Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

it's gonna be like when they brought back surge and everyone realized it wasn't actually that good

Surge was awesome, and screw anyone who disagrees.

So was Coke II. Coke II got a bad rap. I could go on a Rick like rant about wanting to obtain more Coke II, if only I had access to alien mind prisons to have it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slightly Absurd posted:

I don't think it's really so much we need less Jerry, it's that the "Beth and Jerry might get divorced!" subplot has pretty much run its course. It's a theme in literally about half of all the episodes so far.
Really, allowing them to separate opens up a lot of new potential. You'd get things like: Jerry trying to be the "cool" parent [and obviously failing miserably.] Jerry/Beth trying to date new people. Maybe Morty is spending the weekend with Jerry, so Rick has to go on an adventure with Beth/Summer. Jerry trying dumb things to get Beth back, etc.

I still bet this Jerry fucks up and fucks up and either gets killed or goes totally unhinged, then we find out he's the wrong Jerry from Morty Night Run.

So that Jerry comes back and assumes he's still married..

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

i think the second season was way stronger and more consistent than the first to be honest. i really liked this episode and its definitely far too early to say if the quality has significantly diminished. most cartoons in my experience peak at their third season so we'll see.

This seems totally consistent with season 2 quality, which was really good quality.

I honestly love how there's already people acting like the 3rd season is going to be terrible based on......... uh.... a good pre-released episode?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tendales posted:

If it were the Breaking Bad house there would be a pizza on the roof, duh.

For some reason I could totally see Rick watching Breaking Bad and thinking Heisenberg is the only good character our Earth ever made.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's odd being that the show has a decent amount of continuity. I'd go as far to say that it has more continuity than any other comedy cartoon outside of South Park.

Archer's pretty continuity heavy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Interdimensional Cable 2 is basically unfiltered Roiland. And it's the best. It's a good litmus test for me to see who likes the show for the right reasons and who likes it for the wrong reasons.

I liked it but part 1 has that solid B plot that ends up tying the A plot up in a bow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avasculous posted:

Way back after Season 1, Harmon shared a story about having a major plot twist planned for Rick and Morty from the beginning and then ditching it in frustration because he saw fans guessing it exactly on Reddit.

I think he swore off doing stuff like that entirely, because he felt internet forums make it impossible to surprise people at this point.

My guess is that it it was some variation of Morty and Rick being the same person: Morty is a young Rick or a defective clone that failed to abort or something.

It is extremely odd how competent Morty has gotten. He's not even vaguely experienced anymore, he seems to know everything Rick knows except how to build poo poo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL at anyone thinking this joke was transphobic, the joke has nothing to do with a diminished view of women and projecting that into this episode speaks volumes about your own views.

But... but.. you have to be offended.. BY.. EVERYTHINNGGGGG. It's 2017.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

It seems like everything is either 100% good or 100% evil these days. :shrug:

You're either 100% with the world view of your chosen side or you are THE ENEMY. That is the way it works now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

maybe listen to the actual trans people when they tell you wheter something is transphobic or not

Except that means in today's climate the more extreme elements will make EVERRYYYYYYTHIINNNNNNNNNNNG "transphobic." Not sure if you've bothered looking around at all the bullshit lately but literally no matter what you do, the alt-left will call you alt-right or the alt-right will call you alt-left, and they will come in droves. Terms like "micro aggression" laughed around here are TAKEN SERIOUSLY by a lot of real world idiots, in particular in college.

It sucks but people have gotten too sensitive about every single issue, on every single side and act like the motherfucking world is going to explode if they hear something they don't like.

ED: Also perfect avatar with "TRIGGERED" for this post.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 22, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Lots of people ITT confusing "monologue" and "dialogue that takes longer than single, simple sentences to convey complex ideas."

Show don't tell is a great rule for most fiction, but in life sometimes people feel the need to express themselves verbally, even if what's going on seems painfully obvious to everyone (including themselves) because it is important to feel heard and to be heard. I think the characters venting is important because it adds weight to everyone's lovely behavior.

I don't know, all my friends and I were talking about this season so far and "Show don't tell" is something that came up.

It feels as if characters are practically turning to the camera and going "THIS IS HOW I AM FEELING. THIS IS HOW I AM DECONSTRUCTING YOU. THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS. REPLY." The show used to be able to communicate -so- much without saying a single word, sometimes literally. It was something special about Rick & Morty that has been lost.

