpha V for 15 years.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rangpur posted:

I too believe we can count on the poltiical committment of people who couldn;t be bothered to find out whether their state was open primary or not until they found a candidate who made their privates tingle

I know this is hard concept for you to grasp, but when people feel like a person or apparatus doesn't actually care about them, they generally don't care about that person or apparatus.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's not just that she didn't advocate for leftish things, she went further and flat-out told us we'd never have single-payer healthcare, and that fighting for a $15 minimum wage was pointless. Because that's how pragmatic progressives roll, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbWhecg47pQ

Here's her environmental outreach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqLfvQfuvsA

Here's her outreach to BLM, The Black vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIXqxpQNt0

Here's her outreach to union workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sStC2ctsLc

Here's her outreach to the anti-war wing.

MizPiz posted:

I know this is hard concept for you to grasp, but when people feel like a person or apparatus doesn't actually care about them, they generally don't care about that person or apparatus.

Naw man. That won't bite the dems in the rear end or anything. Destiny, and what have you. Plus, I mean who are people gonna vote for TRUMP!? That buffoon? He doesn't speak to anyone's desperation. Plus you know the Blue Wall that's built up in the Rust Belt. It's in the bag.

e: Not to mention she'll get moderate republican vote. They love her. It's not like they've been fed a steady diet of anti-clinton propaganda since 1992, or tried to imprison her.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Apr 9, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Rangpur posted:

I too believe we can count on the poltiical committment of people who couldn't be bothered to find out whether their state was open primary or not until they found a candidate who made their privates tingle

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the demographics of people who don't vote sway heavily towards being more progressive and it's not because you're not excited it's because you're lazy and voting is not a priority

the old conservatives on the other hand love three things: god, walmart, and voting

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

logikv9 posted:

the demographics of people who don't vote sway heavily towards being more progressive and it's not because you're not excited it's because you're lazy and voting is not a priority

the old conservatives on the other hand love three things: god, walmart, and voting

:agreed:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

Best way to save democracy would give Steam achievements and trading cards for voting

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there are as many millennials as boomers but you can't even turn out more than 17% while boomers+ can turnout 60%, and that was during the primary when you had the man himself churning out votes

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there is a real, recent boost in young voter participation: the local dem party shifts are proof of that because their pathetically small voting base can be easily rocked by even a tiny influx of young voters. but goddamn learn to loving vote early and often

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

logikv9 posted:

there is a real, recent boost in young voter participation: the local dem party shifts are proof of that because their pathetically small voting base can be easily rocked by even a tiny influx of young voters. but goddamn learn to loving vote early and often

You mean for people like Schumer and Cuomo? Yeah, I'm going to really hit the streets for candidates like them.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MizPiz posted:

You mean for people like Schumer and Cuomo? Yeah, I'm going to really hit the streets for candidates like them.

it's alright, statistics show that even with the progressive demigod on board you would've have turned out more than 17%

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving millennials not overcoming voter ID laws and voter registration deadlines that wouldn't fly in developing nations.

What a bunch of apathetic jerks.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rand alPaul posted:

loving millennials not overcoming voter ID laws and voter registration deadlines that wouldn't fly in developing nations.

What a bunch of apathetic jerks.

hosed up if true, unfortunately clinton won more open primaries and the voter ID laws are more designed to gently caress over minorities than millennials although there is plenty of overlap

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Unlike those dedicated retirees who consistently vote despite their busy schedule of

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the biggest thing to overcome apparently is the front door

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

gently caress off

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
'god drat lazy millenials' is a dumb poo poo meme for dumb poo poo people, political apathy is a result of a politics that doesn't cater to the issues that matter to them from both sides

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Both parties fall over themselves to cater to the values and interests of boomers, push and shove out any possible internal opposition telling them that that might not be the best idea, and lo and behold boomers have higher voting rates

oh but no, the idea of trends and forces having a dominant effect is too offensive to you, the answer is of course ~laziness~, we don't need to ask 'why' here, we don't need to think this one through, we've found our moralistic bullshit answer, let's go with it

very conveniently, this answer lets you shift blame from a political system that has failed to engage a sizable proportion of the voting base, onto the voting base that failed to get excited by more-of-the-same failed policies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think we can agree that Boomers are probably the worst generation especially because they grew up being spoiled and developed a FYGM attitude.

No experience like the Great Depression/WWII to make enraged over wall street greed or the general downsizing of government services.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

etalian posted:

I think we can agree that Boomers are probably the worst generation especially because they grew up being spoiled and developed a FYGM attitude.

