Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it was hell of transphobic how they kept making fun of Jerry for imagining what it would be like if he had a vagina

i think they were mocking the fact he was so defensive about an offhand comment about wanting to try out having a vagina (which everyone has prob mused about), subtle distinction but hey, why encourage nuanced humor when you can score carepoints on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Ein's a legitimate transphobic with multiple posts in his rapsheet pointing that out which makes the people like Buzkashi who unironically supported his clearly stupid facetious false opinion all the more moronic.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Artelier posted:

Can someone make a gif of Rick trying to grab the gun? So cute!

Great episode, fave this season so far.

This was the hardest laugh I've ever had watching this show. Best prop gag I've ever seen.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

Ein's a legitimate transphobic with multiple posts in his rapsheet pointing that out which makes the people like Buzkashi who unironically supported his clearly stupid facetious false opinion all the more moronic.

i wish using the phrase "virtue signaling" wouldn't make people think i was some magatard because it's a pretty valid descriptor of what's going on here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean maybe this is just me but I feel like the only people who really have any right/prerogative to discuss this are trans posters? Which I have a queasy feeling is not the case.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
do you also think only black people have the right to talk about racial issues?

just because I'm cis doesn't mean I can't care about injustice against trans people

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
RACE WAR!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

do you also think only black people have the right to talk about racial issues?

just because I'm cis doesn't mean I can't care about injustice against trans people

lol well like another poster said, based on your rap sheet it sounds an awful lot like you - specifically - should not be discussing these issues

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like saying Whirly Dirley.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but there's now a Songify This for our favorite character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyfCSWPFXx0

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There are a lot of vagina plants in this episode also lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When's the next remix song! That's my new tradition after each episode. I don't want that person to burn themselves out, but drat I can't help but listen to them in the car.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

When's the next remix song! That's my new tradition after each episode. I don't want that person to burn themselves out, but drat I can't help but listen to them in the car.

The Morty I Am Alive remix is my 2017 Summer Jam.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was mine until the Vindicators one.

"Welcome to your reckoning Baby!!!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Robot Morty's attempt to gain sentience is still the best thing of the new season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hey CP did you ever figure out the weird scheduling issues in your area? Was that a one off or is Colorado trying to kill Rick and Morty's ratings?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WampaLord posted:

Robot Morty's attempt to gain sentience is still the best thing of the new season.

Cosmic apotheosis has been my favorite part so far

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Motherfucker posted:

are they better or worse than the people so desperate to dunk on the sjws that they also don't realize he's a total shithead posting in bad faith

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

vermin posted:

"I have poo poo on my rear end"

Such a weird joke to throw into that montage

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

WampaLord posted:

That's just like... a legit good song. I love it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Glumslinger posted:

"I have poo poo on my rear end"

Such a weird joke to throw into that montage

It's no joke, you don't even know how many lifetimes of zen it takes to hit that level of consciousness.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

vermin posted:

the whole sequence made me think of The Jaunt

"Longer than you think, Rick! Longer than you think!"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

maskenfreiheit posted:

i think they were mocking the fact he was so defensive about an offhand comment about wanting to try out having a vagina (which everyone has prob mused about), subtle distinction but hey, why encourage nuanced humor when you can score carepoints on the internet

wtf is nuanced about a "ha ha, you want/have a vagina" joke

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but a lot of the visual references in that wormhole sequence were taken from the deprivation tank sequences from Altered States, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey CP did you ever figure out the weird scheduling issues in your area? Was that a one off or is Colorado trying to kill Rick and Morty's ratings?

Not sure, but it airs 12:30am here. It's really odd for such a popular show. I got my roommate really into it, but we can't watch it until the next day because he works early.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

WampaLord posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. It's super good.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Arguably the best episode since the premiere. A-plot worked out well, with Rick and Jerry unloading on one another but coming to a truce. B-plot worked out well with the usual weirdness. I guess you could argue that the wormhole stuff was out of left field and the ending was bit rushed (and still a bit status quo even though Jerry is apparently stronger from it.) But it was definitely enjoyable.

One thing that got me was the immortality field. I mean, come on. It's like the holodeck on Star Trek. Why isn't civilization based around this thing? Hell, why doesn't Rick have a personal version he's got activated at all times? He's got cybernetic pop gun implants, but not an immortality field?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hey maybe it has to murder someone for every life it saves.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

My Linux Rig posted:

That wasn't the joke.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Maybe it takes such a large energy supply you can't minimize it and only rich assholes get it for their resort?

Also realized this is the second time this season a family member tried to kill Rick.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 21, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

This episode was really low on the jokes (though customer support tricking Beth into releasing them was a good one), but I loved the character work. Definitely one of the "important" episodes.

The vagina jokes were transphobic and sexist and I really don't understand why goons are getting upset for mentioning it. The very punchline depended on the viewer believing that a man thinking about having a vagina makes him a lesser person. Personally I found it funny, and I know what kind of messages society has given both me and the writers that allowed the structure of the joke to work, but I can't pretend that it wasn't wrong.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

World Famous W posted:

Also realized this is the second time this season a family member tried to kill Rick.

He's not family anymore.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I felt like the joke was Jerry getting weirdly defensive about something completely normal and everyone capitalizing on that to make him uncomfortable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mulva posted:

He's not family anymore.
Close enough.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm not arguing that it's nuanced so it's not transphobic or whatever, but I took the joke differently. I thought it was "haha look at jerry struggle with being accused of wanting something he doesn't and becoming transphobic in the process of defending his point of view"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

World Famous W posted:

Maybe it takes such a large energy supply you can't minimize it and only rich douche bags get it for their resort?

And Jerry was such a worm about it. At least when Morty shot Rick, extremely stupid as that decision was, he had conviction. Jerry managed to piss off Rick AND the aliens he was helping to kill Rick AND whine about not being his fault as he gets eaten by a bug. That takes some real patheticism.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nobnob posted:

Given that we are talking about destroying or not destroying civilizations, worlds and probably dimensions in general, I wonder how many times you have to do it in order to sound legit when using the term "too many times".

Maybe these are all breadcrumbs for the return of Evil Morty.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I felt like the joke was Jerry getting weirdly defensive about something completely normal and everyone capitalizing on that to make him uncomfortable.

This is the way I took it as well, everyone's had that fantasy of living as the opposite sex for a day, as long as you could change back after. Right, everyone? Not just me?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rexides posted:

The vagina jokes were transphobic and sexist and I really don't understand why goons are getting upset for mentioning it. The very punchline depended on the viewer believing that a man thinking about having a vagina makes him a lesser person. Personally I found it funny, and I know what kind of messages society has given both me and the writers that allowed the structure of the joke to work, but I can't pretend that it wasn't wrong.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Phylodox posted:

ding ding ding

will not stop the woke outrage, however.