Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SatansOnion posted:

(while pretending to be Jerry, who incidentally loves licking big hairy sweaty ballsacks).

That scene has one of my favorite line deliveries. "Uhhhh....ok."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

eh listen, i might've said it as a spur of the moment thing, but i really feel rick and morty was the strongest in the first season, and steadily been growing weaker.
might just be i don't like the direction the series is taking and that's fine, i dunno, not taking anything away from you people.

if this episode was a setup for something nice in the future i'd be happy but just as often the creators seem to like to take a big dump on you

i think the second season was way stronger and more consistent than the first to be honest. i really liked this episode and its definitely far too early to say if the quality has significantly diminished. most cartoons in my experience peak at their third season so we'll see.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
different taste i guess

i shouldn't have shittalked that much tho :shobon:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bull3964 posted:

It would be really interesting to see Beth's reaction to the fact that not only is her real father dead, this iteration of Rick bailed on (presumably) his Beth and left her to a world of monsters.

I think the realization of that could drive her back to Jerry.

That is both really interesting and plausible!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every time Jerry and Beth have teamed up without rick around they've done well.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

i think the second season was way stronger and more consistent than the first to be honest. i really liked this episode and its definitely far too early to say if the quality has significantly diminished. most cartoons in my experience peak at their third season so we'll see.

This seems totally consistent with season 2 quality, which was really good quality.

I honestly love how there's already people acting like the 3rd season is going to be terrible based on......... uh.... a good pre-released episode?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope we still see Jerry some. I like him, mostly I think because Parnell's voice is now burned into my head as the quintessential loser thanks to R&M and Archer.

At least in Archer, his character has a penis so huge that he had to look into getting it ensmalled, and he was an inexplicably proficient sex addict who got so much trim on the side that Lana found his cheating more loathsome than Archer's. I don't feel too bad about him being the Archer butt monkey because he got laid. Like, a lot. Jerry? Not quite so much.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The thing with Jerry for me is that despite him being right in a lot of ways regarding Rick he's also kind of a massive piece of poo poo. Let's not forget the time he left his wife out of the car he was hiding in with a crazed homeless man or his (at least in the comics) willingness to let his children be murdered if he could be spared and just overall worthlessness.

Yeah his family doesn't really respect him but he kinda doesn't deserve any.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tarlibone posted:

At least in Archer, his character has a penis so huge that he had to look into getting it ensmalled, and he was an inexplicably proficient sex addict who got so much trim on the side that Lana found his cheating more loathsome than Archer's. I don't feel too bad about him being the Archer butt monkey because he got laid. Like, a lot. Jerry? Not quite so much.

Lana said he was big like once, and that's the only reason she was dating him for awhile. Despite his supposed sex addiction we haven't seen him not pathetic and alone for like several seasons now, probably since season one. I'm rewatching season seven since it just dropped on Netflix, and my favorite Malory burn from the last episode was Cyril: How's Ron? Malory: Oh he's fine, how's nobody? I don't think he's getting laid like ever.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

The thing with Jerry for me is that despite him being right in a lot of ways regarding Rick he's also kind of a massive piece of poo poo. Let's not forget the time he left his wife out of the car he was hiding in with a crazed homeless man or his (at least in the comics) willingness to let his children be murdered if he could be spared and just overall worthlessness.

Yeah his family doesn't really respect him but he kinda doesn't deserve any.

and who can forget when he had an affair with beth's husband sleepy gary

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Jerry is basically cartoon EB Farnum. He's a scummy, self-absorbed shitheel. He simultaneously thinks everyone else is beneath him and that he's the only person whose problems matter. He's the least likable character on the show.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also so bad at golf he almost caused the end of the world once.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Finally got around to watching the premiere,and it was really drat good. Didn't expect the Darth Vader moment.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Jerry is basically a better written Meg from Family Guy. They both get poo poo on constantly to the point where it borders/edges into cruelty but while with Meg she's just a high schooler with typical teen issues so it seems really hosed up and honestly not funny when the show dumps on her so hard, Jerry is very clearly shown to deserve most if not all of the poo poo that gets thrown on him so it makes it easier to laugh at it.

Like that scene where Beth finds that huge phone bill from a 900 number that was literally Jerry desperately trying to talk to someone for friendship would be legitimately depressing for another character but for Jerry it just seems pathetic since earlier in the episode he was literally trying to scam his own daughter for money.

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Like that scene where Beth finds that huge phone bill from a 900 number that was literally Jerry desperately trying to talk to someone for friendship would be legitimately depressing for another character but for Jerry it just seems pathetic since earlier in the episode he was literally trying to scam his own daughter for money.

It's okay now though, he can hold his own. He gets paid in pills!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To me, the scene that sells Jerry is when he leaves the daycare and (rightly) flips out at all the weird alien poo poo. He can't handle it, his mind can't operate with enough flexibility for that stuff, all he knows is Beth and suburban life and failure.

E: VVV Exactly. Most people would be Jerry, but they want to imagine they'd be Rick (or at least Morty I guess).

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 5, 2017

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

WampaLord posted:

all he knows is [...] suburban life and failure.

in that sense he's very relatable

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This probably also explains the "plot hole" about why jerry got so many promotions and what his job was

Jerry never knew how to do his job and promotions get showered on idiots because you're paid in pills anyway. He was getting fast tracked to Scrooge McDucking in a swimming pool of pills, which is what the galactic brass wants in an executive.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just a heads up, it looks like this website has updated again: http://fedconnect.galacticfederation.com

I recommend reading through the whole thing, it gives a lot of good background information.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Honestly if some aliens came and took over the earth and offered me a cool futuristic uniform and gave me medals for going to work I'd probably be jazzed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This probably also explains the "plot hole" about why jerry got so many promotions and what his job was

That's not a plot hole, its just a joke about bureaucracy promoting yes-men.

