Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

Airbags deploy with far more force than you might imagine. There are documented cases of children in improperly situated car seats being entirely decapitated. That it managed to break enough skin to cause a LITTLE bleeding isn't at all surprising.

Yeah, I had one go off and blood was gushing from my nose and I had several cuts on my head, not sure if it was the glass or the airbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

RedSpider posted:

How in the gently caress do you start liking Chuck at the end of season 3? He's a mentally piece of poo poo that is costing HHM large sums of money and its reputation. Howard was completely rational when he told Chuck to quit. It's actually Howard that is becoming an interesting character.

I can see him being more sympathetic the more you understand his condition

He's still unhinged and has been a great source of stress for his loved ones, but his clinical illness may be to blame for his antagonism towards Jimmy (even though he held resentment before his "EHS"). Worse, he's actually right about most of his accusations leveled at Jimmy, but they only bolster the argument that he is a complete whackjob, because nobody trusts him anymore.

Kim's moral compass actually allows her to feel guilty about it too, since she's completely in the know, and is also brilliant. But disloyalty is gross to average people, so watching Chuck act maliciously towards someone who has been there for him for the better part of two years is treacherous in most people's eyes.

At this point, Chuck is mostly a danger to himself. He's probably going to burn his own house down

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The thing I can't forgive Chuck for is making Hamlin and Jimmy fight each other. He made a situation that was more stressful to his partner and brother than it was to him. He's a weak rear end in a top hat.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Michael McKean, along with the writing, have done an excellent job at portraying his condition. Without that combination it would be almost impossible to feel bad for Chuck.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

socialsecurity posted:

Have you forgotten how readily Saul suggests having multiple people murdered over the course of Breaking Bad, while he is not killing them with his bare hands he definitely is not even close being a innocent or good person.

Kill? Friend, he suggested for them to go to Belize. That is not killing. :colbert:

(but yeah I forgot how many times Saul suggested that)

e:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, I had one go off and blood was gushing from my nose and I had several cuts on my head, not sure if it was the glass or the airbag.

I got into a bad accident when I was 22 and the worst injury I sustained was from the airbag deployment. It chipped two teeth and busted my nose and brow open which caused me to freak the hell out because disorientation and blood are a bad combination.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 15, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Chuck is an irredeemable shitheel and liking him now is akin to liking Hitler in April of 1945.

To be fair, that is when he killed Hitler.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

Kill? Friend, he suggested for them to go to Belize. That is not killing. :colbert:

(but yeah I forgot how many times Saul suggested that)

At least 3. Badger when he got picked up, then both Hank and Jesse (I think?) in season 5.

When they're paying off the fallguy to go to jail as 'Heisenburg' so Badger can plead out, he even tells Walt something like "morality is expensive". I have a bad feeling about his Sandpiper payout :ohdear:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I don't think Chuck is the good guy in all of this, but I absolutely am eager to see the diabolical lengths he'll go to to screw over Howard and HHM with his super lawyer skills at maximum effectiveness.

However, I also have a feeling he'll actually just end up self-imploding completely by the end of next episode because he'll go too far too fast in trying overcome his fear of electricity.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Help Im Alive posted:

Can you really be pissed at your lawyer for getting into a car crash

With no other party being involved in the crash?
I could see how it can be construed as negligence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mcbexx posted:

With no other party being involved in the crash?
I could see how it can be construed as negligence.

Lie and say there was another party but they fled the scene.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Lie and say there was another party but they fled the scene.
Crashin' Kim? I don't think so.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Saw this on another forum I'm on this morning...

quote:

Did anyone get the point of the bit with the car getting stuck at the oil field?

quote:

I saw it as 'nearly having a car disaster' ...
Yes, that scene was literally in-your-face foreshadowing about an imminent car crash. :saddowns: Maybe Kim needed to look down the camera lens and say "gee whizz I sure am stressed at the moment".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

Saw this on another forum I'm on this morning...

