Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welcome, friends, to the thread for Season 3 of everyone’s favorite cartoon, Jerry and Morty, about the far-out adventures of Jerry Smith and his dim-witted son Morty! For those of you who don’t remember or weren’t around for the season 2 finale, Jerry heroically rescued his family from the evil Sanchez and won the (continued) respect of his wife and children. Jerry got a cool new job, Sanchez is in prison and the Smith family is living happily. That’s not the end, though! With this family, every day’s an adventure!

This is a chill place to post about whatever crosses your mind. You’re among friends here, so nothing is off the table. We’re pretty laid-back here in the J&M thread.

Characters

Jerry loves his family, ice cream, and not being outwardly challenged. What’s not to love? This fan favorite character always knows how to tickle your funny bone and tug at your heartstrings.

Morty is the dim-witted son of Jerry, whose goofball schemes land the pair in hot water time and time again. Sadly, he’ll be leaving partway through Season 3 to live with his own adult son, but he wasn’t much of a character anyway.

Beth is Jerry’s wife, who loves him very much. As you can see, she’s quite the boozer, hah!

Sanchez, pictured here with his accomplice Summer, is constantly trying to upset Jerry by making fun of his joblessness and thwart his adventures with Morty. Sentenced to death for his crimes.

Is Mr. Poopybutthole a parasite? There’s just no way of knowing, but you’re free to discuss it here!

Jerry and Morty returns some time this summer, but in a special surprise, the first episode aired unannounced yesterday, on April Fools' Day.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Well goddamn

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope the crew aims for funny more than continuity.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

I think the end of Rickshaw Redemption indicates that continuity, while present, will mostly recede to the background this season. That said, I take several of Dan's statements to mean that we'll probably get a Meeseeks episode and an Evil Morty episode this season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Good OP

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope the crew aims for continuity rather than humour.

With a gun. In the head.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I hope you aim for funny more than continuity.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A new thread?

I don't get it, we pretty much nailed it the first time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

AndyElusive posted:

I hope you aim for funny more than continuity.

Why? I'm not good at either.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Excelzior posted:

A new thread?

I don't get it, we pretty much nailed it the first time.

Previous thread had to take a poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This season is off to a good start and I'm ok on waiting for further episodes as this has tided me over pretty well.

When's the new season of Venture Brothers due? 2023?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

El Jeffe posted:

Rick says a lot of things. The fact that young Beth is there (in the "origin story" part) means that at least some of it was from memory and not imagination. My thought is that most of that part was made-up, especially the formula, but his family dying really happened which set in motion his dimension-hopping years.

Nah, I think that bit was just to make fun of cliché backstories, I don't think Dan would do the stereotypical "Man motivated to become superhero from non-developed female characters getting murdered/fridged". I don't think Rick really has a backstory until it becomes relevant to the story, Schroedinger's backstory sorta thing. He's less a character and more a vector of communication from the writers expressing their own life. I think that's a defining feature of R&M maybe, the conversational and very direct tone, but with a bunch of cool sci-fi concepts and action sequences to make it interesting.

I think it's more likely that Rick probably left his family to go on adventures with himself, completely selfishly, and then only later attempted reconnecting with whatever resemblance of a family he now had once he found himself unfulfilled by scifi action rigmarole.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
This poo poo is bound to be loving epic goonsirs. New thread hoipe!!!!!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I like overheard somewhere that the next episodes won't be coming out until Summer time, which I guess is not too far away but still pretty far. I also haven't the faintest idea where I heard that so I could be completely mistaken. Is there any new info on the release schedule?

Also I'm wondering if maybe the April Fools day episode might have subtle difference from the one they put on TV. Probably not but who knows?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Megaspel posted:

I like overheard somewhere that the next episodes won't be coming out until Summer time, which I guess is not too far away but still pretty far. I also haven't the faintest idea where I heard that so I could be completely mistaken. Is there any new info on the release schedule?

