Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megaspel posted:

I think it's more likely that Rick probably left his family to go on adventures with himself, completely selfishly, and then only later attempted reconnecting with whatever resemblance of a family he now had once he found himself unfulfilled by scifi action rigmarole.

Why Rick was ever married or a parent in the first place is the question I have. There's gotta be a weirder, more hosed up situation there from day 1.

My lovely fanfic: Rick's original wife was also an amoral genius, but something happened between them and he self-medicated by banging a dumber multiverse doppelgänger of her. Then he dipped when he realized the doppelgänger wasn't as interesting, but Beth had already been born.

Or, Rick just needed a daughter for Morty to exist because of determinist time travel shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Pakled posted:

...I don't know for sure but it seems like McD's could run into copyright issues with bringing back the sauce, even under a different name.

I'd like to say it'd be crazy for Disney to assert copyright on the premise of Szechuan sauce, but apparently their IP lawyers are demonic sorcerers. So maybe, yeah.

Somehow, I don't see McDonald's being compelled by nerds to launch a product because an Adult Swim show referenced it. But I guess popular outcry salvaged the Shamrock Shake, so crazier things have happened. I wouldn't be surprised if that product still exists in some foreign market.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

parallelodad posted:

Yeah but I don't think the "Morty waves" have anything to do with his intellect. He's as competent as any other non-Rick earthling.

Yeah, Morty seems more with it than most people in the universe of the show. He's just an insecure kid with average intelligence and kind of lovely self-esteem. Rick berating him for being an idiot is just Rick being an abusive dick.

Jerry's the one who's barely functional. It's not just that he's a spineless, conviction-less worm-person, he's also flat-out stupid. The simulation episode alone makes this clear.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Morty is in high school, but his math class (that he's struggling with) is at a first grade level.

Has that been in general? I can only think of the scammer aliens episode where it was ridiculously elementary school math. And that was a lovely simulation. And wasn't even Morty.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

SatansOnion posted:

(while pretending to be Jerry, who incidentally loves licking big hairy sweaty ballsacks).

That scene has one of my favorite line deliveries. "Uhhhh....ok."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I will do this and refuse to relax.

Zinjnok posted:

The central finite curve is just the scale Evil Rick/Morty used to grade the majority of Ricks. It doesn't restrict the number of overall Ricks to be less than infinite.

I thought it did, in that it loosely defined the potential for some variation of the universe to have a Rick in it. As in, if you could numerically describe different realities and plot them, there'd be clear liminal points at the beginning and end of some curve where the likelihood of a Rick approaches 0. And I guess that could either be because of something mundane like Rick's parents never met, or because of massive phenomena like Earth-life evolving radically differently or the planet or solar system not forming the same way.

The esoteric science thing I wonder about is Time. All these Ricks exist more or less contemporary to each other in spacetime, as far as I'm aware. Contextual to each universe, Rick was more or less born at a set point. But what if there is a whole range of universes where, due to random variation, Earth-life evolved humanity millions of years earlier or later? Maybe some ancient version of Rick traveled to C-137 and found the Cretaceous, and a far future one will find Dolphin-world.

I guess "A Rickle in Time" is the only episode that directly addresses time travel.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, they tend to intentionally avoid it to avoid coming too close to BTTF.

I can see this, but also it'd be hilarious to see Rick not give a gently caress about temporal prime directive bullshit and just gently caress up the past because he doesn't care.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's exactly as many Ricks as there needs to be to suit the purposes of comedy and plot

I mean, sure, it's fiction. But at that point, why discuss anything? "I loled at the last Rick and Morty. Did you lol? [Page 2 of 2]"

My theory on Jerry and Beth: "he stuck around." Jerry is Rick's antithesis, not just because he's unambitious and stupid, but because he's extremely forthcoming with validation and easily controlled. Pregnant teenage Beth probably liked that because Jerry would never, ever do to Summer what Rick did to her.

The fact Jerry is lovely and a bad match is a realization she's had since, but ~17 years ago she probably lacked that clarity. And sunk cost is a hell of a thing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Jerry... yeah cheating on Beth with Sleepy Gary is probably the worst thing he's done on the show... except maybe locking Beth out of the car from the stab hobo.

Sleepy Gary cheated on Beth in that scenario, I thought. Wasn't Sleepy Gary Beth's husband instead, in their parasite memory?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It's essentially a Fermi paradox argument. Regardless of what the incidence of Ricks in the multiverse might be objectively, the likelihood that Rick C-137 will stumble upon some specific permutation is low.

