Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
In the S1E1 rant, Rick still has to keep up appearances for Beth - he has to make it look like these scifi adventures are good for Morty's development, and Morty's gonna keep his mouth shut if he knows what's good for him. Morty is just a jabbering mess so he doesn't see the rant directly.

In this new S3E1 rant, Rick doesn't need any pretense anymore. He risked everything to get rid of literally everyone in his way, and he won - no more Council, no more government, no more Jerry. It doesn't even matter now if Morty tells Beth about this because Rick's a hero. This is Rick Triumphant, Rick who gets everything he wants whenever he wants. And he wants Szechuan sauce! It doesn't matter how trivial it is, he wants it and he's the king now and everything in the whole universe has bent towards what Rick wants. But now Morty is seeing directly what kind of person Rick is. Morty who 3 seasons ago was basically a helpless victim dragged through episodes against his will and is now someone who actually tried to murder Rick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The dinosaurs really hosed up by giving everyone a copy of Jerry's book "Never Trying Never Fails" so they could learn to just accept their ennui rather than helping them find new ways to add meaning in their lives. I guess their stance was that they were going to try to help people adapt to the course they had chosen for themselves (and people very clearly weren't going to try and better themselves) rather than impose a course on them, but the episode pretty much skipped past all that expository stuff.

What to DO with yourself once you're not struggling is a big blind spot with the dinos, like thay one guy in the Q&A who asked "What do I do with my suicidal feelings" and got a dismissive "Don't do that"

Probably better not to read too deeply into the political or neoliberal interpretation, and instead consider it a parallel to Rick saying he "has a process" for getting his own gun repaired - the process is basically ignore the problem until he's bothered enough to fix it out of mostly spite. That'll be humanity's process too - don't just fix it for us/hand us a portal pistol, we'll loving fix global warming when the annoyance builds up and not a moment beforehand. And yeah all the criticism is right and society could easily just do it this moment but we have a process.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, something that would knock Rick off his healthy mindset wagon and have him backslide. Knowing he never even got a little healthy in the first place is a real punch in the gut.

Also I feel for robot Rick trying to maintain cheer with the family while also being a robot. "I genuinely love and care deeply about everyone here ... because I'm programmed to 😥."