Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I, for one, love our first Morty president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

vermin posted:

The Rick candidates for the Council of Ricks are

Retired General Rick, Private Sector Rick, Juggling Rick, Rick Guilt Rick, and Reverse Rick Outrage

Reverse Rick Outrage was dressed like the "Rent Is Too drat High" guy, but was Rick Guilt Rick supposed to be a reference to anything?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

prefect posted:

I thought Rick Guilt Rick was the rent guy.

(It was the gloves that made me notice it.)

I got my Rick names mixed up!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

empty whippet box posted:

One thing we definitely learned is that Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland don't like MIB II.

Not a controversial opinion

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Good Cop Rick fascinates me. He's the least Rick Rick we've seen outside of poo poo Eating Rick.
obviously, rickness is a function of environment

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

"You're Outnumbered" was alright, but "I am Alive" is definitely the best.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Yeah, this is better than I thought it would be.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Are Beth, Rick, and Mr. Poopy Butthole the only characters who acknowledge they are in a television show?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The episode left me feeling a little cold. It was funny in parts, but was an unsatisfying conclusion to the season.

I am also not huge about the reset to the status quo unless the real Beth pops out of a portal at the start of next season.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

J.J. Abrams, the originator of the term, defines a "mystery box" as any plot element that the writers signal to be important in a TV show or movie whose actual value is not immediately clear to the audience. It is different from a MacGuffin in that the attempt to figure out the object's overall relevance is what drives the plot and keeps the audience engaged. He provides this comparison (which is questionable imho) to his work on "Lost":

quote:

In terms of the content of it, you look at stories, you think, what are stories but mystery boxes? There's a fundamental question -- in TV, the first act is called the teaser. It's literally the teaser. It's the big question. So you're drawn into it. Then there's another question. And it goes on. Look at "Star Wars." The droids meet the mysterious woman. Who's that? We don't know. Mystery box! Then you meet Luke Skywalker. He gets the droid, you see the holographic image. You learn it's a message. She wants to find Obi Wan Kenobi. He's her only hope. But who's Obi Wan Kenobi? Mystery box!

So, in the show, neither Evil Morty nor Tammy would be mystery boxes because the audience already understands who they are and how they figure into the overall universe. If the show had instead worked backwards, introducing the train and then spending the remainder of its runtime hinting at how important the train was with long, ominous shots of it and characters throwing out vague clues about the importance of capitalism or some bullshit, that would be a mystery box.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 4, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are there any movies that fail the test but still have decent portrayals of women

Roman Holiday is the first thing that came to mind, but the official Bechdel Test site considers it to pass because Audrey Hepburn talks to her assistant at one point.

I guess you could say 500 Days of Summer, but the joke there is that the main character treats Zooey Deschanel like a prop. Her interior life is only implied by her actions and all the conversations between women characters is intentionally inaudible.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 5, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The episode was fun, but I was hoping that Morty would call Rick's bluff after revealing he'd tricked Morty into Prestiging himself, just because we've had a few episodes following this general formula and I enjoy Morty getting the occasional win.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I see this as a Morty win. Having to kiss Grandpa's vat doesn't force him to unlearn the lesson he learned. His decision to merge the branching realities undid the damage that he did to other Morties and he faces no other consequences and he's learned that he has a soul mate out there to go find.

It will suck for the Morty whose universe they borrowed for the merging though.

Edit: if anything, this episode proves that Morty can easily prey on Rick's insecurity to manipulate him into making whatever he wants. Rick will ultimately shield Morty from major consequence because of the inconvenience to him.

Maybe, but we don't get any indication at the end of the episode that Morty is going to take anything from this except "Don't gently caress with Rick." Some future episode might show Morty actually gaining agency independent from his grandpa but none of that is here. Instead, we just get Morty kissing a vat.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 18, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'm sure I'll be entertained either way, but I'd really like to see Rick get dunked on before the season's out.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i hate how the pseudo-speculation about rick being a devout catholic made me hyper-aware of rick's comments about "the real god" in this episode

Also, yeah, the Morty and Summer subplot was fun.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Skippy McPants posted:

Nah. The reason they both had bombs was so Rick could push a button that would randomly detonate one, completely shirking his responsibility and leaving it up to random chance to decide who was the "real" Beth.

