Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That scene had some pretty hefty "I'm not touching you" energy. It definitely did not land for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Catching up on Solar Opposites and people weren't kidding about the wall. Whew!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The gag with Rick's appeal to god is literally spelled out on Story Lord's console.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I kinda liked the bit in the penultimate episode where Rick goes "Siri, scan for his power source". Like, he'll literally build entire population management complexes from the ground up and cobble together scifi gadgets, but he can't be arsed making a voice-control system so he just uses Amazon's proprietary one.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I always felt the scene with Jesus to save them from Story Lord was just a riff on the whole idea of a Deus ex machina, which given their predicament and the subsequent solution, was exactly that.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Jesus the Nazarene is The Word Made Flesh and His Passion is The Greatest Story Ever Told. He came not to judge the world but to save it, through his blood. It was all tightly plotted in addition to the metacommentary

Android Blues posted:

I think the joke was also "multiple beloved long-running shows had a twist ending where they seeded a bunch of mysterious plot threads, built it up like they were all going to interact climactically, and then revealed it was an allegory for Christianity all along". Storylord's reaction is that of a fan who sees that their favourite show has a stupid, nonsensical, cliched "it was all a religious allegory" twist ending and gets huffy about it.
Sure, but if Lost is one of those you're counting lol at being surprised the show about religion had an ending with the same amount of religion in it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Having a perfect place to go to take a poo poo without anybody bothering you was a pretty funny gag after the "Where's the can, I gotta take a poo poo" thing in an earlier season.

Especially with how out of hand finding out who used his toilet got.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Chaotic Flame posted:

Catching up on Solar Opposites and people weren't kidding about the wall. Whew!

A big reason I want Solar Opposites to get a second season is because I want more wall stuff.

Another big reason is because I want more Pupa shenanigans, no one else seems to love that terrifying little guy as much as I do but man do I love watching him do weird stuff. The subplot in the last episode with him and the old lady was actually my favorite part of the whole series.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am just completely exhausted by “mischievous baby” tropes but I do think it’s very cute.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I am just completely exhausted by “mischievous baby” tropes but I do think it’s very cute.

The bit where it barters an old woman's memories of her mother for a Harry Potter whistle was pretty good.

Also Solar Opposites is getting a second season and the writers discussed in an interview that they have a lot more plans for The Wall.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The thing I loved about the Pupa and the old lady was the callback all the way back to the first episode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Solar opposites is pretty much precisely "rick and morty but it's just justin roiland" and that ended up being a lot better than I went into it expecting

I thoroughly enjoy aliens not understanding or misunderstanding basic concepts we take for granted, and it wasn't leaning on gross out stuff nearly as hard as I was expecting it to

Really liked it, looking forward to next season

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Can someone tell me what's up with Harmon and Eric Clapton's "It's In the Way that You Use It." It's used in Vat of Acid Episode, pretty sure it was used in Community once or twice and he keeps talking about it in some of the Podcasts he does.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ninjewtsu posted:

Solar opposites is pretty much precisely "rick and morty but it's just justin roiland" and that ended up being a lot better than I went into it expecting

I thoroughly enjoy aliens not understanding or misunderstanding basic concepts we take for granted, and it wasn't leaning on gross out stuff nearly as hard as I was expecting it to

Really liked it, looking forward to next season

That’s how you know it’s NOT just Justin Roiland. He must come with a note pinned to his jacket with instructions on how to channel his creativity into brilliance instead of him just defaulting to poo poo-eating and pedofilia

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

If Rick is the penultimate scientist, then who is the actual last scientist?

Jesus. Duh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

Jesus. Duh.

Now I'm picturing Rick meeting Jesus and he's basically Rick

'That explains so loving much.'

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rick but with cum gutters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
God is a Rick and Jesus is his Morty

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You hosed with romans, Jesus! We got a good five minutes before they're backing up on our rear end, Jesus! You have to get crucified and ascend to heaven, Jesus! You know I said we could only do that a couple of times! We're hosed over here because of these drat romans, Jesus!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Can someone tell me what's up with Harmon and Eric Clapton's "It's In the Way that You Use It." It's used in Vat of Acid Episode, pretty sure it was used in Community once or twice and he keeps talking about it in some of the Podcasts he does.

