Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

fez_machine posted:

yeah that was objectively terrible

still pretty fun though

Yeah, "dumb fun" isn't my favorite type of Rick and Morty episode but it was still decent.

Some of the puns were good and I enjoyed Mr. Goldenfold giving Morty and T a hard time. His reassuring "no one is worse than you, Morty" was particularly amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That was incredibly dumb filler, but it was fun so itís fine. It even had Keith David in it!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

"Take this, it's a prophecy or some poo poo" might be my favourite line of the episode.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

Yup, best episode of the season, possibly the show.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Feels like it was the B plot for a a different episode. Wonder why this season hates B plots

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Well I mean obviously this episode revolved around the T plot.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

that was loving awful, but people itt enjoyed it, so w/e

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

That.. wasn't funny.

Could barely get through it. Like Solar Opposites' "The Wall", this is better off as a one time gag.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
last two episodes were pretty bad. both overdid a gag to death with the kauto bit and expanding the ice t gag to full episodes, woof

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
Terrible

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
saw the episode title, was like "that post-credits gag from a decade ago? that's an episode now? gently caress that," watched the first couple minutes to confirm that was what it was, and ended up watching the whole thing and having a pretty good time

the end, no moral

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I smiled the whole time so it did something right.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The theme of this season seems to be referencing things from previous seasons and making them longer and less funny. Also no B-plots for some reason.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lithium-P going instant Godwin was kind of yikes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really liked it. :shrug:

Taking something completely ludicrous and playing it with a mostly straight face is just my jam, I suppose.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
For those who don't know, "(primitive) googas" is a gag Harmon has been using for well over a decade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATW9Ay-wws

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The i of Harmony. :sigh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

THE ONE OF HARMONY :argh:

I wondered about that myself

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

THE ONE OF HARMONY :argh:

I wondered about that myself

Oh, that was absolutely on purpose.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If someone shows you that copypasta about how you need to be an intelligent incel to understand Rick and Morty, show them this episode.

Nothing wrong with stupid as long as you do it with conviction. They had a shot of Magma T shooting the bad guy's loving dick off! With like, a Sniper video game view of the shot!

This reminds me a lot of "Not without my Anus" from South Park. Boy, people went nuts about that one too, about how horrible it was. But gently caress that noise, it's loving fun.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 4, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dumb fun. Worked well enough for me because it was so stupid but they at least had a lot of fun with it in the dialog. So, so, many number/letter puns and references.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
worst episode in the season and probably the show, not really that funny which is the real crime

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Love a bottle episode with uncommon character pairings, five stars, hope they take more cues from American Dad in the future.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

shame on an IGA posted:

Love a bottle episode

this was the opposite of a bottle episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

Love a bottle episode with uncommon character pairings, five stars, hope they take more cues from American Dad in the future.

When they do a bottle episode, you'll know

Because it's a Dan Harmon show so at least one character will call it a bottle episode outright

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

YES...HAHAHAHA....EGG!
I dunno if you really can do a bottle episode in an animated show.

Google says yes, "Yes, animated shows do have some analogous production techniques to the live-action bottle episode. It's cheaper and faster to make an animated scene if it takes place in a space where all the backgrounds have already been created."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jerry, assistant clothing. makeup!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

MJeff posted:

Google says yes, "Yes, animated shows do have some analogous production techniques to the live-action bottle episode. It's cheaper and faster to make an animated scene if it takes place in a space where all the backgrounds have already been created."

There was that Family Guy episode where Brian and Stewie were stuck in a bank vault and Brian had to eat diaper poop. There might be others

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Night Family is the closest this show has got to a bottle episode, and that had the super expensive freeway chase at the end.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

YES...HAHAHAHA....EGG!

hatty posted:

There was that Family Guy episode where Brian and Stewie were stuck in a bank vault and Brian had to eat diaper poop. There might be others

"PLEASE.....PLEASE GIVE US AN OSCAR!"

I think Night Family is the closest this show has got to a bottle episode, and that had the super expensive freeway chase at the end.

Yeah every episode that seems like it might be a bottle episode like Total Rickall or Vat of Acid very quickly and deliberately becomes not a bottle episode.

Senor Tron
May 25, 2006

MJeff posted:

Morty! Look! I've done it, I've turned myself invisible and transported us to the nothingness dimension!

I'm invisible in a featureless void Rick!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Morty! Look! I've done it, I've turned myself invisible and transported us to the nothingness dimension!

I'm invisible in a featureless void Rick!

Hmm, did Season 2 episode 1 take place almost entirely in the garage (and empty space?)

It had a bazillion timelines so they had to limit the scope of it in terms of locations, and that still didn't lessen the load on anyone

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

That Bojack Horseman where most of the episode is him giving his mom's eulogy

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Ryaomon posted:

Also no B-plots for some reason.

Yeah, I don't miss Roiland in the breakup, the new voice actors are doing a fine job, I just wish he didn't end up with custody of the B-plots. I almost wonder if they're gonna do a stupid meta thing where a villain "stole" the season's b-plots, but really I just miss that we're not really spending any time with Beth or Jerry

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Slightly Absurd posted:

Yeah, I don't miss Roiland in the breakup, the new voice actors are doing a fine job, I just wish he didn't end up with custody of the B-plots. I almost wonder if they're gonna do a stupid meta thing where a villain "stole" the season's b-plots, but really I just miss that we're not really spending any time with Beth or Jerry

This season was written and animated, and mostly complete before Roiland was fired.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This season's doing a thing where basically every episode is just an extended look into one of the side characters. This was Goldenfold, but you've also had Poopybutthole, a Jerry/Rick ep, a Rick/Summer ep, etc. I assume next week is a Beth focused ep. It's a deliberate stylistic departure to tell stories that mostly aren't Rick/Morty stories.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

YES...HAHAHAHA....EGG!

This season's doing a thing where basically every episode is just an extended look into one of the side characters. This was Goldenfold, but you've also had Poopybutthole, a Jerry/Rick ep, a Rick/Summer ep, etc. I assume next week is a Beth focused ep. It's a deliberate stylistic departure to tell stories that mostly aren't Rick/Morty stories.

Even the big lore episode that wrapped up Rick's major arc was, in reality, an Evil Morty episode.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
He's killing everyone! And every two, every three... So dumb but I laughed.

Nikumatic posted:

i mean Dread Nought was an A+ goddamn name for a big evil zero

I was sure there was going to be a divide by zero joke in there somewhere :(

e:

The_Doctor posted:

:hehe: Harmon-y

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 5, 2023

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
That was awesome.

Don't know what they are giving the writers this season but keep it going.

They did great plot, great bizarre stuff (spaghetti) and now great dumb fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm just surprised they got Ice-T to do a voice in an episode that continued their joke making fun of Ice-T's name.