Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He should move in with Mr. Poopy Butthole. I mean, Beth hurt him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It would be really interesting to see Beth's reaction to the fact that not only is her real father dead, this iteration of Rick bailed on (presumably) his Beth and left her to a world of monsters.

I think the realization of that could drive her back to Jerry.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Watching it back again, I figured the biggest hint that the memory was completely fabricated was the fact that it took place in 1998 and showed Beth as a toddler, which wouldn't line up with anything, along with the Breaking Bad house and the fact that they both died.

It's memories, not time travel. McDonald's can be in 1998, the garage memory can be sometime else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TFRazorsaw posted:

The alien agent said the thing in the garage happened somewhere between 9/11 and Rick's favorite sports blooper.

So the fake memory was set even LATER than 1998, and thus even more impossible.

The memory with Beth was PHYSICALLY in between 9/11 and the sports blooper when they were looking out the window.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TFRazorsaw posted:

Given how left>right progression is pretty ingrained in western culture, I would assume the implication was a given.

But really the biggest shocker is that Rick likes sports and cared about 9/11.

You are reading way way too much into this.

Artist wanted them standing in front of a portal as a central focal point for the shot and they needed two throwaway things to book end it on either side.

Rick and Morty isn't a puzzle box, it never has been.

Not to mention what they were looking out of the window wasn't even the garage memory anyways because that shot didn't happen in the garage memory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well I know that. I'm just saying that the implied implausible time scale of it supposedly happening after 9/11 when Beth is clearly at least in her 40's was even more hinting that the memory is impossibly bogus. The fact that shot never happens at all is even more of an indicator.

Of course, I'm seeing a lot of people who WANT Rick's clichely tragic backstory to be real.

Let me really blow your mind.

Since they never left the Shoney's, the McDonald's memory was fabricated too.

We never saw Rick eating the sauce, he must have fed the other guy poo poo!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I also doubt all the Ricks were at the citadel at the time, only the ones that run it and the council along with those that might have been passing through at the time.

So, he basically decapitated the council and probably pushed thousands if not millions of Ricks to act independently for the first time in awhile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not a perfect analog but:

Parallel universes - Uncountable Infinite Set
Ricks - Countable Infinite Set
Finite Central Curve - Ricks the council has made contact with

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rick's goal was only to gain level nine access and rescue Summer and Morty.

Destroying the citadel was just the most expedient means.

Had Morty and Summer stayed on earth. Rick would have gotten his access, tanked the government, and gone home.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got a Rift or Vive? The Rick and Morty VR game comes out today.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/20/rick-and-morty-vr-virtual-rickality/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, so Virtual Rickality is amazing. It's very surreal standing in the garage with a Rick looking disapprovingly down on you while a MORTY taunts you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The touch controllers for the rift are so worth it. Completely changes the device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My educated guess at this point is we are going to see new episodes on June 11th. Adult Swim is currently running Rick and Morty in back to back slots on Sundays. They just started season 2 last night which would put the last episode of Season 2 on June 4th. They might bill June 4th as the premier and put the the episode we've seen on then with new episodes the following week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Presented without comment.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/rick-and-morty-lead-got-super-drunk-for-season-3-taping-1794996073

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I hope all the 'in universe' commercials they've been running on [as] end up on the blu-ray as special features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GxvojGjm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz6dBdDOlqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-_vNoGTOg

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 13, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, Rick and Morty never goes for an overlong joke.

(ignores 100 years Rick and Morty, ignores dipping sauce Rick and Morty, ignores getting your poo poo together, ignores you can run but you can't hide bitch....)

It's inevitable. The show hit season three. It's time to play TV IV Season three bingo with squares like "Family Guy humor", "characters are caricatures of what they were", "lazy writing", and "fan pandering."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My favorite part of the episode was the horrific realization that set in on the Vindicators when they realized Rick took out their arch nemesis while blackout drunk purely so he could do a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, the last episode had Rick turn himself into a Pickle. You don't get much more stupid than that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Milky Moor posted:

Could be.

I may not be remembering S1 and S2 correctly, but Rick never felt like he was motivated by maliciousness. When things went bad, it was because he was apathetic or didn't care or made a slight error. But this episode was basically Rick showing a very different side and all because he got drunk and jealous and then it's just kind of over with a party and there's no catharsis.

Like, okay, it's not ending the world, but it's still probably the most horrific thing he's done because of how petty and cruel it was to everyone involved, even himself.

The very first episode that ever existed had the first 3 minutes dedicated to a drunk Rick who was going to blow up the world with a neutrino bomb for absolutely no reason.

The next episode had him gently caress with someone's mind simply to get Morty out of trouble at school so he could keep going on adventures.

