Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if this is the season where Jimmy and Chuck trash the gently caress out of that house in a bare-knuckled brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This season had me at "Sugartown."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
CHuck's gonna play it outside his ex-wife's place having Howard hold it above his head like a boombox while he screams about how he was right.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"I won't ????? and you stay out of court" what was that line?
Also why did Mike take the gas cap out I thought he left it in because he didn't want Gus to know he's onto him?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

jonathan banks looks as excited as anyone would be five feet from chris hardwick
He's right next to Rhea Seahorn though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love Chuck's little fistpump move after he cons Ernie because it shows he really is just as guilty of everything he hates about his brother.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From Sepinwall's review:

quote:

Because the latter sequence takes place at night, and because Mike doesn’t have anyone to explain himself to (not that he would even if Jesse Pinkman were standing next to him asking questions), it took me until a second viewing to entirely make sense of what happened. So here goes: Mike, using the duplicate tracker his veterinarian friend helped him procure, realizes that the tracker hidden in his gas cap runs on a battery, that the receiver gets a warning when the battery is low, and that odds are greater that the people following him will simply swap out the whole gas cap (with a new tracker) each time the battery needs changing, since that can be done in seconds, rather than the minute or more it would take to dismantle the cap, swap the battery (or tracker), reassemble the cap, and screw it back in. He puts the duplicate tracker, which he has the receiver for, into the car, then runs down the battery from the original tracker by using it to also power his trusty transistor radio. When the batter runs low, he knows the people following him will come to replace it and drive off with what they think is their tracker, but is really his. Once they’ve come and gone, he hops into his sedan and follows from a safe distance, knowing he can use his receiver to keep tabs on their position. It’s not as complicated as, say, Jesse figuring out what Huell did with his cigarettes, but I know I wasn’t the only reviewer who didn’t grasp all the ins and outs of the plan the first time through.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Quote isn't edit! This never happens to me!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Chuck even did a little hell yeah flip with the wooden tongs or whatever that thing is he uses to interact with the tape recorder after Ernesto had left. Dude knows Ernie lied to him in the hospital to cover for Jimmy being at the coffee shop, remember? He wants Ernie to freak out and go to Jimmy.
...I think if Hamlin ever finds out that Chuck is roping the kid who has to deal with all his brokebrained bullshit into his crazy gambit that that's going to be the moment where he decides to cut Chuck loose. I can't imagine he signed onto this plan.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rassle posted:

The podcast is up.
I'm not seeing it here.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
VICTOR???

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wondering if Jimmy's so loving scared by the tape that he can't even formulate the thought "He conned me???" or if the writers decided the line didn't need to be said.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS LISTEN TO KIM, JIMMY.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, can Jimmy just spin this to say the confession still isn't real? Like, if my brother pretended to have a mental breakdown as a con job because he was so convinced that he couldn't have made The Easiest Mistake in the World, then I'd be pretty pissed off too. He even calls the tape "nothing."

I mean yeah he did all that other stuff, but I just want Kim to be safe.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 18, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also confirmation that Chuck's wife left him. That's good.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

It looks like he's finally starting to regret the lengths he's gone to to teach Jimmy a lesson, though. With the prospect of Jimmy actually, literally going to jail and having his entire life ruined because of him becoming a concrete reality, I think even Chuck is realizing that everything that's happened between them isn't worth losing his brother's love forever. I suspect it's too late, though. That would be some tragic irony: Chuck actually going through some introspection and realizing he was *gasp* wrong for once, but Jimmy being forced so far into the Saul persona as a result of what Chuck did that their relationship is beyond repairing.
Chuck doesn't regret poo poo, except for marrying Rebecca, who he should have known would be charmed by his brother just like everyone else.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My new prediction is that Jimmy is going to gently caress Chuck's poo poo up so badly in court that he has to change his name so he isn't associated with his brother. Just tell the jury that even AFTER that poo poo he pulled with HHM while you were taking care of him for his imaginary brain problem when you could have had him committed, you went to his house after he collapsed and made sure he made it through the night okay, and then he used that moment to say that's when you committed a complex forgery scheme, because the alternative would be that he made a mistake and he couldn't accept that, so he pretended to have a mental breakdown to get you to "confess," which was part one of a scheme where part two was scaring the poo poo out of the mailroom kid who had taken over the whole "making sure his broke brain rear end has groceries" thing.
There is no need for the confession to be genuine for Jimmy's meltdown to be explained. Everything is perfectly under control... FOR SAUL GOODMAN.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

I think people's pathological hatred for Chuck (who is really more of a pitiable wretch than a contemptible villain) is clouding their ability to actually watch the show. Chuck was clearly pretty genuinely emotionally affected by what Jimmy was saying about "destroying our family" during his outburst. I don't think Chuck is going to have a sudden and immediate come-to-Jesus moment by next episode or anything, but it's impossible to miss how Michael McKean plays that scene if you watch it with a clear head.

