Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're playing another episode this Saturday, according to Wikipedia, but I'm not 100% on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i will note that, in the leadup to this season, the leftist chunks of Facebook pretty much declared loving war on this show

it was seriously bizarre, pretty much every political page I followed was posting memes about how Rick and Morty is a lovely show that only Nazis watch

I would be completely unsurprised to find out that hiring more female writers, including Summer more, and the choice of host for Ricking Morty were direct reactions to that, because Roiland and Harmon strike me as people who read social media reactions to their stuff

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Eifert Posting posted:

Put me in the "bet your life savings Summer is preggers" camp.

Did Hemorrhage (bucket-man) ever get named in the actual episode? If not, the fact that they gave him a name in the Pocket Mortys ad tells me we'll probably be seeing him again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The first words out of his mouth in the episode are "I am Hemorrhage."

Ah. I didn't really have an easy time understanding a lot of what he said with the bucket on at first, and I didn't have captions on, so I probably just missed it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

Perhaps instead, they won't go for the single hackiest plot that can possibly happen after two people have sex.

Meh, I feel like in this instance due to the father's identity there's interesting directions they can take it in. Plus one of this show's big things is taking hacky plots and twisting them; Lawnmower Dog and Raising Gazorpazorp come to mind specifically.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

They were married five years, if that ends with a surprise pregnancy it would be stupid AH (as heck).

Firstly, as mentioned, it was three weeks

Secondly, you know there's no way in hell they'd let how stupid that is go without spinning jokes out of it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like, it's a dumb plot, but Rick and Morty has made dumb plots really loving hilarious in the past, so I don't think that's any reason to start groaning

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah there's a gulf between "Rick and Morty take dumb plots and make them good" and "..therefor Rick and Morty are definitely going to use this dumb potential plot despite no evidence"

i'm not really saying the latter, i'm just reacting to the outright hostility to the idea

they might do it, they might not, but if they do it'll probably be good because this is a good show

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

I agree with this. The first Mad Max is a lovely australian movie that someone decided should have sequels that were actually good.

The same dude made all of them. Mad Max is lower-key than the others mostly because it was made on a budget of about ten bucks; the others had big studios backing them, so Miller could go bigger with them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I really want Japanese Rick to show up in the English-language version

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy god drat gently caress that episode :chanpop: :chanpop:

I love this show

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I can kinda see the complaint that the show got insanely loving gory out of nowhere. The first two seasons got gory every now and then, but so far out of the three s3 episodes, all three have had at least one moment of really nasty gore; Rickshank Redemption had Rick getting shot in the head, Rickmancing the Stone had Summer splattering Not Immortan Joe and the whole Armothy subplot, and now this episode had Pickle Rick murdering the living loving poo poo out of everything in his path.

It's gone from Black Lagoon levels of violence to Hellsing or Superjail levels of violence, basically.

(e: I should note that I think this is awesome, not bad, but I mean, it's not like I don't see how others would be put off by it.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 7, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Look Who's Purging was more violent than Pickle Rick.

More violent, yes, but not as gory. It's the disembowelments and hosed up body-horror surgery and whatnot that set it apart, imo.

dtkozl posted:

This is a fantasy you created in your mind.

There was no character development in this episode. Rick and Beth decided to ignore the shrink, to never go back, and instead they are going drinking which is something both use to escape the realities of their disfunction. Rick is manipulating Beth by showing the bare minimum of attention to her so she will continue to do what Rick wants. He has been doing this stuff since the show started. IF there was development he would tell her to get back with Jerry but he didn't because it is Rick that wants Jerry gone, not Beth.

I feel like we should maybe wait and see how this develops before we call it either way? R&M is surprisingly big on continuity and this is probably not something they'll just drop.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This thread is pretty much the least toxic place to discuss R&M on the internet, currently. Rick and Morty Schwiftposting is nuts right now, and the subreddit is only marginally better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RandomFerret posted:

The thread is worse during the episodes. Hey, dip out for a while and want to discuss the episode that just aired? Here's ten pages of white noise posts repeating a line from the episode!

