Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I want to be the cat. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

Meow Bark.

(I am secretly a cat dressed as a dog. That said, this post is a bit too on the nose for me, particularly since a 7 vote turbo is unlikely to be solely scum. This seems like a set up post.)

hisses, arches back

There's only one cat in this game.
##vote CCKeane

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I want to try to play these games more loosely than I used to. Just have fun and not over-worry or stress about the game or the results.

Besides I'm very partial to my friends, and as long as they're having a good time, so am I.

##vote 100 tbh this is the worst vote so far on this thing

I'm trying to decide whether Ecco pushing the turbo is purely out of game events motivated or whether it's an alignment tell and am leaning towards out of game events

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

EccoRaven posted:

this is a bad vote. 100yrs is doing something because I told him to do so; if you think he's scum for it, vote for me, since I am the one compelling him.

i disagree, I explained why I'm confused about your motivations but 100yrs is, in his post and subsequent justification, explaining that he made the vote specifically to sheep you and that seems scummy to me.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why are you focusing on Ecco, a lot of people are pushing this dunk

i think there's a differentiation between "pushing" and "voting on", and i don't think there's anyone actively pushing as hard as she is especially now we're past "hilarious turbo" and into meta-vote land

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

this was always a vote about infinitum being a terrible player and not a "hilarious turbo"

maybe for you but half the votes on him are either mindless +1's or have no justification, so I don't think you can characterize the entire train like that

unless everyone in this game has such strong meta feelings about his playstyle that they would immediately vote him which I doubt

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

*Purrs*

(Haha yes I am a dog and not a cat haha yes.)

Ha ha look at this dog trying to be as good as me, the superior animal.

Slamburger posted:

Since D1 turbos are a Bad Idea, let me change the subject and elicit some content:

Since flavor is important in this game, do people have any preconceived alignment opinions about any of the characters?

I'll put it out there that I don't trust the people that weren't part of the original departure roster. This is primarily CCK, Fisk, and Moat, and to a lesser extent the shipwrecked people.

I don't think that Pod would have baked alignment into the flavor, but that's just me. I think that the scum are probably spread out over the game, with at least one in our original crew.

If I'm to be suspicious of anyone as far as flavor goes, though, the captain stopped the cook from serving fish every night. As the ship's cat, this is beyond the pale and cannot be countenanced.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

if you're one of the eleven people not voting infinitum, can you explain why? i'm not saying that it's unequivocally the right choice, i'd just like to hear the explanation.

I explained my reasoning earlier, feel free to get at me if you have further questions after reviewing what I've already said

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Moatillata posted:

The only reaction around this whole infinitum thing that i am not a fan of is

you dont find 100's stated reasoning worthy of comment?

EccoRaven posted:

I might as well have, I really don't want to have to figure mafia out while reading someone's garbage posts.

the secret is that everyone has garbage posts, ecco

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Moatillata posted:

Not particularly taking it at face value atm.

I realize that we are different people with different approaches to the game, but 100's posts actually struck me as non-humorous justifications for his vote, not stuff to be dismissed.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
this dog is trying to usurp my spot on this ship and I can't believe none of you are paying attention to it

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

zzyzx posted:

It's two minutes after the game starts and nothing's happened. Infi hadn't posted anything yet.

Then you just kinda repeat it a few times and point out that Infi called you scum in a game once. (Sounds awful.)

hot take: this opinion on pmom's motivation is wrong but not scummy

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Nothing that 100Yrs has said since I last looked at this thread has made me feel any less confident in my vote.

purrs, finds a nice spot in the sun to nap

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

inf just claim. everything you're saying right now feels like spin.

So this has now progressed from an uncomfortable turbo into trying to force a claim?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I still really dislike 100yrs justifications for his vote. In addition,

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I figured it was based on previous misconceptions, which while I agree isn't very sporting, I admit that I'm no way beyond doing the same thing. I definitely have prejudices against some players, though that's only after having played with them several times. Also, I can be much more lenient on someone if I feel I wasn't once before (if you die here, you can be certain I'd give you a free pass elsewhere for example). Some people can come in with clean slates, I know I can't. So I don't hold that against them, it'd just be hypocritical.

