Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I'm kinda shocked this hasn't been the norm before now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Funkmaster General posted:

We also still don't know if C-137 is the universe the show started in (and got Cronenburg'd), or if it is the one they are currently in, who's original Rick and Morty are dead.

Also given the body-jumping in the premiere, we're not following the original Rick's body now anyway. I wonder if that'll come up in a situation where he can now be scanned and not physically register as C-137 Rick.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Coughing Hobo posted:

Pretty sure the only ones that would care which Rick he is are the Council of Ricks, and they're not exactly a thing anymore.

What I really hope for is that in at least one of the body jumps he took his six years of improv training back :ohdear:

Ehh I'm sure there are plenty of bounty hunters and wronged planets in the multiverse looking for him specifically.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gorilla Salad posted:

So what's up with the wind whispering "loser" at Jerry each episode?
It's only happened in this one episode. It's, y'know, a joke.

taqueso posted:

I am holding on to the unrealistic hope that they showed the ep on April fools because they somehow had an extra episode.
I thought they said a while ago that there were more episodes this season than the previous ones. :confused:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gorilla Salad posted:

Twice in the second episode.

First when he goes to get his stuff at the house, and second in the after credits bit with the wolf.
Read my post again:

sticklefifer posted:

It's only happened in this one episode.
In response to your comment about it happening "each episode".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Goddamn that was great. I thought I recognized that piano tune, and then actually shouted out YES when the beat and the vocals kicked in. Thank you, continuity gods.

Even more than the reveal I can't believe how many minor stories they weaved together so well. It felt like the R&M version of 22 Short Films About Springfield.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't think there's that much to it since Harmon's podcast said they're still negotiating, but it IS fun to watch nerd culture sites and R&M fanboys flip the gently caress out about 'news' from what amounted to Harmon trolling an entitled douchebag on Twitter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Everything in the Snake language just being spelled "SSSSS" was great, and Snake Hitler's balcony overflowing with corpses was a perfect sight gag - because of COURSE everyone travels back in time to kill Hitler, so a ton of them would arrive at the same time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

So Summer hangs out with the girl with the "stripper titties" who Brad(?) left her for? Maybe they just grabbed a couple of character sheets and didn't think about it.

Motherfucker posted:

she IS also a teenager.
For real, my sister and another girl were alternately best friends and worst enemies all through high school, depending on the month.

Excelzior posted:

I liked Snitler, Snabraham Lincoln and the Snerminator
gently caress, what would the snake planet version of Abradolph Lincler be like?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was this the first episode of the season to have a clip from the intro theme in it? It was the scene with that weird fleshy terminator thing that Beth stomped on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I got a really unexpected laugh out of the one character saying "I AM THE CONCEPT OF TIME" apropos of nothing.

Skippy McPants posted:

Decent episode, but one I feel won't do as well on a rewatch once you know the gimmick going in. I do appreciate that they're continuing to mix it up with their anthology framing devices.
I rewatched it after seeing the post-credits scene explaining the concept, and it actually made the episode better because I could track the logic of it a lot more now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: or the thing that is off-theme enough to get them back into the train is passing the bechdel test
It's also completely on-brand for R&M to present the Bechdel Test in a way that cynically highlights one of its biggest issues: that it doesn't require any sort of actual quality because it's a binary pass/fail system.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Evil Morty is 100% a mystery box, from his first appearance, he's exactly the equivalent of the hatch or the others in lost, I really don't know why you guys are so obssesed with correcting the minuatiae of this thread's understanding of the term 'mystery box' while it is obvious that what I and others are referring to as "introducing an element to the story in a manner which implies that it will get revisited in a significant manner and invites audience speculation", Evil Morty is clearly that, and specifically Dan reffered to Evil Morty as something that creates the wrong relationship between the audience and the canon, people see the Evil Morty episode and due to artistic and stylistic decisions they begin watching the entire run looking for clues about the Origin Story of Evil Morty and Do You Guys This He Is the Original Morty C-132?? OMG??? - and I'm not making this up, look at this thread from past years, the identity of Evil Morty is actually a hotly debated topic;

Didn't Dan Harmon go on record in like season 2 or so, saying there's an obscure plot unfolding in the background for the more eagle-eyed viewers? So of course there's a subset of the fans obsessed with it. I almost wonder if Harmon making fun of it could also be him throwing people off the scent. That, or he had a plan but he's since abandoned it. Either would be on brand for him.

On another note, a little sight gag in the animation that got a laugh out of me was when Story Lord did a backflip to impress them, but did a realistic little wobble after he landed on his feet like he was regaining his balance. The level of attention to minor details in this show is really great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s why I love this episode. They basically said “maybe we will have a plot, maybe we won’t, it’s entirely malleable and at our whims and we just don’t give a gently caress what you think” which frees them up to go in any direction but keeps the door open for them to bring back whoever they want.

It puts the final cap on it, but to be fair they've also set up infinite possibilities for plot threads anyway. You can go anywhere and do anything, and it doesn't matter which alternate universe you're following. I think things like the cracks in the driveway are the only indication we're even watching the same family, but that could've happened in any number of universes so it literally doesn't matter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That felt like a season 1 episode. Glad to see they can still pull that off. Everything is high concept in this show, but not everything has to be super high concept.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Did the non-wall background of SO's 7th episode follow any actual narrative, or was the joke that we have no idea how a bear got in their house? I wasn't watching the background closely in that one.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This episode does take off both Click and The Prestige, but the thing it reminded me most of was the David Ives one-act play Sure Thing.

Though this version just has the time-resetting bell as a disembodied sound. In the version I saw live years ago, the bell was on the table, and whichever character gave a bad answer the other character would ring it for the reset.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Something hit me about the actual design of the controller, and how it really highlights a major character trait of both Rick and Morty in this episode: How careless Rick is as an inventor, and how careless Morty is when he's allowed to get what he wants.

Rick: The fact that it's literally just two buttons next to each other leaves massive room for human error. The remote has all these dark, horrific, nihilistic implications for the universe, and yet there's zero failsafe and zero user recognition, and there's only one save state. There's not even a cover over the buttons. Anyone could use that thing if they found it (like Jerry did). It's literally just quicksave/quickload. We constantly see this with Rick's inventions. The butter-passing robot is a tamer example of this: One single, simple purpose, but because he has to play god, he makes it sentient enough to be self-aware and ashamed of its existence.

Morty: He just sort of nonchalantly stuffed this immensely powerful device in his backpack. He didn't protect it, put it in a case or lock it up, and left it out in the open (again, where Jerry could use it). He also used it completely for his own gain; he may have done a redo version where he helped out after that in some cases, but for the most part his actions were selfish and manipulative. We've already seen a couple times this season alone (the future-telling crystals, the dragon) that Morty hasn't considered other people as long as he gets what he wants.

A lot of the time, the traits we hate about others are things we hate about ourselves. Both of them are extremely irresponsible when it comes to screwing with reality for their own gain, and maybe that's why Rick and Morty kinda hate each other.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm personally a fan of Rick simultaneously saying things like "Futurama already did this, I don't copy ideas because I'm not a hack" and "that's right, Morty I loving Prestiged you." I hope it never gets addressed.

I mean, he also has a box literally labeled "TIME TRAVEL STUFF" in the garage while constantly bashing time travel as a plot device.

Episodes like this kind of make me see where Evil Morty could come from, and why he was never really on our Rick's radar. Disenfranchised current Morty + time travel stuff + knowledge of the Citadel + increasingly nihilistic view of all other Ricks and Mortys. Obviously the Story Train episode is a signpost of "we'll only get to this stuff if we feel like it someday" but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty to draw from if they decide to.

Side note: Anyone else notice that the plane crash victims were dressed like the main South Park cast?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There was also the NAACP and someone with a sign saying "That's OUR word!", so you can do the math on that one.

The companion podcast for this episode says Morty's girlfriend was patterned after the director's fiancee, "so you could call her Carrie, I guess."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, Rick attacks Morty for not asking how the Reset remote worked, but when he gave it to him he responded to enquiry with "do you want to know how it works or do you want to have FUN?" and it's not unreasonable for Morty to think everything just rolls back without consequences.

Sure, but don't forget this whole thing spawned out of Morty hounding Rick for not doing any of "MY ideas", all of which have routinely had terrible consequences (all the way back to the Meeseeks episode in S1 where Morty was in charge for the first time), yet Morty still bitches about it. Rick even reminds him on the way home from the acid vat how terribly his dragon worked out. So it makes sense that Rick would be fed up by now, and want to teach him an extreme lesson that he can't ignore anymore. "The vat of acid is good" not just because Rick is exceptionally petty, it's "good" because the alternative is Morty's horrible world-breaking poo poo that endangers everyone.

This is the same kid who in the season premiere JUST went all Tetsuo, straight up murdered a bunch of soldiers with future-telling crystals that Rick repeatedly told him not to use, got out of a multiple homicide charge by manipulating a judge using her dead husband, AND repeatedly refused to clone a dead Rick to fix the problem after Morty got him killed, all because he saw a vision that he might get to bang his crush when he's an old man. Morty knows there are consequences, he just doesn't care when it benefits him. Maybe he will now, if they use this episode for character continuity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Strobe posted:

Ah yes, the abuse victim should silently support their abuser because the victim has also shown poor judgement in the past. This is clearly the victim's fault, and not at all another way for the abuser to exert power over the victim.

Pull up, thread, Jesus Christ

That is some Dhalsim levels of reaching. Don't be a shithead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

shame on an IGA posted:

There was another one along these lines a few weeks ago, what the hell did Brendan Small do to them

Didn't they kiss and make up? I thought he was going to perform at some AS sponsored festival until Covid cancelled all plans forever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Entertainment is created by people in charge of a whole staff of other people. Yes, those people put a lot of thought and nuance into their art. Writers rooms have lengthy discussions about it and it's not just wackadoo random nonsense they shovel out to the masses for a quick buck. People who say otherwise have no idea how the process of creating media works. People who enjoy that media interpret it, and that's not weird. It gets weird when people are lovely about it and use it in real life to hurt and demonize others, but discussing it isn't.

On-topic: I like how Summer called Rick a fuckboi and Jerry immediately mistook the slang and called him a "fuckguy" instead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Am I too late for the "list every time-stopping sci-fi ever" conversation? Because there was an 80s sitcom called Out of This World where the main girl's absentee father (voiced by Burt Reynolds) was an alien, and she could stop time by touching her index fingertips together. She exploited the poo poo out of that power for like 4 seasons.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

beanieson posted:

Didn’t we see explicitly in like season 2 that rick and morty left behind their original reality after everyone got turned into horrible cronenberg mutants?

Yeah, I mean, neither Beth in this episode is Rick's actual daughter anyway. I'm pretty sure the Rick who is her real father is dead in their current universe.

What's interesting is that they prop up multiverse theory, but we've never seen an alternate universe where Rick has a different family. Odds are there are many universes where he had a son instead, or kids at a different time, no kids at all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Tales from the Citadel has the Simple Rick's commercial where they mention a "central finite curve". I'm assuming that this is describing a set of multiverses where each one is very similar to the one next to it but they get more and more different as you move out. Maybe there are other citadels out there that cater to other, different, configurations of Ricks and Mortys, or maybe there are even ones that are Ricks and Summers. The reason why what we see is so similar to the main character's situation is because Rick's portal gun sticks near this set of universes.

Yeah, true. Though I can see an alternate universe story where Rick's son marries a loser woman, has an older grandson and younger granddaughter, and then Rick has to explain to Morty why he can't bang the hot girl alternate version of himself.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

I typically watch every episode twice, first as a fan and 2nd as a Fan, but I'm about to hit my 4th on this one and I'm still excited, I love this episode. Rick's face when he realizes he has to "do a Star Wars" is so funny oh my god.

I guarantee you by the final season they'll have one episode where they bring all the loose ends and characters together at once just to tie everything up, and Rick will say "Fuuuuuuuck we're doing an Avengers Endgame, aren't we."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If you enjoy Rick & Morty you'll probably enjoy Zim.

Gir is the worst of the "lol monkeycheese" humour but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Gir was malfunctioning, so it never came off as random for the sake of random for me. I never really got the sentiment that Vasquez's humor was random overall. There was Happy Noodle Boy, but that was clearly satire, written and drawn poorly on purpose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Come to think of it, it's pretty funny and totally on-brand that the current Smith family makeup might be wrong-universe Jerry, married to a clone of Beth, raising an alternate version of their dead son who's buried in the backyard, with a family patriarch who's not only an alternate universe version who's dead and buried, but has since repeatedly respawned himself into other clone bodies.

To my knowledge, that universe's Summer seems to be the only "original" in the family. No wonder she does all the drugs now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

But Space Beth seems to get along fine without him and she's the Beth that would need protection the most!

For all we know she has a Space Summer with her, but she just plays the loner shtick like her dad.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dan Harmon doesn't work on Solar Opposites.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed the subversion of A/B plot expectations. I really thought Morty's thing with the wine was going to be a minor plot point but it ended up being the entire A-plot, where they used Mr. Nimbus just sparingly enough for me to want to see him again someday.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm actually wondering which came first in the writing process, the Highlander joke in the episode or the use of the Queen song in the post-credits.

edit: Just realized the gag with the passwords. The first time was 80085, and Beth says "Kind of expected a funnier password." Then when they had to hide from the other one, his password was 8==D

Clone Rick's passwords are just boobs and dicks.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I guess the pathos for Morty didn't land as well with me since he's been responsible for the deaths of thousands in various dimensions and planets, as well as straight up murdering her handlers just because he wanted to get laid. I was wondering why he couldn't just unsummon her when she became problematic though. They made a reference to her materializing by the will of the 'kids', but I guess they - and by extension Captain Planet - never explained where she "goes" when not summoned.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

People keep saying jokes but they forget that you can be funny without jokes.

Rick and summers rear end eating face is really funny. As is the seals eating the guy. And of course once again, Morty’s massacre
I laughed at Morty's repeated angry slamming of the door when he stormed out too. And all of Planetina's hacky puns about her powers, because that's exactly how 80s cartoons were written.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, I wonder what happened to the Heart Kid? Did they the other Planeteers kill him off because he wouldn't go along with their plan to exploit Planetina?
I think the absence of Heart was deliberate because then it's not just satire, it's straight up the thing they're parodying. Copyright can skirt something based on the 4 natural elements, but that 5th power was pretty unique to Captain Planet (or, I guess, The Fifth Element). Also, you could argue that Morty was Heart since he "completed" her.

Planetina should show up again dating Mr. Nimbus. They'd be a fun couple.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

doingitwrong posted:

Part of why Morty's teenage angst first love at 14 fell kind of flat with me (and Beth's resistance to an older woman) is that Raising Gazorpazorp & Rest and Ricklaxation episodes already happened.
On top of that, the future-predicting forehead crystal episode had him slaughter a bunch of people to manipulate reality just for the potential chance at getting with Jessica when they're both older, which was out of context anyway. Before that he trashed his entire home reality by turning everyone into horrific mutants because he tried to force his crush to love him. Granted Rick provided the means for those things, but those creepy ideas come from Morty. He's already a total monster who puts getting laid over anything else, so it's hard to feel empathy when he dumps a girl for her violent big picture ideals. If they'd included a moment of self-reflection, fine, but instead they went with "but I loved her :qq:"

Sockser posted:

Tbh there’s like one joke that they could run with Heart and nothing else to do with them and the character probably just felt superfluous to the flow of the episode and got cut in the boarding phase
Is the one joke with Heart that the ring holder is Ann Wilson?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I apparently saw episode 7 first, so I chalked up all the talk about the incest space baby to the show having a lot of "remember that wacky random adventure we had" things they never explain, like when they were crushing mermaid puss.

It's actually kind of funnier without context.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like when the show does the kind of dialogue that builds on itself, so I got several laughs out of every time the Cenobites yelled out the logic behind their pleasure/pain dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Reddit's format of expanding conversations works in theory, but it makes overall conversation about a topic impossible because it just makes every topic Oops All Tangents. I've never liked it. Linear threads 4 lyfe.

This episode definitely had jokes, but it feels like they deliberately made the jokes-per-page count lower in lieu of making the premise and story so relentlessly bonkers to the point where that's the funny part and you don't even need to pepper it up with quips.