Speaking of, I think Family Beth still has her bomb.

Rick's whole schtick is that he uses his smarts to create solutions to problems that don't require him to make hard choices or face real consequences. Beth asks him to take responsibility for once, to choose whether he wants her in his life or not, but, instead of thinking long and hard about what would be the right thing to do, Rick manifests a third option out of thin air that allows him to once again avoid taking responsibility.

Had Rick actually respected Beth's wishes none of the events of the episode would have happened, either because there would have been no space!Beth or because space!Beth would have had no detonator in her neck.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Trivia posted:

Having access to infinite existences and the existential dread it entails is precisely why he doesn't have to choose. Because he already has chosen both, an infinite number of times. The real question is why he does anything at all.

the episode's a direct counterpoint to the vat of ricks episode. rick accuses morty of being selfish and irresponsible because morty used technology to glide through life and void any negative consequences of his actions... which is exactly what rick does all the time

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I was admittedly hoping for Jessica to be "let in" to the show's supporting cast and become a weird character in her own right but I guess becoming a time god and loving off is the second-best option for her

Also, what happened to Space Beth?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

That was... surprisingly genuine?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the show doesn't present an easy solution. planetina is right that only immediate, radical action is necessary to save the earth but morty isn't wrong for being horrified by the extreme violence that his girlfriend is willing to pursue toward those ends. this dilemma, in turns, allows the show to function as a dumb but functional explanation for the dissolution of a once-passionate relationship. they like each other but have fundamentally different visions for the world.

while i think the execution leaves a little to be desired, i did appreciate the show not taking the cynical, lazy approach of saying that "love isn't real" or letting morty's heart be broken by someone else yet again. i'm glad the show let morty be an active agent, both in terms of initiating the relationship and ultimately ending it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Dienes posted:

He was left sobbing to his mom about how much he loved his ex. I think he was broken hearted.

I meant that it would have been easy to write this episode with Planetina breaking up with Morty instead of him breaking up with Planetina

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

what the gently caress is happening

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

that was extremely bad, like the worst episode in the series

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

im on the net me boys posted:

Absolutely, I’m surprised this went to air. It’s like they did one of the improv episodes but it was just one bit for the whole episode

wouldn’t be surprised if the episode was an improv writing exercise. the pacing of the entire thing and the absence of a B plot made it feel like it was written in one shot over the course of 30 minutes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

dying on a hill to defend my extremely technical definition of what does not constitute incest despite the writers and everyone else on the planet treating it as such

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

mostly good episode but, as with all the episodes featuring summer and morty’s high school, i don’t really get the ultra-stratified and cliquish view on high school.

bullying hasn’t been cool in over three decades. I’ve never seen clear social tiers like the ones summer and morty seem to worry about. their school seems like something more out of 1980 that 2021

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 19, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i guess i was just talking more from my perspective, which im now realizing is a little under a decade old. my experience was that systems of exclusion were a lot more subtle than the v aggressive and outward approach on the show but im probably showing my rear end a little here so apologies.

as i said before, i liked the episode overall. liked that the new kid didn't immediately die.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

this is some extremely anime bullshit

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

it felt like a filler episode to get the portal gun fixed in a non-frustrating way in anticipation of whatever narratively focused episode is dropping in several weeks. the pacing in this episode is weird, with the montages being clear padding for time.

the episodes in which the president appears are always among the weakest so i really didn’t expect much out of this, honestly

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i dont think anyone writing this episode thought about this episode as hard as people itt are thinking about this episode

and maybe it reveals subconscious biases but im not sure it was intended to be anything more than "wouldn't it be funny if everyone was forced to be as idle as jerry" and "how do we fix the portal gun"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

LividLiquid posted:

Just don't think about what your're being told and you'll like it more!

not what i said but go off champ

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

considering how much i viscerally loathed "childhood's end", more than i think any other sci-fi novel i've ever read, i suppose it shouldn't be surprised i disliked this episode

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i don't care about plot progression but it would be cool if there was actual inventiveness in the writing instead of lazy references to 80s properties that the characters are then self-aware about

like, golly gee wizz, an entire episode where the characters say the word "kuato" a lot. what a thrill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yeah that was p good