Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CelticPredator posted:

Seriously right up there with Invader Zim for me as far as best cartoon to ever exist.

Pretty stoked for new Zim, too. Honestly for as much is sucking about this year, it's turning out pretty okay for video games and cartoons. I'm glad I'm a manchild, and get to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

What the gently caress? They're both humans with cyborg implants, neither are robots.

This. Why would you think they were robots?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

He doesn't respect them.

:golfclap:

Sometimes this thread isn't terrible.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'm a huge dork who reads too much into things, but did anyone else notice that during the VR game's "This is canon!" Morty becoming a vegan rant, he says that we'll see the effects in season 4, suggesting that the game takes place between seasons 3 and 4, but yet we see that Jerry is living in the house, which may indicate an event that occurs somewhere in season 3 (Jerry moving back in)?

100% guaranteed that I'm an idiot who is paying too close attention to a silly fourth-wall break, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

XYZ posted:

RIP the following:

-The Rick and Morty that died in Rick Potion #9
-Krombopulos Michael
-Bird Person
-Hammer Morty
-Beth and Jerry's marriage

Bird Person lives!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

We also still don't know if C-137 is the universe the show started in (and got Cronenburg'd), or if it is the one they are currently in, who's original Rick and Morty are dead.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

baby delivery truck posted:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2861424/episodes/?season=3
IMDb says episode 2 is tonight, anyone believe it?

No? We would have known prior to this if it was. The first episode was an exception since it was part of an april fool's "joke."

When the season premiers, I'd expect they'll start with the first episode again anyway.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

It's good as a non-sequitur, but it isn't very much of an ad.

I mean, I guess it worked because I did not know there was another Aliens movie coming out, and now I do, but aside from that specific bit of information I know nothing about the product. It doesn't make me want to watch it, either, it just makes me want to watch more Rick and Morty.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Would you rather watch a typical movie trailer that spoils every aspect of the plot?

Its an aliens movie, that's really all you need to know. If you don't care, you don't care. If you care, you care.

Well I'd at least like to know what the tone of the movie is supposed to be, given that that has varied wildly throughout the series. I assume it isn't supposed to be a comedy.

The ad itself is fantastic, I just mean that it works more as a piece of short form entertainment than as an advertisement.

And like I said, I guess I'm just wrong about that, too, because I didn't even know about the movie before and now I'm curious about several aspects of it, sooooo..... I guess I'll shut up now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Zinjnok posted:

It's possible that more than one Rick has taken improv classes.

It seems pretty likely that if one has, many or most have.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Zim did some insane CG work back in the day. Those space battles were some rad poo poo.

They talk in the commentary a lot about how they blew entire seasons' worth of budget on short CG segments for little to no reason and I always found that pretty funny.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

I can't figure out the rules for when they can and can't say "poo poo."

Originally, and for a long time, you could never say poo poo.

Then, for a short while, you could say it only as an interjection. You could say "Oh, poo poo!" or "That's lovely," but not "I took a poo poo" or "go eat poo poo," because the latter was using the word to refer to feces which is, somehow, considered more offensive.

But now you can just say poo poo whenever you feel like, I guess. I don't think they've censored it since Interdimensional Cable 1, which was the first time I noticed the uncensored use of it on the show. I don't watch very much live TV anymore so I don't know how it goes on other shows or networks.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

"Rick and Morty returns in 2 weeks!"

This poo poo again? Is this commonplace? I don't usually watch shows as they air, but this was super frustrating last season. Maybe its normal and I'm just dumb.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I mean if that's a common thing, then whatever I guess. I don't understand the logic behind it, though. Wouldn't they get more viewers that night than most, anyway?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

The uncensored version on iTunes still has pixelated dicks and I actually rode Dan Harmon an angry tweet about it.

I want my money back

The season 2 blu-ray also didn't have uncensored dicks, and the commentary they talk a bit about it. I don't recall the whole thing but basically they asked themselves internally "should we show the dicks in the uncensored version?" and the answer they ultimately reached was "nah."

They did confirm that the dicks were fully drawn and animated, though. No "an uncensored version doesn't exist, it was always just a blur" bullshit. Maybe someday the dickfull version will surface.

Not sure why I am excited at the prospect of maybe seeing an old man's dangling tackle and wrinkly ballsack at some point in the future, but that's what this show does to people, I guess.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

If Rick and Morty got mermaid puss, that means they went to a universe that had the fish part on top.

Or they were Disney mermaids that grew legs while on land.

Or they just put their dicks into some fish vaginas .

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

But the rick and morty of the show are both c-137, unless that's a lie. Which it could be.

