Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:siren: Hey guess what's back and premiering on AMC April 10, 2017: :siren:

The story thus far of the backalley-grifter-gone-legit-lawyer-gone-meth-money-laundering-fixer from Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman nee Jimmy McGill, has left Jimmy confessing to his brother Chuck to having tampered with the documents on which Chuck's recent maneuver to secure the business of clients Mesa Verde depended, making it look like Chuck and HHM were incompetent and losing them the business in favor of Jimmy and Kim Wexler—but Chuck was secretly recording Jimmy's confession the whole time, so even though Chuck still seems pretty crazy, he's crazy like a fox. (deep breath) Also, decrepit but badass ex-cop Mike Ehrmantraut was all set to put a bullet through drug kingpin Hector Salamanca from a bluff across the way from his desert hideout, but he got warned off by a mysterious someone who left a note on the windshield saying DON'T.

IT'S REALLY GOOD YOU GUYS, IT'S TOTALLY NOT A BORING LAW TALKING SOAP OPERA SHOW.

So where to next with Chuck's scheming ways and Mike's underworld assassinations? Who knows, because the big news for this season hinges on the reveal that Gus Fring is going to be in it

Here's a Forbes story that discusses AMC's marketing stunt centering around this reveal, which hardly qualifies as a spoiler with them drawing this much attention to it.

NOT appearing in the new season is Walter White, so get that out of your heads right now. But he's in the behind-the-scenes 3-minute teaser that just recently dropped. It looks like they're having lots of fun recreating Los Pollos Hermanos and getting the old gang back together for another fun filled season of legal intrigue, dramatic tension, violent standoffs, protracted anticipation of characters' evolution, cocobolo desks, foil-covered walls, and beautifully shot views of scenic Albuquerque!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shbobdb posted:

His career is going gangbusters and will continue to be awesome. Chuck's tape is going to get laughed out of court.

However, it will torpedo his relationship with Kim. Jimmy going from a colorful lawyer to a criminal lawyer will bring him huge amounts of success. It will also bring Kim a lot of success, but Kim will ultimately reject it since she wants to succeed on her own terms. Jimmy succeeding and Kim failing will end their relationship.

Kim will ask to never be associated with him, so the "McGill -- Wexler" will get canned and since he's successful with increasing recognition in the criminal underground so he'll just own the "Saul Goodman". Possibly also relating to some level of reconciliation with his brother.

I'm torn between thinking it'll be a slow progression of inevitable changes like this that turns Jimmy into Saul, and thinking it'll be some huge cataclysmic event.

The former is more realistic and likely. The latter is what a TV audience will expect.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chuck's gonna die before this is all over.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ominous the way that gun is laying

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So the gas cap in his station wagon was bugged, but he bought another gas cap for the Caprice and ... that one was also bugged? I got lost in there. How many gas caps are involved here?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She settled on a semicolon followed by a capital :wtc:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which is totally meaningless without context anyway, if I were Ernesto I wouldn't have thought a single thing of it or even known it was anything to bother trying to understand if Chuck hadn't come shrieking in and told me to forget everything I'd heard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm still missing something about the gas caps.

He asked for a cap for a Caprice, which I assume is what the "job" car is (the station wagon). But his personal car is a Chrysler. Which car did he buy the cap from the guy for? Why would he need another one for the job car?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the thread hates Chuck with a passion, but I can't imagine the show without him. He's such a rat bastard and Michael McKean's performance is fantastic.

No one's saying he's a bad character. Just a bad person.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In my tepid defense, in the very first shot in which we see the gas cap (when he opens the filler door briefly and then moves on), I noted that the gas cap looked clean and new and had raised white lettering, and I thought right then that "that seems a bit odd for a car that old".

I really got thrown off by his asking the junkyard owner about buying a gas cap apparently. I was like, what, does he suspect the junkyard guy of selling the cartel a gas cap that they could bug? Was the station wagon a Caprice? Oh that was all a red herring fuuuuck :saddowns:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I gotta say I appreciate the interplay and progression during the cold-open Gene scene.

