Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

I hope the crew aims for funny more than continuity.

I think the end of Rickshaw Redemption indicates that continuity, while present, will mostly recede to the background this season. That said, I take several of Dan's statements to mean that we'll probably get a Meeseeks episode and an Evil Morty episode this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megaspel posted:

Nah, I think that bit was just to make fun of cliché backstories, I don't think Dan would do the stereotypical "Man motivated to become superhero from non-developed female characters getting murdered/fridged". I don't think Rick really has a backstory until it becomes relevant to the story, Schroedinger's backstory sorta thing.

I take Rick's fake backstory as significant insofar as it reflects on the Council Of Ricks. I don't think the story Rick made up has any bearing on his own past, but I do think that it's something the Council Of Ricks would plausibly do. I could be totally off, though.

Xealot posted:

Why Rick was ever married or a parent in the first place is the question I have. There's gotta be a weirder, more hosed up situation there from day 1.

Yeah, this. I'm not really hungry for a Rick backstory, except insofar as one is needed to give Beth a backstory.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pants Donkey posted:

I sincerely hope the second episode is just about Jerry living on his own.
Twist end: the roommate in his new apartment is Phoenixperson

Jerries Going Their Own Way

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Copied from a Skype chat:

I think it's critical to understand how the OG Beth/Summer/Jerry scene ties in with the ending. You know how Rick eliminated Jerry (and the government) to become the only patriarch in Morty's life? In the OG earth, we see a world without the (human) government... and without Rick. So Jerry is, in fact, the only patriarch, and he's not, in fact, ill-suited for that role. He's a horrible, loathsome, Gaston-ish person, probably, but he's not weak and pathetic in the way we're used to him being. In fact, Jerry's weak patheticness this whole time has not been an inherent facet of his character, but a result of Rick's presence undermining him and making him insecure. I'm pretty sure this is the intent and not just something I'm making up.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

It's 100% this. Rick drunkenly rambling at Morty in the garage is funny unless you've been 'Morty' then it's just sad.

Neah, I've been there and it's still funny

Baronjutter posted:

I actually had my overbearing alchoholic grandmother move in with me as a preteen and my mom couldn't address any of the issues around her due to beth-like conflict avoidance and emotions surrounding her mom. It hosed up my early teens and was awful. You'd' actually get cornered rick style and she'd grab you and start drunkenly rambling something she was super passionate about and needed you to know RIGHT NOW.

Still love rick and morty, just makes the comedy more personally relatable!

This. I'd say "maybe if you experienced something even worse, it'd make sense for you to not find it funny" but that's a pointless game to play because there's surely someone who's had an even more hosed-up family situation who finds the show even funnier as a result.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
More stuff copied from Skype conversations:

Okay, I just watched Wedding Squanchers and Rickshank Redemption as a double feature. Most of my new comments are about the end of Wedding Squanchers. I'm 100% willing to believe that the general plot of Rickshank Redemption was always intended to be the followup to Wedding Squanchers. The audience is absolutely misled about Rick's intentions, but not in a way I'd characterize as "lying to the audience" like Hans's intentions in Frozen (with the early shot of him swooning about Anna alone). In light of Rickshank Redemption, Rick's expressions in the final scene of Wedding Squanchers make perfect sense as motivated primarily by frustration with Jerry and a steely determination to get revenge on him, and Rick is already in denial about any self-loathing he might have momentarily consciously felt.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well I know that. I'm just saying that the implied implausible time scale of it supposedly happening after 9/11 when Beth is clearly at least in her 40's was even more hinting that the memory is impossibly bogus. The fact that shot never happens at all is even more of an indicator.

Of course, I'm seeing a lot of people who WANT Rick's clichely tragic backstory to be real.

As a backstory it sucks, but I like what it says about the Council Of Ricks, so I'm hoping that it is inspired by their real operating procedure.

Salt Fish posted:

In the commentaries Harmon and Justin explicitly say that they don't want there to be continuity and that their original plan was to have Beth and Jerry get divorced every episode ala Kenny getting killed in south park. I felt like the episode was packed with references to previous seasons so that they could put a bow on it and go back to "normal". My bet is that the next episodes exist in a vacuum and don't tie back to any of this stuff.

