Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

empty whippet box posted:

Well, I have a cable subscription to log into, shouldn't adult swim be airing on the simulcast? It's just a loading symbol right now.

Yeah, getting the same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The Human Crouton posted:

I've liked every episode this season, but I worry that the overall story of the show is becoming structured. What was good about the character development in the first two seasons is that it just happened in a show that was disjointed, instead of being a base of the show. Every episode this season is great on its own, but I don't want them to lose sight of making a nonsense show just because the brief moments of reality get the most reaction. I still love the show, but I think it needs more intergalactic cable to remind itself that stupid should come first.

I think this is sort of right. There's always been depressing family moments, but they also usually have bizarre sci-fi and goofing around to buoy the tone. When they focus too much on trying to solve everyone's emotional problems, like this season's theme appears to be, you don't have as much fast-paced weirdness, and it can start to feel like a typical sitcom. The family parts are important too, but they're usually the B plot. On the other hand, I never liked Beth and Jerry having yet another clichéed marriage argument, so it's tricky to balance.

That said, the show's dialogue is still on point. I'd just like to see more frenetic, "Don't think about it!" moments.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

NecroMonster posted:

i mean, i know they blew up a whole planet when they didn't take rick, but on the other hand they only lost three team members that time, while their second outing with rick resulted in the complete loss of the team

There's still Noob Noob!

El Jeffe posted:

Was this the one Justin got super drunk irl for?
Yes. Unless the production order changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ0Yn1fqugg

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 17, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rexides posted:

The very punchline depended on the viewer believing that a man thinking about having a vagina makes him a lesser person.

The punchline is that Jerry makes what he thinks is a lame off-handed joke, and everyone decides he's The Wants-A-Vagina Guy forever. He specifically explains this in the episode.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I can't figure out the rules for when they can and can't say "poo poo."

I like how they have to censor "*** dammit."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bust Rodd posted:

I think what your experiencing is watching a show where in Seasons 1-2 the characters very rarely talked to each other for longer than it took to Quip or Snipe, but now in Season 3 you are getting scenes where the characters are decidedly done ignoring all the toxic bullshit they put each other through and need to say something about it. These are all conversations that have been bubbling under the surface and are finally coming to a head. I think the reason these come off as abarasive is because they aren't nice things to say or to hear, and it can be disconcerting to have your funny TV inkblot eye people talking about their feelings if nihilism and existential dread and longing and abandonment, but do you really want a 3rd round of "Sad thing happens while sad song about pain plays slowly, credits"?.

I think the issue is letting all the nihilism take center stage. Earlier seasons would let the cynical "nothing matters, life is hosed" attitude leak out a bit, but there'd always be wacky aliens or goop monsters or some other silly thing. Only a few episodes did the "slow walk away from a sad song" thing, which is why people remember them.

I mean, Morty growing up and realizing he's the only responsible one left is not a bad character arc, but what're they going to do for season 4? And is every episode from now on going to have to be entirely about dealing with crushing depression?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

How'd they get Richard Stallman to make a cameo?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

couple things:

1. Has anyone tried to translate the weird backwards talking the Truth Turtle did?

"I'm a Beatle, Paul is dead!"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I think my favorite bit that hasn't been mentioned yet is Morty nervously starting to whistle the Colonel Bogey March as the squirrels follow him.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Festus The Fetus posted:

There was a meeseeks but I think it was a promo for season 3 episode 1. Basically from what I can remember ricks just hanging out in prison and he gets pissed at his cellmate/Alien next to him who then gets moved for its safety. He gets a new nextdoorsie (my own word) who rick is uninterested in so Rick just kinda hangs out for awhile until he gets called for interrogation. And sometime before call there is a meeseeks who rolls past the screen about to be Interrogated by the Galactic Government even though it probably knows nothing and can never fulfill its purpose.

That's a fan video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzZ4K1OzomE

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The Bee posted:

After a season of Rick-as-God, seeing him taken down several pegs is going to be real satisfying.

Can't wait to see it! I'm sure it'll make a great 40th birthday present when it finally airs.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bust Rodd posted:

The movie The Accountant was literally just 90 minutes of Ben Affleck autistically no-scope headshotting people while doing super math and it was very much a “how did the hundred of people involved in this film let this happen” and Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers just called it offensive. I can’t believe this is still a thing.
The amazing thing about The Accountant is how they can keep the film going for over two hours without really addressing Ben Affleck earning his living cooking books for the mob. Yay, he saved the girl! :) And is also a criminal! :raise:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rexides posted:

Can't you just watch whatever show you want to watch and not care about the fanbase? Since when did the quality of the fanbase become a factor for the enjoyment of a show?

There are people who are going to obsess over anything to an unhealthy degree, for whatever psychological reasons. Sometimes it's gonna be things you enjoy. That does not mean anything about you or the thing you enjoy. Keep enjoying the thing.