This reminds me of the people back when Breaking Bad was airing who were so consumed with hatred for Walt that they were completely incapable of understanding the key point that Walt genuinely cared about Jesse (in his own admittedly hosed up way), and so the showrunners literally had to have Hank of all characters point this obvious fact out so people would understand it.
Like Walt, Chuck is a miserable creature who thinks he "knows" the most important person in his life when he really loving doesn't, at all, whether it's "Of course Jesse's working with Nazis!" or "He's gonna sneak in through the cover of darkness like a thoughtful criminal mind, and not barge in for a confrontation because I emotionally manipulated him in yet another horrifying way."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Frankly his behavior actually helps him in some ways. If he'd snuck in to steal it, he'd be hosed. But this was a man pissed off that his brother conned him, and used an electrical device in the process. People would be more sympathetic to Jimmy than to chuck.
This is gonna be the axle on which the rest of this arc turns. Chuck is in an absolutely terrible position right now, it's just that none of the characters realize it, except for Kim who will patiently explain it to Jimmy in the next episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, there's a throwaway line in 5x09 of Breaking Bad where Saul threatens to send Francesca "back to the DMV." So that whole "I'm gonna call it the DMV" thing was a retcon.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that if Jimmy's legal defense is "I was upset at being emotionally manipulated by my brother who I have done nothing but try to help and who has constantly treated me like poo poo," that puts him in a great position to ruin Chuck's relationship with Howard by making Howard testify about how he really feels about that crazy fucker.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

lotus circle posted:

Howard would definitely not say anything bad about Chuck in court. Chuck might be mentally dysfunctional, but he's still one of the founding partners of the law firm his father made. Unless he just wants to find a way to cut Chuck completely loose, but I don't think that's the case.
I absolutely think "no wonder Rebecca left you" is just the opening shot in Jimmy going scorched earth on Chuck. If compelled to testify about his relationship with Chuck, Hamlin will absolutely not lie under oath to continue humoring the crazy man.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

That's fine--until he calls Chuck a piece of poo poo and breaks into his desk and finds the tape (or what he believes to be the tape) and starts unreeling it in front of witnesses.
Once again, the defense for that is "I was upset at my mentally ill brother for using his illness as a way to manipulate me emotionally because he couldn't fathom the idea that he made a mistake. This was a family dispute with no illegal activity taking place."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
When I say "defense" I'm talking about the things that Jimmy can legally do (not that I believe his options are that limited) to defend himself in front of a jury of his peers in a court of law. His defense will be that the break and enter, the destruction of property, and the threat to burn the house down, are all made not in a premeditated attempt to commit or cover up a crime, but as an impassioned response to being wronged by a family member. They are crimes, but let's talk proportionality. Let's talk justice. Chuck and the prosecution will argue that Jimmy's actions are those of a guilty man wanting to cover up his actions. Chuck's earnest belief was that his brother would attempt to steal the tape in the dead of night, and the prosecution will try to pretend that what Jimmy did is functionally no different from if he had. But it fundamentally is.
There is no reasonable doubt as to what Jimmy did in front of those witnesses. But there is plenty of reasonable doubt as to why he did it. In this case, being caught in the cover-up does not prove the crime, the switch from 1261 to 1216. And that's where Jimmy starts doing things like calling Howard to the stand and asking him what he really thought when Chuck played the tape for him and had him go along with this crazy plan that had him run through a backyard and over a fence. And having that doctor come in and testify about the provable psychosomatic nature of Chuck's illness, demonstrating the lengths Chuck will go to to convince others and himself that he is not mentally fallible, be it a mental illness or a filing error. Then we get into Chuck's first betrayal: keeping Jimmy from HHM and having Howard be the fall guy. The lengths Jimmy went to to take care of Chuck for a year and a half. How much he obviously loves his brother. And how despite everything, Chuck blames him for everything terrible in his life. It's enough to make anybody bust down a door and commit minor property damage. That doesn't make them not crimes, but are you gonna disbar him for that? Hell no.