Yes, that scene was literally in-your-face foreshadowing about an imminent car crash. :saddowns: Maybe Kim needed to look down the camera lens and say "gee whizz I sure am stressed at the moment".

It definitely made me think of how alone she is. That scene set up that she can get pretty hosed by just one mistake.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Out of curiosity, did anyone else see the accident coming before Kim even left? I can't tell what foreshadowing was triggering it in my mind, but for some reason during their conversation in the office I immediately guessed she was going to get into a bad accident. I thought it might be worse honestly. I think it was Jimmy mentioning to drive faster, her not sleeping and being so rushed, and her saying to just talk to her later. Not sure really. It just seemed really weird that I almost immediately knew where the scene was going?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm still not convinced that the oil firm would be that pissed at Kim specifically unless he suddenly turn out to be a major jerk. Frustrated and angry in general if they miss the deadline though? Sure. But as I recall, he was facing being screwed by the taxman no matter what before Kim stepped in and proposed a possible way out. Her failing to see that through because she got in a car crash doesn't result in anything that wouldn't have happened anyway if she'd never gotten involved.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It wasn't just a meeting with the oilman. It was a meeting with all the rights-holders to present his proposal to pay damages instead of paying for mineral rights. He's going to be embarrassed in front of the entire group of people that he needs to sign on to the deal. Having wasted their time, even negotiating for mineral rights will be much more difficult.

He's going to be ruined, and rightfully angry.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

One thing that is also different between Saul and Jimmy is that Saul doesn't get his hands dirty. He does try to persuade Walt to have some people murdered. But that's a very hands-off approach. He's a guy who knows a guy who can do the job for you IF that's the job YOU want done.

If someone gets hurt because of something he suggested, it's not really "his fault", the decision lies with his clients, and he just looks the other way.

It's a moral grey area. Dark grey, but... I would be surprised if Saul actually hires anyone to kill anyone during the course of this series.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Its all a misdirect, the crash happens after her meeting and everything is fine

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Kim crashed her car in celebration of a job well done

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kim also could have hired a courier service to deliver all of that paperwork to the meeting so that it would have been there even if she wasn't. The earlier scene where her car gets stuck in the desert is highlighting the fact that her insistence on handling everything herself and refusing to ask for help is pushing the stakes higher and higher for when she eventually screws up.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The rise and fall of honest Jimmy is so heartbreakingly well written, god drat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slashrat posted:

I'm still not convinced that the oil firm would be that pissed at Kim

Pissed or not, the deal is likely not going through.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I guess Jimmy's settlement money, if it goes through, will be used to cover Kim's (medical) bills?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

So I guess Jimmy's settlement money, if it goes through, will be used to cover Kim's (medical) bills?

And I'd be willing to bet that something fucks up with the Sandpiper thing/Irene, and that money doesn't come through... thus causing Jimmy to resort to more illegal means of getting by.

Then, when he's able to practice law (or if he's able to do some sort of early work as Saul Goodman... did we figure out if that's possible?), he'll be the Criminal lawyer we all know.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, the other option I was thinking about, is that Irene drops the suit altogether. This was quite heavily alluded to in Irene's chat with Jimmy, in which she says that she wished that the suit would never have taken place at all.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

oliwan posted:

In what world does a broken arm and some stitches cost a million dollars

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

drunken officeparty posted:

the same world in which a high school chemistry teacher became a drug kingpin to pay for his medical bills

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:america:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hey law people, could Jimmy legally handle the administrative aspects of Kim's work? He wouldn't be practicing law, just helping Francesca make copies and file papers and mail stuff and whatnot

I know a guy whose law license is "inactive". He still does do work for legal firms (administrative, as you put it). He just can't act as a lawyer.

The question for Jimmy would be if he would respect those rules. And this episode clearly shows he does not. I really believe he was illegally practicing law in this episode. He didn't come out and say "in my legal opinion", but that was definitely how he presented himself to former clients.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know a guy whose law license is "inactive". He still does do work for legal firms (administrative, as you put it). He just can't act as a lawyer.