*Gene, laying low and beaten down, surreptitiously motions to the kid in the booth, clearly wanting to keep his involvement on the down-low*

:cop:: "GOOD WORK CITIZEN, GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Gene, to kid: :mad: "DON'T SAY ANYTHING, GET A LAWYER"

:cop:: rear end in a top hat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can only imagine that the Pollos batter is spicy, and being in NM I'm sure they've got all kinds of green hatch chili items and stuff. I'd eat there.

The way Don Eladio says pollo tan picoso makes me really wanna try that spicy chicken.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TGttM is good poo poo.

I highly appreciate the absolute gleeful absurdity of the plot details, like the balloon race in which every character's motivation is completely inscrutable and ever-changing and there is literally no reason for anything to happen the way it does except that it's funny. How do balloons do "laps"? Why does the Sandleman forget that the race benefits his son and he asked for it in the first place? Why do they throw the kid out when throwing a shoe has a much greater effect on the outcome? It's all just so nonsensical, it's like the exact opposite of a show like BB or BCS.

And Odenkirk's dumb accents are hilariously / intentionally inept.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know it, you know it, Moltar know it...

Guess who write today's episode?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

There was no indication that Gus was a manager/owner though. He was just a guy sweeping the floors, cleaning up the tables, taking out the trash. I think the normal thing to assume is that Gus was just a low level bus boy.

Unless fast food managers actually do this kind of stuff but I wouldn't know.

But it's moot because I think in the BB world Gus is suppose to be famous and well known as a philanthropist in ABQ.

To be fair we've also got Gene in the same couple of episodes, the manager of the Cinnabon, doing menial jobs, taking out the trash, icing the rolls, washing dishes. There's a kind of a neat parallel they've got going on there if they want it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was born and raised in eastern Canada, and we don't have Chick-fil-a there. Until the anti-gay thing happened, and I heard it on the news, I totally thought it was Chick Filluh, and I didn't get it. But Chick-fil-a (Chick fillet) makes more sense.

Perhaps but it's still the stupidest excuse for a pun in all of creation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, that's a pun? I thought it was just a "cool" way to spell it, like having a hairdressing place called Haircutz

Maybe it doesn't even qualify, I just mean nobody's ever used the phrase "chick fillet" in my experience. It bewilders me what they thought they were pulling off.

Also my brother says he always thought the logo was a paperclip

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I equate it with El Pollo Loco actually.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Is Gus gay? The chilean dude who got shot at the cartel poop was his lover? Whaaaat?!?

And here I thought he was his brother, you know, his hermano

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

veni veni veni posted:

They pretty explicitly said Gus was gay right at the end of the Breaking Bad finale. It was right before Walter got onto the bus and the credits rolled.

I'll always associate "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root with that scene

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They should kill Jimmy off at the end of Season 4 without ever changing his name just to gently caress with everybody.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd say BB spoilers are probably okay untagged, unless and until we hear from someone who's going through it for the first time. Unlikely but possible?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NowonSA posted:

It's also worth noting that Walt's on board for the Grey Matter job until he finds out it's built on mercifulness and kindheartednesspity, related to his diagnosis, and then he turns on it, so you also get the wrinkle that he's not completely insane and if someone had magic'd up a really lucrative job offer out of the blue from some strangers he would have taken it at that point in the series.

You know, depending on whose POV.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For me you know what the actual highlight of the episode was? Chuck and Hamlin's little one-on-one during the setup of the courtroom. Hamlin is trying to get Chuck to think of the impact on the company of poo poo coming out. And Chuck's response is NO, gently caress THE COMPANY, WHAT IS IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW IS MY PERSONAL REVENGE. He thinks he's landed a masterstroke by saying "This is not the time to worry about optics". Like... what? From Hamlin's perspective that is the moment when Chuck becomes a liability, and irrevocably so. From that point on, in the hearing, he isn't really trying. Chuck's lost him.

Also right at the beginning of Chuck's rant, check that little jaw twitch. :bahgawd:

fake edit: I don't remember if this was discussed in previous threads, but can I just say I really appreciate the double layers of interpretation for "Charlie Hustle".

Either it's a dull grandpa nickname invented by someone who thinks a straightforward sports reference is the height of wit, or it's a clever riff on Slippin' Jimmy's conman roots.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Time for Jimmy to Break Bad

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mad props to them getting their hands on a period Jack in the Bα sign.

