Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Chuck: This is about PR.

Hamlin: This is going to be very bad for our image.

Chuck: Did I say PR? I meant Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lotus circle posted:

SAUL.
GOODMAN.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Chuck wasn't expressing his own opinion that it was about PR, he was letting Hamlin know that he knew that's what Hamlin was concerned about.

Yeah I went back and watched that scene again, I misread that line the first time. In light of that though, what do we think Hamlin's opinion of Chuck is right now? Because he clearly had doubts earlier in this season, what with trying to get Chuck to scale back his 24 hour surveillance of the place and having to scale garden fences just to visit the guy. I don't know if he's quite at the point where he's apologizing to Jimmy, or even believes Jimmy's side of the story. But I feel like this might be the tipping point to say "no employee, regardless of skill level, is worth this amount of effort to retain." Chuck walked face first into the rake that Hamlin explicitly pointed out to him before the hearing. Even if this is someone that you have to make some sort of effort to keep, at this point it has to be something like "get psychiatric help on the company's dime, or you're done here."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It was a good episode because we finally got a definite answer to the Chicago sunroof thing.

One little Chicago Sunroof, and suddenly I'm Charles Manson?!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Jimmy needs to start becoming more of a complete scumbag soon? Evidence tampering, bringing in Rebecca, lying to the air force guy, etc. All very shady, uncool stuff, but it's still a far cry from a desk drawer full of burner phones and suggesting people be sent to Belize.

I'm sure it's coming and all, I'm just getting antsy.

Spoilers: We have two upcoming episodes this season titled "Slip" and "Fall". I'm not saying he's going full sleazebag, but I think we're going to be a lot closer to that by the end of the season.

e.: Disclaimer: Speculation based on upcoming episode titles should always be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 11, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I wanna learn how a mild mannered vet became the gateway to multiple underworld channels for people.

Extreme Vetting: Coming to AMC this Fall

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

anime was right posted:

id watch that tbh

its prequels all the way until the end of time.

The Vet is probably my favorite character on the criminal side of things that's been introduced in BCS. Maybe Pryce/Daniel Wormald/Simple Simon the rear end Man edges him out just slightly. But I like how The Vet genuinely seems to enjoy being shady as gently caress.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Guy at the station said he's never seen so many star wipes in a row

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

precision posted:

What was up with Nacho and the sewing machine? A shot of contracted pupils and a total indifference to pain... so he's on heroin.

I think Nacho thought that after getting Tuco out of the way, he'd be free to conduct his business like a businessman rather than a "criminal". Now, especially seeing how Gus conducts himself, he's realizing that Tuco was just a symptom of the real problem: Hector. It's not like he can go to Hector and say "I'm out, I've decided I want to work for my dad now. Good luck with your drug empire." So I think in the sewing machine scene, he's distracted by the fact that he's trapped in a situation where he's now having to compromise his core values.

It's like the speech Mike gives Pryce, "I've known bad cops and good criminals, etc." Nacho doesn't think of himself as the guy who beats the poo poo out of one of his own employees for coming up short the first time, especially after trying to make up the difference out of his own cut of the money. He wants to be a good criminal, and he's realizing that as long as Hector is his boss, that's never going to happen.

Then in the later scene when Hector tries to drag Nacho's Dad into things as well, that's the final straw. At that point, he knows that there's only one way out of this.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

He's not going to do nice commercials for discerning clients. This whole plot point is to bridge the gap between the reasonably good commercials he was making before, to the absolute garbage slide-whistles-and-clipart ones he makes in BB.

"Did you know you have Rights? The Constitution says you do." is one of my all time favorite lines in Breaking Bad. Odenkirk nails the delivery of a guy who is banging out like a dozen of these commercials in an afternoon.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

scuba school sucks posted:

He objectively lied to the court about having a cell phone ("I left it in the car") and then he defended himself against charges of assaulting his brother by hiring Huell to assault his brother in the course of planting the battery in his pocket. Chuck claims that Jimmy treats the court like a circus and Jimmy beats this by performing the Amazing Magical Disappearing Reappearing Cell Phone Battery trick to make Chuck look nuts (which he is).

This is the first time I've ever been disappointed in this show. It's still entertaining, but I wanted to see the panel tell off Jimmy. Chuck is a loon, but he's not loony on purpose, he really believes that he's allergic to electricity. He's not evil, he's pitiable. Jimmy, on the other hand, is criminal through and through, even though he's doing things with the best of intentions, he's still tying the law in knots. Chuck is RIGHT that Jimmy is a chimp with a machine gun, and I wished we'd have got to see the court tell Jimmy that NEITHER McGill brother is fit to be a lawyer.

If Chuck had allowed the attorney representing the Bar to finish the objection that he was making to Jimmy's antics, there's a good chance that the panel WOULD have sided with Chuck and told Jimmy off. The fact that Chuck thinks he's only person capable of seeing through Jimmy's chicanery and feels the need to point out that what Jimmy is doing is a circus act is what ultimately makes him looks like a paranoid loon. Even if we, the audience, know that everything Chuck is saying is factually accurate, it doesn't matter because that wasn't the time to bring it up.

