Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Also, he's used the "infinite daughters" line on Beth before? Enough for her to quote? Didn't think that's something Rick would say to Beth's face, like telling her she's been left for dead before.

Maybe he hadn't said it out loud, but c'mon. Beth isn't an idiot. She's definitely heard about infinite universes, infinite realities, infinite dimensions before. Hell, she browsed through some of them in one episode. She's probably just put 1 and 1 together and assumes that there are infinite Beths with similar relationships to their infinite fathers. She'd probably arrive at this conclusion even if she never suspected that the Rick in front of her isn't her actual Rick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

it's gratuitous at this point though

Skippy McPants posted:

I... kinda agree. This wasn't the first regressive Jerry story and like the marriage subplot in season one and two, it gets perfunctory after a while. At least with Beth's stuff, it felt fresh because this was the first time she and Rick got together to hash out some of their baggage.

I think I posted earlier (a few/several episodes ago) about how Jerry's "arc" this season is getting tiresome. They're turning him into Meg from Family Guy, except I doubt they'll give him an episode where he totally destroys the family's sense of entitlement to treat him that way by emotionally tearing them all down, one by one. (Of course, unlike the Family Guy writers, if they did do that, they probably wouldn't hit the reset button at the end of the episode for the stupidest of stupid reasons, so there's that.)

The status of his character right now, though, is really wearing thin. His kids are openly disrespectful and hostile toward him, and the reasons the writers give them for this behavior seem to me to be stuck on there just to promote their behavior toward him. I think we all get it: he's horrible, and the writers won't even give him the brief moments of redemption that we saw in "Rick Potion #9" and "Big Trouble in Little Sanchez" anymore.

At this point, the character should just kill himself. I mean, if R&M wants to be dark, then carry this on to its logical conclusion. Or, he can just find some woman who will deal with his poo poo and leave the show so we can move on, because Jerry is a dead horse and I'm getting tired of watching them beat him. C'mon, show. Either poo poo or get off the pot. All this sitting and grunting is just sound and fury signifying nothing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

21 Muns posted:

Well, I mean, it's certainly proof that it hasn't gotten linearly worse. :colbert:

BTW Chetreo did his new remix for the episode. It was kinda meh but it might grow on me like the last few weeks' remixes have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJFsjxvsmlM

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

jingo posted:

The only bit of supporting evidence for this theory was Jerry's answering machine being full of messages. But that doesn't hold up at all; the messages were being played back, that only happens when someone is there to play them back. An answering machine is only used to indicate an absence in media if the phone rings and the machine picks up.

It's also used to thinly veil exposition on TV shows and in movies.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Why is someone owning their flaws "cheap"?

Because of the way in which it was done.

Jerry: "I need you to do something for me."
Summer: "OK, but first, say _____."
Jerry: "OK, fine! _____!"
Summer: "Thanks, and there you go! Do it yourself! Bye!"

Jerry owned nothing there. It is clear given his tone that if Summer had said, "OK, first, I want you to say 'I'm a big old poopy-head with a butt for a face and hemorrhoids for a mustache, and I smell like poop, even parts of my body that shouldn't smell like poop, and my hair is dried poop mixed with butt hair, and I speak only in farts, which contain little bits of poop," Jerry would have repeated it verbatim. Because, guess what? He's a spineless jerk--bet you didn't see that one coming! And even if that weren't true, which it is, the fact is that Summer very easily tricked him and in the end didn't help him at all. Instead, she left him to fix himself.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that on the surface, but Jerry's previous attempts to fix himself have netted zero results, and Summer's own tone at this point suggests that she neither cares if he can nor believes that he can do it this time. So... she offered help, gave him a price, let him pay the price, and then didn't help him because he's a worm. That's not Jerry owning anything. That's his daughter treating him like poo poo. Sure, he deserved it. But it was still cheap because it's how everybody treats him all the time.

Conversely, Jerry killing himself wouldn't necessarily be cheap. It's an easy thing to have the character do, but that doesn't make it cheap. What makes it cheap is how it's handled afterwards. If it rocks the family's foundation and drives a wedge between Rick and Jerry's Kids, and maybe Beth, that wouldn't be cheap unless Rick just went to another universe without a Jerry and insinuated himself into their lives instead. Also cheap: making a clone of Jerry, or grabbing a spare from the daycare or something.

Not cheap would be dealing with the loss and seeing if Rick can bring himself to actually give a poo poo about this version of his family, or seeing just how thick or thin that veneer of not caring is. That would require characters owning their flaws, or at least character development, and it wouldn't be cheap. It might not be fun to watch, and it might change the show too much for many fans, but it wouldn't be cheap.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'd watch it twice. Even if Flava Flav was in it.

oh wait, wrong thread....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

We have no proof he was killed. :spergin:

"Here... Tommy... gave me this...." (hands Rick a roughly severed finger)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

We Know Catheters posted:

It's not nice to call people "bird-brained".

Looks like we found a towhead.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I loved this episode. The fight with the government folks, which revealed some proto-Rick-level tech, was great to watch. Prez wasn't a match for Rick, but he wasn't a pushover, either.

