Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Time get back into the water and then out of it again as The Other Shipwrecked Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

As long as you stick to the Mod's Request.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sounds to me to be a pretty jerky thing to do if not outright scummy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sounds like I'll be asleep for any confirmation. I won't be back home till about noon GMT +1 so feel free to start without my confirmation or anything. I'll jump right in when I'm home.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Confirming, that I'll be back later this afternoon.

To tell the truth, I don't think I've ever played a game with Infinitum. Is this S.O.P these days?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

confirming that i am vanilla town

I'll buy it.

got some chores tonight posted:

im not reading my role pm until day 2 ##vote infinitum

I believe that you're not going to do it either.

P. Mom why would you shoot Inf, and would you do so immediately or would you let things develop?

The only person I know who has beef with the kid is Ecco, unreasonable as it may be.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hello... friends?

Hello dear friend. May you become the dearest of them all.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Also sup with this turbo on infinitum? I don't like it. 3 or 4 votes okay it's funny but this is too many to be a good joke

Johan, I have 3 ideas in regards to this. A) We bury the man in the ocean. B) We investigate and suss out the murderous wretches amongst his accusers. C) We claim it a red herring and set off searching for a fresher fish.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're going to have to explain what you mean by set-up. I'll take you for a walk while you explain.

I imagine there's 2 or 3 scum in there but not more, that would be too many.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

These days there isn't all that much of a difference is there?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Turbo Keane scum

It is known

He's a good boy that's what he is.

CCKeane posted:

Bow wow.

(I said what I said. It's unlikely to be completely scum and I'd wager that town is at the least, a major driver on it. What's the issue?)

Though you said it seemed to be a setup which implies, if I understand the usage, a more purposeful intent to the vote-chain.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

100yrs I'm going to need you to do me a solid.

I'm gonna need you to vote for Infinitum.

If you're town, you'll be doing the town a huge favor. If you're scum, you'll be doing the town a huge favor.

It's really win-win. I know it's not in your nature to turbo-vote people, you go through things cautiously, but this just isn't the time or place for it.

Please do me this solid.

You know I hold you in high regard Ecco. I hope you just aren't taking advantage of our friendship:

##vote infinitum

Though I do think it'd be a good learning experience to find out why we should turbo infinitum D1.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Good to know you don't have any thoughts of your own 100yrs

I want to try to play these games more loosely than I used to. Just have fun and not over-worry or stress about the game or the results.

Besides I'm very partial to my friends, and as long as they're having a good time, so am I.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The way he describes isn't quite how you portray it Pmom. That reads more like someone who picks on someone until satisfied they're town instead of someone who tunnels in until one of them dies. Maybe it doesn't work out like that in practice, but that doesn't sound like a necessarily bad way to feel comfortable about someone's alignment.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Making up a scum read and tunnelling
vs
Interrogating someone hard to confirm they're town

But what happens if you've exhausted your questions or if their answers aren't changing because there's nothing more they can say?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's only been 12 hours! I feel like most people have been asleep for those 12 hours.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flying Leatherman posted:

##vote 100 tbh this is the worst vote so far on this thing

I'm trying to decide whether Ecco pushing the turbo is purely out of game events motivated or whether it's an alignment tell and am leaning towards out of game events

I feel it's the latter as well, Pmom's case corroborates that, though it's a sort of meta thing.

Infinitum posted:

As FL states 100yrs not having an actual opinion is bad tho when it's well past ha-ha-joke-turbo land

My opinion on turboing you? It's not in my nature to do such a thing, but I want to take myself less seriously when playing this game, I think I'll stress less and not burn out. It seems like a fun thing to do just throwing chance to the wind.

Infinitum posted:

Me personally? I just enjoy playing the game

Cause it's a game to be played for shits and giggles

This is how I'm going into this. You can bet your boots though that I'll give you a free pass in another game someday since I can't help but be motivated by past events.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think that Pod would have baked alignment into the flavor, but that's just me. I think that the scum are probably spread out over the game, with at least one in our original crew.

If I'm to be suspicious of anyone as far as flavor goes, though, the captain stopped the cook from serving fish every night. As the ship's cat, this is beyond the pale and cannot be countenanced.