It goes on and on. You cross Rick in even the smallest ways, even if you aren't even aware you did, he absolutely has been malicious.

He's not a villain, but he shouldn't be your hero either. He's like a demon, or a super hosed-up god.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

He took out the galactic federation in one dimension.

So, he's safe at "home" right now. They presumably still exist in other dimensions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Literally Kermit posted:

The ironman guy was more of a Star Lord rip-off, and I took his attempt to leave as not putting up with Rick's death traps, and forgetting said deathtrap was set up by (a drunk) Rick.

He literally was having a panic attack. He absolutely was being shown at someone who's self confidence was just an act put on for others. He literally fell to pieces (due to deathtrap) once he wasn't in control of the situation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think after 24 hours you can just watch them, at least for the week. I definitely episode 2 the day after it aired on there without a cable login.

They explicitly said on the bump before this episode that they will not be providing it free anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tormented posted:

I don't think Rick got blackout drunk this time i.e he remembered where he left his portal gun.

I don't know what gave you that impression. The viewer was shown where he left the gun. There's nothing to indicate that was a memory.

I swear theory crafting short circuits the parts of people's brain that remembers normal story telling conventions.

The ride accepted Morty because he was so completely shitfaced at that point he was doing lovely work.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 15, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Except for, you know, the fact that we had the creator of the show wishing he left in a line about Rick knowing Noon Noob's weight.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We Know Catheters posted:

Why did goons always have trouble hearing (paying attention) things?

Because they are too busy crafting theories to actually watch the content.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The language in the whole episode was oddly censored. It's almost as if they showed the wrong cut.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

How did Risotto Groupon know to get on that ship?

I'm assuming everyone was fleeing the busted up resort.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I like how they made fun of everyone for wondering what happened to the citadel at the beginning of the episode.

I'm only like 20% that this will actually develop into anything for our Rick and Morty, at least not this season. It just seemed like this was a window into that world.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Notice, he said the best citadel in the multiverse, not the best citadel of Ricks. I mean, there could be more than one given the infinite nature, but let's not read too much into a throwaway line.

What gets me the most about the citadel is that it can't have existed very long, not in its current form with Mortys anyways.

I mean, Morty is 14. We don't know how long Rick has been dragging around other Mortys, but I doubt it has been more than 5 years or so because a Morty that is too young would be even less useful and more of a hindrance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Rick's got a ton of enemies waiting in the wings this season. Tammy and Phoenixperson, Supernova, the new Citadel. I think it's leading up to something.

Yup, *bruup*.

It's leading to a really awesome night out at the bar!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Our main character's reality seems like the obvious choice now since there's no Galactic Federation anymore in that reality and the Galactic Federation lacks inter-dimensional travel.

What's really funny about the season opener in retrospect is that Rick really didn't care about taking down the citadel, it was just the easiest way to take down the Galactic Federation and he didn't view the citadel as having any value so nothing was really lost in the process.

The thing that makes it even funnier is that the citadel obviously recognizes that what he did wasn't out of malice and makes total sense (I mean, they are still Ricks after all), which is why they aren't coming after him now for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Slime posted:

It might be able to move between them, since I feel that if the Citadel was permanently in the same one as the galactic federation, that particular instance of the galactic federation wouldn't have existed anymore.

There's a Galactic Federation in likely most realities where there are Ricks. They lack inter-dimensional travel (barring the pilot, but that can probably be thrown out) so if the Galactic Federation only existed in one reality, they wouldn't be much of a threat.

The Ricks came together to form the citadel because of their collective galactic federation threats across all their realities. In some of those realities, the Rick was a lone wolf and fought along Bird Person and Squanchy on Blood Ridge against that reality's galactic federation.

Never forget that the Bird Person and Squanchy in Wedding Squanchers wasn't the same one he fought with when he was younger, that was a different reality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The pilot was made months (if not a year) before everything else and I doubt they had all the ground rules in place yet. I'm just going to toss out the multidimensional airport as being a pilot anomaly since everything else points to them not having dimensional travel since then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

OR EVEN HIS RICK.

Or himself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rassle posted:

This license plate thing is going to become the Rick and Morty version of Sneed's Feed and Seed isn't it?

No, because we have the person that wrote the joke posting is this very thread so full intent can be known.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TenCentFang posted:

He shoulda had Morty outside to run in and yell "my grandpa's having a heart attack!"

Well, we all know that boy ain't right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something Ricked this Way Comes has a lukewarm b plot with Pluto, but is gold otherwise. You have the butter robot, the devil, and Rick being very Rick.

"This was just a bit, like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the opera singer."

"Alright, I'm bored, everyone out."