Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Covok posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh dear God, this is too rich. If there likely wasn't common law making this reversible in civil court, I might pull the same poo poo on a bunch of hapless, rapid, R&M fans. Maybe not 97K, though. Selling it for $100 would probably sell.

Edit: On topic, anyone found it weird how Beth said Jerry was going to be leaving. Sounded strangely cryptic. Might just be me.

There is approximately a 0% chance any bids over $30 are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My view is that Beth and Jerry's marriage wasn't happy before Rick showed up, but his presence was what caused it to flame out completely.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It was touched on a bit earlier, but one of the subtle things about Jerry's character is that, like everyone else, Rick brings out the worst in him. It's doubtful that Jerry was ever actually a good person or a great father, but if nothing else he had a steady job and a far more stable family situation. Then, when Rick came along, he destroyed Jerry's self-confidence, through his constant belittlement of Jerry and his effective replacement of Jerry as the head of the household.

We've seen Jerry living in a world without Rick, and he's successful-either as an actor in Rixty Minutes, or as a survivor in the Cronenberg world. With Rick's destruction of Jerry's self-confidence, however, I have the feeling Jerry falls into a bit of a feedback loop-he's desperate for self-validation, he overcompensates in seeking that validation which makes him look even more pathetic, which weakens his self-confidence even more and makes him seek further validation. And, arguably, it's possible it's the reason why he can't get another job after he gets fired-sales and marketing is all about self-confidence, and without it he's basically an even more pathetic Gil from the Simpsons, and who would hire that guy?

When Season 3 kicks off again, I don't think it's unlikely that Jerry could feature as a secondary character, either rising in the post-Federation Earth government or as a member of whatever Anti-Rick forces they seemed to be putting together. Without Rick, and with a purpose in front of him, we could see an entirely new Jerry-one who's far more self-confident and filled with a sense of purpose, as opposed to the pathetic worm that he was under Rick.

Or he could never show up again, or somehow become even more pathetic in Rick's absence. Honestly, with the way the show's gone so far I'd give equal chances to all three.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Skellybones posted:

I don't if movie Jerry was a success. He was in Cloud Atlas and wrote that awful cat movie series.

Well, more of a success.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4sXhxAP0U

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

rydiafan posted:

I Googled "cartoon red hair horns flame above head" and got the answer: http://starvstheforcesofevil.wikia.com/wiki

I recognize the name of the show. It's one of those Stephen Universe kinda things, but for some reason Goons haven't latched onto it quite as hard yet.

There is a thread for it that I made but it's pretty slow since it's on hiatus. It is a good show, though-it starts off somewhat rough and uneven, but by the last half of the second season the quality becomes a lot more solid and consistent.

Edit: It also shares a similar premise of "Two people going on adventures through interdimensional portals and running from their problems," though significantly less alcoholism and existential depression is involved.

CelticPredator posted:

That poo poo looks gorgeous animated.

Seriously, the animation this season is absolutely phenomenal. The hiatus was rough, but it's pretty clear it was worth the wait.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Was that green rock at 1:06 the same green rock they got from Mad Max dimension?

Looks like it, and he was sticking it in the universe box from the Colbert guest episode. They're definitely leaning harder on continuity this season, which could lead some interesting places.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 3, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Last Chance posted:

There is no way in hell I'm watching that video

:same:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kazinsal posted:

I think we can all at least agree that Beyond Thunderdome is the weakest of the Mad Max films.

True, though to be fair it was also arguably the most iconic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Part of the reason why Beyond Thunderdome was a bit of a mess was because producer Byron Mitchell died early into the production. He'd worked on both previous Mad Max films and was a close friend of director George Miller, and the production as a whole somewhat fell apart because of his death and the effect it had on Miller.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I love hearing about behind-the-scenes stuff. Great work man, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the season!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Baronjutter posted:

I've been to some offices where lots of people bring dogs but all the dogs are good chill dogs. Sucks that a lot of people had apparently lovely dogs that probably aren't suited to hang out at an office full of other dogs and stranger humans with BAGS.

Yeah, I love dogs, but that sounds like a less than ideal working environment. Hope for your sake Typical that they crack down on that somewhat (while letting all the chill dogs stay)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Well this is a thing alright

https://twitter.com/Hippy/status/893686779987021824

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Counterpoint: holy poo poo that episode was incredible.

Really have to wonder though where Rick and Beth's relationship is gonna lead. They're clearly building towards something, and whatever it is it's not gonna end well.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Dr. Wong tore down Ricks life so thoroughly and brutally that was was worried he was going to kill her.

Yeah seriously, I'm honestly surprised that wasn't how it ended.

Also, one thing that I thought was interesting that the episode highlighted was just how sad the situation is for Summer and Morty. They're so desperate for positive emotional attachment that they liked going to the therapist, and Beth doesn't care because the only thing she cares about is Rick.

