Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Typical posted:

Umm well Its just F1V3 = Five, but I like your analysis.

Congratulations on becoming the posthumous author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Morty being injected with the Rick vial at the end instead would have made a decent Evil Morty origin story, methinks.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I think my favorite bit that hasn't been mentioned yet is Morty nervously starting to whistle the Colonel Bogey March as the squirrels follow him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

We did see a memory of Mr. Poopybutthole, which goes with that one theory about how we sometimes follow a different Rick and Morty combo (the Parasite Episode, and the Blips and Chips/Jerry Darcare episode are the same combo). Jerry's Mindblower box had a memory tape labeled Sleepy Gary which kinda adds more fuel to it.

They're all the same combo. Its all C-137 until Harmon comes up for a reason for it not to be. Assuming that they're not the same just because they could or could not is silly. There's nothing definitive saying they aren't and the show clearly runs on the assumption that they are, so until they subvert that expectation you should just go with it.

Dienes posted:

I like that Rick anticipated how mean they would be when they woke up and tried to get Summer out of there before it happened.

I think they kinda went too far with this one. Rick trusts Summer enough for her to be his emergency backup memory plan, and yet she's not good enough to go on more adventures with him?

Baronjutter posted:

A fully Roiland episode would have very little plot and see them going to a dimension of wrinkly ball sack creatures that eat their own poo poo, graphically, and get off by stabbing people and loving the stab hole then making GBS threads in the stab hole. Morty would get stabbed and shat in, which would inflect him causing his head to swell up and become a huge scrotum and only eating rick's human poop would save him. A bunch of kids would be killed in horrible ways, lots of random stabbing and death and making GBS threads.

Yep. We know this to be true because of Rick and Mharti.

Harmon is the reason this show has ideas beyond "poop and butts"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 19, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I think they kinda went too far with this one. Rick trusts Summer enough for her to be his emergency backup memory plan, and yet she's not good enough to go on more adventures with him?

Morty is camouflage. Who knows if Rick would even bring him if he wasn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

21 Muns posted:

I do like this direction, but I think it would be interesting to see a season that goes as far in the Roiland direction from the first two seasons as this season goes in the Harmon direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfsg_eor5TM nsfw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doc and Mharti is my favorite kind of art. Made with anger and done with supreme silliness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bates posted:

Morty is camouflage. Who knows if Rick would even bring him if he wasn't.

Toxic episode makes it likely and makes it seem like the whole camouflage thing is more of an excuse.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tarlibone posted:

Good question. I think it's easy these days to take the notion that a season will always end with some big story arc for granite.

I still find it difficult to believe that memory was real. :mad:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Jog my memory: has Rick ever taken Beth on an adventure?

I mean besides the Morty-traumatizing clip this episode.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

We did see a memory of Mr. Poopybutthole, which goes with that one theory about how we sometimes follow a different Rick and Morty combo (the Parasite Episode, and the Blips and Chips/Jerry Darcare episode are the same combo). Jerry's Mindblower box had a memory tape labeled Sleepy Gary which kinda adds more fuel to it.

Oh I missed the Sleepy Gary tape! I like this idea.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Jog my memory: has Rick ever taken Beth on an adventure?

I mean besides the Morty-traumatizing clip this episode.

Only if Wedding Squanchers counts. Next week is going to be a Rick/Beth adventure; no Morty, though.

Come to think of it, there's never been an adventure with Rick, Morty, and any individual person other than Summer. Jerry tried to tag along that one time but he got left at daycare instead.

Zaphod42 posted:

They're all the same combo. Its all C-137 until Harmon comes up for a reason for it not to be. Assuming that they're not the same just because they could or could not is silly. There's nothing definitive saying they aren't and the show clearly runs on the assumption that they are, so until they subvert that expectation you should just go with it.

Alternate take: no two episodes have the same version of the characters, and in fact each time the camera cuts it's an entirely different Rick and Morty we're seeing.

Big Luke, but for Rick And Morty universes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I love how petty Rick was for making true level. He just sees Morty messing around with a leveling stick and has to show off his knowledge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gaunab posted:

I love how petty Rick was for making true level. He just sees Morty messing around with a leveling stick and has to show off his knowledge.

Yeah, that was really hosed. Morty is just making a shelf, and then Rick acts like a giant douche and ruins Morty's sense of level surfaces until the memory gets removed.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This show is making me root really hard for Morty to eventually end his relationship with Rick, and give himself the chance to grow up and be a somewhat well adjusted person, even at the expense of not seeing cool sci-fi poo poo.

So yeah, its been a very Dan Harmon dominated season.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that was really hosed. Morty is just making a shelf, and then Rick acts like a giant douche and ruins Morty's sense of level surfaces until the memory gets removed.

TBF, this seems to be how Rick feels all the time; he's just learned to cope with it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Even better is Morty's "Ugh, yes?" when Rick asks about experiencing True Level. He knows it won't end well, but he also knows that not going along with it will only prolong things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

This show is making me root really hard for Morty to eventually end his relationship with Rick, and give himself the chance to grow up and be a somewhat well adjusted person, even at the expense of not seeing cool sci-fi poo poo.

