Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Connie Tinuityerror was loving inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
maxium overdrive had no writters, took place in florida, and king was on cocain.

I just realized the heist episode did the meta stuff better with the netflix poo poo.

Also tower man was meta

member when morty would just gently caress alien sex robots

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

reddit and tv tropes

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Noted hack William Shakespeare, once again putting on a play within a play and having characters break the fourth wall and talk directly to the audience about how all life is just a play.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The episode pretty much makes all these same points itself, which is of course par for the course, the episode crawls into its own rear end and narrates the whole process while also responding to potential criticism, I mean, like it or hate it I think it was pretty well constructed and achieved what it set to do, obviously it's not the first rick & morty episode that goes meta and maybe it's not even the best one but text of the episode kind of acknowledges all this, and pokes fun at the notion that there is a 'correct' amount of meta, which is perhaps the really novel aspect of this episode as it is kind of the first episode that isn't only meta but is also meta about being meta.

So yeah I mean, it crawls up its own rear end in a very Harmon-esque fashion but for me this is kind of what I signed up for with this show, really good episode, imo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
didn't really care for it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So yeah I mean, it crawls up its own rear end in a very Harmon-esque fashion but for me this is kind of what I signed up for with this show, really good episode, imo.

I enjoyed it a lot but a bad habit of Harmon is his need to explain these concepts in a very obtuse way because he really does think his audience is very dumb (and also to talk about how all writers are pathetic and depressed and suicidal when he mostly just means himself)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
But the writer was pretty much an overt self-insert, I think it was explicitly Harmon talking about himself and his own self-berating process, not a generalization of all writers. At least that's kind of how I took it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This was glorious.

Take wild swings. Sometimes they land.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But the writer was pretty much an overt self-insert, I think it was explicitly Harmon talking about himself and his own self-berating process, not a generalization of all writers. At least that's kind of how I took it.

I don't know, he pretty clearly worded it like it was a curse to be creative. His point wasn't even that the guy should give up because it would make him miserable, it's that creative people in general are miserable and kill themselves, and him being untalented is the actual "gift" because he won't be/do that.

Although I have no doubt that was still Harmon mostly talking to/about himself because I do think he is a bit narcissistic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought this was a bit hacky and self pitying tbh, and some of the subplots were just kludged together; the narrative can't resolve BRhett Cann so instead it just drops him and moves on, the evil toy factory stuff was a very perfunctory bit of satire, etc.

Some of the jokes were a bit crap too (the orange joke?), and I'm not that impressed by seemingly big swings like Joseph Campbell literally turning up to haunt the narrative either tbh.

It's a far weaker version of Storytrain with less to say other than some dumb Sisyphean thing about the great burden of art.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Brett -> Rhett Cohn was a great joke and worth having that character show up then leave imo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I thought it was fine, there are usually about one or two inside baseball episodes per season and I'm okay with this being one of them. Really good wordplay jokes, well pun.

I'd say the best meta episode is still the Vat of Acid Episode, the setup and payoff were just perfect in that one.

CelticPredator posted:

We need another Justin gets drunk and says nonsense in the microphone episodes.

We got a little of that at the very end with TAG MAN! He misses his wife!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pfff low meta levels here, didnt even go to the real world and have a car wash to save the animation budget.

or go to the apartment of Jack Kirby or Stan Lee to go "hey can you solve this week's problem?"

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I enjoyed this episode.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It was okay. Some good jokes scattered in between a lot of farting around and aimless self-depreciation—seriously, Dan, just chill the gently caress out and write, or don't, either is fine. It weirds me out how much he treats creativity as a burden. Sure it can be a double-edged sword, but it's not some kind of Sisyphean curse.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 22, 2022

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

No incest baby, 3/10 episode.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
This show has such a weird identity crisis. One of the reasons people love it is because it does do good story arcs. But it feels like once a season there's an episode dedicated to how much the writers apparently hate it. But they keep doing the story arcs and they turn out fine. Plus they do stand alone episodes all the time anyway. Then we get something like this where the lesson is that creativity is a horrible curse that only miserable people with mental illnesses are able to do well. Are we supposed to be happier with Mr. Poopybutthole clones and giant incest babies? What the hell do they even want? Or is this just one particular writer who can't seem to get his poo poo together?

All I know is that I'm getting sick of these episodes that are dedicated to how much they hate writing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TheFattestPat posted:

All I know is that I'm getting sick of these episodes that are dedicated to how much they hate writing.