I hope they're both able to get more therapy somehow because they desperately need it. :smith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ashpanash posted:

:rolleyes: at 'Jessica Gao's obvious self-insert' as if the entire monologue didn't reek of Dan Harmon. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that MRA idiots have no idea how television writing works.

Seriously. I mean, I'm sure as hell no expert, but it doesn't take a lot of knowledge to realize that television writing is an intensely collaborative process. There are exceptions, but suggesting that Dr. Wong's character and her speech towards Rick was the result of a single writer creating a self-insert without any input or approval from the other writers, the episode director, or the showrunners is just utterly laughable.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

GulagDolls posted:

it would have been better if it had been delivered by someone the audience cared about, but, still pointless because it didnt reveal any information about rick that people didnt know just from watching the show, and also wasnt funny

Thinking over that particular scene, I think the point of it was how it played with the audience's expectations. Speaking for myself personally, the entire time Dr. Wong was talking I was absolutely sure that Rick was going to blow her head off at any moment. The framing of the scene and Rick's expressions during it seemed to clearly indicate some kind of projectile flying in from off-camera, and Rick's actions throughout the series (let alone the rest of the episode) would absolutely support Rick taking the action to kill an otherwise innocent person who he felt was annoying him (By revealing deep psychological truths about his character).

If anything, what I felt during that scene was a kind of uncomfortable terror, because we know what kind of person Rick is, and we know what he's capable of. It's just one more reminder that we're not supposed to root for Rick-at least, not Rick as he is now. He's an utterly toxic person who's ruining his family, and he needs to get better not for his own sake, but for theirs. The fact that he didn't act against Dr. Wong is, perhaps, a sign that he does recognize the truth of what she was saying in some small way-even if his next immediate action was to get blitzed with his daughter and continue ignoring the emotional needs of his grandchildren.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Last Chance posted:

Hoo boy, do NOT read the comments on those videos. Actually makes me proud of our sandwich derails and such

SA is the worst place on the internet, except for literally everywhere else

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
That was a... weird episode.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cryophage posted:

How long have the avatar limits been 180x180?

Last year or the year before, I think.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Seriously, this very well could be the best episode of the series. The entire thing was loaded with great jokes, biting commentary, solid animation, and had some fantastic writing and direction to wrap it all up together. It's rare for a single 22 minute episode to have so much content packed into it, let alone to pull it off so well.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nail Rat posted:

Shirley, you can't be serious.

edit: it wasn't written by Eagles Person btw, they covered the song after they heard it in The Warriors :eng101:

However, the original artist (Joe Walsh) was in the Eagles so it still technically counts as having been written by an Eagles Person :eng101:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 14, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I liked parts of the episode, but overall... I dunno. I mean, we know Rick's a giant rear end in a top hat, but the fact that he's so callously torn apart Morty's memories is just :smith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Typical posted:

Would love for them to sort out these negotiations. Literally about to loose my healthcare, (because i've been working non union studios for 6 months now) . and it would be super nice to go back and work on rick and morty with full benefits. I have other options as far as shows I can jump onto. but god drat lemme tell you goons. the RNM office is 2 blocks away from my apartment. and walking to work is so nice.

(also the show is very fun to work on)

That's gotta be an awful situation to be in. Definitely hope that for the sake of you and everyone else on the crew they're able to start production up again soon.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
the secret is that terrible people unfortunately also happen to like things, and the best thing to do in every situation where they like the same thing you do is to ignore them and move on

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

RCarr posted:

Is this a new episode they are airing right now on Cartoon Network?

It's... a thing

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Imagine an entire country falling in love with the Chevy El Camino

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MeinPanzer posted:

That's what I'm referring to. I'm about 4 episodes in and probably not even going to finish it because the show just isn't interesting when it's endless graphic violence with a thin veneer of character development or whatever. I wasn't that familiar with Harmon and Roiland before but after a little reading it sounds like they've basically just given the show over completely to indulging their most boring impulses.

If nothing else make sure you watch The Ricklantis Mixup, since it's by far the best episode of the season (and one of the best of the series).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

prefect posted:

Does anybody know if ratings have gotten more accurate? I read that the old fashioned "keeping a diary of what you watched" was incredibly bad. But now you've got Internet all over the place, so that has to complicate things, too.

Traditional Neilson ratings are probably about as accurate as they've ever been. The flip side, of course, is that over the air numbers are far less relevant than they used to be-it matters a lot less to Adult Swim now how many people watched Rick and Morty at 11 PM on Saturday, when they have far more accurate numbers on how many logged on to adultswim.com to stream it, how many people watched the episodes through On Demand, or how many people are actively binging the show on Netflix or Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We really do need more lady made girl centric cartoons, I like the thread topic and Venture Bros but they're definitely from a male perspective, I feel people need more children-ish entertainment clearly from a female pov to bridge the chasm between genders. I miss Daria.

Star vs. The Forces of Evil is basically that. There's also a show coming out next year called Owl House that looks neat.

Edit: There could definitely stand to be more though, especially adult cartoons.