I haven't played a Podima game before, I think (I'm not going to bother to check). But because he insisted on the fact that the flavor was important then I do in fact think that flavor can reveal alignment. That said I don't think it's as simple as crew vs. outsiders or anything as black and white as that, it's definitely scatter shot, but probably coherent to the story.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

please vote for infinitum everybody. that is all I have to say today, see you all tomorrow :toot:

Don't just go, you can also discuss other things and other people.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah that wouldn't make sense considering we all know each others characters

Yeah, I'm right? Or yeah, no I'm wrong?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is there ninja:(I need to edit my posts before posting) a way scumclaim could be a viable tactic? It seems like such an extraordinary thing to do.

You know who's reading the game but not saying much? zzyzx. What're your thoughts on everything but fake dayactions?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I realize that we are different people with different approaches to the game, but 100's posts actually struck me as non-humorous justifications for his vote, not stuff to be dismissed.

Because they are. I'm being legit sincere, that I'm doing it because Ecco asked and because I think it may be fun to take myself less seriously in these games and just leave things to chance. I'm glad I'm not being misunderstood.

zzyzx posted:

I think Infi reads town in this series of 6-7 posts; I get a pretty genuine, sarcastic, "you're all really bad at this" vibe off of those, which is what I'd expect from a townie in that spot and seems more or less accurate. Seriously voting someone because you didn't like them in another game is dumb.

He's been posting like that the whole game through, it doesn't go one way or the other for me.

CCKeane posted:

Bow meow

(I find the stalling on Inf pretty interesting. I'm wondering if scum were trying to push for momentum and found it stalling. Or if Infi is scum himself)

This is a simplistic equivocation. Of course it's one or the other.

Infinitum posted:

But for realsy Ecco and PMom please actually play the game instead of dragging in drama from past games you big babies

Everyone else I've got null tells on because this 'turbo' happened before I even made my first post ingame.
Leaning scum on 100yrs for blindly following whatever Ecco said

To be fair Ecco asked in a way that appealed to my sensibilities.

Gotta work but I'll be around lunchtime.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

So do you plan on just coasting through this game on the backs of other people? :nyoron:

Not in the slightest. I've been active and participant and I think pretty clear on my motivations and I plan to continue to do so. The fact that you think I've done nothing is clearly you not reading what I'm writing.

Ecco made a suggestion that resonated with me. I still had to act upon it and choose to go along or against. I've chosen to go along, and I'm willing to accept the consequences, which at this moment are you thinking I'm scum. And that's fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Your compelling reason is being the 8th vote out of 10, and attempting to turbo someone 2 days out from deadline because it resonated with you?

As it sounded like fun.

Slamburger posted:

This phrasing seems a little odd to me. Are you set on lynching Infin today, like Ecco is?

No. My vote isn't set in stone. There's a couple of people I've got doubts towards. Something about Keane has been putting me off, out of the people remaining neutral he feels the least natural about it. Otherwise MOAT though I can't put into words why.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

At first glance burger's struck me as nothing more than innocuous. I'll give it a second read because I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I know my vote isn't available for any other dunk.

I'd like to think you'd change it if you at first don't succeed D1.

zzyzx posted:

How did his vote then resonate with you?

Not the vote, but what Ecco said to me:

EccoRaven posted:

100yrs I'm going to need you to do me a solid.

I'm gonna need you to vote for Infinitum.

If you're town, you'll be doing the town a huge favor. If you're scum, you'll be doing the town a huge favor.

It's really win-win. I know it's not in your nature to turbo-vote people, you go through things cautiously, but this just isn't the time or place for it.

Please do me this solid.

Ecco appeals to our friendship, which I respect and hold dear, then showing me that this isn't just Ecco telling me to vote something, they actually acknowledge the very way I would resist to doing such a thing (in italics). Ecco knows me and takes that into account. There's thought and care behind the post. I'm acknowledging that by taking a chance with their suggestion.

Plus as I said it seemed(s) fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

100yrs I'm curious, did you know Ecco's reason for pushing a lynch for me is old drama she hasn't let go of and dragged across from the chat thread?

