Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

Woah hold on they're not saying Hispanic people can't be scientists they're saying it's humorous for them to be scientists!
Imagine a Sanchez as un jefe de los cosmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

the whole mythology of evil morty and the citadel and that crap doesn't really work with the way the universe is structured in episodes such as this one as the cronenberg one, if there is always a universe so similar that it contains a rick who is exactly the same only he went zig instead of zag in his last decision then there isn't just one rick c-137 there are countless trillions of them and our Rick can't possibly be unique, this is part of why we get the 'we only get to do this once or twice' joke in the cronenberg episode
I think you guys missed the key line where Rick's like "Time Crystals are a bitch and a half". It's based off the Season 2 opener and selecting from intentionally fractured timelines (Rick having implicitly gotten better working with them without the law bubbling in on him). The same principle as the interdimensional self-replacement Rick uses to get out of Cronenberging everyone or the squirrels, but not the same mechanic; those weren't like Morty C-856 getting melted.

This is also why Rick's able to "merge" the timelines, which doesn't seem to be a concept that applies to the differing dimensions which, as you say, are presented as much more discrete than continuous many-world quantum forking.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 20, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
How quickly we forget that Dan Harmon had a twitter breakdown when he found out FYAD thought the show was GBS.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Another reason to suppose he wasn't melting Morty C-856's is because he'd have hundreds of other Ricks portalling in bitching about how hard they are to replace these days

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The giant tube sorting complex over a constant source of new life washing in is similar to the later stages of our own Zack Parson's novel Liminal States - worth checking out if you want to see that particular aspect of this episode played out elsewhere, and also it's a generally great book.

Dragonstoned posted:

I read somewhere that he was supposed to be working on a set of episodes and then decided to make it in to the doomstar requiem instead but didn't bother to tell AS about any of it and then he just gave them that instead the episodes they were expecting. This hosed up AS's planned schedule immensely because now instead of a few weeks worth of content they have a single special (that can't be split up into episodes like the Futurama movies) and they were extremely pissed.
I think that might have got telephoned from the version I heard. To my understanding (also read from some random thread I can't source), they agreed to let him produce a longform rock opera but when the rough material started coming back the suits went "Whoah, whoah, whoah, you're not leaving breaks for commercials". Brendon came back that that's not what they agreed to and refused to rework it. So now Adult Swim has this program that culminates a four-season show they can't rerun unless they find somebody willing to underwrite the missing income.

Also, for something I can source, in the Venture Brothers oral history book the creators put out a couple years ago they talk about how Mike Lazzo initially shot down the pitch for their hour-long special, All This and Gargantua-2, because he wanted something standalone that he could promote to a broad audience (they went on to produce it as the premiere for the next season and Adult Swim changed their mind, but kept jerking them around about where in their contract they were paying for it to the point they wrote their penultimate scripts fairly certain they had two more to go - and had to finish that season at the beginning of the next). I've never heard Doomstar Requiem had the same problem, but it was around the same time and similarly inaccessible to new viewers so that had to play a part.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 25, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Oh since maybe some people in this thread won't know, at one point Adult Swim put up a fax number for a Save Metalocalypse campaign with a livestream of the receiving machine and what people were sending. Every sheet fell directly into a trash can.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nephthys posted:

All of the family came out looking like fuckups but he's the only one who got to really 'win' in the end.
He was the only one even willing to entertain the right conceptual horse last week (beekeeping)

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

This episode feels like a greatest hits album and I'm fine with it, but I honestly feel like this was the weakest overall episode this season IMO. However I think this whole season basically pantses S2-S3.
I'm glad we can see the pathetic bitch wieners of those seasons revealed with time

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Jesus the Nazarene is The Word Made Flesh and His Passion is The Greatest Story Ever Told. He came not to judge the world but to save it, through his blood. It was all tightly plotted in addition to the metacommentary

Android Blues posted:

I think the joke was also "multiple beloved long-running shows had a twist ending where they seeded a bunch of mysterious plot threads, built it up like they were all going to interact climactically, and then revealed it was an allegory for Christianity all along". Storylord's reaction is that of a fan who sees that their favourite show has a stupid, nonsensical, cliched "it was all a religious allegory" twist ending and gets huffy about it.
Sure, but if Lost is one of those you're counting lol at being surprised the show about religion had an ending with the same amount of religion in it.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking forward to hearing people say it's incredibly improved over the first season, and then still ignoring it until I have three seasons to watch all at once when I'm in my mid-30's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It feels pretty subtly built into the character. Until The Council of Ricks I wouldn't have particularly drawn out the Reed Richards influences and I still don't think of him in those terms, but perhaps that's me discounting Marvel in my personal life