The question for Jimmy would be if he would respect those rules. And this episode clearly shows he does not. I really believe he was illegally practicing law in this episode. He didn't come out and say "in my legal opinion", but that was definitely how he presented himself to former clients.

He actually did remind Irene that he's not a lawyer right now when she asked him for advice.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It shouldn't be a surprise but Jimmy making old ladies cry is just the beginning according to the writer of the episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/allens...y/#2bed1975bb83

quote:

Do you worry about how much goodwill you’ll have lost?

Unfortunately, I think that’s a place where our hands are somewhat tied. We still have a long way to go still. Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad seems fairly dead inside. There’s not a lot of spark of Jimmy. A little in his charisma and his derring do. That sweetness we see in Jimmy seems not just gone but long gone in Saul. We had to start pushing him in that direction and see what are the steps that get him there. What are his intentions? He’s hurting the little old ladies, emotionally, but they’re going to get their settlement, they’re going to get money out of it

It's interesting that the writer refers to Saul as being dead inside.

This is going to be Walt all over again. Imagine what Jimmy is going to do worse than this.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Poque posted:

the same world in which a high school chemistry teacher became a drug kingpin to pay for his medical bills

yah but cancer can actually literally cost millions to treat. you could get a solid gold cast and still not be that much

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

some guy on the bus posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise but Jimmy making old ladies cry is just the beginning according to the writer of the episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/allens...y/#2bed1975bb83

It's interesting that the writer refers to Saul as being dead inside.

This is going to be Walt all over again. Imagine what Jimmy is going to do worse than this.

Yeah I appreciate how the writers separate themselves from their own material and say "Saul is a piece of poo poo" when they made him that way. It's just funny to me.

Maybe all writers do that but this show and BB are the only shows where I've heard the writers talk about the show.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

notthegoatseguy posted:

Gossiping about an old lady behind her back is not practicing law. He was very careful to keep it at personal/social advice.
Also I guess I'm the only one who didn't think what Jimmy did to Irene was all that mean? I mean, her friends are almost certainly going to go back to liking her after she settles, and what he did doesn't just help himself, it helps all of the old people represented by giving them their money and some time to actually spend it before they die.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yah but cancer can actually literally cost millions to treat. you could get a solid gold cast and still not be that much

Also the first season of Breaking Bad does establish both that Walt's insurance isn't very good (he says as much in the pilot to the medic in the Ambulance after his collapse in the car wash), and that they're going out of his insurance network to get him the best treatment available.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Gossiping about an old lady behind her back is not practicing law. He was very careful to keep it at personal/social advice.
Also I guess I'm the only one who didn't think what Jimmy did to Irene was all that mean? I mean, her friends are almost certainly going to go back to liking her after she settles, and what he did doesn't just help himself, it helps all of the old people represented by giving them their money and some time to actually spend it before they die.

Yeah, this is actually how I saw it. Perhaps the end justifies the means?

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

AnoHito posted:

Her friends are nasty jerks, too. If they had financial issues they could've spoken to Irene about it. Giving her the Amish cold shoulder is nearly the least mature way to handle their concerns.

Jimmy is still playing his cons on already corrupt people. He's still an rear end in a top hat, though.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TBeats posted:

Yeah I appreciate how the writers separate themselves from their own material and say "Saul is a piece of poo poo" when they made him that way. It's just funny to me.

Maybe all writers do that but this show and BB are the only shows where I've heard the writers talk about the show.

What?

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Yeah.... TV would be pretty lovely if writers only wrote characters they think are cool and nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Jawdins posted:

Yeah.... TV would be pretty lovely if writers only wrote characters they think are cool and nice.

The writers speak as if they didn't write it. That was my point.

The way they speak about the show they would fit in posting in this thread.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 15, 2017

• Locked thread