Moreover, Chuck shouldn't have put himself on the stand on the first place. Howard was absolutely right, a break in and assault with two witnesses, combined with Jimmy's confession from the PPD, was already an ironclad case for disbarment. It's only by introducing the tape itself and Chuck putting himself on the stand that he opens the door for Jimmy to wiggle out of it. If Chuck actually cared about Jimmy, if he was actually doing all this for Jimmy's own good, he wouldn't have stepped foot into the hearing in the first place.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I'm not sure what Chuck wants Jimmy to do. Chuck seems to think that people can't ever change, no matter what. Is Jimmy supposed to work in the mailroom until he dies?

Not even "seems to." He directly says as much during their confrontation in Season 1:

quote:

Jimmy McGill: So that's it then, right? Keep old Jimmy down in the mailroom. He's not good enough to be a lawyer.

Chuck McGill: I know you. I know what you were, what you are. People don't change. You're Slippin' Jimmy. And Slippin' Jimmy I can handle just fine. But Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun. The law is sacred! If you abuse that power, people get hurt. This is not a game. You have to know on some level, I know you know I'm right. You know I'm right.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Jimmy's face at the end was the best gently caress you face.

There's only one thing going through Jimmy's mind in that moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's also worth noting that throughout the episode, we see Jimmy's confidence and personality failing him over and over again. He can't talk his way into getting his community service hours back, he can't talk his commercial customers into buying any more than the bare minimum (IF that), he can't get a refund on his insurance. He's stuck in limbo between the two ends of what he's good at, being a lawyer and being a conman. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely doing what he's doing to spite Chuck. But I think he's also doing it to prove to himself he still has this ability to draw people in and convince them it's their idea to do exactly what he wants.

That scene in the bar, when Jimmy and Kim are playing out their con fantasies? I think that's the first time Jimmy really understood what Marco meant when he said "It's like watching Miles Davis give up the trumpet."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

- Saul says a lot of whacky stuff about his personal life, the most notable being that his second wife slept with his stepdad. One of the comments that seemed a little more genuine to me was Saul visiting Skyler at the car wash. Saul's there to relay some business news, but has his car's getting washed he tells the guy washing his interior to really get the cushions. By explanation he tells Skyler that the "kiddies" get snot everywhere, it's real bad. No other evidence Saul may have kids on the side, but again we don't get any look at his personal life beyond what he tells us.

I think you're talking about the scene in To'hajiilee where Saul goes to the car wash to tell Walt that Huell is missing (after Jesse stole his car and drove it to Walt's house to burn the place down). "The kid" he's talking about is Jesse, and "booger powder" does not mean snot, but the crushed up meth that Jesse was snorting in his car. "The kid left so much booger powder in there my Caddy is a K9 unit's wet dream."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

One of the best parts of this show (and BB) is Gilligan & co's ability to bring back characters from minor side plots in earlier seasons and make them relevant in the main plot.

Speaking of their ability to strip mine the past for relevant details, I just started rewatching BB and noticed this:

From Breaking Bad S02E02 "Grilled" (Same episode and scene where they mention Tuco killing the biker):

From Better Call Saul S03E06 "Off Brand":

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Huh, if it happened in prison you'd think they'd be more than "pretty sure."

From the surrounding dialogue in the BCS scene, it seemed like Tuco stabbed the guy, but it was punching a prison guard in the ensuing chaos that got him thrown in solitary. If there was no evidence (like if he had an accomplice to dispose of the shiv for him) or other prisoners that were willing to testify against Tuco, I could see the charges not sticking. Then again, my knowledge of prison is based entirely on other TV shows and movies.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Slip and Fall? Better Call Saul!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

This show is so good at TENSION

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I think that would be the "Chimp with a machine gun" that Chuck was referring to.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it normal that a regional bank would have a single lawyer. I feel like anything more than a single location pizza shop in my town would need a big ol team of lawyers.

Probably not, but I don't think she's their sole lawyer, just the only lawyer they hired to help oversee this "four corners expansion" project.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The guitar bros were absolutely right to call Jimmy out. He's trying to hustle his "clients", that's the whole point of the past few eps. And agreeing to a verbal deal does not actually oblige you to pay the scumbag commercial guy who's weaseling his way out of his own agreement with the network. You absolutely could and should just hire your own film students and pay the network directly for a vastly reduced expense.

Then they shouldn't have agreed to take the first commercial and airing for free. They also could have done all of that research and found out what the airtime cost BEFORE they agreed to taking the first commercial for free.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They said "yeah ok", that doesn't obligate them to do poo poo. Jimmy knows that, he's a loving lawyer. He proceeds to scam them when they call his bluff.

It's a shakedown, just with brains instead of brawn.