Morty is growing massively even staying with Rick. If anything staying with him is forcing him to grow in ways Rick himself didn't expect. Its going somewhere.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mike N Eich posted:

To be fair when pushed to his limit Morty's go to move seems to be social engineering, which is equally as scary on a personal level to wacky super science bullshit. Lets be happy Rick and Morty are tied to each other like anchors, it keeps them from using their full potential on everyone else.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah, for me a good ending to this show is Morty telling Rick enough is enough and cutting him out of his life. Although that may not be a good thing if the theories about Evil Morty are true.

Anyway, I did start watching the Harmontown clips on Youtube. Dan Harmon seems like the kind of guy you really shouldn't want in your life, but he is utterly fascinating to talk to. I hope Peak Hitler is a idea he uses in the show down the line.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This show ends with Rick's whole family dead, Morty dead, and Rick blowing his brains out.

Except he's out of bullets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

This show ends with Rick's whole family dead, Morty dead, and Rick blowing his brains out.

Except he's out of bullets.

Its Rick dude, being out of bullets won't stop him if he really wants to die. That's dumb. He'd just invent a ray gun or a heat beam or something. He killed like 20 dudes with thumbtacks and a couple pickles.

He already almost killed himself once but he changed his mind. He would either kill himself or change his mind. The idea Rick would be like "noooo I can't do thing" is like... wrong character?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's stuck on a planet or something.

Rick ends broken and alone as everyone dies.

And then someone just takes a poo poo on him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
drat, that buzzer when that red head makes a basket.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its Rick dude, being out of bullets won't stop him if he really wants to die. That's dumb. He'd just invent a ray gun or a heat beam or something. He killed like 20 dudes with thumbtacks and a couple pickles.

He already almost killed himself once but he changed his mind. He would either kill himself or change his mind. The idea Rick would be like "noooo I can't do thing" is like... wrong character?

He didn't change his mind, he passed out.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One thing we definitely learned is that Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland don't like MIB II.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who honestly does

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

empty whippet box posted:

One thing we definitely learned is that Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland don't like MIB II.

Not a controversial opinion

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
MIB 2 isn't even 90 minutes long.

It's 88 minutes long.

It was definitely a shameless cash grab.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

He didn't change his mind, he passed out.

The fact that Rick is now conscious implies that at some point, he woke up...

Like yeah he didn't change his mind THEN, but again we were talking about what would happen if the gun didn't have any bullets. poo poo goons are bad at context. Just desperate to point something out you think somebody missed in a TV show?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, I went ahead an checked, I rewound what the Truth Tortoise says: "I'm a Beatle, Paul is Dead".

Preeeeetty good gag.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Like yeah he didn't change his mind THEN, but again we were talking about what would happen if the gun didn't have any bullets. poo poo goons are bad at context. Just desperate to point something out you think somebody missed in a TV show?

If he's out of bullets he gets out of the car and starts yelling at the fog monsters to come kill him, only for the military to come solve the problem. Being Rick, he will then begin yelling at and verbally dunking on the military. Roll credits.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finally saw episode 8. Must say, episode 7 spoiled me, so this wasn't as great, but still good fun.

I would say this was slightly better than interdimensional cable 1 & 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

It failed, that doesn't mean he changed his mind. He could have just put it off until later. You clearly don't know how depression works.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
so earth rick c-137 is the only one with "rickness" maxed out? every other rick is basically a deviation from that ideal rick.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fututor Magnus posted:

so earth rick c-137 is the only one with "rickness" maxed out? every other rick is basically a deviation from that ideal rick.

Well, duh, C-137 is the only one with a TV show following his exploits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don't forget the one between him and evil Rick.

He's really weird.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Eh. I liked it but my favorite moment after squirrels and granted was the hunters hunting a shed or something.

A house. They were House Hunters

Such a tiny joke but it made me laugh loudly

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It still kind of blows my mind that Rick is the smartest and maybe the most dangerous man in the universe and yet a whole lot of them would rather live on some space station and have normal lives as working stiffs and petty power plays in the grand scheme of the universe. So many Ricks were that scared of the Federation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BigRed0427 posted:

It still kind of blows my mind that Rick is the smartest and maybe the most dangerous man in the universe and yet a whole lot of them would rather live on some space station and have normal lives as working stiffs and petty power plays in the grand scheme of the universe. So many Ricks were that scared of the Federation?

I think it's less scared and more not willing to deal with it or handle it.

Basically, the independent Rick has nobody that can handle his problems but himself. Sure, he has allies, friends, people he can trick into helping him, etc. but he can't really count on anyone to make the effort to deal with the problem in a satisfying manner (i.e. how he'd do it). The idea of the Citadel sounds great on paper. Ricks collaborating so they don't have to deal with all their various problems themselves. They can get away from their home life as well. They can all be Ricks together! But the reality is quite different and the Ricks with money and power exploit the Ricks and Mortys who don't.

You can also probably point at this as a general measure of their competence. The C-137 Rick is usually on his guard. The Citadel Ricks have grown softer and weaker because they don't have to be as alert or on guard in their day-to-day lives, at least not in the same way as an independent Rick would.