Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sassassin posted:

People give showrunners too much credit. It's a team effort and these teams change a lot of the course of seasons.

It really depends on the showrunners, the amount of material to produce, etc. Like, The Simpsons was highly collaborative and no single person's "vision"--but that show was extremely episodic, joke driven, had like 26 episodes every 12 months, the creators (Brooks, Simon, Groening) were at a remove from pretty early on. In contrast (and I say this with no actual knowledge of how the show works), Harmon & Roiland are still very much day to day, they took 18 months to make 10 episodes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I don't think Rick and Morty is subject to regular TV rules anyway because the core of it is closer to The Phil Hendrie [radio] Show than a normal TV show: the core is one guy doing different voices for different characters he created improving with himself.

Since Phil Hendrie is actually on Rick and Morty, I sometimes wonder if Hendrie was an inspiration to Justin Roiland at some point in his life.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You know what I hope? I hope Rick gets the Szechuan sauce and he hates it now and he says a hilarious thing about people who like a sauce for dumb reasons.

That would be neat.

i've yet to hear anyone actually talk about the sauce's taste

it's not about the sauce... it's about sending a message

[youtube clip of millenial spazzing on a mcdonalds counter goes here]

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

maskenfreiheit posted:

Most people who've had some seem to say some variation on "It's okay."

The closest thing I've seen to a description of the taste is "teriyaki," although that does make me wonder how it stacks up to the homemade sauces that were made based on the schezuan labeling, since AFAIK that and teriyaki aren't really the same thing. I didn't try any of the homemade sauces though.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

ninjewtsu posted:

Wasn't king of the hill pretty consistently great too

I'd say things started to change in season 7 in terms of more guest stars and modern storylines (the boy band episode being the premiere,) and really more noticeably in season 9 (the season Lucky was introduced as Luanne's boyfriend.)

But overall, the show managed to maintain the characters' personalities for the most part. Of course, the show was also notorious for having tons and tons of different writers, which resulted in several continuity errors.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MariusLecter posted:

Pickle Rick!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 16, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please source your quotes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nickmeister posted:

Maybe I'm slow, but I need an explanation about the "Toxic" episode:

"Healthy" Rick doesn't care about Morty? Did Rick think caring about Morty was "toxic?" But I guess he's cool with his daughter and granddaughter? And that's why he's cool with torturing toxic Morty?

Its less "caring about Morty" and more "dependent upon showing Morty how cool he is all the time to get external reinforcement"

Lets be honest Rick doesn't really care about Morty's well being all that much, even the normal non-Toxic Rick.

Steve2911 posted:

I'd say Always Sunny went into 'hit and miss' territory after 7 or 8 seasons, which was pretty good going.

Yeah there's several Always Sunny episodes that are pretty low quality. The show's still doing very well though overall, considering how long its been on.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 17, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't think of a single truly bad IASIP episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cojawfee posted:

At first I thought I'd be cheeky and say the bottle episode where the convenience store gets robbed but the whole episode is great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

I mean "truly bad" quickly turns into splitting hairs, but like "the gang hits the slopes" was pretty weak, "rear end kickers united" wasn't particularly great, etc. They hit such a high note with most of the episodes, not all of them hold up to the same level.

There's probably even better examples but those are the episodes that come off the top of my head.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Frank's Brother.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franks Brother has a flashback with kid Devito looking exactly like modern Devito.

It's pretty funny. Plus, "I make the sandwich in my mouth!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

Wasn't king of the hill pretty consistently great too

King of the Hill was never great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

Frank's Brother.

I think your opinion is terrible. You leave me no choice but to be a mature rear end adult about this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I think your opinion is terrible. You leave me no choice but to be a mature rear end adult about this.

Lance Reddick definitely the best part of that episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Shady Nasty's

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Hey, look at how wrong this guy is, folks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

"the gang hits the slopes" was pretty weak

That episode is loving great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Funkmaster General posted:

Hey, look at how wrong this guy is, folks.

It's like I'm at the freakshow. And my monitor's on this time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Onomarchus posted:

I don't think Rick and Morty is subject to regular TV rules anyway because the core of it is closer to The Phil Hendrie [radio] Show than a normal TV show: the core is one guy doing different voices for different characters he created improving with himself.

