Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

EccoRaven posted:

the stalling is because the window for it being a turbo has ended and now well-meaning (but ultimately harmful) townies/scum pretending to be townies are saying "wait hold up we can't vote for someone unless we think they're scum!" which is a good policy to have 93% of the time but alas this is one of those 7% of the times.

the people who follow mafia rules like that aren't wrong, since, again, 93% of the time they're doing the right thing, but without room for that 7% of nuance and compromises they can't do what needs to be done.

(what needs to be done is taking out the trash before we get into the weeds of the game. if we get lost in the weeds we'll have to sift through the trash, too, and that's just gross, I don't like rummaging through garbage if I can help it and neither do you all. So let's do the needful and call it a day.)

Okay cool ecco didnt leave for good then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Somberbrero posted:

no, now you are my spiteful son.

i'm not saying that day one discussion is never useful. town nailed scum in Over The Garden Wall day one. However, what's happening with inf is way more interesting than anything else right now. Just because the vote started as a joke/turbo whatever doesn't mean the results aren't interesting or valid. for instance

yeah, absolutely. when i say i want an explanation of why people aren't voting inf, this is why. like, sure you can chill and try to drum up other discussion, but there are a lot of inferences you can draw from this aggressive voting pattern and dismissing it out of hand is no good.

Arffffft

(Yeah, I can see where you're coming from now, and I agree that it's a worthwhile avenue to pursue.)

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
The stall makes me lean town on Inf. If he was scum I think the bros get on that for sweet sweet cred.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Moatillata posted:

Okay cool ecco didnt leave for good then

I might as well have, I really don't want to have to figure mafia out while reading someone's garbage posts.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Somberbrero posted:

no, now you are my spiteful son.

i'm not saying that day one discussion is never useful. town nailed scum in Over The Garden Wall day one. However, what's happening with inf is way more interesting than anything else right now. Just because the vote started as a joke/turbo whatever doesn't mean the results aren't interesting or valid. for instance

yeah, absolutely. when i say i want an explanation of why people aren't voting inf, this is why. like, sure you can chill and try to drum up other discussion, but there are a lot of inferences you can draw from this aggressive voting pattern and dismissing it out of hand is no good.

That's a lot to read into from this

Somberbrero posted:

can you explain WHY they are bad vote?

but, never the less I do see your point. I'm sorry for being a brat :kiddo:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

EccoRaven posted:

I might as well have, I really don't want to have to figure mafia out while reading someone's garbage posts.

*looks at player list*

you are in for a frustrating game, best start drinking now

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Also please use a nautical analogy for the infinitum lynch the trashcan one is ruining my immersion

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I would also accept some kind of time traveling analogy

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
lets talk about tofu

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Somber, can you explain why voting Inf is a good vote?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

actually ive basically plumbed the depths of tofu i dont really cook it any other ways

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

lets talk about salads

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

actually lets not i dont care for salads

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Moatillata posted:

Also please use a nautical analogy for the infinitum lynch the trashcan one is ruining my immersion

*ahem* excuse me, my apologies.

Can Somber please explain why keelhauling Inf is a good thing to do?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Somber, can you explain why voting Inf is a good vote?

Dick is this some kind of strange omen baby situation where you are in fact the devil-child and ruler of the scum

Because i feel like there is some kind of crazy plot twist in this tale

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

got some chores tonight posted:

actually lets not i dont care for salads

Have you tried Octopus Salad? I think you'd enjoy it, it's squishy.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Moatillata posted:

Dick is this some kind of strange omen baby situation where you are in fact the devil-child and ruler of the scum

Because i feel like there is some kind of crazy plot twist in this tale

I just... I feel bad for Inf. I just want someone to tell me why it's a good idea to vote.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dick Bastardly posted:

I just... I feel bad for Inf. I just want someone to tell me why it's a good idea to vote.