I'm not talking about any sort of legal obligation. My point goes back to what Mike said back in Season 1, "You make a deal with someone, you keep your word." These questions about why they're shooting multiple commercials and getting the airtime for free should have come before they agreed to take the initial commercial and airtime for free. Now that they already got it AND saw an increase in business, they want to renege on the agreement? How is that not just them pulling their own hustle? They might be on the right side of the law, that doesn't mean they're not as contemptible as Jimmy.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

I have a 95 Geo Metro I want to sell you for $7k. You don't know any better. You say "yeah okay, I'll buy it." After you say that, you do some research and find out you're getting scammed HARD.

Sucks that you said you would buy it though. Thanks for your money!

In that scenario, what are you giving me for free? Because Jimmy gave those guys a commercial and airtime for free already.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

(They also offered to pay him for what he already did.)

Okay, that's a fair point. He could have taken the money and gone to Saul Goodman YOU BELONG ON TV another small business owner in ABQ.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If I eat a free sample at Costco and agree beforehand to buy a 30-pack of the product if like it, should I buy a 30-pack of the product after I have eaten it and admitted to liking it?

FTFY. And again, you're acting as if the only type of obligation that exists is a legal one. You could agree to that with the free sample giver, eat the sample, and then walk away. You're legally allowed to do so. Just don't be surprised when you piss off the sample giver working on commission that you just hustled.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

You're not obligated to continue getting ripped off if you didn't sign anything.

"Continue" implies that they were already ripped off somehow. They got a free commercial, free airtime, and saw an increase in business. The only person who's gotten ripped off at that point is Jimmy. It's not like they're getting a "rare" JFK half-dollar that turns out to only be worth 50-cents. They got the product that they were expecting to get AND were happy with it. Are they overpaying? Sure, but I'm not realistically sure by how much after they go to the trouble of hiring their own UNM film students and organizing the shoot.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

They offered to pay for that free stuff.

You aren't obligated to start getting ripped off either. Don't be pedantic.

Just because I do something nice for you doesn't give me free reign to rip you off just because you started out ignorant.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm trying to get you to understand where I'm coming from. And I already admitted that them offering to pay for the original commercial was a fair point.

My point is this: Don't agree to a deal if you're not prepared to follow through with it. Because there might be consequences, legal or otherwise, from breaking that agreement. Keeping one's word is just a good practice in general. If you don't know all the details, don't agree to it. If it seems too good to be true, don't agree to it. I'm not saying that Jimmy is in "the right" by Slip-and-Falling them or even when upselling them on the Elite Package. But can you see how they might be in "the wrong" by refusing or trying to change the deal after they already agreed to it?

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 6, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What qualifies "it works"?

The fact that they willingly admit that it's brought in more business and that customers are mentioning the commercial. The show would not have had the characters explicitly state these things if the audience wasn't meant to take away the point that "the commercial Jimmy made worked."

E: This is an important point too:

FreeKillB posted:

However, Jimmy did put his talent and time into creating that ad for them, and the entire conversation shows that they don't really consider his creative input to be valuable at all. This doesn't mean they're committing fraud, but they are assholes. This is roughly analogous to the situation of artists working for 'exposure' instead of for an appropriate compensation.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

timp posted:

The music store bros. vs. Jimmy argument is getting a bit tired

Agreed, let's get back to talking about how loving sick Nacho's pill bottle tossing skills are.

(Seriously though, that scene was amazing from start to finish and Nacho has officially graduated from Mike's school of elaborate schemes)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

That's the Gene's shoebox of relics from his old life as Saul from the first episode. It's the same Band-Aid tin he was keeping the coins in that we saw in this episode.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Walking the Mall? Better Call Saul!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Someone asked what it would take for the thread to turn on Jimmy?

Ruining an old woman's social life to get a quicker payout is pretty loving low. Even if he is TECHNICALLY correct about HHM only holding out to get a bigger share for themselves.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"I sold my soul for B-I-N-G-O!"

Truer words, Jimmy.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, if all of Hector's supply is coming through Gus's distribution system, he's effectively become Gus's underling. He's become that much easier to cut out of the power structure entirely when he's bringing no more to the table than anyone else who sells that product under Gus.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kim also could have hired a courier service to deliver all of that paperwork to the meeting so that it would have been there even if she wasn't. The earlier scene where her car gets stuck in the desert is highlighting the fact that her insistence on handling everything herself and refusing to ask for help is pushing the stakes higher and higher for when she eventually screws up.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

yah but cancer can actually literally cost millions to treat. you could get a solid gold cast and still not be that much

Also the first season of Breaking Bad does establish both that Walt's insurance isn't very good (he says as much in the pilot to the medic in the Ambulance after his collapse in the car wash), and that they're going out of his insurance network to get him the best treatment available.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

There is an argument to be made that if Saul had never volunteered his services after their initial dealings ("So if you wanna make more money, and keep the money you make...Better Call Saul!"), Walt would have never been in a position to grow into the Heisenberg we knew by the Finale. He probably would have just ended up arrested or buried in the desert if he'd continued to follow the trajectory he was on.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just like the vet is the deus ex machina in BCS, Saul was in BB.

That's true. The Vet is ultimately to blame for those two 737s crashing into each other.

e: Also, pretty sure this means a Vet spinoff is next in line, get on it AMC

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

• Locked thread