Also I'm wondering if maybe the April Fools day episode might have subtle difference from the one they put on TV. Probably not but who knows?

One of the ads last night said new episodes coming this Summer but that's all we know about the scheduling.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There's an AS promo with pickle Rick that said it'll be summer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megaspel posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. This was an early leak episode as a joke, but if they were really going to start airing it soon they'd tell us when already. No exact date means its not gonna be for another month at the very very least.

And I would love for there to be some subtle difference in the final episode. We'll see. Maybe too much work but I could see Harmon going for poo poo like that. I mean the fact that they even did this april fools joke...

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
I put my complete faith in the boys at Williams Street. AS and Harmon are bound to deliver at their own pace.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Megaspel posted:

Nah, I think that bit was just to make fun of cliché backstories, I don't think Dan would do the stereotypical "Man motivated to become superhero from non-developed female characters getting murdered/fridged". I don't think Rick really has a backstory until it becomes relevant to the story, Schroedinger's backstory sorta thing. He's less a character and more a vector of communication from the writers expressing their own life. I think that's a defining feature of R&M maybe, the conversational and very direct tone, but with a bunch of cool sci-fi concepts and action sequences to make it interesting.

I think it's more likely that Rick probably left his family to go on adventures with himself, completely selfishly, and then only later attempted reconnecting with whatever resemblance of a family he now had once he found himself unfulfilled by scifi action rigmarole.

He's more like a demon or some kind of hosed up god.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Re: Evil Morty, he's pretty hard to spot. A comment on the vid.me video says he's at -5:52; I had to watch from -6:30 to -5:30 to finally spot him.

As to why I think he's Evil Morty, well, what other Morty would be very surreptitiously and calmly hiding whilst the Ricks and Galactic Federation are having the mother of all brouhahas? Even Rick was high tailing it through that particular scene.

Moreover, thinking about Morty's portrayal in the episode, it makes very good thematic sense. Only Summer (and maybe Beth) see Rick as something like a "hero" while Morty, living happily without Rick, :

a) tells Summer that Rick is either a demon or "hosed up god".
b) intentionally takes her to the Cronenbergverse to give her living proof of how massively and callously Rick can gently caress up (note also how Rick Potion may be the first episode where the viewer sees the totality of the psychological trauma Morty is undergoing, then Rixty Minutes has the "come watch tv speech", and this episode has Summer digging up the body of the "Grandpa she could trust" i.e. her original Rick to reveal the hosed-up-ness of Morty's Rick), and
c) shoots Rick in the head with the full intent to kill him, despite the incredibly dire circumstances, merely because Rick pissed him off by calling him stupid.

And the episode ends with a reframing/restablishment of the abusive or exploitative relationship between Rick and Morty, calling us back to the very first episode.

Rick has said that a Morty that gets too big for his britches can be bad news. But how or why? They're Mortys, presumptively retarded, so much so that a given Morty masks a Rick's genius. How can one Morty ever pose a threat to a single, non poo poo-eating Rick, nevermind an interdimensional council? More importantly, given Rickiest Rick's aversion to socializing, how does he know about the danger a rogue Morty could pose?

I think there is at least one "special" Morty who is not "retarded". I think that special Morty learned a lot from his Rick, especially regarding the unending cruelty and meaninglessness of the multiverse. I think it hosed him up reaaaalllll bad.

I don't think "our" Morty is even stupid. Naive, trusting, insecure, fallible, sure! But he's never struck me as someone incapable of learning from past misadventures and instead has seemed very adaptable to most wackadoo situations. I think that takes some ability to think on one's feet.

Basically, I think there's a lotta poo poo that's gonna pop up regarding Morty's increased independence and more jaundiced view of Rick and Evil Morty may come into play when that happens.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Rick and Morty Jerry and Morty: Season 3 - I'm gonna go take a poo poo...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For some reason I'm in the mood for a 10 piece mcnuggets meal.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just realized that Rick didn't have to take a poo poo constantly, but that every body he took over had to take a poo poo just when he happened into them. Makes you think.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

who's Rick, this is a serious thread, you guys need to stop posting about your weird fanfiction in here

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It could be that, but i thouyght it was just his way to get out of wherever he was

maybe both

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Episode one was great

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, it was terrible. The main character, Jerry, doesn't show up all that often in it and he doesn't do anything!

