Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Covok posted:

Changed this because I feel what you're referring to is more a symptom of fan culture than anything else.

Right now, throwing around fan theories is really in. Some of this has to do with the fact that people always did this, but usually just with friends close by so it's really just a normal activity taken to the internet and scaled up. Some of this is because of increased community engagement. I remember when some early internet shows would praise fans for figuring it out (while simentously re-writing things). Some of it is probably just human nature, especially when you consider how over-analytical cartoon fans tend to be.

It is funny, actually. I swear, like a day before this new episode aired, I saw a video titled "Rick's Secret - He's Not a Genius" where they tried to claimed those whatever macguffins from the pilot are his trick or something. I just kind of groaned. Guess I wasn't alone.

Also, is there a term in fiction for a protagonist who is a dickbag? Like, I know about "anti-hero", but Rick doesn't do enough good things to qualify.

"Villain Protagonist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nerd/fan culture is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's odd being that the show has a decent amount of continuity. I'd go as far to say that it has more continuity than any other comedy cartoon outside of South Park.

This post wins the "greatest irony content" award for this page.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The last three seasons of South Park have had heavy continuity, but yeah it's not really the best example.

I know. The irony is that South Park is now known for its (recent) rigid continuity enough to be cited as example considering how it started.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Fancy Hat! posted:

Literally that's all they could do with the character. Also, it sort of felt like Jerry got increasingly dumber as the show went on and he was just a punching bag for Rick & Co. Infact, I feel like the following episode, the family could start tearing eachother apart because they have nobody to freely tear down.

It's hard to get much dumber than "You think you can control me with a haircut?" from literally the second episode.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think "what, you mean dictionaries?" Is my favorite throwaway gag so far.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Rick just got loving owned and I love it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

God damnit I love myself

This is the Rickest quote in a long time. I love it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Receiving explosion (f**k you!)"

This episode is full of amazing poo poo

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh good, another scientist character that hates therapy and psychology. Just what the world needs.

She kinda just loving owned him, though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That was a fantastic ending.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo who was he?

He's the CIA guy in Archer.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Who the gently caress wants more "realism" in Rick and Morty like goddamn did you miss the mission statement?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There weren't a lot of "Hey, this is a joke!" lines, but there were plenty of visual gags that I am 100% on board with. Good stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
People ITT upset that a therapist takes a deserving poo poo on Rick's life, because he absolutely is a terrible loving person. In what universe (it's definitely not C-137) does Rick not deserve that kind of verbal beatdown? He's a colossal rear end in a top hat with serious control problems, and people are calling the show bad that it actually acknowledges that instead of pretending he's too good for it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Dog posted:

Show, don't tell. The scene last season where he tries to kill himself tells us the same thing the therapist does in a lot more impactful manner. Having a character we don't really know summarize a character's flaws for us (flaws thay we're already intimately familiar with) isn't especially interesting.

I eagerly look forward to your pitch for a cartoon that has literally no expository dialogue.

Exposition, particularly in the form of dialogue, isn't inherently bad. It's when you get to stupid poo poo like the end of Interstellar where main characters repeatedly shout simple concepts back at each other that it's a problem. This was totally fine. Part of the impact of this scene in particular is that it's someone that isn't Rick pointing out that he's bad at this poo poo. As long as he's the one doing it he can just rationalize it away and pretend it didn't exist in the first place. Having it in the open and particularly where his family can see it is a bigger impact than that scene you just referenced.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The whole point is that Rick would rather commit what amounts to small-scale genocide, multiple-murder, and literally destroy some embassy (formerly) full of people in order to not have to spend time with his family doing something he doesn't like. The ultraviolence is kinda necessary for it to be significant.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dtkozl posted:

Why did we need to see it? We have seen it several times before. We don't need to see someone get the last word on Rick. He isn't going to change. If you want him to change then honestly you fail to get the basic reason why this show is funny, which is these are fundamentally terrible people. Once he becomes a good person he stops being entertaining because at that point you have destroyed the dramatic tension between him and his little sidekick.

This was a terrible episode. It wasn't funny or clever and seems to only be enjoyed by people who have this emotional need to get revenge on utter bastards. I suppose I can understand that, but it's pretty boring for those of us that don't feel that way.

Sorry for picking on you, but I've seen this same post a lot including from the writer.