Pretty sure this is some ghoulish overkill pointed at people who only want continuous story / deep lore episodes rather than the fun adventure of the week shows that Dan seems to prefer. The writers enjoy writing just fine, but they also enjoy poking fun at this show's vocal minority fans who are way too invested in their silly syfy cartoon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PhazonLink posted:

pfff low meta levels here, didnt even go to the real world and have a car wash to save the animation budget.

Man, Chowder was such a good show. I wish more people appreciated it then and now.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
That was a bunch of stupid annoying bullshit.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Why are so many people so sure that every episode is a cry for help from the writers’ room?

Rick is the one who hates continuity (and is aware he is on a show). This has been true since the pre-show “promo commercial” bumps. Rick is not the (not so) secret mouthpiece of Harmon. There are so many more fun and interesting ways to analyse the themes and techniques of the show than sifting for clues of some barely concealed super didactic direct message to the audience.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

Why are so many people so sure that every episode is a cry for help from the writers’ room?

because people have seen literally any other Dan Harmon work

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like the idea of doing another insanely meta Story Lord episode but I think it was too soon after the last Story Lord episode AND the heist episode.

"Do more season 1 adventures." "I am so sick of that loving note!" is loving hilarious though. Especially since the one expressing that sentiment is usually Rick.

I'm always pretty up for stuff where Harmon sniffs his own farts, so I found the episode pretty fun.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The Joseph Campbell bits didn't hit like the writers intended, I think. Neither as a way to carry the plot nor to deliver jokes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
okay I'll admit I liked the bit at the end where Alien Dan Harmon immediately went back to writing stupid bullshit and Campbell's ghost was screaming uselessly in the corner

that was a fun gag

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
idk whether harmon voicing campbell was more or less indulgent than harmon voicing harmon's self insert, really he should've voiced both.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Harmon should have had the balls to replace Joseph Campbell with himself and just play it straight like he’s a genius writer who has nothing to do with Rick and Morty itself.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Didn't Stephen King write a whole book that was just him getting back at the car who hit him with his car

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
As a creative writing major, loving Joseph Campbell showing up killed me.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That episode missed me, sorry. But then, so did story train, so I didn't expect this one to be different.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The cadence is extremely fast this season. That would be my only real gripe. They are just blasting through jokes and plot points. A lot of the time all I can do is register "that's a super clever joke" but they're already on to the next one.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TheMightyHandful posted:

No incest baby, 3/10 episode.

At this point if it doesn't have incest I dont consider it a proper Rick and Morty episode

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

God drat I wish Harmon was still doing Community instead of this show. Without the development of character relationships and emotional grounding, meta episodes like this are just boring.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Didn't Stephen King write a whole book that was just him getting back at the car who hit him with his car

Idk about that one but he wrote himself getting hit by the van into the Dark Tower series as a significant plot point, where it turns out the main character Roland wasn't quite fast enough to save him from the van.

It's actually a pretty good bit imo, and speaks a lot about the amount of self-loathing he was going through, but you gotta admit it takes balls to do something like that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Strange Cares posted:

God drat I wish Harmon was still doing Community instead of this show.

Good news, they're making a movie

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Strange Cares posted:

God drat I wish Harmon was still doing Community instead of this show.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/community-movie-peacock-dan-harmon-joel-mchale-1235389233/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Strange Cares posted:

God drat I wish Harmon was still doing Community instead of this show. Without the development of character relationships and emotional grounding, meta episodes like this are just boring.

I actually really love that Rick and Morty has the sci-fi conceit to allow episodes like this with a high concept "story gimmick" super hero team, so it's not just e.g. Abed reading a list of TV Tropes.

I just mainly wish it didn't have a big scoop of Harmon talking about how miserable and suicidal he is. Like, there's a lot of art that is explicitly about the artist's struggle with depression as well as the fact of their own mortality and the fleeting nature of their effect on the world (i.e. "nothing I do matters"). Maybe moreso in music, literature, movies, etc and not so much in long form comedy TV so Harmon thinks he can get away with it, but it always ends up being pretty obtuse (like literally saying "nothing I do matters, oh god I'm so depressed")

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Now I wish I could shapeshift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

Pretty sure this is some ghoulish overkill pointed at people who only want continuous story / deep lore episodes rather than the fun adventure of the week shows that Dan seems to prefer. The writers enjoy writing just fine, but they also enjoy poking fun at this show's vocal minority fans who are way too invested in their silly syfy cartoon.
I don't think that's what's happening at all and telling people you worked tirelessly to make care about a thing that they were foolish for doing so is far more a Stephen Moffat problem than a Harmon one.

This was a season 1 adventure romp. And it tied all of their meta episodes together and gave them a framework to keep doing them once every season or two. I freakin' loved it.