All of the above requires one thing: Never give into guilt. Jimmy must never show that he is even entertaining the notion that anything on that tape was anything other than a man desperately trying to talk his brother off the ledge. As long as Chuck is truly dead to Jimmy, Jimmy will win this case.

except

How would Chuck have known involving Ernie would work if he didn't know that Ernie had lied to him about calling Jimmy before they went into the copy shop?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

Whether Ernie lied about calling Jimmy to cover for him, or really did call Jimmy out of concern regarding Chuck's behavior, it works either way.
How? Why would Chuck use Ernie if it was the latter? The whole point was that he was pretending to still trust Ernie over Jimmy when he knew for a fact he couldn't.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

The way I see it, the main thing is that he's still on the hook for B&E no matter why he did it. If he's distraught, I don't see that that gives him anything more than the basis for a plea for leniency. I do think his behavior at Chuck's house is indeed that of a guilty man who wants to cover up his crime--there's no way to avoid the appearance that that's what was going on. But if Jimmy ends up having to address that point, I think we all know he has the imagination and theatrical skills and chutzpah to come up with a story and sell it.
The basis for a plea for leniency is all he needs. There's no legal way for Jimmy McGill to come out of this clean. I'm arguing that there's a way for Jimmy to go at this, specifically because of how he confronted Chuck rather than try to steal the tape like Chuck had predicted, that will ultimately lead to this ending with Chuck's downfall and the end of the McGill name, rather than a situation where Jimmy is made to change his name by HHM like we've been predicting would happen since the first freakin' episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Okay, then, I'm fine with that--but with the provision that even if there's no legal way for Jimmy to come out of it clean, that doesn't mean he's going to feel limited to using legal tactics.
I mean he's still gonna be lying through his teeth under oath and that kid at the copy shop is probably gonna be called in to testify so that'll have to be dealt with, and then there's the matter of Ernie who, again, lied to Chuck about calling Jimmy before they went into the copy shop and all three of them know it. There's some things that are gonna have to be dealt with outside of a courtroom. But I would love it so much if that was kept to a minimum, because as much as Jimmy loves to take shortcuts in many, many avenues of his life, there is nothing he relishes more than the slow burn of convincing people, and if this trial is gonna be the birth of Saul Goodman, which I'd be shocked if it wasn't, I want Jimmy to enjoy it as much as possible, because that's how I think we get to the man we see in Breaking Bad.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

And then this, yeah. The tape don't mean poo poo anymore.

That flies for breaking in when the tape was made. Not when he broke in to destroy it. The whole case now has nothing to do with the tape incident aside from it being the reason he committed a second series of crimes.
That's not how this works at all. Chuck's entire plan was to get Jimmy to prove that the tape was real by trying to steal it. Chuck told Howard "my brother broke the law" not "my brother is about to break the law."

Also come on, of course Chuck's gonna call the police, why wouldn't the hell wouldn't he?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's a little on the nose.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Scorched earth on Chuck it is, then.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
haha wait I assumed this whole time that Chuck did something like have Howard and the P.I. sign sworn statements that they had listened to the contents of the tape and that Jimmy would be charged for what he confessed to on the tape. Is he actually such a piece of poo poo that it's not even about that anymore?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

lotus circle posted:

Jimmy and Kim are so good, it makes me depressed that she's completely absent in his life once BB starts.
Why would Saul tell any of his clients he had a woman he loved?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

The tape itself is basically worthless in a court of law. This point has been hammered home over the past two episodes. Why would the sworn statements of two people who listened to it be worth anything when the goddamn tape itself isn't?

In Chuck's mind, Jimmy deserves to be punished for committing the first felony, but since it's impossible to prove, he concocted a scheme to bait Jimmy into committing another felony that's more easily proven. It's never really been fully about what's on the tape, though. It's always been a mixture of Chuck being jealous of Jimmy for his success and popularity, and him genuinely wanting Jimmy to be punished for routinely bending and breaking the law he holds so sacred.
A huge part of why that tape was worthless was that "he could argue it's not his voice" kind of went kaput when Jimmy burst in shouting "YOU TAPED ME?!" and if Jimmy had tried to steal the tape under the cover of darkness or whatever that would have essentially proven that the confession on the tape was legitimate, whereas with him doing, well, what he did, let there be much more of a gray area that I've been theorizing about all week.
But hell, isn't the contents of the tape gonna come up in court anyways? Considering that's what all the property destruction was about?

Anyway, I have NO loving idea how Kim and Jimmy are going to approach this trial.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

If I was Gus and Mike told me his strange plan I would probably go into box cutter mode

I really want a deleted scene of Mike explaining his plan to an incredibly skeptical Gus.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

GOOOOOOOO LANDCRABS
I really really want him to actually say this at some point.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

Jimmy will call in a neuroscientist who will explain that our brains function by electrical signals, and then point out that Chuck The gently caress cannot be afraid of electricity when he is electricity. Everyone will applaud and Chuck will immediately be disbarred and have his teeth removed and be sent to the home for criminally insane bad brothers.

And that neuroscientist was Albert Einstein.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
No way will Jimmy be found guilty of a felony.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have had a really lovely past 24 hours and that teaser was like seeing an old friend back just the way I remembered them.

Thanks Vince.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't Mike want the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hootin and hollerin like a CIA agent.

• Locked thread