Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«217 »
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone can write ultra-violence. Not every show can write "a man is so lame that he doesn't realize he is trapped in a simulation that is running at 5% power and glitching out all around him."

But yeah the fight sequences in Pickle Rick are visually interesting and well constructed and save it from being bad.

Yeah, one of my least-favorite episodes is the Purge planet for that reason, among others. I didn't mind that Pickle Rick was so action-focused because it was done with a lot of thought and humor. Even the Family Guy chicken gag was pretty good the first time around, and I don't remember complaining that there was a 5 minute Die Hard fistfight in the middle of my comedy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, one of my least-favorite episodes is the Purge planet for that reason, among others. I didn't mind that Pickle Rick was so action-focused because it was done with a lot of thought and humor. Even the Family Guy chicken gag was pretty good the first time around, and I don't remember complaining that there was a 5 minute Die Hard fistfight in the middle of my comedy show.

Purge planet got one of the biggest laughs out of the whole series for me.

“DO YOU WANT TO CUT BACK TO THREE WEEKS AGO!? WHEN YOU WERE STILL ALIVE!?” was goddamn perfect.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, one of my least-favorite episodes is the Purge planet for that reason, among others.

Look at this chump who doesn’t appreciate a good phone call with Taddy Mason.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Purge planet got one of the biggest laughs out of the whole series for me.

“DO YOU WANT TO CUT BACK TO THREE WEEKS AGO!? WHEN YOU WERE STILL ALIVE!?” was goddamn perfect.

I really liked the episode. I mean, when they figure out what's going on on the planet that night, instead of beating around the bush and coming up with some other name for it and just leaving us to know that they're spoofing The Purge, he immediately calls it a purge, and ties it to the film: "It's like The Purge, Morty! That movie, The Purge?" Then he says "purge" about a thousand more times. Just in case, you know, you missed the reference. I found that hilarious.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

No, it definitely had some good bits. But compared to Pickle Rick, it's a lot more generic and gratuitous with its violence. Killing people with lasers in a generic-looking robot suit isn't as fun to watch as a cobbled-together monstrosity built from rat bones and sewer trash screwing a Phillips-head into a giant rat's skull and then swapping to an exacto blade to cut another one in half.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

And the AA battery-powered laser gun. As gratuitous action sequences go, Pickle Rick has some particularly creative and ridiculous ones. Plus, Danny Trejo parodying himself. I think it might actually have been one of the first episodes of the show I've seen in full.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

I really liked the episode. I mean, when they figure out what's going on on the planet that night, instead of beating around the bush and coming up with some other name for it and just leaving us to know that they're spoofing The Purge, he immediately calls it a purge, and ties it to the film: "It's like The Purge, Morty! That movie, The Purge?" Then he says "purge" about a thousand more times. Just in case, you know, you missed the reference. I found that hilarious.

I’m a sucker for when rick makes references to ridiculous movies like the purge or saw. He mentions the purge a few times in the first two seasons, doesn’t he?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die

Grimey Drawer

The pickle episode's problem was the weird eastern european embassy stuff. They're terrorists and have folklore about a pickle man? Dumb. Woulda been better if it was him overcoming nature the whole time

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I’m a sucker for when rick makes references to ridiculous movies like the purge or saw. He mentions the purge a few times in the first two seasons, doesn’t he?

My favorite in that regard was Lawnmower Dog (aka Scary Terry):

quote:

It's like Inception, Morty, so if it's confusing and stupid, then so is everyone's favorite movie.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014

I've never liked lasers. Not enough kick. I've never liked missiles. Too impersonal. Give me the rumble and the thunder. Give me the guns, guns, guns.

PostNouveau posted:

The pickle episode's problem was the weird eastern european embassy stuff. They're terrorists and have folklore about a pickle man? Dumb. Woulda been better if it was him overcoming nature the whole time

lol automatically assuming 'threatening' means 'terrorist'. Also the computer guy freaking the gently caress out and screaming "It's because I threw half away my sandwich!" is one of the best lines in the episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

lol automatically assuming 'threatening' means 'terrorist'. Also the computer guy freaking the gently caress out and screaming "It's because I threw half away my sandwich!" is one of the best lines in the episode.

it is a good line because rick does some battlefield medicine with that guy's half a sandwich so it IS that dude's fault

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

"TELL ME HOW TO GET PIG SEMEN OUT OF SUEDE" Club soda, fucktard.

PostNouveau posted:

it is a good line because rick does some battlefield medicine with that guy's half a sandwich so it IS that dude's fault

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die

Grimey Drawer

haha, didn't realize that was a revelation, yeah the pickle that rick staples to himself to fix the hole he got shot in himself is from a half a sandwich he dug out of the garbage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

PostNouveau posted:

haha, didn't realize that was a revelation, yeah the pickle that rick staples to himself to fix the hole he got shot in himself is from a half a sandwich he dug out of the garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012
My incredible shitposting will not transform the xbone into a good console

Lipstick Apathy

This show can be pretty clever, if you're paying attention and have a an open heart.

Or, conversely, gently caress the pickle man show.

«217 »