Close the thread and keep it closed is what I'm saying.

On the other hand, y'know, it's kind of cool having a place on the internet where people aren't aggressively making GBS threads on the show solely because women are writing it

(And I'm not assuming anything, the idiots on Schwiftposting are directly saying they feel betrayed by the show because they hired women to write episodes)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's reeeeeal easy for certain people to see Rick as a libertarian/MRA role model. He don't give no fucks, he refuses to recognize any authority except himself, when the women in his life get messed up he just replaces them ...

Yeah, this is pretty much it. People didn't quite get that Rick isn't supposed to be a fuckin' role model.

There's also a distressing number of people who didn't realize that Jerry is also a bad person, and that he's supposed to be the universe's punching bag.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for real: if you watch things and go out of your way to not analyze them at all, you are an unbelievable smoothbrain and the flood of low-effort garbage in film and TV is at least partly your fault. meanwhile, if you have two brain cells to rub together and you don't actively make yourself dumber in order to Consume Better, interesting reads on poo poo will just kinda pop up to you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Argas posted:

Why did Beth say Dr. Wong's name was racist anyway?

It's partly what others have said, and I'm pretty sure partly a meta joke about Dr. Wong being voiced by Susan Sarandon, a very white woman.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait, what? Did I miss something big in this episode? :psyduck: I remember it being pretty tame and not having any obvious censorship other than the beeps.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

Why is there no episode? I don't like this one bit.

Labor Day. It comes back next weekend.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

I really hate that H3 couple, they creep me out for some reason. I don't know why they're youtube celebrities but everything about them seems manufactured as hell.

Probably because they are manufactured as hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

They're like the most chill down to earth YouTubers around.

It's such a weirdly fake kind of down-to-earth chill, though, and it kind of unsettles me. I'm more of a fan of stuff like Lazy Game Reviews and Techmoan and Chrontendo and Every Frame A Painting; just people who are really passionate about a subject going on at length about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, while that's an absurdly hosed up idea, it actually wouldn't overly surprise me if the show goes there, with how they've been highlighting Rick's abuse of Morty. They did say this would be the darkest season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

So are most of the Ricks and Mortys in the citadel on their own because their Rick/Morty died? That's a lot of dead Rick and Mortys. Also, kind of weird that it's ONLY the 14 year old/whatever age Rick is versions at the Citadel and no variations on the ages. Like, are Mortys only allowed in the Citadel once they hit that age?

The impression I get is that time is linear and parallel between universes; every Morty was born 14 years ago and every Rick was born however long ago, regardless of where they came from.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm perfectly okay with Evil Morty returning because they made it really obvious in the end of his debut episode that he was gonna be an ongoing concern. If anything, I admire their restraint for holding off until now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

El Pato posted:

I am watching on netflix the episode about the simulation, and just when Rick takes Morty out of school he says, I need to go back, I think I was about to get "Mary".

Not Jessica, Mary.

I don´t remember the rest of the episode, is this Morty the real Morty or also a simulation? Maybe it was a clue, or maybe they hadn´t named Jessica at that point.

"I think I was about to get married" is the line, iirc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for what it's worth I agree that there's been a weird sea change with how Jerry is treated by the show.

in the first two seasons, he was spineless, yes, but he was pretty bluntly shown to be good at heart. he may do a lot of dumb poo poo when it doesn't matter, but when the chips are down he'll do the right thing; even if it's simply because he's more afraid of the consequences of the wrong thing, the effect is still the same.

this season they've really been trying to course-correct that to "Jerry is basically human garbage at all times" and I'm not sure how I feel about it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

He tried to break up with someone by telling them his kids were racist.

i mean, you're kind of proving my point there? that happened this season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I think the dick move here is that they came within a hair of outright saying "THIS IS A RICK AND MORTY TIE-IN," but refused to actually make it one and cut in the people who actually make Rick and Morty.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Something something "hiney"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yestermoment posted:

Look, all I'm sayin is Justin Roiland looks like Bryan Singer left under a pile of dirty laundry.