Like that is legit the reason why she asked you to vote me.

How does that factor into your friendship?
Does that seem like the mindset of someone who is playing a game, and thus comes in with a clean slate and judges people on their merits and play?
Or does that strike you as a non-town mindset that doesn't care who they lynch and is using old meta drama as a veil to hide their alignment.

I'm curious on your thoughts regarding this now that I've clarified Ecco's position :nyoron:

I figured it was based on previous misconceptions, which while I agree isn't very sporting, I admit that I'm no way beyond doing the same thing. I definitely have prejudices against some players, though that's only after having played with them several times. Also, I can be much more lenient on someone if I feel I wasn't once before (if you die here, you can be certain I'd give you a free pass elsewhere for example). Some people can come in with clean slates, I know I can't. So I don't hold that against them, it'd just be hypocritical.

I do think they care very much who it is they hang, with you being the core of the focus. I don't think Ecco or Pmom would go after just anyone, unless by who you mean Town vs Scum. In that case it gets a lot tougher to call, and in fact your death would go far in undermining their own standing, were you town. It would be harder to trust them after such a flip.

I don't think taking Ecco's advice was as bad as just voting because it seemed fun. That's just frivolous. But it has been fun, and it has made for a lot good discussion in-game so no regrets there.

Infinitum posted:

Like I'm here to play a game, and it's very hard to do that when I wake up to a turbo on me based on out of thread drama people have dragged in here and then had the gall to give me bullshit about my "anti-town" mindset, so it's getting pretty loving frustrating from my point of view

I get your frustration, but I wouldn't yet peg them as anti-town. I'd like them to use this chance to look at other leads even if their hearts are set on you, it's what you're doing. It's what everyone should do.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

yeah i'm still feeling the inf vote. if i had to switch, it'd be to 100. something about his posting feels deeply awkward. not to be lovely, he just seems to be posting Very Carefully.

I have missed this game. Here I'm being, in my opinion completely devil-may-care, which I only am when town, cause I know I've got all of town to save the day if and when I gently caress it up, whereas I am careful when scum since I have a much smaller amount of people who are specifically counting on me.

Awkward sure but I'm not posting carefully by my reckoning.

There are specifically 2 sentences in which I was very careful with my wording, everywhere else I'm just being loosey goosey.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

100yrs sounds super weird but rn I'm putting it down to a translation issue

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's hard for australians to understand american english, i agree

I just talk like this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I should add, if it's not obvious, that I don't plan out my posts, but rather just start typing, hitting all my thoughts, then posting it. It probably gives it all a sort-of rambly air with a lot of quantifiers instead of more direct definite statements. Also I often forget that people don't actually think like me which ends up with me taking for granted that people will understand the things I've left unsaid.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

He's made it pretty clear he doesn't read anything that may seem slightly long.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

100yrs going for that "Euro-Gwynplaine" angle

What's that?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can live with that. But wasn't that Venom's deal? What ever happened to Venom?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I still really dislike 100yrs justifications for his vote. In addition,

this is an especially bad post. Talking about how it'd be harder to trust Ecco or Pmom if Inf flips town? I don't understand this because Pmom said straight out that his was a policy vote, and I am fairly sure Ecco's vote is similar. I don't understand how policy votes would affect your perception of a player's ability to judge alignment when the votes have nothing to do with alignment.

Because it leaves a bad taste in the mouth regardless? I can take Ecco's advice on a lark and screw up once or twice before deciding not to do that again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

But you've double downed on the lark, and offered very little in the way of opinions on anyone else in a game where the D1 joke phase died off almost instantly.

Gimme yo top 3 scumspects 100yrs

I'm not doubling down and I'm willing to unvote. My top suspect is actually Keane due to the fluff of his posts. He brings up several times why the examining the turbo is interesting and never really does. He talks a bit about how using flavor to prove scum is a non-starter, but again doesn't take that far enough into an accusation or anything. Keane's definitely around and reading, and I don't think he's disinterested, but I do think he's trying to keep a low profile.

Moat is also on my radar.

As for a third I'd have to do a more thorough re-read but as always I'm wary of lurkers, and I find Mr. F's! posting erratic and strange.