Eh, I also remember them saying at some point that they were planning to have another Meeseeks episode and another Evil Morty episode. They may have changed their minds since then, and I'd be fine with that, but I do remember them saying that.

21 Muns fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

so what do you think happened to Jerryboree now that the Rick who created it is probably dead along with most of its clients?

Were most Ricks actually on the council, or just the least rebellious ones?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It could be that there's an infinite number of Ricks but each Rick only has access to a finite number of them

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

Even if he's not that bright, being the one person in the galaxy who can actually stand up to Rick is the best thing about Morty. The bit with the fake gun and the stand-off in the most recent episode is another great example.

Morty getting chewed out for basically killing everyone by using his gun to threaten Rick instead of to kill the Council Rick is exactly the character dynamic that originally sold me on the show, and I was really glad to see it, because I was worried for the past season, with him standing up to Rick more and more, that he was getting so confident and competent that he'd basically be a more sympathetic, more boring Rick instead of a fuller comedic foil to him. That moment alone drastically increased my confidence that the writers know what they're doing.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vindicator posted:

Pretty sure all the inconsistencies with previous appearances of the Citadel were purely in service of the narrative they were going for in this one.It basically doesn't line up at all.

I mean, it lines up pretty well with Rick's disdain for the Citadel. Before it was possible to take Rick's criticisms of the Citadel as primarily malignant egotism, but now they make more sense taken closer to face value. Collecting large numbers of Ricks really does make them into authoritarian drones.

Also worth noting that they explicitly state that the Citadel is changing a lot since Rick blew up the original one; it's likely that the leader Ricks that got killed were some of the ones most like himself.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Jerry not wonder why he got fired?

I mean, there are several possibilities here. One is that Rick only deleted Jerry's memories of the simulation, so that he couldn't blame his firing on Rick. Another is that the entire episode's plot went differently in this universe. It probably doesn't matter, though.

The "Sleepy Gary" memory, on the other hand, is interesting in that it kind of hints at the aftermath of Total Rickall. The implanted memories don't just delete themselves when the parasites die - but Rick was able to undo the damage regardless using generic memory erasure. (This also indicates that if there were any real people killed alongside the parasites by mistake, Rick could easily cover it up.)

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

I really enjoyed getting this instead of doing another interdimensional cable episode but all the meta comments took me out of parts of the episode. I know I'm in the minority but the 4th wall breaking moments in this show tend to be the weakest moments for me. I think the only one i have enjoyed is Mr. Poopy Butthole, any time Rick cracks a meta joke it just doesn't work for me.

It almost feels like I'm watching an abridged series when Rick stops and talks to the audience directly, it feels wholly unnecessary. However outside of that the memories we got to see were pretty darn entertaining and we got some nice character moments through them too. I'm not the only one who thought Rick was loving with Morty the whole time with the moonman and the smudge on the telescope right? That's just such a Rick thing to do

I think that they said that when they were making season one, they were planning on eventually revealing that Rick is explicitly, canonically aware that he's a fictional character, and that it's a major part of his motivations; they abandoned the idea of making this a big twist but kept it as a general running thing.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fancy Hat! posted:

Morty's Mindblowers is basically the Dan Harmon to Roiland's Off the Cuff Interdimensional Cable.

Season 3's been far more Harmon than the rest, so that makes sense. Oddly enough both are good! Wow!

I do like this direction, but I think it would be interesting to see a season that goes as far in the Roiland direction from the first two seasons as this season goes in the Harmon direction.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Jog my memory: has Rick ever taken Beth on an adventure?

I mean besides the Morty-traumatizing clip this episode.

Only if Wedding Squanchers counts. Next week is going to be a Rick/Beth adventure; no Morty, though.

Come to think of it, there's never been an adventure with Rick, Morty, and any individual person other than Summer. Jerry tried to tag along that one time but he got left at daycare instead.

Zaphod42 posted:

They're all the same combo. Its all C-137 until Harmon comes up for a reason for it not to be. Assuming that they're not the same just because they could or could not is silly. There's nothing definitive saying they aren't and the show clearly runs on the assumption that they are, so until they subvert that expectation you should just go with it.

Alternate take: no two episodes have the same version of the characters, and in fact each time the camera cuts it's an entirely different Rick and Morty we're seeing.