But with at least twice the substance abuse and half the accusations of sexual assault.

what does this even loving mean :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

Maybe, but then again, who is laboring under the delusion that if you go to an ER with a knife in your eye, they're going to have a way to capture that eye goo, store it safely, and then put it back in when they sew your eye back up, which is also a thing that probably won't happen?

it's a whole lot more likely that they'll be able to remove the knife without disrupting the fluid in the eye than that you can do it

they can't put the fluid back in if it leaves, which is why you don't take the knife out on your own, so the fluid ideally doesn't escape your eye in the first place

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Caganer posted:

So I had 20 nugs (and dat sauce) for dinner. It was good imho. Tastes like a sweet teriyaki basically.

It's a step down from say, BBQ in terms of sweetness, which I like (I'm usually more of a ranch fan )but it's good.

They gave 3 packets which was more than enough, I put a third unused one in the fridge... maybe I should dip a PICKLLLLLEE in it. sorry

Draw Rick's face on the pickle, take a picture of it dipped in the sauce, and post on Reddit

Proceed to get famous

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Varance posted:

\
3) The hype associated with bringing back something that paused on a high note like Rick & Morty or Metalocalypse will bump Adult Swim back up if ratings tank.\

The Metalocalypse bridge has been burned so thoroughly it is now a pile of years-old ashes floating in the river. Brendon Small will probably never work with Adult Swim again and I don't think they'll bring it back without him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Caganer posted:

plotlines implying rick might just be the protaginist and not a "good guy"?

honestly, i would say that you're describing how they handled it in the first two seasons, and season 3 just went straight to beating the viewer over the head with how lovely of a person Rick is instead of implying it. subtlety is good, and season 3 wasn't particularly subtle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phenotype posted:

I like this show. I think the first two seasons were good and I think the last season was good.

I don't think there's really any chance of not getting a fourth season. It's way more likely they're still in negotiations and this whole thing is just putting a little more pressure on Adult Swim. Like, I don't think there's any chance Adult Swim doesn't pick it up, but even if in some alternate universe they didn't, wouldn't Netflix and Comedy Central and a ton of other channels jump at the chance? This show was like the biggest nerd hit of the last couple years. It's enormous.

that depends on who owns the IP. if it's with Roiland and Harmon then yeah, but if Adult Swim owns the copyright, they're going to hold onto it for dear life.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I'm just gonna throw something out there: Mr. Poopy Butthole totally warned us that this was gonna happen

e: like, between his message at the end of s2 being dead-on correct for s3's premiere date and him warning us that s4 was going to take a really long time, we should maybe start listening to him. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Counterpoint, Rick and Morty doesn't star a convicted rapist

on the other hand, mike tyson actually served time for it and arguably genuinely did pay his debt to society. like, it makes me feel gross too, but there's at least an argument to be made that Adult Swim aren't being immoral dicks by giving him a job, it's a hairy issue and not just a black-and-white "gently caress this guy forever."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't have a dad either and I never raped anyone.

do you also, like mike tyson, have significant brain damage from getting punched in the head over and over and over again

like, i think that's frankly more of a mitigating factor than the parent thing, it's a loving miracle the man's still capable of walking with how hosed his brain is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

"Nah, see this guy's oeuvre is just that everything appears to be total poo poo and not at all funny, but really he's a genius"

This line has been working on adult swim executives for as long as there's been an adult swim.

i wouldn't say it's as much that

while their stuff is really, really rough, it has a weirdly strong creative voice and it's really unique-looking, and those are things Adult Swim has like always prioritized over mass appeal. i mean gently caress, these are the people who've given Tim and Eric patronage for their entire careers despite most of their audience hating Tim and Eric.