I do think they care very much who it is they hang, with you being the core of the focus. I don't think Ecco or Pmom would go after just anyone, unless by who you mean Town vs Scum. In that case it gets a lot tougher to call, and in fact your death would go far in undermining their own standing, were you town. It would be harder to trust them after such a flip.

this is an especially bad post. Talking about how it'd be harder to trust Ecco or Pmom if Inf flips town? I don't understand this because Pmom said straight out that his was a policy vote, and I am fairly sure Ecco's vote is similar. I don't understand how policy votes would affect your perception of a player's ability to judge alignment when the votes have nothing to do with alignment.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is that how I should start talking to be better understood?
:iceburn:

Ecco and 100 colluding in a scumdoc to get 100 to play in a way easily perceived as scummy seems unlikely to me, FWIW.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
The flavor that we've seen so far - Hawke's flip, plus what I'm assuming is TNL playing to his flavor - makes me a lot more likely to buy "white mage" than generic "doctor", in any case.

Inf, at this point you should probably flavor claim.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

..how would you know how my role works at all? Unless you :siren: rolecopped :siren: me.

##vote Slamburger

I mean, "conditionally activated superdoctor" is not the same as "doctor" was probably what he was trying to say, if I had to guess.

If I had to speculate right now, especially with only one kill last night, I doubt there's more than one doctor in the game. I think one of you or Pmom is probably lying.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

Found the post I was referring to. Telling us who you used your action on absolutely does provide information. You are just dancing around this so no one can counterclaim your counterclaim. Who did you try to doc?

How would a proposed target of a claimed-roleblocked ability cause someone to be able to counterclaim

Unless you're implying there might be a tracker that saw him go somewhere, in which case this still doesn't make sense because, uh, he claimed to have been roleblocked

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

I believe it prevents them from any action, but it is up to the disgression of the mod in the end.

I have literally never seen a game where a roleblocker still lets a player visit their target.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I've decided, after looking over the last few pages, that Glowku's fixation on Pmom's N1 target is bad, baffling, but not ultimately scummy. His frustration felt real when Pmom didn't reveal his target. What he thought he could do with that info was beyond me, but I'm willing to believe that he had some idea.

I'm not saying I agree with his reasoning, though, because I don't.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

It is for sure the combination of everything he said. Not to mention he has claimed he has a case on someone but won't share it out of laziness and might share it tomorrow if he survives. Ultimately anti-town, and dickish.

I don't think it's too far fetched that pmom is lying about role just to get infi murdered.

Do you think he's scum or just being antitown?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

At the beginning of the day I thought town. I'm not convinced of his claim anymore, he's unhelpful and distracting. He's soft claimed he can't doc the same person twice in a row but says his action failed. Why would it matter sharing it then? It's less about who it is now, and more about why he won't share it tbh.

Seems scummy but I'm not sure which way to take it

Do you really see any tangible benefit to claiming a target on a night that you were roleblocked? This goes back to what a few players, including myself, have already said. I don't see being cagey about this as a scum tell from Pmom; I see it as him basically posting the equivalent of a gigantic in-thread eyeroll.

Do you think scum would make themselves this visible this early in the game?

If you aren't sure which way to take it, why did you explicitly call him scum?

Preview edit:

Mayor Glowku posted:

Thinking it over I could totally see him as a lyncher with his target being infi
I'm not sure I buy it, but it makes more logical sense than him as scum in my mind. At the end of the day, though, I find the counterclaim scenario more plausible than a lyncher.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Slamburger posted:

FL: Has been posting and discussing the day, but hasn't really made any scum calls or put any pressure on. The only stance he's taken was "I think one of (Inf) or Pmom is probably lying." but didn't vote. He then kind of chipped around the edges of the Glowku/PMom thing.

To clarify my stance - and I had hoped it would be clear from the direction of my conversation with Glowku above - I still think that one of Inf or Pmom is lying and I think it's probably Inf. I will continue not to vote until later in the day.

I said at the outset of this morning's posts that I don't find Glowku scummy. Some of the posts in our back and forth still strike me as odd (it seemed like he had pretty concrete opinions on Pmom before I asked, but then he acts ambivalent in our conversation). I'm not sure what to make of that yet.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Slamburger posted:

Beyond your opinion on PMom/Inf and acknowledging that you won't vote until later, do you have any scum reads on other players? Do you still feel that 100 is scum, or have you changed your mind?

I don't find his posting nearly as worrisome today, and have moved on to other things. I took some time and went back and filtered w/r/t his Keane case, and he's making the valid point that Keane had been posting without a ton of serious, direct engagement in thread. I'd rate it as a legitimate case, albeit one that I'm not interested in pursuing today.

