Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really amazed me how good this show is. I didn't think they could pull off another hit, but this is really close to as good as BB in a lot of ways. Really looking forward to the return of Gus as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Chuck's gonna die before this is all over.
I would think so.

I really hope they have good plans for a payoff with the post-BB Cinnabon stuff. Like have Kim find him there or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I mean, from a literal path of plot point A to plot point B there's plenty of believable paths they could take.

But from a character development standpoint they're almost painting themselves into a corner where the barrier to transform Jimmy into Saul is becoming insurmountable. Like, watch this scene from his first episode in Breaking Bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfyuKy5G0c

Remember at the end of season 1, when Jimmy says to Mike that he knows what was keeping him from taking the Kettleman's money and running, and he wasn't going to let it stop him anymore? That was a point where it felt natural and believable that Jimmy could make the leap into what we see here. With what we've seen of how invested Jimmy is in his relationships with Kim and Chuck, and how much he's about to lose, it's much harder to see him being happy as Saul. We know he is, and I don't doubt the writers' abilities to get us there, but drat, it's starting to shape up to be a herculean effort.
It sure seems to me that by taking the two most important people out of his life, that could be enough

It's pretty clear that Chuck is either going to be dead or Jimmy will be totally done with him by the end of the show, and Kim will probably be done with him because of his inability to not break the law. She's eventually going to go off and do her own thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Any word on how long this show is planned to go? They have to work towards an ending eventually.

Unless they start doing plot about stuff that was going on in Breaking Bad when Saul was offscreen.
They have not said anything about number of seasons. Remember that BB got cut short because AMC was cheaping out. What should have been two final seasons of BB were just one that was split into two.

I believe AMC also pulled that with Mad Men.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

TGttM is good poo poo.

I highly appreciate the absolute gleeful absurdity of the plot details, like the balloon race in which every character's motivation is completely inscrutable and ever-changing and there is literally no reason for anything to happen the way it does except that it's funny. How do balloons do "laps"? Why does the Sandleman forget that the race benefits his son and he asked for it in the first place? Why do they throw the kid out when throwing a shoe has a much greater effect on the outcome? It's all just so nonsensical, it's like the exact opposite of a show like BB or BCS.

And Odenkirk's dumb accents are hilariously / intentionally inept.
All of Tim and Eric's shows are like that, yeah

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, but you can't say she doesn't believe something when she flat out says she believes it.
Worked for Trump....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Nice to see hubris come up in a big way too, Walt's hubris was like a constant threat in Breaking Bad undermining him at every turn, and here Chuck's hubris ruins him because if he just hadn't bothered to show up at the hearing Jimmy was completely screwed since he wouldn't be able to put Chuck's mental condition under question and lay the case for his statement on the tape being a lie meant to console him.
That was my favorite thing....to sink Jimmy he didn't have to do anything else, but he just HAD to be the person to tell his story on the stand and watch as Jimmy's career dissolved before his eyes. It's too perfect.

also it makes more sense that it was the phone battery since you would more than likely feel the weight of the phone in your pocket.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah I went back and watched that scene again, I misread that line the first time. In light of that though, what do we think Hamlin's opinion of Chuck is right now? Because he clearly had doubts earlier in this season, what with trying to get Chuck to scale back his 24 hour surveillance of the place and having to scale garden fences just to visit the guy. I don't know if he's quite at the point where he's apologizing to Jimmy, or even believes Jimmy's side of the story. But I feel like this might be the tipping point to say "no employee, regardless of skill level, is worth this amount of effort to retain." Chuck walked face first into the rake that Hamlin explicitly pointed out to him before the hearing. Even if this is someone that you have to make some sort of effort to keep, at this point it has to be something like "get psychiatric help on the company's dime, or you're done here."
Chuck is a senior partner so it would take a lot for him to lose his position. However, between this meltdown and his meltdown at the Mesa Verde hearing it's not looking good.

It's pretty insane the amount of leeway that Howard has given Chuck so far. I do think that's probably going to change since now this is going to negatively affect the firm.