Since Phil Hendrie is actually on Rick and Morty, I sometimes wonder if Hendrie was an inspiration to Justin Roiland at some point in his life.

I remember seeing Hendrie's name in the credits the first or second episode I saw and it is why I decided to watch more.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/get-excited-rick-morty-fans-honda-re-release-beths-2009-honda-civic/

quote:

Honda agreed to a limited re-release of character Beth Smith’s 2009 Honda Civic as seen in episode 4, M. Night Shamaliens, today, following a massive online campaign from Rick & Morty fans.

“As if by intergalactic fate or craven corporate desire to co-opt anything artistic and good, you all happen to live in the dimension where Honda brings back this timeless, 8-year old design,” said representatives from Honda in a press release today. “So we are going to make about five of these things and release them to one dealership.”

Fan response online was decidedly enthusiastic with Twitter hashtags “#RickAndMorty”, “#BethsHonda” and “#WomenWritersRuinedR&M” trending for much of the day.

“I already allowed R&M to dominate my entire personality so at this point spending thousands on a used car barely registers. It’s late capitalism, baby! Wubba lubba dub dub!” wrote fan u/PickleJeff. “I’M HONDA RICK!!!!!!!”

This is satire

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's real, scud is reeaaaall mahrti! It's reeeeeaaalll

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Mr. Stringy Cheesehole?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Ooh-Wee!

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

McDonald's should run a "Hungry for Apples?" ad campaign where you get a free apple with your Happy Meal or you have to buy an apple to get the Sauce when it comes back.

This one might require some actual licensing though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People should have to say "I am mentally inferior to everyone in this room. I have no personality, so I steal one from a cartoon character. Please give me the meme sauce" in order to get it. Also they have to pronounce it "may-may."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You have to recite the entire Googas video to get it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like Rick and Morty. I think its a funny show. I also kinda think it would be even funnier if it was cancelled. Its kinda twisted, but I'm imagining the fanbase melting down, Dan Harmon living in a gutter, etc.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mantis42 posted:

I like Rick and Morty. I think its a funny show. I also kinda think it would be even funnier if it was cancelled. Its kinda twisted, but I'm imagining the fanbase melting down, Dan Harmon living in a gutter, etc.

welcome 2 my twisted mind.....

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mantis42 posted:

Sam Hyde is Dan Harmon's dorian grey portrait

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's not about the sauce... it's about sending a message

[youtube clip of millenial spazzing on a mcdonalds counter goes here]

What exactly is the taste of running a joke into the ground as quickly as possible?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

Dan Harmon would get hired by someone else, just like he did with Rick and Morty, which came after he got canned.

Dannywise isn't gonna happen:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You can just get szechuan sauce, you know. At a grocery store. It's everywhere.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I went to target and Kohl’s and both places had Rick and Morty shirts and target had dang Rick and Morty plushies for like meseeks and stuff

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
http://junkee.com/rick-and-morty-toxic-fandom/130622

quote:

It’s times like these when the reaction of fans makes you want to distance yourself from something you love and that’s heartbreaking. A lot of modern pop culture fandom is waiting for other people to ruin it. These reactions say nothing about the actual content of each production. With Rick and Morty, it’s still a great show; nobody should be shamed into not liking something because of a few bozo fans.

But why is this toxic behaviour spreading? It’s because fans are pining for the days when certain aspects of pop culture fandom were contained within the sub-culture. Fandom is not about what you love, but how you love it. The way you engage with other fans says more about you, than getting a Batman tattoo on your bicep. People are overcompensating for the sake of beating other people at loving something.

Modern fandom is now a game and, I get it, it’s hard to feel special when you’re a face in the crowd of millions of people. A lot of bad behaving fans look for an excuse to be oppressed so they can separate themselves from the mainstream. A lot of it is perpetuated by the myth of the once-tortured geek who bet on everything that’s now popular.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You can just get szechuan sauce, you know. At a grocery store. It's everywhere.

It's not the same though. I want to try the Gross McDonald's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cojawfee posted:

While watching that video, I noticed there's a basketball hoop over the garage. Who is that for? Does anyone in their family even play basketball?

Jerry is the type of dad that would get it just to bond with his son even if Morty has indicated that he doesn't give a poo poo about sport.