As far as other posters who I've got my eye on, I'm watching DB at the moment. TNL made the original case, but it's borne out by a quick glance through filter. Seemed like he was trying to kill momentum on pretty much anything that got started, bouncing back and forth between a bunch of potential votes, very few of them really viable. He hasn't contributed much to this point today, and looking back over his D1 posting he talks a lot during the day about how he finds Inf's defense compelling, and questions why people are voting for him - then votes for Inf himself well before deadline with the justification of "just make people stop posting". It seems like a strange progression from his prior posts, especially the ones where he's talking about only voting Inf to avoid a no-lynch.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Slam beat me to what I was going to say re: Inf's roleclaim.

With regards to the reticence of PMom re: night 1 target, though, I really, really don't believe this is the case. If he had been tracked anywhere after claiming roleblocked, I can't believe that there's any way that that wouldn't have been claimed by now. I've discussed at least parts of that elsewhere, but the long and the short of it is that it looks more to me like a reluctance to disclose information that has no bearing on the course of the game rather than anything else.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
glowku's been waffling back and forth on this scumcall way more than is reasonable

Meanwhile, w/r/t actual refutation of Inf's post - I already covered the "Pmom is reticent about claiming" thing in my previous post, his second point is meta, and his third point is not based in fact. Slam pointed out the timing - the post that Inf quotes in his case above came after Inf started talking about his role (activatable ability, "super doctor").

So when you strip all of this away, you're left with meta.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Chores, your vote is on someone you probably didn't mean for it to be on.

Mayor Glowku posted:

Outing a power role? How would you have this information as a DOCTOR? With no claims???
you don't appear to be reading pmom's posts

Pinterest Mom posted:

"scum didn't actually roleblock me, but now know that there's a player who is untargetable by night actions".
i.e., in this hypothetical, he didn't get roleblocked last night; therefore, his claim reveals that his target couldn't be targeted by night actions based on the failure message he received

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

I'm reading them, they just infuriate me to no end

I don't understand why, they're making sense to me. Like, this one?

Mayor Glowku posted:

So your argument is that you were lying about being roleblocked

The crux of the argument is not that Pmom was lying, it's that there are various things that can cause a failure message, roleblocks being the most common.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If someone had night action results that implicated PMom as having visited somebody, they'd have claimed by now. Since that hasn't happened, I don't understand why you're harping on this.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Inf why did you jump to white mage being a role claim and not a flavor claim

I ask because I was definitely reading it as flavor until you posted that wiki link

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Welp, never mind, guess it is a role claim after all

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
##vote glowku this much mischaracterization is arguably beyond the bounds of reason

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

Define my mischaracterization on someone who is clearly lying about multiple things? Go ahead lynch me idc.

1 vote on you is a little early for apathy, friend.

Further, you've been willfully misinterpreting posts for the last number of pages. I've tried to explain what seems obvious to me as far as what Pmom's been trying to say, Pmom's been trying to explain it but you apparently aren't listening to him, like, I don't know what else I can say.

I'll point to two cases.

First,

Mayor Glowku posted:

So uhhh. It was a fake claim then to try and kill infi?
This is not what was said. The chain is pretty straightforward here. He claimed white mage as flavor, then after Inf defined "white mage" with his wiki link, he noted that that matched his role as well. That's not a lie within the bounds of the game, that's not knowing that there was a specific name for his role.

I mean, I didn't know that until Inf linked the wiki article. I'd imagine a number of other people didn't, either.

Second,

Mayor Glowku posted:

Outing a power role? How would you have this information as a DOCTOR? With no claims???

Mayor Glowku posted:

So your argument is that you were lying about being roleblocked.
I refuse to rewrite posts I've already written, but a simple filter of my posts should clear up why this is a misinterpretation. The thing is, you've been twisting his posts so much to fit your narrative that it feels deliberate at this point rather than a genuine misunderstanding.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I take FL's vote on Glowku more like chastisement than an actual vote. He's been one-note but he's coming from an angle that I can get.

I mean, I would 100% not be opposed to getting rid of glowku today, but yeah I've made my further opinions pretty clear I think.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

How did 100yrs' vote get assigned to keane

It didn't; 100's last vote didn't register. I don't know why, I just checked the formatting and it looks fine.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
##vote inf

this is where I'd prefer to go considering the vote leaders

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Moatillata posted:

Also, thinking about that claim... has anyone gotten any notification or flavor that would suggest poisoning?

I don't think this would probably happen n1, isn't the target usually not notified? I don't play with poisoners much so don't know for sure.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Mayor Glowku posted:

Or close enough. At this point I really want Pmom to be scum, but I'd rather no lynch than lynch either of them

yes this sounds like a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

• Locked thread