Garbage trash 0/10 Would not recommend

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megaspel posted:

Why Rick was ever married or a parent in the first place is the question I have. There's gotta be a weirder, more hosed up situation there from day 1.

My lovely fanfic: Rick's original wife was also an amoral genius, but something happened between them and he self-medicated by banging a dumber multiverse doppelgänger of her. Then he dipped when he realized the doppelgänger wasn't as interesting, but Beth had already been born.

Or, Rick just needed a daughter for Morty to exist because of determinist time travel shenanigans.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
My wife just pointed out that the "real" Rick (and any body he is inhabiting) is the only one that drools. I love the attention to detail in this show.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megaspel posted:

Nah, I think that bit was just to make fun of cliché backstories, I don't think Dan would do the stereotypical "Man motivated to become superhero from non-developed female characters getting murdered/fridged". I don't think Rick really has a backstory until it becomes relevant to the story, Schroedinger's backstory sorta thing.

I take Rick's fake backstory as significant insofar as it reflects on the Council Of Ricks. I don't think the story Rick made up has any bearing on his own past, but I do think that it's something the Council Of Ricks would plausibly do. I could be totally off, though.

Xealot posted:

Why Rick was ever married or a parent in the first place is the question I have. There's gotta be a weirder, more hosed up situation there from day 1.

Yeah, this. I'm not really hungry for a Rick backstory, except insofar as one is needed to give Beth a backstory.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
How much yall want to bet McDonalds will eventually offer a rick and morty themed szechwan sauce?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Did y'all notice the Rick-who-is-a-Morty at the Citadel? I'm loving the easter eggs in the rewatch!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Seal Team Ricks in the house!

Caught me by surprise.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Jove posted:

Re: Evil Morty, he's pretty hard to spot. A comment on the vid.me video says he's at -5:52; I had to watch from -6:30 to -5:30 to finally spot him.

As to why I think he's Evil Morty, well, what other Morty would be very surreptitiously and calmly hiding whilst the Ricks and Galactic Federation are having the mother of all brouhahas? Even Rick was high tailing it through that particular scene.

Basically, I think there's a lotta poo poo that's gonna pop up regarding Morty's increased independence and more jaundiced view of Rick and Evil Morty may come into play when that happens.

Man I still can't spot Evil Morty.

But I definitely think you're spot on. The show's creators seem to be trying very hard to not create continuity but they really have with the characters' development. Can't forget the purge episode when Morty just flips the gently caress out and Rick lies to assuage him afterwards as another example of a moment where we can clearly see Morty's character development.

Morty fulling intending to kill Rick--I can't recall if he's ever done that before--I feel is/will be like a defining character moment like Rick failing to commit suicide only out of his own drunkenness.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pavlov posted:

How much yall want to bet McDonalds will eventually offer a rick and morty themed szechwan sauce?

I'm leaning towards thinking that won't happen, or at least, if it did, it would taste significantly different than the original Mulan szechwan sauce. Disney hasn't had any tie-ins with McDonald's for over a decade since they don't want to be associated with childhood obesity and I don't know for sure but it seems like McD's could run into copyright issues with bringing back the sauce, even under a different name.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I doubt McDonalds wants to deal with people being aware of a connection between them and Rick and loving Morty.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Guys, the sauce is just food coloring #7 plus glucosamine 3% plus water at the expense if hypofaginote2.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

McDonald's corp already tweeted at them

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Human Crouton posted:

Guys, the sauce is just food coloring #7 plus glucosamine 3% plus water at the expense if hypofaginote2.

Who cares, it's delicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Human Crouton posted:

No no, it's one part cesium, two parts plutonic quarks and 16 ounces of water.