Big Luke, but for Rick And Morty universes

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that was really hosed. Morty is just making a shelf, and then Rick acts like a giant douche and ruins Morty's sense of level surfaces until the memory gets removed.

TBF, this seems to be how Rick feels all the time; he's just learned to cope with it.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

On the squirrel gag, I kind of hope that, since they likely can't influence people directly without them looking crazy or blowing their cover, the squirrels use a coalition formed by Eliza Thornberry and Dr Doolittle as extensions of their will. They would have offered Morty a seat on the NWO (of course "erasing" him if he refused) if he hadn't fled.

Squirrels have a perfect understanding of the human nervous system. They're, they're doing a Ratatouille thing, Morty.

IMO the perfect answer to "what did the squirrels want to do to Morty" is "erase his memory".

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sanford posted:

Huge wall of gifs literally the best thing to be posted in this thread for many, many pages.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Edit: So good I'll quote it for the new page.

So are we just going to quote this on every page now? Can't say that seems like a good idea to me.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If someone actually dislikes the pilot, I don't think Rick And Morty is the show for them. That said, I got into the show via the Roy clip from Mortynight Run.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

timp posted:

Actually I bounced off of the pilot pretty hard, didn't try to pick it back up for almost a year or more after seeing the first episode. I just didn't find it very funny how Morty was this pathetic punching bag and Rick was such a sadist.

After giving it a 2nd chance and watching the 2nd episode I liked it a lot better (obviously)

I think it probably helps that I saw Doc And Mharti a year or so earlier and I thought it was really funny but a bit too edgy, so I kind of saw the pilot as a tamped-down version of that.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

demota posted:

I really want to see what happens if you start someone on the series with Total Rickall.

I know at least one person who got into the series this way. What I want to see is what happens if you start someone on the series with Tales From The Citadel The Ricklantis Mixup.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Beth, Jerry and Summer might have dimension hopped with them the second time anyway.

Oh, man, that would have been a pretty good extension of the Mind-Blower. Rick kills the other dimension's Rick and Morty, and Morty, panicked, attempts to protest "what about my mom and sister? Are they just stuck in the other dimension with the squirrels?", so Rick goes "oh, okay, sure" and kills the other dimension's Beth and Summer too.

Then it turns out that none of this was necessary because the squirrels just wanted Morty's memory erased, which Rick was more than happy to do.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TenCentFang posted:

I'm pretty sure you're jokingly playing along with Morty's grudge, but like, he let her down easy and Summer only assumed it was all about breast size when it's entirely possible he actually did feel like they drifted apart.

Especially when you consider the fact that Summer has gone through so much character development she's nothing like how she was in Anatomy Park, to the point that the season properly kicked off with an episode all about how she's became a detached murder machine who not only cheated on him with Lord Humongous but was willing to spend the rest of her life in this alternate reality with her new boyfriend. And then she did spend weeks living with that guy. Hell, the Summer robot probably creeped him the hell out and contributed to it as much as anything. I didn't even know they were still dating and was really surprised when he came back up, I had totally assumed he was in one shot character oblivion.

I know, I know, "Jesus dude it's a cartoon", but I've not got steam coming out of my ears, I'm just explaining my reasoning for taking issue with it. What makes it downright sad though is the way Ethan addresses Morty and asks him what's happening, as though, on some level, he respected and liked Morty.

Looking forward to episode 506, Anatomy World.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

I like watching this show but loving Christ I hate everyone else that enjoys watching the show.

Huh, this is a pretty Rick kind of attitude.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Do they do anything harmful? They seem fine and just don't want to be hunted.

Yeah, yeah, "continuity sucks", I know, but is it possible that they're the vampires? They really looked like vampires.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

"The fact no one agrees on what the best and worst episodes are proof it's gotten linearly better" :lol:

Well, I mean, it's certainly proof that it hasn't gotten linearly worse. :colbert:

BTW Chetreo did his new remix for the episode. It was kinda meh but it might grow on me like the last few weeks' remixes have.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TenCentFang posted:

Theory: The reason Summer kicked Morty in the junk that he didn't know the reason for was because she caught him masturbating in the kitchen, and he asked Rick to remove it from his memory.