You discern alignment from behaviour. We know in advance that Inf is not going to play to town's win con. We should vote him out now, when it's low-pressure and low-consequence, rather than be stuck on day 5 and asking ourselves "is this town anti-town Inf or scum anti-town Inf"

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

its ok

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We're not going to be able to go by "do his ideas make sense" or "is his reasoning sound", because it never is. He'll just be shouting inane things into the void regardless of his alignment.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Im honestly shocked that infinitum hasnt claimed anything. Normally he does so with little to no provocation

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

You discern alignment from behaviour. We know in advance that Inf is not going to play to town's win con. We should vote him out now, when it's low-pressure and low-consequence, rather than be stuck on day 5 and asking ourselves "is this town anti-town Inf or scum anti-town Inf"

Ok, I can get behind this. If it looks like Infs number is up I'll vote/hammer.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Pinterest Mom posted:

We're not going to be able to go by "do his ideas make sense" or "is his reasoning sound", because it never is. He'll just be shouting inane things into the void regardless of his alignment.

It's true, he's a mafia genius.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

dick scum prob

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

pmom's explanation makes perfect sense for me. I wasn't really thinking about how Inf's likely future posting factors into it, I was more concerned with the push itself. Do you think I'm too easily persuaded?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Dick Bastardly posted:

pmom's explanation makes perfect sense for me. I wasn't really thinking about how Inf's likely future posting factors into it, I was more concerned with the push itself. Do you think I'm too easily persuaded?

Ya

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
There's a reason I didn't just throw down a vote. We have plenty of time to discus which is what I think we should do. All I said was I'd vote and/or hammer if it looked like that's the way D1 is going. I think Pmom's explanation was good.

chores, moat

What are your opinions of Pmom's reasoning?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

I think PMom is jealous of Inf's incredible skill level.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

im not playing your game im your father slash kidnapper i dont answer your questions

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

got some chores tonight posted:

im not playing your game im your father slash kidnapper i dont answer your questions

but, but, but DAAAAAAAAD! :colbert:

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Moatillata posted:

The only reaction around this whole infinitum thing that i am not a fan of is

you dont find 100's stated reasoning worthy of comment?

EccoRaven posted:

the secret is that everyone has garbage posts, ecco

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Flying Leatherman posted:

you dont find 100's stated reasoning worthy of comment?

Not particularly taking it at face value atm.

I just didnt like how ecco excused herself for day

Also DB pmom seems sincere to me

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Flying Leatherman posted:

Not me.

I am trash man

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Moatillata posted:

I just didnt like how ecco excused herself for day

Also DB pmom seems sincere to me

How do you feel about chores?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Moatillata posted:

I realize that we are different people with different approaches to the game, but 100's posts actually struck me as non-humorous justifications for his vote, not stuff to be dismissed.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is there ninja:(I need to edit my posts before posting) a way scumclaim could be a viable tactic? It seems like such an extraordinary thing to do.

You know who's reading the game but not saying much? zzyzx. What're your thoughts on everything but fake dayactions?

I think Infi reads town in this series of 6-7 posts; I get a pretty genuine, sarcastic, "you're all really bad at this" vibe off of those, which is what I'd expect from a townie in that spot and seems more or less accurate. Seriously voting someone because you didn't like them in another game is dumb.

I'd focus more on the people that start off with immediate joke votes, and then just try to ride them until inertia turns them into serious votes: chores and PMom and Ecco.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

I think Infi reads town in this series of 6-7 posts; I get a pretty genuine, sarcastic, "you're all really bad at this" vibe off of those, which is what I'd expect from a townie in that spot and seems more or less accurate. Seriously voting someone because you didn't like them in another game is dumb.

I'd focus more on the people that start off with immediate joke votes, and then just try to ride them until inertia turns them into serious votes: chores and PMom and Ecco.

Contrast with someone like Somber, who starts off with the dumb jokevote but then transitions into, "I mean, yeah, it's dumb, but at least it results in posting you can make opinions out of," which is reasonable enough. Ecco and chores are just, "I'm out."

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

zzyzx posted:

Contrast with someone like Somber, who starts off with the dumb jokevote but then transitions into, "I mean, yeah, it's dumb, but at least it results in posting you can make opinions out of," which is reasonable enough. Ecco and chores are just, "I'm out."

Since Somber wanted content by asking people why they weren't on board for a turbo, I'd like to hear his opinion as to whose response he thought was scummiest.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zzyzx posted:

How is this a joke vote and not a serious vote

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah pod didn't give me a vig but this is a 100% serious vote
##vote infinitum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

zzyzx you're still around?! I told everybody that you died. I told everybody that you died mugging an old lady.

• Locked thread