And the end of this ep... OK, well... let me first say that I loved it. Let me follow that by stating an unrelated fact: I liked that episode of The Simpsons where the real Principal Skinner came back, and we found out that Seymour Skinner was actually Armin Tamzarian, but at the end of the episode they forcibly handwaive that away in the ultimate pressing of the reset button. And I liked the much later episode of The Simpsons when their pet cat kept getting killed, and at the end, Lisa gives the new cat--identical to the old one--the old one's name, and is called out by Skinner, who is called out by Lisa.

I like the Smith family being together. I also like how Rick's final insults toward Jerry were pretty much totally applicable to Rick, too.

Fun, adventure, superscience. Rick and Morty!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Yeah, it's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atks5rRqQkg

Not sure about the origin.

Some of my favorite scenes. I wouldn't call The Blues Brothers underrated, but I think it should get more attention than it does as a pure comedy.

The "hut" thing is real, and it's from the military. And that really was the joke--SWAT thinks they're military, or so the joke goes. They're like little boys playing ARMY MAN!, and they don't even know it. (You'll notice that the National Guard isn't making that clatter.) My favorite part of that was when the camera is on the one SWAT guy rappelling down the wall. You hear him hutting all by himself... but when there's a wider shot, you hear all four of the men rappelling down the wall hutting.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The grand finale: A Really Long Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkSFf7oXSw

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I can't wait to eat the Szechuan sauce and then poop it out

If you can get it. It's only at certain locations. I tried looking in Illinois, and because I'm not in the northern part of the state, my options are limited. As in, an hour drive limited.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That's funny to you?

It's morbidly funny. It's even funnier if you imagine that it happened at the main McDonalds, where the upstairs is the office of the McLeader, and as he watched the violence unfold, he literally twirled his handlebar mustache while laughing evilly. Also, he has a top hat. But no monocle. That'd be silly. But he'd stop laughing to tell his "puppets" to "dance."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I love BWW Mango Habanero.

I fell in love with their scorpion rum... but then they took it away. Now the only place to taste it is in my memory.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Great.

Now people are going to go to McDonald's when they bring it back again and try to out-nice each other for sauce and free McDonald's.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

He struggles to maintain any relationships, personal, romantic, professional. He's a super hard to get along with guy.

So, in a word... a dick.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

The word "dick" carries a lot of negative connotations and is inherently sexist. Can we just call him an agape poo poo spewing rear end in a top hat? Everyone has one of those.

So he's less a dick, and more a human representation of what makes Goatse so... so goatse.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

I gave up on listening to Harmontown a few years ago and I can't really pinpoint why. It made me feel depressed sometimes. Maybe I don't really want to know how the "sauce was made" so to speak.

I think you mean "how the sausage was made."

Don't take common phrases for granite. Learn them right.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Doctor Autisim. Hit of the fall!!

Ugh.

You know, this bugs me. There is a new Doctor Autism show. See, he's awesome because he's Autistic, and look at how awkward he is!! Just like that autistic doctor on Chicago MedFirePoliceButNotJustice.

I'd hate to imagine a world where TV producers thought that autism was somehow not exactly the same thing as savantism.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

From what little I've seen of the show, that's literally all it is. I kind of hate the whole magical autist thing in TV shows and movies. My niece is autistic and I can promise you, it doesn't turn people into meat robots with perfect analysis powers.

I have a 21-year-old autistic son. So yeah, I, too, am wildly aware of this fact. He's moderately high-functioning--can't live on his own by any stretch, but he's with it enough to hold down a job as a parking lot attendant and loading helper at Home Depot, despite his quirks and communication limitations.

Autism is the new magical ability that grants super-smarts, while "balancing" the superhuman intelligence with awkward mannerisms. According to TV, at any rate. It's lazy at best and a little insulting at worst.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

These are official and came out a little after or during Season 2. I have the Mr Poopybutthole one minus the gunshots. He came in a box set thing.

This can only be true if they photoshopped in Pickle Rick.

Which, to be fair, it totally looks like they did.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Though I guess Rick is technically Latino.

That's racist. Did it ever occur to you that maybe he just identifies as Sanchez?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the difference between boo zhwah and boo zhwah zee

The term "bourgeoisie" is a noun and refers to the people and entities that comprise the bourgeoisie. "Bourgeois" is the adjective that refers to the bourgeoisie.

For example, "I am in the bourgeoisie" is such a bourgeois thing to say.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

About Pickle Rick

The reason anyone would write something this long, if they could--which they can't--would be because they could.

Which they can't.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DizzyBum posted:

...Also, while confirming that, I found a Google Search easter egg that shows up if you search for "wubba lubba dub dub". Never knew about it until just now.

"Did you mean: i am in great pain please help me"

I think I posted about that a while back. I found it pretty funny. Good to know the Googlefolk have our backs.

Now if we could only get Bing on board.

Bing®. "The best way to google something."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

(checks the original data files and media sources)

Yes. It checks out. It is amazing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

The funniest one was the last one.

Would've been better if someone replied to that last one with "No, that's Venture Bros. Rick & Morty is a rap song by Chamillionaire."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

QwertySanchez posted:

Speaking of fans...