I also don't understand why suddenly Morty is hyper-competent and the shreds of humanity Rick had are basically just undone.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

College has always been full of people who take things waaaaay too seriously. That's kind of what it's for.

(Also, there's no such thing as "alt-left". :))

Yes there is, just they don't call it that. I just rather avoid the whole SJW term because it's dumb. Wanting equality isn't wrong and I support that, but when people use that term you know precisely what they mean, the kind of internet mob-police who sweep in to heroically battle any minor offense that occurs to them with the fury of a thousand twitter followers or whatever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

HMMMMMM mayhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle

That used to be kind of a bullshit thing to say, but honestly things have gone to such ludicrous extremes lately, it's not really untrue anymore. To be honest the fringe left seems to have adapted the tactics of the fringe right just with different ideals. I hate censorship and I hate people who prefer twitter/blog lynch mobs over dialogue and frankly it's why nobody talks to the "other side" anymore.

It's getting way, way too faction-ish and if you can't see that happening I don't know what to tell you.

ED: I really do mean both sides. We've reached peak extremist insanity from all philosophies.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

Oh boy, now this thread gets to debate the merits of centrism!

For the record I'm not a centrist nor ever was one. Before the last few years and still I hold views probably both sides would take issues with because I don't pick a side, and all of those ideas aren't just in the middle. However if you don't fall into a preset category none of that matters to the people in that category - one disagreement and you're the "other guy." I'm less for truth in the middle, and more for "make up your own loving mind and stop just following these tumblr/twitter/facebook political katamaris."

But frankly people who were left in say, 2007, or right in 2007, are now centrist if they haven't changed their views because both the left and right aimed towards different cliffs and hit the accelerator.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

"You should gently caress off and die" vs. "Treat people with compassion" are totally equally compelling philosophies, yessir!

But that's not the point and if that's your view of the point, that's part of the problem.

My issue is both sides want to tell me how to live, and to be the nanny state. Sure I totally lean towards the left in that I believe people should have the freedom to do whatever and be whatever they want, 100%. But I start to take issue when the extreme elements on the left want to start imposing censorship and making media and communication fit their "moral views," no matter how right or wrong they are.

It really doesn't matter to me if I agree or disagree with those views, I draw the line at trying to impose them rather than endorse them, to make them censorship. So yeah, I've got problems with that end of the spectrum as much as I had problems with the Christian right trying to censor poo poo in the 80s. I don't like nanny states. I think words are words and unless you're screaming fire in a movie theater or lying to the cops or the like, you should never be breaking the law with them no matter how good or bad they might be. Because in my view, no matter how good or bad something actually is there will be people who feel the exact reverse about it and I never want those people to have the authority to say "That can't be said."

Honestly R&M did a pretty amusing brief gag on the basic issue with Morty telling Rick he can't say retarded and giving good reasons why, only for Rick to tell him that's retarded. Kind of sums it all up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
-- Odd it double posted ---

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

you probably have no issue with not calling women cunts or using the n-word, right?

Using the n-word is all context. I won't argue it's the most offensive word (possibly one of two to hold the distinction to me), but I think there's been many examples of media where it was used fittingly. It's literally the only word I'd handle with kid gloves.

As for calling women cunts, no, I think -everybody- should be called cunts. You can't have proper Cockney wearing without it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still enjoying this show but season 1 had me laughing out loud hard, season 2 also got some good laughs, season three has only gotten a few heh...'s out of me. Is the show less funny or have I just become a little more numb to what was pretty new feeling humour when it first came out?

Because the writers completely forgot Show Don't Tell, and have amped up the parts of the show the internet pushed the most.

Even the last episode, which was pretty good, had to have Rick standing there telling you in.. every.. detail.. the specifics of the morality of the situation. There's no trusting the audience anymore, no showing through action when they can just explain how they're feeling. Every single crazy adventure repeats the same themes of explaining to you why Rick is complicated or explaining to you why Morty needs a backbone, over and over again. In the past this stuff developed naturally, no explanation required because you saw it. The psychiatrist explaining how everything was to a T was a funny gag, but the whole show is that every episode now.

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of internet randos saying the show is bad and it's all women's fault but the writing still seems good, I think it's just that after 3 seasons we've all gotten used to the R&M schtick? They can't just do more of the same, there has to be some change and growth, and there is, and some people seem upset at that too. I think what some people want is to just watch season 1 again after a mind-wipe.

