Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«291 »
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Yes, I too work in extreme black and white.

My point is is that y'all are circle-jerking about motivations of cartoon characters invented by two literal crazy people and written to appeal to stoners. For gently caress's sake, if you want to obtain meaning from sci-fi, go watch Star Trek or Black Mirror or something. But plumbing the depths Rick and Morty will leave you dragging the bottom of the metaphorical creek.

lets not pretend black mirror is more highbrow or thought provoking than rick & morty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

i watched “tales from the loop” recently and it was supposed to be a highbrow thought provoking scifi anthology, and one of the episodes was about a girl who invents a machine that stops time. she uses it to cheat on her boyfriend and the story ends with nothing at all happening with the time stop machine. nobody gets stuck in the stopped time, nothing gets changed by its use. it has no purpose in the plot at all. so, if u ask me, rick & morty is genuinely good scifi because i can trust them to do creative things with boilerplate scifi concepts. if rick and morty had the time stopping device it would probably have an i am legend parody with jerry stuck in stopped time slowly losing his mind, and rick might use a second time stop device while already in the stopped time with an explicit clockstoppers callout. my point is that rick & morty might be derivative at times but it is far from bottom-barrel scifi

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

by the way do NOT watch tales from the loop

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

IN THE GRIM BARKNESS
OF THE FUTURE
THERE ARE ONLY DOGS

Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

Y'all are a big pile of bummers in this thread.

This is a loving science fiction cartoon for Christ's sake, just enjoy it or stop watching! Also what kind of mental defectives try to extract meaning and lessons from a 22 minute cartoon? Next you're gonna start deconstructing Tom and Jerry as a metaphor for marriage or some other garbage thing.

I find the implication that I can't ask questions and still enjoy things extremely condescending

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really liked this one. Dense, funny, and it was refreshing to see Rick come up against an alien entity that he couldn't trivially clown on. The Summer and Morty sub-plot was absolutely my favourite, "Jesus, Summer, you've been huffing brake fluid" is a fantastic joke.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

i hate how the pseudo-speculation about rick being a devout catholic made me hyper-aware of rick's comments about "the real god" in this episode

Also, yeah, the Morty and Summer subplot was fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

TURDS BOD

Rick and Beth’s perfect utilitarian society being an amalgam of different historic Sci-Fi hellscapes like The Matrix was extremely funny to me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Rick and Beth’s perfect utilitarian society being an amalgam of different historic Sci-Fi hellscapes like The Matrix was extremely funny to me.

Low-key funniest part: along with the various classic sci-fi things being homaged, it was also paying "tribute" to Mars Needs Moms, which has an identical citizen sorting system except the men are the ones fired out into the backwoods garbage dump.

...which come to think of it, makes it the second time Rick & Morty has riffed on Mars Needs Moms? Huh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

Quit slapping me! You old wench!!!

mycomancy posted:

Yes, I too work in extreme black and white.

My point is is that y'all are circle-jerking about motivations of cartoon characters invented by two literal crazy people and written to appeal to stoners. For gently caress's sake, if you want to obtain meaning from sci-fi, go watch Star Trek or Black Mirror or something. But plumbing the depths Rick and Morty will leave you dragging the bottom of the metaphorical creek.

Let people get their jush however they want. If you don't like the discussion about this particular TV show in a TV subforum, leave the thread?

I have no problems with people who don't enjoy a show joining the debate, or who don't see what other people see in a particular show, but your last few posts have been condescending as gently caress and unfortunately for you-- and most importantly!-- they're not funny. But I'm lookin' good and feelin' fine today so I'm just going to give you a warning. Quit while you're ahead.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

i watched “tales from the loop” recently and it was supposed to be a highbrow thought provoking scifi anthology, and one of the episodes was about a girl who invents a machine that stops time. she uses it to cheat on her boyfriend and the story ends with nothing at all happening with the time stop machine. nobody gets stuck in the stopped time, nothing gets changed by its use. it has no purpose in the plot at all. so, if u ask me, rick & morty is genuinely good scifi because i can trust them to do creative things with boilerplate scifi concepts. if rick and morty had the time stopping device it would probably have an i am legend parody with jerry stuck in stopped time slowly losing his mind, and rick might use a second time stop device while already in the stopped time with an explicit clockstoppers callout. my point is that rick & morty might be derivative at times but it is far from bottom-barrel scifi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwTK0qdpPA

iron buns fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 25, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

Why god?

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Low-key funniest part: along with the various classic sci-fi things being homaged, it was also paying "tribute" to Mars Needs Moms, which has an identical citizen sorting system except the men are the ones fired out into the backwoods garbage dump.

...which come to think of it, makes it the second time Rick & Morty has riffed on Mars Needs Moms? Huh.

Never heard of Mars Needs Moms. I assume they just accidentally ran into its concept when they grafted gender stuff onto their Zardoz parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuK_KJTRyg

BrotherJayne
Nov 27, 2019

Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscripti Catapultas Habebunt

Edit:

Weird as poo poo. I never expected sexy planets... but that's definitely the sort of thing that would titillate Rick.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

The giant tube sorting complex over a constant source of new life washing in is similar to the later stages of our own Zack Parson's novel Liminal States - worth checking out if you want to see that particular aspect of this episode played out elsewhere, and also it's a generally great book.

Dragonstoned posted:

I read somewhere that he was supposed to be working on a set of episodes and then decided to make it in to the doomstar requiem instead but didn't bother to tell AS about any of it and then he just gave them that instead the episodes they were expecting. This hosed up AS's planned schedule immensely because now instead of a few weeks worth of content they have a single special (that can't be split up into episodes like the Futurama movies) and they were extremely pissed.
I think that might have got telephoned from the version I heard. To my understanding (also read from some random thread I can't source), they agreed to let him produce a longform rock opera but when the rough material started coming back the suits went "Whoah, whoah, whoah, you're not leaving breaks for commercials". Brendon came back that that's not what they agreed to and refused to rework it. So now Adult Swim has this program that culminates a four-season show they can't rerun unless they find somebody willing to underwrite the missing income.

Also, for something I can source, in the Venture Brothers oral history book the creators put out a couple years ago they talk about how Mike Lazzo initially shot down the pitch for their hour-long special, All This and Gargantua-2, because he wanted something standalone that he could promote to a broad audience (they went on to produce it as the premiere for the next season and Adult Swim changed their mind, but kept jerking them around about where in their contract they were paying for it to the point they wrote their penultimate scripts fairly certain they had two more to go - and had to finish that season at the beginning of the next). I've never heard Doomstar Requiem had the same problem, but it was around the same time and similarly inaccessible to new viewers so that had to play a part.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 25, 2020

«291 »