Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

April 22 is Earth Day, and also Earth-2 Day on Earth-2. Celebrate these days by chatting about how lovely that other Earth is. Not this one, that one. With those people on it, all backwards and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

To start, who won the election on Earth-2? I haven't read any of Rebirth so I don't know how Earth-2 is handled. Is it just different Earth, or is it "everyone sports a goatee" evil Earth?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I read Clowes' Patience recently and thought it was pretty good, and also recently finished the very good Here by Richard McGuire. I'm trying to get my wife, who has shown interest in the past, to read Here as a good intro to comics, but I'm not sure what the preferred nomenclature is for these types of books. Is "graphic novel" the established term? I know BSS has made fun of that in the past, but it's usually directed at people saying "I read graphic novels" instead of just saying they like comic books about punching. Graphic novel also seems misapplied to something like Corrigan's Building Stories, but lacking a better term I still drift towards that. Thoughts?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zachack posted:

To start, who won the election on Earth-2? I haven't read any of Rebirth so I don't know how Earth-2 is handled. Is it just different Earth, or is it "everyone sports a goatee" evil Earth?

Bad news.

We are the evil earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Earth 2 is like Earth but it blows up every few months.

Zachack posted:

is it "everyone sports a goatee" evil Earth?

Earth 3 :)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I somehow stumbled upon a Catholic blog post about the philosophy of Avengers: Age of Ultron. While the quality of the post was questionable, it got me thinking about the philosophy of superheroes, or super-powered beings. Are there any decent books on the subject? I know there's a line of "The Philosophy of <Pop Culture Thing>" books but I wonder if those are actually good. Thanks!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

They're usually worth a look, but gear up for at least a few essays that amount to "Isn't this moment from [franchise] cool? Did you know this passage from Kant is just like that?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I checked out a book called The Philosophy of Batman once and after the lead story was a thoughtful examination of the trolley problem (just dressed up with it being a Joker deathtrap and Batman being forced to decide to pull the lever or not so it'd fit) that I really enjoyed, the next one was How Can We Tell Batman Is Not The Joker, and I go in thinking "okay, like, a multiple personality thing, or...?"

Nope. It was about how philosophy can help us prove that two completely different people are in fact not the same thing. Whereupon I closed the book in disgust and that was the end of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got waaaay too into the Matrix when it came out so my dad bought me a "Philosophy and the Matrix" book and jesus christ the author was so far up his own rear end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I got waaaay too into the Matrix when it came out so my dad bought me a "Philosophy and the Matrix" book and jesus christ the author was so far up his own rear end.

Seems faithful to the source material then.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
As a philosophy minor: those books are half-assed trash that people who couldn't become professors write to justify their mistake of a degree which rarely, if ever, go more than surface level in philosophy so they can justify having spent a year on someone's couch watching/playing (topic) as "research".

If you legitimately want some good explorations of the topic I can pull a few selections.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

END ME SCOOB posted:

As a philosophy minor: those books are half-assed trash that people who couldn't become professors write to justify their mistake of a degree which rarely, if ever, go more than surface level in philosophy so they can justify having spent a year on someone's couch watching/playing (topic) as "research".

If you legitimately want some good explorations of the topic I can pull a few selections.

Yes, please.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

So it was by the writers (and therefore directors) of the sequels.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I somehow stumbled upon a Catholic blog post about the philosophy of Avengers: Age of Ultron. While the quality of the post was questionable, it got me thinking about the philosophy of superheroes, or super-powered beings. Are there any decent books on the subject? I know there's a line of "The Philosophy of <Pop Culture Thing>" books but I wonder if those are actually good. Thanks!

Not exactly superheroes, but Donaldism is a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaldism

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In case y'all were wondering who the worst superhero is, it's Manikin, the boy with the power to summon more and less evolved versions of himself

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno, that might be a terrible power, but he still seems cooler than Stingray.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

His superpower seems at least three times more useful than Arm Fall Off Boy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In light of their recent comments, I think Marvel is missing out on an opportunity here.

The greatest Deadpool book ever.

DEADPOOL KILLS DIVERSITY

It's him killing all the minority characters in the Marvel Universe one at a time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Manikin met the High Evolutionary he'd be set.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In honor of the month of fools, I'd like to remind everyone that this exists.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

END ME SCOOB posted:

I always got the impression that it was mostly adjuncts and younger professors knocking out something fast and easy for a little walking around money. I've never read an essay in one of them that was any good but I mean, generally nothing any more offensive than when I'm floundering in a lesson plan and just throw in some facile pop-culture thing because I know it'll get a flash of recognition and make a concept slightly easier to get a handle on. So I mean yeah, I agree that they're pretty bad and/or, at best, geared towards VERY entry level philosophy readers, but I feel a lot of sympathy for the contributors. I'd do one if they did them in my field, I wouldn't be proud of it, but like, if someone wanted to pay me to write about the duality of Nightcrawler's penises I wouldn't hesitate for a second. As far as slightly dubious side-gigs in academia go you could do far worse.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 4, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

In honor of the month of fools, I'd like to remind everyone that this exists.

Cover aside, that's a loving great issue.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That just makes me realize how much better Black Widow's costume would be if her little wrist things were huge Monev the Gale style gauntlets

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

That just makes me realize how much better Black Widow's costume would be if her little wrist things were huge Monev the Gale style gauntlets

wrong

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, that costume would be a good Black Widow costume in regular continuity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not very stealthy.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like how in that issue Sunspot and Cannonball party with AIM folks while Black Widow straight-up murders people in cold blood.

Which is, yeah, a good issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And Captain Marvel does a better job than James Bond at making playing cards look bad rear end.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Schneider Heim posted:

*sprints into thread* OH poo poo HERE'S MY CHANCE

A couple friends and I actually are doing a podcast that aspires to that kind of analysis; our second episode was all about Jack Kirby, and got some into considering the deeper ethical/philosophical underpinnings of Kirby's work, and our most recent episode was all about what makes the comic form work specifically with memoirs, so it isn't just the philosophy of superheroes, but it's comics & intellectualism and we occasionally name-drop important thinkers. We also end up bullshitting about dumb comics poo poo too, like whether the yellow and brown or the yellow and blue is a better Wolverine costume, but even that's at least pseudo-intellectual, so, uh, check us out?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like it when the good punchman hits the bad punchman until the bad punchman is stopped doing his bad.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr Hootington posted:

I like it when the good punchman hits the bad punchman until the bad punchman is stopped doing his bad.

But have you ever thought about why you like when good punchman hits bad punchman? You don't want to be one of those unthinking plebeians, do you?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RandallODim posted:

But have you ever thought about why you like when good punchman hits bad punchman? You don't want to be one of those unthinking plebeians, do you?

I do

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Being a plebeian owns. Give me all the pot boiler garbage

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sorry guys, but you all need to read my thesis on how superheroes are fascists.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I think I'm supposed to return to my home dimension now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Sorry guys, but you all need to read my thesis on how superheroes are fascists.

Lol if you are a grown man still reading juvenile power fantsasies.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Madkal posted:

Lol if you are a grown man still reading juvenile power fantsasies.

Luckily I have no shame and death is certain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How are still on page 1?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

How are still on page 1?

Okay fine, I like Mark Millars Ultimates and think "This A doesn't stand for France" is a funny line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Marvel guy was right that replacing all of their main characters with new people in a well-intentioned attempt to increase diversity was a mistake.

• Locked thread