I always thought Morty just heard Rick identify himself that way and just sort of picked it up. Morty probably is just assuming that he is C-137 Morty, when all we really know is that Rick Prime is C-137 Rick. Dimension C-137 is presumably the one that was Cronenburged, but it could also be another one altogether taht we've never seen.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really know what that is, but both interpretations of the license plate reach the same conclusion, Saturn V.

It's a visual gag in a Simpsons episode. The sign says "Sneed's Seed and Feed (Formerly Chuck's)".

The obvious joke is that the place used to be called Chuck's Suck and gently caress, but for some reason people like to argue about this as though there could be any other interpretation of that punchline... possibly because it's an unusually "mature" joke for the series.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

weird, i think they're all gifv's so it shouldnt do that to you still.

Definitely does for me, and I'm using firefox. Crashes the whole browser if I don't realize and stop it from loading fast enough.

Works fine on mobile, since gif playback is turned off anyway.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Everyone always forgets that meseeks and destroy is the one where Morty almost gets raped. That makes it a potential hard sell for someone not already into the show. Or a filter for people who can't handle the darker themes, I guess.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

prefect posted:

He didn't get raped, though. :confused:

Meant to say almost, caught me before the edit. Still, I doubt anyone is going to be 100% down with almost raped if they were not going to be okay with actually raped, either.

EDIT: NOT trying to start a debate about what is and isn't okay to do in a cartoon or whatever. I love that episode. Just saying it might be a harsh intro because of that scene.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

JBP posted:

I like watching this show but loving Christ I hate everyone else that enjoys watching the show.

InvaderZim.txt

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

JTHM is great when you're 15. If someone claims they still love it, chances are they haven't re-read it. Like it's fine for what it is, a teen angsty gently caress the world, with a comedic edge to it...but it don't hold up if you're over the age of at least 22.

I still like the story that JTHM ended up telling in the last few issues. I haven't re-read it recently, but I feel like everything after Johnny dies is probably still tolerable, if maybe not as funny. The early stuff, where it was just a comic about a guy who killed people in grotesque ways for no reason, almost certainly doesn't. I also feel like Squee might hold up a bit better, but I'm probably wrong. I wish I'd seen some of the early Roiland stuff around the time I was into Vasquez because I can't stand most of it now.

On a related note, did anyone else think for a minute there that were were going to see a mister sprinkles cameo?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Guys, guys. Stop all this pointless blathering. You heard the admin, he said that "only intellectual posts is tolerated."

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Just in case anyone here was worried that people in this thread are insane and too busy reading in to every aspect of the show, rest assured we are tame by comparison to the rest of the internet.

An article just showed up in my phone's recommended links thing that declares a "secret" season finale episode of rick and morty is on the way in december, because Mr Poopybutthole says "the next time you see me I'll have a big white beard," and also Santa Claus has a big white beard, so obviously there's a Christmas episode coming, and obviously because Adult Swim aired an episode early as an april fool's prank it follows that they would air one late as a christmas... prank?

People are dumb, basically.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Do I even want to ask about the Bronie cumjar...?

God Jesus no.

I'm usually down for some weird gross internet poo poo and I'd happily post you up some goatse or tubgirl or whatever but this poo poo is amazing in its ability to horrify. The pony poo poo being involved isn't even the problem (it does make it a bit worse), it's just disgusting. One of the only internet shock image type things that actually gets under my skin.

You do not want to know this horror.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Don't waste your time. I went to the closest listed location to me and they said they didn't get any at all, and that even though like 20 locations were listed in my state, they said only ONE of those locations got any sauce. The restraunt was packed and apparently everyone was there looking for sauce. I didn't know whether to be frustrated because the website essentially was lying, or just feel sorry for the people working there.

What kind of idiot greenlights a promotion where an extremely in demand product is available at one store per state in the first place? I guess McDonald's is going thr Nintendo route with this one.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Those chicken tenders are bad, btw. I had some a week or so ago. Not sure how you gently caress up chicken tenders, but they did it. The breading, maybe? I dunno.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

McNuggets suck too

This, although its apparently an unpopular opinion.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Probably because any attempt at portraying trump, even neutrally, is gonna come across as satirical. Imagine Trump having a tanturm about not wanting to take a selfie, it would just be too realistic

I don't think the president in Rick and Morty is supposed to be Obama. It's just "generic president" and they decided to make him Keith David because that guy rules. I doubt his skin color even came up and they would have made him match whoever did the voice if Keith had turned the role down.