I think the theories that Jimmy changes his name because of Chuck's illness are becoming more likely by the minute.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's like a season finale, halfway into the season!
It's really going to be hard to top that final camera shot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

graham cracker posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Chuck subconsiously created this affliction of his because whenever he has one of his "bouts" it turns turns Jimmy from a "bad guy" into a considerate individual? The more time Jimmy is doing stuff to accommodate his brother the less time he has to bastardize the law? I think this breakdown was him realizing it wouldn't work anymore and all he accomplished was alienating his brother even further.
He did create his own illness to a degree, but it seems to occur when Jimmy 'wins' something or does well. Like after he became an attorney. Or when Chuck had the meltdown in the copy shop last season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

I would really love a crime thread that explained stuff like this in A/T :allears:
The quick version is that organized crime like the Mafia goes through channels that they already know, for the most part. Although it may be different in modern times since the mob is not what it was in say the 1960s. For a long time the Mob was very particular not to expose even their existence. Some prominent mob bosses refused to get involved in certain criminal dealings like drugs because that trade is much messier than say, running a gambling racket or running unions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

So at this point from Breaking Bad the show has

Mike
Mike's daughter in law
Jimmy
Francesca
Tuco
Hector Salamanca
Gus
Victor
rear end in a top hat bluetooth guy
Tyrus
Huell
Lydia
Krazy 8
Don Eladio
Dr. Goodman (the guy who saves Gus and Mike)
Probably some other minor people I'm forgetting

It's kind of everyone except the Whites and the PInkmans. They missed a golden opportunity to bring back the junkyard guy though
The way this is headed with Lydia appearing and Gus working on the laundry facility I'm sure by the end of the season Gale will appear

Maybe also that other guy (who's name I can't remember) who did jobs for Saul along with Huell?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think the nitro thing is probably a fake out and Hector gets crippled by a stroke because that's something that frequently happens to old bitches with heart problems.
I could easily see them about to poison him but he has the stroke first

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Stickarts posted:

Hamlin has that big "keep it to yourself because I DON'T CARE" freak-out on Kim, too. But yes, typically he keeps his emotions buttoned down pretty tight.
Pretty clear to me that he would like to go off on Chuck for having to clean up his courtroom freakout, but he'll take it out on Kim instead because he knows she's going to take it (until this time).

I try to like Howard but then he does that douchey stuff like being all condescending to Kim.

I do appreciate how this season you have gone from a Kim who looked like she was willing to self-sabotage the Mesa Verde account out of guilt, to now being able to stick it to Howard and take on more responsibility since she is finally more confident.

Not sure if anyone noticed in the preview but I think we are going to see the return of Madrigal?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kim's not going to have her career ruined or anything, this is just going to serve as a catalyst for her making a major change in her life.
Basically this. I wonder if she will want to go back to a group practice after the accident, but probably a longshot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm wondering if they are going to skip forward a year or so after all that happened there. A lot was wrapped up, at least for the time being. Michael McKean needs to win an Emmy for that performance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The tweet Michael McKean sent out after the show indicates that he is done with the series, so I really doubt it. Plus Chuck's arc is done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nude posted:

Jimmy did go over to house to check up on Chuck suggesting (to me) that he found out Chuck got let go and wanted to make sure he was okay. He probably doesn't know about the money/how much but I'm pretty sure Jimmy knows he got fired, and not on good terms. I don't think that gives much wiggle room for Jimmy to get the money but just something to keep in mind.
I'm 99% sure he didn't know about the buyout since it had just happened and he only went there because after Kim almost died he wanted to make sure Chuck was alright since he of course lives alone.

I wonder if any of the estate might go to the ex-wife.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Michael McKean really deserved it. Particularly since he is not coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

We'll see. Maybe he survives? Or next season is all a flashback to 20 years ago starring Chuck? Maybe Chuck gets the next Breaking Bad spinoff? Vince could make it a trilogy
Only chance is a flashback which they may already have filmed

• Locked thread