For what it's worth I don't find you scummy and if I hadn't been asked to vote you in the first place I wouldn't have. At this point I'm just passively-aggressively waiting for one thing to unvote because I'm feeling petulant.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

this is incredibly weird.

I should precise that I meant 2 sentences of everything I've said in game. Not in that one post.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm now re-reading post histories, up to now I've just been reading the thread as is and commenting as I go along if it wasn't clear.

Anon's last two comments are weird. Particularly:

I can't tell if we're serious posting yet or not

Because I'm pretty sure it's abundantly clear that we are. It's not outright scummy though, but it's definitely someone who isn't following as closely as they should be.

Re-reading Chores, there's a lot of garbage posting in there which I'm in no way fond of. I don't care if they haven't read their PM, they can still make some effort. That wasn't why Mr. F! was calling for his execution but yeah. Hawke is similar but more coherent somehow? I'm not bothered by Hawke's posting in the way I am by Chores.

So to better answer my Top 3: Keane, Chores, and Moat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Slamburger posted:

It strikes a weird balance of over-explainy, but at the same time a "its D1 who cares" vibe.

This guy gets it.

Actually that's an interesting take on Somber, and not how I read him. In fact I thought his point was pretty interesting, about the scum-team stalling. Now I don't know what you think you mean by "Fake Fake Fake" but it's made me think that it's strange that Somber would go after Infinitum rather than those who he believes are stalling, supposedly also Scum.

I'd like to know who he thinks those are myself.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I don't get the stuff on Burger. Chores though I can understand, but I can only see it in the first degree of bad poo poo-posting, any other subtleties to his play escape me.

Somber reads way differently to me via post history than in thread. They come off worse in the latter definitely, but that final bit just felt conversational to me as in a "heat of the moment" sort of thing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

this is a manufactured read

I finally had time to look into people more closely outside of any initial feelings reached by reading the thread as it's appeared.

mags is probably the second worst mafia player in this game; i dont think ive ever seen him be right about a single vote hes ever made

There's a handful of posts that express any sort of opinion, this one is the most genuine by my reckoning.

I decided to take this one seriously but it's hard to say.

Your vote on slam I don't take seriously, I consider it a jokevote regarding the flavor.

To your benefit it's a lot more painful to just sit down and read your post-history than within the context of thread, which is why I hadn't noticed it until now. You seem to really just poo poo-post and avoid the game. In contrast Hawke, who I'm also considering a poo poo-poster, is engaging on some level and having back and forth's on thread related issues making it seem more genuine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dick Bastardly posted:

100, is the chance that you may be doing scum's bidding by mislynching Inf an acceptable risk to do a favor for a friend?

What is your take on Ecco's alignment so far ?

Do you think Ecco's beef with Inf is reasonable?

No it's not worth that risk, but there's no real guarantee that we are/aren't mis-executing infinititum and today is D1 which is often a crapshoot, but worst case scenario you get a lot of information out of this vote, so that mitigates that quite a bit I'd say.

I don't like Ecco's inactivity but that's generally excusable. I think they're fine. I'm not convinced they're town, but when I find someone to be neutral you can say I lean town cause I'm just a natural optimist.

I do not think Ecco's beef with Infinitum is reasonable, but that's their business.

EccoRaven posted:

I am sorry you have been mislead as to why I am voting for infinitum. It is not because I have a specific "beef" with him, I don't know who would have ever characterized it that way.

I am voting for him because he's a lovely player and he needs to leave.

I did actually think that figured into it. But more the better if it doesn't.

EccoRaven posted:

100yrs is town, his posting sounds weird because he's been in France for so long, it otherwise doesn't sound like anything unusual for how he normally types.

Ok seriously though, is my English really getting that bad? Because that scares me and I don't want that to be the case. I've always had a somewhat stilted way of speaking/writing because I read a lot (of old books) and I have the tendency to use somewhat dated language, but if I'm just starting to speak incomprehensibly and using French-isms in my speech then it worries me in a big way.

I don't want my English to become a gross parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scratch that. It terrifies me.

• Locked thread