It's okay to not get the jokes, really. You don't have to poo poo on everyone else's likes because you didn't get it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

lovely Wizard posted:

TLDR - Stop getting mad at people not liking cartoon. It's a cartoon, it is not your religion or your first born, if you are physically enraged by words criticizing said cartoon, you should seek out real therapy.

tbf it'd be a lot easier if you weren't such a terrible poster

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

lovely Wizard posted:

I'm not mad, I posted that I thought episode was bad because big ol monologues/soapboxes by writers who want to add some inner deepness to funny cartoon scientist is not good writing.

Some other people agreed, and we all got called neckbeards, autists, sociopaths, etc by some shitposters.

I then formulated a post and a TLDR designed to preemptively quash the two main arguments of the main shitposters in this thread.

You seem really mad. Literally everything about this episode was a monument to how shallow Rick's character is. That was the entire loving point, literally from the first ten seconds, and you've managed to latch onto this idea that just because somebody unloaded a philosophical dump on Rick's life it was to be "deep".

Seriously, it's fine that you didn't get it. Just stop making GBS threads up the thread with your non-comprehension. :smuggo:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Saddest Rhino posted:

hey watching pickle rick reminded me that Mr Pickles exist. is that show good?

No.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not to be confused with a similar group in California that focuses on healthy eating, the Lo-cal Cal Low Cal Calzone Zone.

I'll see myself out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That was a good episode. :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

tarlibone posted:

I lost it when Morty was asking Rick how long he'd been using the malapropism "take ___ for granite."

Great episode, and I liked it more than I think I would have liked a third Interdimensional Cable. (Though I called House Hunters before the logo was legible on-screen.)

Anyone know what the license plate number on Mr. Moon Man's car was all about? It looked like a reference to something.

Saturn 5 was the rocket used for the Apollo missions.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
God drat

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Isaac rear end-a-hole. :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Beth's character development this episode has been.... questionably beneficial.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Snuffman posted:

Fem-Shep is the best alien.

Samus is the best Hunter. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There was a picture of Beth on his wall. That lying sonofabitch, he said he didn't have any. :argh:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Postal Parcel posted:

Am I misremembering things, or was there ever a scene where he shouts "Oh God, save me, save me, save me" and then, upon getting out of his predicament, says something like "Haha! gently caress you God! I knew you weren't real!"?

"Oh God in heaven, hear my prayer."

>fixes thing

"HAH! gently caress you God, not today bitch!"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wrong thread.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's one of the less-lovely parts of Naruto, so if that's the case I'll allow it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cojawfee posted:

It becomes annoying when you mention to someone that you like a certain thing and they either "pickle rick lol look at me" at you, or they assume you are going to shout memes at them and judge you for it. You can still enjoy the show, but sometimes you can't tell anyone else you enjoy it.

Maybe you should have less lovely friends, or stop blaming a show because your friends are lovely about it? :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bust Rodd posted:

And way more recently than all that they donated thousands of dollars of food to people who gave blood after the Pulse Nightclub shooting and issued a press release saying that they were there for the gay community or something.

Don’t let your stupid head get in the way of waffle fries and good chicken my dude

"We don't hate you, we just don't respect that you want to get married and are prepared to spend millions of dollars to help prevent it from happening."

Yeah, gently caress supporting that. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Takoluka posted:

PG-13 movies allow for 3 shits and 1 gently caress.

The 1 "gently caress" part is accurate, but there's not really a limit on "poo poo". Evidence: Accepted, where the name of the fake school they make is literally S.H.I.T..

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PostNouveau posted:

The pickle episode's problem was the weird eastern european embassy stuff. They're terrorists and have folklore about a pickle man? Dumb. Woulda been better if it was him overcoming nature the whole time

lol automatically assuming 'threatening' means 'terrorist'. Also the computer guy freaking the gently caress out and screaming "It's because I threw half away my sandwich!" is one of the best lines in the episode.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I liked Rick's B plot, but the Beth/Summer/Morty/Jerry A plot was more annoying than funny. "Jerry is a loving moron, take 12" can only be dressed up so many ways that are actually good and "online dating will destroy the planet" wasn't one of them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Laughed pretty hard at the middle finger sculpting itself from a massive turd. And the lengths Rick went to to track down the toilet culprit.

This was definitely the best single gag in the episode.

I also really appreciate that it's completely unexplained how that guy even got to Rick's toilet paradise in the first place.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dan Harmon voiced Birdperson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Khanstant posted:

No, that was Nathan Fielder. If You've never watched Nathan For You, check it out. It's beyond fantastic and had hands-down the best and most satisfying finale of a comedy show of this nature.

Every credit I can find for Birdperson is Dan Harmon. Got a source?