Hell, his name on the show is literally just "Mr. President." This isn't a show that would shy away from calling him Obama if that's who they were trying to portray.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'll bet someone at McDonald's corporate is doing a real "I-told-you-so" dance right now. Wonder if this will lead to a larger scale roll out, since someone clearly underestimated demand.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

lol at the people trying to shame others for wanting to try the sauce. Have you never heard of novelty? I went to get some sauce for the same reason you might go see a movie in 3D instead of standard, or go have dinner at medieval times, or whatever. It's a sauce that's been hyped up for months and had a limited window to try (albeit much more limited than advertised). Obviously a McDonald's sauce isn't going to be mindblowing, or probably even good, but it has that novelty factor to it.

People bought loving swedish fish flavored oreos, of course they're going to buy rick and morty meme sauce.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Did you wait out overnight? How was it?

What? No, I went at noon and got told they didn't have any. Then I went back to work and ordered Jimmy Johns. That was pretty good. Not enough mustard, though. Thanks for your interest.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Im old enough to remember actually eating mulan sauce when it came out originally

I also remember eating this sauce as a child. I don't actually remember what it tasted like, or if I liked it, but I remember the promotion well becauase it was one of the first instances I can remember of being wrong about something for a long time and feeling like a loving idiot when I discovered the truth.

I was 8 or 9 at the time, and around when the promotion started, our local mcdonald's changed their drive-through signage to include a logo that's still being used: the one with the golden arches and a... skateboard? Or roller skates? Or whatever it is underneath it, with speed lines coming off the back. When I saw this, for some reason I made the assumption that this logo was a tie-in with the Mulan promotion and an attempt to make the McDonald's logo look like a chinese character. To me, chinese text just looked like lines and circles and junk anyway, so this made sense. The promotion ended, and the location never took the sign with that logo down, and I just assumed the people who worked there were lazy or something. Then we moved, several times, and no matter where we went I kept noticing the logo pop up all over the place and thinking about how weird it is that all these stores never took down their loving mulan logos. Once, when I was like 11 or 12, I think I even told someone at the drive thru window that they had forgotten to take down the mulan sign, and they gave me a weird look. In retrospect, the guy I told that to certainly didn't even know there had ever been a mulan promotion.

It wasn't until an embarassing amount of time later - like when I was a teenager - that I realized what the logo was supposed to be. I think it was around the time I decided that the idea of turning the McDonald's logo into a chinese character was sort of weirdly racist, and upon considering that along with the large number of restraunts that "forgot" to take the signage down for six or seven years.

So because of this weird incorrect belief I held about that logo, I spent a lot of time recalling that mulan promotion over the years, and still think about it sometimes when I see the logo.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Maybe the whole thing was actually genius; make only enough sauce to technically be able to say you gave some out, piss off hundreds of nerds, then a month later say "Okay, fine, have your stupid sauce," put out actual quantities, and now they get all those same nerds back plus all the normal folk who end up reading about the angry crowds the first time and figure the sauce must be something special.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

McDragon posted:

"So you're mining stuff to craft with and crafting stuff to mine with? Did your dad write this game?"

Is this game popular with autistic people? 'Cause I'm starting to like it!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If it's exactly the same as chick fil a polynesian sauce, I'll be slightly annoyed.

Meanwhile if it's exactly the same as chic fil a's "chic fil a" sauce, then it will be exactly as good as portrayed in the show.

... but also bafflingly themed considering that sauce is honey mustard mixed with BBQ.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'm pretty sure the only reason McDonald's didn't release the sauce as part of an actual official Rick and Morty tie-in is because Rick and Morty is an explicitly adult brand, andwhile McDonald's has plenty of adult customers to market to, they have chosen for many years to market to children almost exclusively. They can't make Mr. Meseeks happy meal toys because then a kid might go watch that episode of the show and see lots of cursing and drinking and an attempted rape. Someone involved in this promotion probably really anted it to be an official RnM tie-in, but it just wouldn't be healthy for the brand to do it that way. By doing it the way they did, they get to wink and nudge at the Rick and Morty fanbase while not actually exposing children to it.

It's kinda lovely that that means the show's creators get cut out of it, but considering how the promotion went, if I were them I'd be really glad that they didn't get permission to use my IP, because now of course I get to say "I had nothing to do with this" without lying.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I have no doubt that grade school kids love Rick and Morty. It has violence, cursing, aliens, farts and poop jokes. Those are like every kids favorite things.

Sure.

But just like high schoolers who love to drink and smoke, you can't really advertise to them. Well, I mean, it would be legal in a way that those examples aren't, but you catch my meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Separate the art from the artist and you'll be much happier.

This.

Let us never forget the Shadow Complex thread.