Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Jove posted:

Re: Evil Morty, he's pretty hard to spot. A comment on the vid.me video says he's at -5:52; I had to watch from -6:30 to -5:30 to finally spot him.

As to why I think he's Evil Morty, well, what other Morty would be very surreptitiously and calmly hiding whilst the Ricks and Galactic Federation are having the mother of all brouhahas? Even Rick was high tailing it through that particular scene.

Basically, I think there's a lotta poo poo that's gonna pop up regarding Morty's increased independence and more jaundiced view of Rick and Evil Morty may come into play when that happens.

Man I still can't spot Evil Morty.

But I definitely think you're spot on. The show's creators seem to be trying very hard to not create continuity but they really have with the characters' development. Can't forget the purge episode when Morty just flips the gently caress out and Rick lies to assuage him afterwards as another example of a moment where we can clearly see Morty's character development.

Morty fulling intending to kill Rick--I can't recall if he's ever done that before--I feel is/will be like a defining character moment like Rick failing to commit suicide only out of his own drunkenness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I mean, I kinda did want a third round of that. If it ain't broke et al. It's not like the horror imposed by Rick or the apathy by Beth or the pathetic guilt trips from Jerry weren't well presented before. Certainly character arcs and growth are welcome but I'd rather that not be the focus of any given episode and I don't need it in monologue form. I like the season overall but the tone shift isn't really what I was looking for. If anything the juxtaposition of the really serious things happening with ricks lighthearted attitude was something I quite enjoyed and would have been happy to see more of.

Yeah, to me, a lot of the stuff people have been talking about with Rick being a toxic influence... Like, we were told that way back in Auto Erotic Assimilation. That's explicitly why Unity breaks up with Rick: he does what she does better. And hey, I'm the first to say I'm not the smartest or most observant person ever; it took me a while and couple of re-watches to actually understand Unity's break-up note (I still kinda didn't until Dr. Wong) and to start cataloging moments of character development. Because the first two season do have the light-hearted and then really serious bits that obfuscates it. You get the moments of Unity destroying a town and Rick momentarily freaking out before Unity says she evacuated the town, to which Rick starts laughing, but then goes "uh my grandkids weren't there right? a-are my grandkids alive? .... hey my drink is empty." But I enjoyed the discovery process of realizing all the stuff. I mean, Tiny Rick and Morty--Summer hadn't spent enough time with Rick to not care that he was suffering like Morty. And from A Rickle in Time, the season 3 Morty probably could've gotten time back fixed once all of him knocked all the Ricks out and all the Summers peed her pants, instead of just scratching his head and saying "I think I'm certain we're F'd in the A." That kind of in-retrospect stuff.

But I don't think it's necessarily bad thing to have some characterizations outright summarized in dialogue form. To me, they've been more "in case you haven't picked up on it yet..." than anything else. There's still moments of light-hearted and dark, I just think Rick has fully realized/accepted he's actively damaging the family and the consequent spiraling out of control is gonna need to be addressed, which they are currently doing.

Like, honestly, at the end of season 2, I really do think Rick turned himself in because of Jerry and the rest of the family's responses--he couldn't escape the effects he has on others just like he couldn't with Unity's note. I don't fully buy he intended get caught simply to destroy both the federation and council of ricks, since he could have 'gotten caught' like... any time. Instead he chose to do it at the time he did. Not that he couldn't have had those two intentions, but I've enjoyed the Rick-sometimes/secretly-cares bits that tend to correspond with the contrasting lighthearted and dark. Like in the Summer-hostage situation in the season opener, he calls her "sweetie" while doing the 'i don't care' thing (which iirc he's only ever called Beth) and gets the situation escalating to stress-rage Morty into shooting him with the fake gun. Which he gave to Morty either expecting enough of Morty to be in a cognitive state where he could see that note about it being fake, or to mollify Morty afterwards like he did in Who's Purging Now with the candybar. So he either demonstrates a higher regard for Morty's cognitive ability than he's repeatedly stated, or he cares about his grandson's feelings. He could have, after all, put nothing on the gun; but doing so allows Morty to get 'praise' for being on the uptake and/or kinda post-hoc absolve him of some of the guilt ("now we're both accountable"). It's the stuff like that I enjoy trying to puzzle over, so this season so far has still been just fine for me.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Eiba posted:

Right, but that's the implication, not what he literally says.

Some people seem to think he's talking about some sort of legitimately unhealthy obsession. And he's not. He just says "irrational". That doesn't mean or even imply "unhealthy," no matter what Rick clearly thinks about it.

Detox Rick is at best polite. He apologizes for putting his family in danger, as if he had committed some sort of social faux pas, and then is entirely neutral about the idea of doing anything further to stop his alternate self from destroying the world (and incidentally his family). He considers the fate of the world to be an "irrational attachment" too.

I have no idea how someone could watch that episode and think, "Yep, Rick was right about what's toxic," when the whole point for both Rick and Morty was that toxicity is subjective and their definitions reveal further hosed up things about themselves.

Yeah, this. I mean, at the risks of retreading the very tired "wah they're explaining more" sentiments, Pickle Rick even says it:

"Oh, well, she knows, I mean, we don't really buy into that kind of crap. To the extent that love is an expression of familiarity over time, my access to infinite timelines precludes the necessity of attachment. In fact--I even abandoned one of my infinite daughters in an alternate version of Earth that was taken over by mutants."

Perhaps ironically, or just coincidentally, I guess, H-Rick says that if he ever gave T-Rick the wheel, "we'd be dead in five minutes," but T-Rick has actually failed to kill them--himself, whatever, I don't know--at least twice I can think of: first by being too intoxicated to kill himself properly, and second when his grandiosity causes him to not 'be okay with' sacrificing himself for Morty, which I am taking to be the T-Rick side more than the H-Rick 'self-preservation' side, because while trying to fix Morty's broken collar he references god a lot, which T-Rick seems to exclusively do.

also, incidentally, that 'irrational attachment' causes Rick to demonstrate a better instance of parenting than Beth does or Jerry would. When Summer walks in crying after being dumped by Mr. Needful, he reacts sympathetically and then succeeds in making her feel better. By getting swole with her and beating the piss out of Mr. Needful, granted, but hey, also some bullies and nazis, so it's cool.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I can’t quite recall or search well enough to find it, but I remember an anecdote where Isaac Asimov enjoyed Tolkien’s metaphor for technology (or something) in his books, which prompted Tolkien to actually respond and say something to the effect of ‘uhhh no I had no deeper meaning in my fantasy novel(s).’ Isaac Asimov, to my recollection, replied like ‘nonetheless, you have still written a book about technology.’

When I think death of the author I think about that probably-apocryphal story. ...That story which, one hopes, has some kernel of truth in it and is not just my brain making stuff up, which brains are liable to do.