No experience like the Great Depression/WWII to make enraged over wall street greed or the general downsizing of government services.

A significant portion of baby boomers lost everything they had in the 2008 recession; yet they still vote for republicans.

Alienwarehouse has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Apr 9, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I love it when a Boomer argues until they're blue in the face that it's good for voting days to be on workdays.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

Both parties fall over themselves to cater to the values and interests of boomers, push and shove out any possible internal opposition telling them that that might not be the best idea, and lo and behold boomers have higher voting rates

oh but no, the idea of trends and forces having a dominant effect is too offensive to you, the answer is of course ~laziness~, we don't need to ask 'why' here, we don't need to think this one through, we've found our moralistic bullshit answer, let's go with it

very conveniently, this answer lets you shift blame from a political system that has failed to engage a sizable proportion of the voting base, onto the voting base that failed to get excited by more-of-the-same failed policies

great answer if that meant that bernie garnered awesome millennial voter turnout, which he didn't

unless of course, this means that he did not appeal to them

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

logikv9 posted:

great answer if that meant that bernie garnered awesome millennial voter turnout, which he didn't

You're smarter than this.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it was undoubtedly impressive in that it was higher than before (but they've always been going up) but with those sad numbers it's the equivalent to just being happy that you passed the test after failing miserably

bernie loving sanders gets 17% 17%

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

logikv9 posted:

I think the mainstream media doing all it could to suppress Bernie's campaign might have had something to do with it. It's also pretty difficult to overcome decades of institutional inertia in building up voter apathy in a few months, with a campaign that was considered unrealistic from Day 1. Even if they had taken him seriously and given fair coverage, there still wouldn't have been enough public saturation because as far as the general public knew Bernie Sanders showed up from out of nowhere.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also doesn't help when you have registration deadlines weeks-to-months in advance of the actual primary date in your state.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also doesn't help when you have registration deadlines weeks-to-months in advance of the actual primary date in your state.

didn't help him in places where the primary deadlines were more reasonable, or were non-existent

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alienwarehouse posted:

A significant portion of baby boomers lost everyone they had in the 2008 recession - yet they still vote for republicans.

It depends on the boomer.

I've met a few who are absolutely horrified at the type of world their kids are going into. Eventually they kinda go "Yeah..uh...I guess bootstrapping can only get you so far.", "Huh, Global Warming IS real..." "Huh Big Banks ARE scum of the earth"

It's a better late than never sort of thing.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
guys im just reporting in from the other timeline and it tuirns out president martin o'malley has declared it required that thursdays are 'go topless' day and we have parties all the time. we just cleared judge jeff daniels in a historical 100-0 bipartisan vote and all the beer taxes have been eliminated

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

logikv9 posted:

didn't help him in places where the primary deadlines were more reasonable, or were non-existent

I guess there isn't a problem then

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

a helpful bear posted:

guys im just reporting in from the other timeline and it tuirns out president martin o'malley has declared it required that thursdays are 'go topless' day and we have parties all the time. we just cleared judge jeff daniels in a historical 100-0 bipartisan vote and all the beer taxes have been eliminated

is this the timeline where ISIS is defeated by o'malley's abs

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
or is this the timeline where we have colonized the solar system after president chafee's move to metric emboldens the scientific world to make amazing discoveries

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

he did, but he was also running a protest campaign and was late to start, especially compared to mi abuela. bernie's just got more popular as time's gone on.

what's the cause of you ragging on millenials logik? are you upset they don't support abuela's pet war?

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

is this the timeline where ISIS is defeated by o'malley's abs

one flex and they laid down their arms. no dry eyes on the planet

oh its good hillary is back in the spotlight in this timeline though. that's gonna be good

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's a case of self-hating and also observation because i fell down the rabbit hole looking at turnout rates

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i mean, calling millenials lazy is idiotic when they have to make due in a world with worse labor protections and job security, and lower wages than anything boomers have ever had to deal with. millenials have to work much harder than boomers ever had to just to make ends meet, and then they get to deal with a spoiled older generation that ruins everything telling them that they're lazy and don't work hard enough.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

imo the most important factor is that being politically informed is detrimental to both social life and mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv posted:

i mean, calling millenials lazy is idiotic when they have to make due in a world with worse labor protections and job security, and lower wages than anything boomers have ever had to deal with. millenials have to work much harder than boomers ever had to just to make ends meet, and then they get to deal with a spoiled older generation that ruins everything telling them that they're lazy and don't work hard enough.

i agree with you and i would like to rephrase the word lazy with laziness regarding voting. sorry 4 the confusion

• Locked thread