I wonder if Morty's Mindblowers and the static age of Morties in the Citadel are related. Maybe Morty is a clone, a new Morty each time, or has his age stunted, and Rick manages him with memory deletion/addition.

Ricks and Morties both have "static ages" because there's no time travel.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's just a dimension where Rick hosed something up at some point that causes time to move extremely quickly?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really want main character death as a "serious plot point", but I do think it'd be fun as the premise for an episode that gets basically restored to the status quo again and then only occasionally brought up again a la Rick Potion #9. Like, say, Summer dies in an adventure in the cold open, and then Rick and Morty get into a fight over how to replace her. Rick wants to just grab another Summer from an alternate universe and be done with it, but Morty wants Rick to at least try to revive the original Summer first. Rick "caves", things go horribly wrong with Zombie Summer, and in the end Morty has to admit that Rick was right. The really hosed-up part is that Rick wasn't right; he was fully capable of bringing Summer back correctly and chose to half-rear end it to teach Morty a lesson.

And the episode is called Pet Summertary

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, right?

" we ran the numbers in our test group and the market is dying for a show featuring someone who stares at his phone, works 60-hour work weeks at a desk job and spends his remaining free time making snarky remarks on the internet."

What if that's what people in the dimension watching us are into, though? You know, like, maybe they don't have anyone with a life that boring in their world, so the concepts of boring and interesting are swapped for them, and their fantasy stories are about the utterly mundane.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MariusLecter posted:

Unless it's another Ricklantis Mixup fake out. :tinfoil:

I'm thinking it's a double Ricklantis Mixup fake out; it's designed to make us think something important is going to happen but actually it's just a fun laid back episode. :tinfoil:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

man the internet works fast. there's already fanart(nsfw) of the lizard stripper from the background of the israel/palestine peace talks.

I wonder how many furries work on this show sometimes.

IDK why everyone's so excited about her when the Mega-Gargantuan Presidentress is maybe the most appealing design the series has ever created and actually has a speaking role with a really cool voice.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Just LoL if you didn't exclusively consume media for adults as a 14-16 year old.

An occasional joke might fly over their head but the show really goes out of its way to break down the harder emotional concepts and the high concept Sci-Finstuff is supes self-explanatory

The Stephen Universe fan base absorbed a lot of the sex weirds from MLP and as a result it really is the most toxic fan base of all time. Everything that is hosed up about Bronies is in Stephen Universe fans but once you add all the gender//rock politics (god I hate people) you really just get pure bile.

I love magic, I love trans people, I love sex weirds, but please don't act like the Stephen Universe fan base isn't literally the worst and ugliest group of people on the internet.

I feel torn between agreement with you and a compulsion to point out that "Steven" is spelled with a v in this context.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

I feel like if anyone at McDonald's had told Dan and Justin this was their plan, they would have told them this was absolutely the dumbest thing they could've done and to send 1500-2000 packs to every restaurant or just not do it at all.

If nothing else, they know their fanbase.

IDK, I feel like Justin might have encouraged them to do it their way, and then cracked up as soon as he put the phone down.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If they actually watched Rick And Morty, they probably would have promised to get it out in "a year and a half, maybe more".

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

No, I do understand them, which is why I pointed out that Harmon has no right to be mad about

I'm pretty sure everyone has the right to be mad about whatever they want all the time. Like, I can just decide right now to be mad that chairs exist. No one can stop me.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

The word "dick" carries a lot of negative connotations and is inherently sexist. Can we just call him an agape poo poo spewing rear end in a top hat? Everyone has one of those.

IDK, isn't Dan's problem more a lack of agape? I think that being a misanthropist is kind of his problem here.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I Am Alive is still probably the dude's best remix. It's perfect

He didn't do it alone, but I'm a big fan of Mr. Poopybutthole.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What happens to people when they post poo poo like the original high IQ post, or anything else stupid enough to become a meme? Do they delete the account and live with the secret shame? Every time they see it being mocked, they die a little more inside?

Is there any reason to believe that the original high IQ post was unironic? I tend to assume that it was invented for exactly its current purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

The character was written to be Asian but Sarandon asked them if she could be in the show because her son loves it. Then they shoehorned her into the Dr. Wong character.

She should have voiced Keara instead. :colbert: