Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That breaking bad catch is really good. Here's what I don't get, why is this morty special, when the rest of the family isn't? Does Rick just not know about his cronenberg hunger games family, or does he not care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh boy here I go, shitposting again!

Ooh wee!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I love that it's actually Morty that knocks everything out of sync.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Huzanko posted:

Actually, you're wrong and the episode was great.

Actually, he's right and he wasn't saying anything bad about the episode. And what he said is what you are saying right above this post. :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Does Jessica ever appear on the Citadel? You would think in infinite realities at least one Morty gets with her.

Just her photo in all the morty lockers

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Meeseeks with contradictory tasks... eventually we are just rewriting bits from I, Robot without the 3 laws. But that's ok, meeseeks owns

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ikanreed posted:

"Wouldn't it be cool if this clearly one-off absurdist joke was actually world building"

Or how fans ruin everything

Nah I think he was just making a joke about how if we can't understand them, how do they implement plans?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Rick was too affectionate to Beth at the very end to know it's a clone, so he's not in on it.

I can't wait for the season 4 episode where Beth's grandma dies and Beth travels to Chicago only to encounter the thousands of other beth clones and real beth all travelling to the same funeral.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

Look at this jabroni needing consensus

EL OH EL

You can't read.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

OmegaBR posted:

As if Summer forcing him to admit he's a "closet racist, sexist beta male" wasn't cheap and terrible. Or Beth visiting her childhood fantasy land only for a brief few moments so she could realize she's just like her dad and gleefully slaughter the boy she abandoned there, justified by the idea that she's not evil but smart, didn't read like someone's bad fanfiction.

Why is someone owning their flaws "cheap"?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dexo posted:

The basic plots and themes of Rick and Morty aren't that hard to understand jfc

There are references that kids won't likely get the full context of, but cartoons have always had references like that.

Finger prints!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This was stupidly amazing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

"Every Rick has a vat" Might be my new favorite line in all of television
:hai:

I love the implications of lots of Morty's having the device. Infinity goes both ways. There are infinite wild variants and infinite nearly identical morty's next door to murder and replace.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 22, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

On-topic: I like how Summer called Rick a fuckboi and Jerry immediately mistook the slang and called him a "fuckguy" instead.

That was probably my favorite joke of the episode

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The train was a bit weird for me but the rest of this has been insanely cool.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The Wall is too derivative to work on its own. It feels powerful and unique because it’s so masterfully juxtaposed to foil the goofy antics of the aliens. 4 hours of The Wall, a new animated Sci-Fi prestige drama from Hulu, would run out of steam immediately.

Yeah comedy sci-fi high concept woo woo and an incidental dystopian nightmare are a good combo, I would never eat a jar of just the cheesish filling.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rick said the reasons ricks need mortys is a sort of psychic camoflage

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

Not gonna lie, the lack of commentary on the last season kinda sucked the wind out of my sails

Do you mean in this thread or like DVD commentary?

I recently rewatched most of season 4 to celebrate the Emmy. Skipped the train episode because I didn't really like i at all, but I might circle back.

I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the dragon episode on rewatch. It's a beautiful weird mashup of genre with modern social norms. I want to say allegory but it and I think it was too on point for that word to apply.

Going into the Heist knowing the twist helped make it more bearable to rewatch as well.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Apparently Bitcoin has basically undone all the conservation efforts of solar energy, like the amount of resources consumed by mining equipment eclipses the resources we’ve saved with Solar energy.

That’s a lol

I thought I read that it was renewables not just solar but yeah. Jevon's paradox is absolutely loving us

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

Okay that has to be my favorite episode.

Yeaaaaaaa. This was an amazing story. Clones > Multiversals

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 28, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Planeteers vs rolling coal is the story we never knew we'd need

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

They forgot Heart. I don't know why I find that funny, but I do.

I assumed this was purely for distancing her from the source material, since she has a big heart right on her uniform.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I was genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed slutdragons when I rewatched it. they really made the weird genre mashup work

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Fighting Sperm might be the worst episode of the show but everything about this E7 nonsense is absolutely top tier. More of the kind of completely insane genre mashup I thought slutdragons did well, but also with actual funny jokes. By far my favorite gag is Rick's gun that looks like a Rick and as it rapid fires lasers it says "bangbangbangbang..." in his voice the voiceovarians

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Episode probably saved the season after that dire sperm/voltron stretch.

Voltron is next. I think the gap between it being born and when it was supposed to appear again may help its appearance's humor.

Obviously, someone got confused when told "next episode is incest baby" leading to it getting posted early.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
10 minutes of sperm, 15 minutes of CHUDs could have worked

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Finale prediction:murderous bird step-sister/aunt

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's just a standard defensive reaction

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yes. Absolutely

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are noth perfectly reasonable sci-fi nonsense outcomes and can be used as is funnier.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Jerry and his mother, alone together at the heat death of the universe, longing to die but unable to bring themselves to end the curse.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I don't know, I've been increasingly certain that sci fi is fundamentally and inextricably derived from hosed up sexual hangups

All art, really. :okpos:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Strictly speaking I would not count Naruto, that was weird genetic engineering or something not actual sexual activity

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ups_rail posted:

so wait what did the dinosaurs do again?

Engaged in the paradox of tolerance and were too Lib to defend themselves from tbe Fash.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't worry, no one can make you agree with the message that is obviously there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's a criticism of being afraid to wield power for good

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Okay, I've been thinking about this episode a lot, and there's one thing I still don't get.

Those mummy jokes made no loving sense, right?

:thejoke:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

HorseLord posted:

I think it's interesting that so many people in this thread have decided that this episode has a reactionary political message.

The cheery music montage of paradise being dismantled, people going back to work lovely jobs and crime going through the roof is not advocacy of human suffering, it's sarcasm. Rick and the President are not portrayed as heroic banishers of the communist dinosaur menace, but as assholes ruining a good thing on purpose out of pettiness. The entire show is driven by the comic absurdity of people doing bad things.

I can't even begin to agree with the notion that being handed "paradise" is a good thing, so lmao at how self righteous about all the wrong thinkers this gets

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Dissatisfaction with an unearned Paradise is a loving ancient trope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think it's communism when magic space dinosaurs give you everything and capitalism when they go away.

That seems like a pretty bad read on a very common trope in sci-fi