From the cursed images thread.

I wonder if the guy (or girl) who took the picture snorted the crystals. And what those crystals were made of. Hopefully, it was drugs and not something dangerous like cinnamon.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Barry Bluejeans posted:

You don't want them to have smoked something dangerous?

Snort, not smoke.

But you shouldn't snort something that's not a snortable substance like cocaine or heroin or meth. Cinnamon could collapse a lung faster than you can say "the cinnamon challenge."

I mean, ideally, sure, you don't want to snort anything. But if you have to snort lines of something, why not drugs?

Drugs®. "The stuff to snort.(TM)"

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Spicy Nacho Doritos ground into a powder.

I did the One Chip Challenge this year. Everything was fine (well, fine-ish) (Finnish?) until I innocently cleared my throat of the snot that was pouring down it. Every inch of skin in my mouth was hot. But, that tiny bit of phlegm that popped up when I cleared my throat was pure slime-lava. Imagine a hilarious "prank" where someone chopped up one of those chips and had someone snort it.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 20, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Season 3 is probably going to be the peak of this series. It's all down hill from here. Thanks szechuan sauce fan boys/girls.

Don't blame the people who latched onto a weirdly specific pop culture reference. Hell, I blame the writers on that one--they should have made something up entirely. Then the whole debacle wouldn't have happened. But, using a real life example was one or two picomontypythons funnier, so whatever.

If the show itself goes downhill from here, that's on the writers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Justin Roiland most likely did it knowing that people would latch on and get McDonalds to make more.

Well... yeah, probably. But still, that's on Roiland, not the people who actually went nuts and wanted the sauce.

BTW, they said they were bringing it back. I hope they didn't just say that to calm people down in the hopes that they'd forget about it in a few months time, because... well, if they did... then it's working fairly well, which sucks because I forgot how much I wanted to try it and how much I didn't want to make an rear end of myself trying to obtain it.

Maybe this is what the next Avatar will be about. Remember Avatar? When are we going to get those sequels?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm not saying they should have known how big of a problem the whole Szechuan Sauce thing would be. Really, that's on McDonald's for bringing it back, especially the way that they did. Had they not done that, it would have been relegated to ridiculous eBay auctions and YouTube videos of people trying to re-invent a sauce they'd never tasted. Sure, a somewhat imaginative and truly psychic person in the writing room might have foreseen a few people going nuts trying to get the sauce, but since they didn't know that McDonald's was going to bring the sauce back in a really badly thought out publicity stunt, and since there is no such thing as a true psychic person, then yeah, there's no way they knew their joke would morph into what it eventually became.

I'm just saying that the quality of the show going downhill won't have anything to do with what people not involved in the show went nuts over. If the next season is not as good as this last one was, then blaming the people who went nuts over sauce is dumb and wrong unless those people were later hired to write the next season.

The show's quality is independent of its fans' insanity.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

maskenfreiheit posted:

lotta text about dat sauce

At least I'm not screaming at McDonald's for some.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Cousin Nicky should have been more popular than even MPB.

"HEY, I'M WAAAAAALKIN' HEERRRA!"

Shout that while you're crossin the street, you chucklefucks. Quit shouting for szechuan sauce.

You said "Cousin Nicky" but my brain read that as "Little Nicky," so I heard "HEY, I'M WAAAAAALKIN' HEERRRA!" in Adam Sandler's annoying Little Nicky voice, and now I'm thinking about getting some Popeye's chicken and smothering it in Szechuan sauce.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

He looks like Bryan singer but probably did more drugs and less raping underaged kids I’m guessing.

(emphasis mine)

Can we all at least agree that it's a little bad that we guess that he's raped fewer under-aged kids instead of confidently knowing that he hasn't ever done that at all?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I will say that to my knowledge, none of the people involved in the production of the show has so much as diddled a kid, much less raped anyone who is under-aged. I was just riffing on the verbiage used in one of the posts.

Roiland ain't no Roman Polanski. (I hope.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

maskenfreiheit posted:

i want to hear about the gear wars

It's a rich subject, I imagine.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

(sigh)

Uncle Sam wept.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s not wrong

Maybe, but then again, who is laboring under the delusion that if you go to an ER with a knife in your eye, they're going to have a way to capture that eye goo, store it safely, and then put it back in when they sew your eye back up, which is also a thing that probably won't happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Caganer posted:

but there's 20 of them?

Reminds me of a Michael Jackson joke from back when he was... well, alive.

Q: Why does Michael Jackson prefer twenty-nine-year-olds to thirty-year-olds?
A: Because there's 20 of them!

Anyway... I just tried the Szechuan sauce today, with the tenders. Compared to the bottle of Szechuan stir-fry sauce (slash dipping sauce slash everything sauce) I bought at the store, there's less emphasis on heat and a little more on sweet smokiness.

It's good. Considering we're talking about a dipping sauce from a fast food joint, it's about as good as you're going to get. It's nothing worth writing home about, but honestly, when is the last time anyone put pen to paper, wrote a letter, stuffed it into an envelope, applied the necessary postage, and mailed a letter to their parents (or whoever raised them) just to say something about how good a meal was?