On SA, sneering down at others is the entertainment, not actually liking things.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

13Pandora13 posted:

I think maybe you're taking the character drama a bit seriously? IMHO they play the drama for dark/surreal humor a lot. Like

for example, Beth mirroring Rick's alcoholism in being a "wine mom," specifically during the scene where she is shakingly pouring herself a glass of wine after she shoots Mr. Poopybutthole is hilarious. It's a terrible event taken at the surface level but with the subversion of expectations with the parasites it's definitely not meant to be taken that way, and it's a very heavy character drama ep.

The issue with season 3 is that, "Yeah, everyone has dark problems they're not dealing with" is usually the subtext, and they let you know it's happening but then cut away to a joke or a sci-fi thing or a commercial, so it doesn't drag down the pace of the show. Season 3 made that subtext the main focus of the show, and sometimes it worked better than other times.

Example: In the season 2 premiere, Morty and Summer are fighting for Rick's attention, and he tries to stop them by telling them he hates them equally. "I can prove it mathematically. Actually, let me grab my whiteboard. This has been a long time coming." Cut to a different scene. When they come back, he's just finishing up whatever dumb tangent he'd gone off on. It's funny.

Compare with a season 3 episode like The ABCs of Beth, where they just stop cold for a solid minute at the end so Rick can preemptively explain to Beth exactly his problems and hers. On one hand, Rick is too aware of all his failings, which is why he's such a mess. On the other hand, it's frustrating watching someone completely fail to change, repeatedly, forever. That's easier to swallow when he's being chased by a psychic butt or something.

Some people here really like the show turning into Dan Harmon's couch sessions, and others want that kind of development to be more subtle, or absent. But the show itself is pushing the drama to the forefront, so that's why some people are annoyed at it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PostNouveau posted:

They indicate at the end of Season 3 that they got all that out of their system.

We'll find out soon!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I just thought they needed a B plot and someone in the writers room was kicking around "I bet Garfield's seen some poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TI4NUHNNH4&t=53s

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PostNouveau posted:

Great episode. Everything on snake planet was gold, and I don't know why.

Fully committing to the dumb time travel with multiplying piles of dead bodies.

Also, Snake Hitler having a dog.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
On second thought, it's the snake doing the worm and a windmill that really sells it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Last Chance posted:

no, the intro always has a mix of stuff that we never see with a few clips of things from the season sprinkled in. Hepatitis A monster from Anatomy Park in S1 and Rick, Summer, and one of the parasites having a pillow fight in s2 come to mind

First one of this season, though.

This episode really went ham on the little details. I keep noticing something new every time I go back over it.

Huh, just the regular Pentagon -- oh wait, the roads.

George Wassssshington

Boats with fangs.

Slithery ICBMs.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The lack of acid in the last episode blew a pretty big hole in my "Every Episode in the Second Half of Season 4 is Going to Feature Acid" hypothesis

I guess it depends on what kind of space drugs Summer was on at the end.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BrotherJayne posted:

What the fuuuck, just got the blu ray season 4, and there is no goddamn commentary tracks

Did they not do them?

Yeah, I just discovered this as well. Unfortunate.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Episode 7: I thought the new Animaniacs might be the end of the same worn-out sixth-generation VHS copies of Speed Racer parodies in Western cartoons, but it seems we've got a while longer to wait. I mean, I know Voltron is old, but even the '80s show wasn't that old.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember shittily dubbed samurai movies from the 70s where, I swear, they'd have the voice actors just mumble and make rmargle noises until the person they were dubbing stopped moving their mouth.

It's also something that's gradually died out once Japanese media could actually sell outside of mail order sci-fi convention program advertisements.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
This episode was a love letter to Command & Conquer's sound effects.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nichael posted:

Where were those? I'm surprised I didn't notice.

During the battle, every time the bugs got shot.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Takes No Damage posted:

:lol: at the English, katakana AND kanji subs on the anime opening. Maybe this is why the GoBots anime spoof was so lame, they were saving up all their good tropes for act one of this ep.

Yeah, Vampire Hunter Rick is how you do an anime spoof.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

alf_pogs posted:

overall how does this season sit in people's overall rankings?

Lowest season overall. The sperm episode and half of the Voltron episode were the lowest lows I can remember since Gazorpazorp, and only a few episodes really stood out as high-quality humor/story. We did at least get some high-concept sci-fi rigmarole, but I hope that by next season, they can figure out whatever they're trying to do to drag the show out for another 60-ish episodes. I miss the energy of the early seasons, where it felt like they always had one more joke or twist than they could actually cram into an episode. The turkey episode came closest to recapturing that vibe.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I like Rick getting stabbed by a giant cocktail olive.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the attitude is generally such that if you write a series where every episode just builds on a central unresolved mystery and the promise of pay-off sometime in the future you can actually get away with a lot of poor episodes that don't 'fulfill the story cycle' while seemingly keeping the audience happy.

This rings true for every mystery/suspense show I'm aware of. Just keep writing until you get canceled, then poo poo out some vague, "They were all angels the whole time!" finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In case people think this gag is completely unrealistic, don't forget that people have been trying to make 'irony punctuation' a thing for well over a century now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

SomethingAwful used to have a sarcasm tag.

It was removed because people started expecting it in every sarcastic post.