There could be literally infinite Ricks, or a finite but extremely large number, but you're still constrained by the logistical challenge of finding them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I saw Michael Cera in some youtube thing and he's old now, it hit hard

He looks like an adult man his age, just not a particularly handsome one. Pretty much like Macauley Culkin or Haley Joel Osment, to slightly differing effect.

It's mostly a testament to the black magic the Harry Potter casting team performed. All of those child actors aged into beautiful adults. Even Neville. *Especially* Neville. How the gently caress did they pull that off?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

But the truth is already out there, and I think the family's gonna wind up back together somehow.

I'm guessing Jerry and Beth will wind up back together without Rick doing anything at all. Beth's resentment of Jerry mostly came from the belief that he was "holding her back" or ruined her chance for greatness or whatever. But now that he's gone, it seems like Beth's not any stronger or happier or more fulfilled...her life is not actually any better, and may actually be worse, so clearly Jerry wasn't actually the thing holding her back.

And, you know, Jerry's a spineless idiot turd, but he's unchallenging and supportive. Which Rick pretty much never is.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Its Rinaldo posted:

While a fair point I was mostly referring to Jerry's willingness to deliberately prioritize his own physical well being over his loved onesones which is kinda something a parent shouldn't do generally

I don't think anyone's saying he's a legitimately great parent, just a way more invested one than Beth and certainly Rick.

He hid from an insane hobo and left Beth to fend for herself, but he didn't get day-drunk off wine and then accidentally bash his daughter in the face with the bottle. So that's something.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rick clearly actually believes in God when it comes down to it, hence the "Rickle in Time" episode. He's just more invested in bolstering his specific brand of nihilism when he feels in control of a situation.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

He's absolutely a spiteful, lovely manchild. But he's also an interesting creative voice. You don't have to like him to watch Rick and Morty. I'm sure most writers and directors I like would seem like dicks in actual life...Kubrick was a notoriously abusive piece of poo poo to his cast and crew, but he made good movies. Mel Gibson is a racist scumbag, but Apocalypto is pretty great.

Though I refuse to watch Woody Allen media, so clearly I have some limit for how lovely a human being can be after which I reject their art.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Nothing offends the bourgeoisie like narratives of exceptional genius men whose ambitions are tempered by a nuclear family unit.

Though I guess Rick is technically Latino.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

Yup. Kid who got by on being shocking who kept getting rewarded for it and never had to grow up.

Also a physically abusive pedophile.

The two things are connected in my mind.

He seems locked into the maturity level of a 14-year-old. But also, full of a kind of misogynist venom that I can only assume comes from the same period of life. I'm sure he was a lovely edgelord teen, but it wasn't girls in his peer group who rewarded him for it. There were probably a lot of Jessicas, unrequited popular girl crushes and what-not. But now, he's rich and famous...and still fixated on teen girls like he wants to correct that experience and feel sexually powerful.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Eiba posted:

But if the entirety of the argument for canceling the show is "horrible Roiland vibes", that's a weak enough argument that even the livelihoods of the people making this show easily outweighs it.

I agree with this. Justin Roiland is a lovely creep and it's hard to like things he's involved with knowing that. But he got fired, and "wacky cartoon about nihilist Doc Brown" is a larger project than him. And at this point, it's one I associate more with Dan Harmon's relentless self-awareness than with Roiland's 2000's edgelord humor.

Maybe it's just a form of outrage fatigue at this point, but the poison pill philosophy that a lot of people bring to these discussions has started to feel tedious. Justin Roiland is a piece of poo poo who's rightfully being canceled. But media is a collaborative effort. It's just not realistic to stick to this auteur sense that one lovely guy has irreconcilably tainted this thing made by many, many hands even after he's been cut loose.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Or his girlfriend just likes weird boots? Seems like a strange assumption to make without further context

Or she wants to cosplay as Harley Quinn of her own accord. I agree that it’s uncomfortable as hell to sexualize a character whose story is centered on domestic abuse, but she’s an extremely popular character and not just with horny men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sockser posted:

I generally like the new VA for Korvo, but he doesn't have the same 'voice' as he used to, in the literary sense. Felt like a different character completely to me.

Yeah, he feels remarkably different for reasons beyond the voice. But I’m good with it, because Korvo was basically just low-rent Rick in voice and character before.