There was lots of character growth in season 2. Tons. It's just that it didn't need to be spelled out. If they filmed Mortynight Run this season I think it'd ended with Morty explaining exactly how he is feeling and Rick re-citing the same world view and them explaining the point of the episode rather than Morty looking mortified while Rick makes fart jokes at him.

Also there was this feeling in past seasons as hosed in the head and messed up as Rick was, he's almost always right about the universe, like when he refuses to go to a wedding and then does and gets screwed over by it. Now there's a lot of "We should talk about our feelings a whole lot and keep a very precise level dialogue," bullshit that Rick would have probably belched and said "Don't care" to in past seasons.

Of COURSE the internet blames women, but I blame the internet because if anything this season could be described as pandering. They tried to amp some aspects to 1,000 that should have stayed subtle.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It kind of bothers me that this entire season has been what's healthy or toxic

Again I wish they did just show this because right now all they seem to freaking do is talk about their toxic relationship. There's no nuance and every side adventure becomes about this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 28, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NutritiousSnack posted:

While it's nowhere near as dumb as blaming women, it's like blaming the internet is a scapegoat. The women writers work for and under the direction of two men who stumbled on a great idea, executed it well at first, but since last year are cracking under the pressure

Also stop doing the Nerd Sexist Outrage Hysteria, 90 percent of the people complaining aren't whinning about that, why give all five loving sexists the satisfaction of caring. The Doctor Who people were 100% in their reaction to it.

What the gently caress are you even talking about

My only point is the things people meme'd they took to 500% and it imbalanced the show

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been kind of down on the tell don't show aspect the show's had lately and was worried about it, but holy poo poo did it get back on the rails last night. Easily the best episode of the season and if the remaining episodes are even in that ballpark they'll totally redeem the season.

Last Chance posted:

The way I took it was that the Mortys use a weird crib thing to make Rick police officers think that something nonspecifically extremely hosed is going on with the decoy and.. that's it. It's supposed to be left to the Rick's imagination what horrors that supposedly abandoned Morty is going through.

Man there's so much to unpack in this episode. Look at the GET SHWIFTY graffiti on the left.

I've hated the way all the characters have been spelling out their feelings, thoughts, motivations, etc. this season and think it hurt the atmosphere of the show a lot..... but then this episode comes around and fixes it and then some. This is where I like the show best, when it's running on both a surface and background level with top tier dialogue.

Either way, the season hasn't been awful, just not up to standard.. until now. This was a 10/10 episode for me.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 13, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

So saw the preview for next week's episode Morty's Mindblowers

I wonder how many of those memories Morty had removed are of Rick blowing a load in his little hiney... I mean I think it's obvious from the dancy morty's club last ep that there a lot of, uh, :airquote:offscreen action:airquote: the network doesn't want to show

I wish you could buy someone an animated avatar just to have a shame nun ringing a bell above this post

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alopex posted:

A female Rick would probably be a Martha or a Charlotte or whatever, and presumably there's a council of Marthas somewhere out in the multiverse who don't hang out in the Rick Citadel because they are, by definition, not Ricks.

I so, so want them to just put in one gag making fun of Walking Dead's Rick, the only other major Rick I know on TV.

"He's dumb Rick, I could fix all his problems in an afternoon drunk" might actually be true there

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

How are goons this terrible at TV watching?

We literally had Rick say "do what you want" and then Beth looks at pictures of her kids and Jerry and says "okay"

She's gonna get back with Jerry guys. The divorce plot is over already. Its okay.

E: Holy poo poo 4 pages of goons talking about Beth being a clone what the gently caress

The read I got was that yeah, she'd be okay leaving them and that she almost certainly is a clone now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

Already posted but minus the screenshot which is trigerring the gently caress out of me.

There's gramatical errors, claims of being super intelligent, no SJW stuff but protecting their own version of SJW (incels)

I'm mad at a jpg thanks for that

If this post isn't 100% parody you may want to stay off the internet forever.

I don't mean the disagreeing with the alt-right idiot, I just mean you're loving mad at a jpg and triggered (misspelled)? I really can't tell if this is serious or masterful.

ED: Plus clearly anyone who watches the show would know Rick would call one group stupid and tell the other group he couldn't give less of a poo poo and tell both to gently caress off. I guess people will read whatever they want into things.