JACK IN THE BALPHA

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FogHelmut posted:

Whiskey stops aging once its bottled. It could be a 100 year old bottle of 35 year old scotch.

efb

I mean, it's weird that the bottle says 1966 on it so prominently, right? Like, that's not how scotch is bottled. It literally says "N years old", not the year of bottling.

The writers know scotch well enough to know Macallan and how old is old and expensive. Why would they do this this way?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GOD drat THAT loving PASSING BIG RIG FOLEY

HOOOONK. HOOOOOOOOONK

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lololol mark proksch.

DO WC FIELDS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uhh

no.

Why?

gently caress I love Mark Proksch's delivery

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god jimmy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drunken officeparty posted:

Cue card girl best girl

Oh is that what the "best boy" does

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They made the Daily Show every day for like a hundred years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hated her.... SO ... MUCH

That

that

flames

flames

FLAAAAMES

on the side of my face

Heaving breaths... heaving—breathing—br—

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Precisely this.

"What does your husband do?"
"Oh he spends all day on his back."

You know the worst thing? When I was growing up in the 80s, the best option we had for accumulating movies to watch was recording them off TV. So the version of Clue that my family had on an increasingly ratty videotape, and that my brother and I must have watched a hundred times, was one that had been cropped down for TV such that it was missing:

- Flames on the side of my face
- The multiple endings (it only had the Mrs. Peacock ending)

It was only years later that I finally saw it as intended and :aaaaa:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same sort of thing happened with me and Ghostbusters. My dad had seen that it was on, way back in probably 88, 89, and by the time he had gotten his tape in there, Peter was saying "You're no fluke, Jennifer." I used to ask my parents to rent it all the time, so I sort of remembered the beginning, but I went pretty much ten years without once again seeing the stuff before my copy started.

What was weird about Ghostbusters was that risqué stuff wasn't bleeped, they had just filmed alternate tv-friendly takes (or removed a certain line or scene when needed).

Some examples (and you can find these online)

- "we came, we saw, we kicked its rear end" was changed to "What a knockabout great time THAT was!"
- "Everything was just fine until our power grid was shut off by Wally Wick here". "Is this true?" "Yes, your honour, this man is some type of rodent, I don't know which."
- No ghost blowjob scene, it just cut right to someone falling off their bed, and then the shot of Winston about to apply.

Also, watching it now, I still remember all the local (MITV, out of Atlantic :canada:!) commercials and when they'd pop in. Right after Stay Puft gets blown up, there's a commercial for tonight's episode of "In The Heat of the Night".

Anyway, sorry for the derail, but I love this stuff.

Short Circuit

"This little fart of a robot is beginning to give me the red-rear end"

->

"This little twit of a robot is beginning to give me a baaaaaad headache"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was super intrigued by that shot of Mike out in the desert metal detecting. Way up high, must have been like 100 ft, and absolutely motionless. That must be a hell of a drone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sagebrush posted:

So because Nacho isn't around in Breaking Bad, and in last week's episode Mike prominently emphasized replacing the pills after Hector takes them and gets hosed up...it seems pretty clear that the reverse-switch isn't going to go quite as smoothly and Nacho's gonna be in deep poo poo, right?

Not saying this show is being formulaic or anything, but it seems like a pretty common story pattern:

1) a scheme has two difficult parts to pull off
2) you have a tense scene showing the first difficult part (i.e. "breaking into the bank"), which comes close to failing, but succeeds
3) you have another tense scene showing the second difficult part ("escaping from the bank"), which fails climactically

So yeah, purely from what we've seen from the setup and how tensely the "break-in" phase was handled, I think it's safe to say the reverse-switch will go to poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If Mike "working" at Madrigal is supposed to be for the purpose of laundering his $200k at 10k/week over 20 weeks, isn't he going to lose a big chunk of it in taxes if it's being run as a legit job with W2 and everything?

Also, "it's like talking to Gollum" is a good line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they're going to make Saul from the protagonist into the villain of his own show in much the same way they did with Walt, they're going to have to raise up a new protag to take his place in our hearts, the way they did with Jesse.

Is it going to be Chuck, Hamlin, or Kim?

• Locked thread