Something that is unexplained isn't a plot hole. A plot hole has to be a direct contradiction of facts or obvious solutions.

Tom Gorman posted:

Jerry never knew how to do his job and promotions get showered on idiots because you're paid in pills anyway. He was getting fast tracked to Scrooge McDucking in a swimming pool of pills, which is what the galactic brass wants in an executive.

Bingo.

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah Jerry is basically cartoon EB Farnum. He's a scummy, self-absorbed shitheel. He simultaneously thinks everyone else is beneath him and that he's the only person whose problems matter. He's the least likable character on the show.

I agree. I like him only because of Parnell's voice. I'd be totally cool with him disappearing entirely from this season.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 5, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So that twitter feed or what ever seems to make it clear the federation is just blood farming the earth and is in fact pretty oppressive and awful.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not a plot hole, its just a joke about bureaucracy promoting yes-men.

Something that is unexplained isn't a plot hole. A plot hole has to be a direct contradiction of facts or obvious solutions.

I was joking because other goons had called it a plot hole and evidence that the episode was not the "real" episode and this was a simulation.
I was also jokingly implying the federation gave him a job licking ballsacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I was joking because other goons had called it a plot hole and evidence that the episode was not the "real" episode and this was a simulation.
I was also jokingly implying the federation gave him a job licking ballsacks.

Ah, well carry on :)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The episode that fully encapsulates Jerry is M. Night Shaym-Aliens! when he gets trapped in the simulation running at 5% and has the greatest day of his life.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Baronjutter posted:

So that twitter feed or what ever seems to make it clear the federation is just blood farming the earth and is in fact pretty oppressive and awful.

Yeah, those blurtfeed videos make it clear they are ruining peoples lives for shits and giggles. Like ripping their minds over multiple universes or making them eat their pets. Then recording it and showing it to the galaxy as a joke.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Covok posted:

Yeah, those blurtfeed videos make it clear they are ruining peoples lives for shits and giggles. Like ripping their minds over multiple universes or making them eat their pets. Then recording it and showing it to the galaxy as a joke.

Although that one lady they gave tentacle hair to seemed pretty happy!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Galactic economy collapses... steal pants.

http://i.imgur.com/FB2DXgp.mp4

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Say Nothing posted:

Well, DUH. You know the saying, "he who controls the pants etc.".

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Watching it back again, I figured the biggest hint that the memory was completely fabricated was the fact that it took place in 1998 and showed Beth as a toddler, which wouldn't line up with anything, along with the Breaking Bad house and the fact that they both died.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Watching it back again, I figured the biggest hint that the memory was completely fabricated was the fact that it took place in 1998 and showed Beth as a toddler, which wouldn't line up with anything

Maybe it lines up with the alien version of counting age if Summer is now 47 so it was all part of Rick's plan to lull the bugs into a false sense of security? Or he didn't give a poo poo about the small details and just wanted to taste that sauce again, I dunno.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Say Nothing posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of those spaceships was a gigantic dick-and-balls.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of those spaceships was a gigantic dick-and-balls.

Oh yeah, you don't see the closest one in full all at once, but you can see the ... flared base in the first shot and the shaft in the second shot.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I guess whatever it was isn't gonna happen now there's no auction, but I had an idea about what the other things that may or may not happen would be..

Basically looking at the way the show is with meta humor and stuff I thought that maybe McDonalds would bring back the sauce, but not as an endorsement of the new mulan movie or whatever, but as an endorsement of who ever won the auction, as though they had a movie or a popular show or whatever. There'd be commercials, happy meal toys of this poor confused rear end hole. the works. Get the Chuck Spencer meal! at participating restaurants, with the chuck spencer sauce and spencer mcnuggets! With Rick and Morty commenting over the top of the commercials like they were from a dimensional cable episode..sure there'd be a little rick and morty logo on everything somewhere but they would make it look so much like it was for Spencing it out! in cinema's this fall!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

QwertySanchez posted:

I guess whatever it was isn't gonna happen now there's no auction, but I had an idea about what the other things that may or may not happen would be..

Basically looking at the way the show is with meta humor and stuff I thought that maybe McDonalds would bring back the sauce, but not as an endorsement of the new mulan movie or whatever, but as an endorsement of who ever won the auction, as though they had a movie or a popular show or whatever. There'd be commercials, happy meal toys of this poor confused rear end hole. the works. Get the Chuck Spencer meal! at participating restaurants, with the chuck spencer sauce and spencer mcnuggets! With Rick and Morty commenting over the top of the commercials like they were from a dimensional cable episode..sure there'd be a little rick and morty logo on everything somewhere but they would make it look so much like it was for Spencing it out! in cinema's this fall!

What if Richard Spencer won the auction?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

prefect posted:

What if Richard Spencer won the auction?

Then he gets punched in the face. :colbert:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Never the incorrect answer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nerd/fan culture is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Watching it back again, I figured the biggest hint that the memory was completely fabricated was the fact that it took place in 1998 and showed Beth as a toddler, which wouldn't line up with anything, along with the Breaking Bad house and the fact that they both died.

It's memories, not time travel. McDonald's can be in 1998, the garage memory can be sometime else.