Nuebot posted:

If he ever shows up again I'd want it to be solely to be like as a beginning bit where he features in the preview or something. But then the episode airs and it's basically just Rick has a lovely problem on hand and he hits the box and just gets Meeseeks to fix it, cut to Meeseeks vanishing and the episode continues.

I'd rather it be an hilarious Deus Ex machina or something, myself. It'd be the best cameo.

You know, a "Holy poo poo! There's too many of them Rick!" horde or army approaching, then Rick saying he has an idea followed by frantic hammering on the Meseeks box just spawning an unkillable army that cannot die until it destroys the invaders or something. It'd work real well in a one-joke specific context I think, probably with a lot more layers to the joke than I'm capable of coming up with.

I just think there's potential in using it as a callback to fix a specific problem, rather than being a throwaway cutscene fan service intro. I'm sure there's at least a few jokes in how RICK would use the Meseeks box.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 26, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe I'm playing a little loose with the word sociopath, but I'm talking about stuff like murdering a bunch of people in a drunken blackout

While that may be the episode the creators like the least of all of them, Rick ending Justice League before it started would have made that movie immensely better.

"While you were putting together your little team I took care of the problem."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

lol this handwringing and even LoLer that someone got paid for this dumpster fire of a word salad

I think my friends and I must be in the minority when we think season 3 was the weakest season and the new writers are kind of weak and way too into tell over show, but not for any political of gender related reasons.

Honestly that article was pretty balanced and felt like a pretty accurate summary of things for the most part though.

ED: I mean to me there was way, way too much of characters sitting around talking about their feelings rather than just showing them, and the best episode of the season hands down was Tales from the Citadel, which might be one of the best episodes of the show period and a return to showing over telling. So that's just me. I know that opinion varies on all counts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's called implicit bias - you knew they were women writers so you perceived the season as worse, it's not a conscious decision

To be clear none of us knew or cared, just felt the writing was off and it started having a lot more 'two people sit opposite each other and directly tell you what they are feeling' moments, a lot. When I heard there were new writers I'll assume that's why but none of us think them being women has anything to do with it.

maskenfreiheit posted:

You mean the therapy episode? If anything I think many of the plot points came from people NOT being honest about their feelings (ex: Jerry's desire to dump his alien GF)

I thought that was a funny gag myself, but I mean after that. There's a lot of characters going "I AM FEELING THIS WAY. YOU ARE FEELING THAT WAY." that didn't used to happen.

Part of it comes from the fact that the absolute best moments in the entire show for me are the ones where they express everything without actually doing that: The most classic being Morty after burying his alternate self in the backyard. Not to say it wasn't persistent in many, many other episodes (Morty Night Run was a great one for that).

But Tales was full of that sort of stuff. There's tons of unspoken story there. I also loved the pilot and liked quite a few of the episodes so I'm still totally on board with season 4.

maskenfreiheit posted:

So you think this season had the best episode, but was the worst season? Interesting.

Yep, pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Not to say it's terrible. I mean this wasn't like the worst season of all time or some huge disaster, but it was a little too.. I don't know, on the nose in places. Even the worst episodes had several good laughs, so I'm hardly out with torches and pitchforks or declaring the show dead to me or anything.

But I definitely saw a difference in the writing before I realized there were new writers. I guess if I also hated women maybe I'd put two and two together and decide it was because they were women writers?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw some random episodes from all three seasons and all I can say is my opinion hasn't changed one bit. While Season 3 had some great episodes and nothing horrible, it's way.. WAY.. WAYYYYY talkier than before. It's way more "say don't show" than it ever was before.

If I have anything I loving hate more than anything it's:

CHARACTER A: I AM TELLING YOU HOW MY FEELINGS ARE
CHARACTER B: NOW I AM TELLING YOU ABOUT MY FEELINGS
CHARACTER A: THIS IS WHAT IS GOING ON THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT
CHARACTER B: WELL THIS IS WHAT IS GOING AND THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT

The best Rick & Morty, hands down bar none, just SHOWS how the characters are feeling. It's why Tales from the Citadel is still among the best episodes, tons of stuff conveyed unspoken.

It just feels like some hack writers that like to talk about feelings a lot joined this season or something and I have a feeling the show is going to start getting a dulled edge. There is a definite difference in tone I feel like has mostly been ignored.