Dude probably just has a hard on for The Color of Mpney and see the song as the quintessential 80s montage music.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mantis42 posted:

Now that the season is over I would probably rank it below Season 3. Here's about where I'd place the episodes, from best to worst:

Vat of Acid
Snake Jazz
Finale
Death Crystals
Story Train
Toilet Episode/Glootie
Facehuggers
Heist Episode
Gaia Episode
Slut Dragons

I guess the second half of the season was an improvement since nothing was as bad as the dragon episode and nothing in the first half was as strong as the acid episode, but for the most part very little of it was funny. There wasn't a single chuckle in either the Gaia or Facehugger episodes for me.

For the most part I agree with the list but if I had to criticize it; it would be that it's not numbered. I think that would really make your choices pop a bit more and help to codify the ranking of which episodes of Rick and Morty season 4 you enjoyed and the order in which you enjoyed them. I think it also puts an unfair burden of counting onto the list reader. Story Train is a solid choice for number 5 but I was a little annoyed that I had to count down from the top to learn that.

It's definitely a top 4 list for me for this year so far. The year is still young though and I won't lock myself into anything until this years Stranger Things comes out and we can see in how goons rank the episodes from that. (Spoiler alert: watch out for dashes - they're coming back in a big way in 2020).

Overall though - good job! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for your lists in the future.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The bit where it barters an old woman's memories of her mother for a Harry Potter whistle was pretty good.

Also Solar Opposites is getting a second season and the writers discussed in an interview that they have a lot more plans for The Wall.

The show would be better if it focused mostly on the wall, and avoided the awful main characters

also get rid of the terrible "theme song" intro scene. It was so jarring when the show would cut from the intro scene to that non-musical intro every episode (except in the one wall episode where there was no terrible intro)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A lot of people really like the idea of Oops! All Wallberries, but I think making it a side story lets them cut a ton of fat from it. We're getting just the good stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Wall is too derivative to work on its own. It feels powerful and unique because it’s so masterfully juxtaposed to foil the goofy antics of the aliens. 4 hours of The Wall, a new animated Sci-Fi prestige drama from Hulu, would run out of steam immediately.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The Wall is too derivative to work on its own. It feels powerful and unique because it’s so masterfully juxtaposed to foil the goofy antics of the aliens. 4 hours of The Wall, a new animated Sci-Fi prestige drama from Hulu, would run out of steam immediately.

Yeah comedy sci-fi high concept woo woo and an incidental dystopian nightmare are a good combo, I would never eat a jar of just the cheesish filling.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Also the alien stuff is funny and I enjoy the kid's adventures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m only a few eps into Solar Opposites and find the wall sections very depressing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I’m only a few eps into Solar Opposites and find the wall sections very depressing.

Just wait

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I'm only a few eps into Solar Opposites and find the wall sections very depressing.

Yeah, I think some of the conclusions it comes to are pretty lame tbh.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

withak posted:

Just wait

Man, why'd you have to remind me. RIP Molly :(

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

As Nero Danced posted:

The emotional manipulation of that scene and the mouse milker hit me harder than the suicide attempt in R&M

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

As Nero Danced posted:

Just lol if you don't think she somehow survived and isn't going to be back.. for revenge

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just realised Yumyulak is wearing Bossk's costume, and describes himself as a bounty hunter. :doh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just lol if you don't think she somehow survived and isn't going to be back.. for revenge

lol in the next episode the girl alien gripes at the boy alien for not cleaning out the wall enough while she's fishing a dead rat out of the garbage output

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

The emotional manipulation of that scene and the mouse milker hit me harder than the suicide attempt in R&M

I'm embarrassed to admit I cried a little at that part, that mouse was just drawn so cute :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I got to the wall episode (RIP Molly :smith:) and I suddenly had the notion that this was the show they originally wanted to make, with the aliens as a framing device as to why/how people were there in the first place, and over time the aliens got expanded on, and the wall stuff shrunk in comparison.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I haven’t seen this new show but it sounds like they have figured out the formula for recreating The Sad Dog Effect from Futurama...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I haven’t seen this new show but it sounds like they have figured out the formula for recreating The Sad Dog Effect from Futurama...

It's just that one episode, which is a pastiche of action movie cliches.

There's no pathos in any other part of the show.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is there not another thread for this other Justin Roiland show?

I don't plan to watch it but there's been a good deal of untagged spoilers about it for awhile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah, some of us don’t have Hulu :canada: