Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is such a good show.

In looking forward to the new season, over the last month or so I rewatched the entirety of Breaking Bad and both seasons of Better Call Saul. Bunch of little connections I hadn't noticed before -- for instance, the fancy brand of tequila that Fring used to poison the cartel members is the same brand that Jimmy and Kim are buying when they scam the stockbroker (who is, incidentally, the same guy who gets his car torched by Walt years later). And near the end of season 2, Jimmy and Kim eat at a hot dog restaurant with a distinctive sign, where Jesse sells meth at the beginning of Breaking Bad.

Can't wait for the 10th.

Currently, what I'm actually looking forward to the most is seeing if maybe they explain how Tio Salamanca went from a reasonably healthy seeming man in his ~60s to mute and wheelchair-bound in the span of less than five years (I think BCS is currently set in 2003, and Breaking Bad starts in 2008). Stroke? Accident? Assassination attempt? All three? I hope they keep following his story.

e: gently caress Chuck

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would think so.

I really hope they have good plans for a payoff with the post-BB Cinnabon stuff. Like have Kim find him there or something.

I hope so too. Kim does say she's from a tiny town near the Kansas/Nebraska border, and Jimmy is working in that same general area...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last I heard they had said that yes, he did visit the cast and no, he won't have a cameo.

Anything is possible though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Chuck set up Ernesto?

No, Mike set up Chuck! and Howard set up Tuco.

e: Kim set up Jimmy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, in Breaking Bad when Saul is setting up the initial meet at Pollos Hermanos he explicitly says "I know a guy (Mike) who knows a guy (Fring)".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no those people are great, I love skipping five pages of zero-content posts every time a new episode airs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mike is gonna follow the tracker down to its source and discover Hank Schrader.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kim is Skyler White and Marie Schrader's estranged half-sister.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Saul Goodman and Jimmy McGill are in fact two separate people. Saul was created when Jimmy was hit by a blast of energy from an experiment gone wrong at the Sandia National Laboratories, separating his quantum structure into two physical "Matlock" and "Shyster" superpositions. The young postdoc in charge of the experiment? Walter White.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A tertiary isotope too unstable to exist for more than a few hours at room temperature.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Well he was an investment banker wasn't he? Those work for banks right?

Oh hes a stockbroker, working at Mesa Verde, lol.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Ken

Mesa Verde isn't the Mesa Credit Union.

Though I suppose they could be cross-branded and owned by the same guy or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do kind of want to see what happened to the Kettlemans, even though it's implied that they finally took the deal and dumb husband went to minimum-security prison.

Also this show has a lot of comedy in it but it still needs to find its roof pizza moment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I'm 100% sure Jimmy ordered a breakfast burrito. To be a restaurant in Albuquerque it's practically required by law that you serve breakfast burritos, especially fast food restaurants.

He ordered a "Pollos Classic." Given the little background we know about the restaurant (it started out selling Gus' lover's chicken recipe from Chile) that's probably just a piece of fried chicken. One thigh or whatever and a coffee could reasonably cost 3 bucks in 2002.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it makes for a more powerful villain if the chicken is bad

I think it makes for a more powerful villain if the chicken is good. Like "of course it's good, Mr. Bond. One cannot build an empire upon mediocrity. There is no pursuit I choose in which I do not excel."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It just seems to me like a place like Albuquerque probably has 3 dozen really great and cheap local mexican/southern breakfast places for every one lovely chicken restaurant so Pollos must be really good.

Pollos Hermanos started out as one of those really great and cheap "mexican" (Chilean) places, and from the maps we see in BB five years later they have like 20 or so locations across four states. That's not too many places for the quality to remain high, especially with a perfectionist like Gus at the helm.

I think it's good chicken.

e: Making a Pollos Hermanos food truck to drive around selling some interpretation of Chilean fried chicken would be an awesome marketing move

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Go to Raising Cane's where their breading is even more soggy?

I think the person most likely to see Gene is Kim. She sometimes has a Kansas City Royals shirt on, so she's from the midwest. I don't know if she's said exactly where she's from, the breaking bad wiki doesn't say anything about that. It's possible she's from somewhere in Nebraska near Missouri or anywhere northwest of Kansas City and she ends up going to Omaha for some reason. Then she stops by a mall to get a cinnabon.

She's said that she's from "a tiny little town near the Kansas/Nebraska border, you've never heard of it."

So just the sort of place that Saul would end up after getting a new identity.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah he might be gay in the way that Mr. Smithers "might be gay."

i.e. they won't come out and say it because it's hilarious to see all these people continuously going "what, that handsome, well-groomed middle-aged man with no children and no wife, who has never broken his even, measured tone no matter the horror and destruction around him, except for the one moment he cried out in grief and anguish when his young, handsome 'business partner' was murdered in front of him? gay??"

jfc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the idea that Jimmy's going to have to defend himself in court or risk disbarment, with Chuck as his primary opponent, and his reputation as a friendly lawyer to senior citizens will be ruined as the details of the trial are publicized. In the end, though, he'll pull off a miraculous Saul Goodman-style acquittal by working the jury. This will drive Chuck, who will do everything completely right by the books but still lose, fully insane. As part of the proceedings, everything will come out about Chuck's mental illness -- maybe he'll even end up committed -- and that will be the final blow that drives the two of them apart. Maybe it will also torch the McGill name for good -- HHM becomes just Hamlin & Hamlin, and Jimmy changes the name of his practice, having given up trying to fly straight for good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MarksMan posted:

I read a long time ago that K9 dogs can smell something like 1/1000th of a gram of cocaine, or 1mg. I used to weigh out RC's in 5-10mg doses and 1mg is an incredibly small amount.

A recent study found that K9 dogs respond extremely strongly to their handlers' cues. The researchers found that if you make a test designed to fool the dog into detecting drugs where there aren't any, the dog will give a false positive about 50% of the time...but if you make a test that fools the handler into thinking there are drugs when there aren't, the dog will alert 90% of the time. Whoops. :can:

Pocket Billiards posted:

The cocaine in the shoe setup was getting up there with Breaking Bad for suspension of disbelief. To me it's just a little too clever and outlandish.

The tracker in the petrol cap thing was great writing and plausible. The shoe thing stepped over the line a bit I thought. Like Breaking Bad it doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all, just a bit of a stretch in plausibility.

why is it surprising that a show which is set in the same fictional setting as Breaking Bad, which is also a direct prequel to Breaking Bad, and which is produced by the same people who made Breaking Bad has the same occasional excursions into comic-book exaggeration like Breaking Bad?

Presumably you watched and enjoyed the show where a man with half a face steps out of a room that has just exploded and adjusts his tie before collapsing, where a DEA informant's head is discovered attached to a tortoise-timebomb in the desert, where a high school chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin murders a family of nazis with a remote-controlled machine gun he built out of a garage door opener, but now "a methodical mercenary who was probably a sniper in Vietnam manages to hit a small target with a sniper rifle from a long range" is stretching the limit for you?

yeesh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm sure we're going to find out eventually. It's a huge obvious mystery in the show and Hector is Mike's most obvious nemesis.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

They will have to find a way out of the disbarment, because if Jimmy is disbarred, he cannot be Saul, his face is on TV commercials. I don't think Jimmy will get away Scott free, I think him being in jail will give him time to make underworld contacts, learn the ins and outs of things like laundering, and all that fun stuff.

Jimmy doesn't need to go to prison to learn the ins and outs of money laundering. Until he decided to get a law degree, he was making a living as a literal con man. I'm sure he understands perfectly well how to sneak around just below the law.

EatinCake posted:

So Kim leaving his life is clearly going to be a breaking point for Jimmy turning full on Saul. Anyone want to start a pool on whether she:

- dies
- leaves him because he goes to far this time!
- ends up in prison because of working with him somehow

I think it'll be either
(good ending) Jimmy decides that being a criminal lawyer suits him better than being Matlock, starts operating as Saul, and Kim decides that she can't associate herself with him any more because her career as a Real Lawyer is taking off. She says she's going to leave but Jimmy kindly lets her take over W/M, removes his name, and leaves her alone, immersing himself fully in the criminal lawyer world that he fits so well; or,

(bad ending) all the poo poo that Jimmy keeps pulling ruins his reputation and Kim's by association -- Mesa Verde pulls out, she's blacklisted in Albuquerque -- so she leaves him in disgust and is never heard from again. In his sorrow over losing Kim (and his brother too), Jimmy burns all his bridges and decides to start living as Saul.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't remember the interaction exactly but he doesn't introduce himself as Jimmy McGill, I don't think. He's making some small talk about Jewish lawyers and comments that "Saul Goodman's just for show, my real name's McGill"

e: well, there it is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about that. We haven't seem Kim and Jim really acting like a couple this season, that I can recall at least. All of their interactions have been platonic and professional. For that matter have we even seen where Jimmy lives at this point in the show? Is it still in the broom closet at the nail salon?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah it was a firehouse Edgar Allen Ho, not a police station. And Cnut the Great, according to Sepinwall the significance might just be that that's apparently the very same firehouse that Walt brings the baby to in Ozymandias.

I imagine there's plenty of significance in the juxtaposition of Gus talking to a bunch of firemen and the show lingering for a moment on the gas lantern sitting on the newspapers.

Jimmy and Kimmy's strategy goes off perfectly, Chuck's entire story is discredited, and Jimmy keeps his law license. Chuck loses his mind (or maybe even has disbarment proceedings brought against him as a result of what comes out in the hearing) and goes home and in his distraught state he knocks over a lantern and burns down his house. Maybe he's committed as a danger to himself, or maybe he actually dies in the fire. Either one pushes Jimmy closer to working as Saul.

Karmine posted:

At this point the only main character from BrBa who it makes any sense to introduce would be Hank and as much as I'd like to see him, I think that would make it feel just a little TOO much like Breaking Bad when they've got a really excellent show in its own right.

In a future scene with Jimmy at the municipal court, we glimpse in the background Marie Schrader, who is there with her husband pleading for clemency after the first time she's caught shoplifting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know much about doctoring documents and whatnot, but would the bar association not be able to tell whether there was any fakery? I'm sure there are experts in the field that would spot it in a heartbeat.

Not that they'd want to go to that sort of effort, but still.

If they really wanted to go down that road, yes, it would be fairly easy to detect the faked documents. A trained professional could likely spot the differences between prints from Chuck's printer (original) and ones made at the copy shop (doctored). Jimmy might be superhumanly good with an X-Acto knife but it's more likely that there would be subtle shifts in the text baseline and spacing that, again, a pro would be able to notice. But most importantly, every large commercial printer and copier actually tags its prints (as an anti-counterfeiting measure) with a nearly-invisible code of faint yellow dots, including the printer model and serial number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_steganography

So all they have to do is have a tech examine the documents that Chuck claims are doctored, discover that their coding indicates they were printed on a Huge rear end Xerox owned by Discount Copy Shop instead of a personal laser printer, and the evidence against Jimmy is irrefutable.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the showrunners actually addressed this though. It would just make things a shitload more complicated and the hidden coding isn't a widely-known thing among the public anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Griefor posted:

Am I reading too much into this?

In this shot, Jimmy and Kim are both dressed in their lawyers' suits, carrying briefcases, drawing attention to the aspects of their characters that are similar (they are both lawyers). However, they are walking through a double-door with a mullion prominently placed between them. This symbolizes that there is a wall between them -- not a literal wall, of course, here it is just an image that looks like one -- that separates them somehow. The double doors separated in this manner could in fact be interpreted as two separate doors, as though there are two potential paths that lawyers could take in their careers (not just different paths through the city but metaphorical paths, doing different things and working with different types of clients). Therefore in this shot Jimmy and Kim are shown to be two lawyers, similar in many ways, currently walking (working) side by side but on two different paths (career trajectories). But what trajectories could those be? Kim is on the right side of the shot, in the "right" door, and Jimmy is on the left. "Right" does not only refer to a relative physical orientation, but is also a synonym for "correct" or "good." Kim is on the "good" "career path". Jimmy's positioning on the left is far more subtle -- in ancient European culture dating back to the Roman era, upon which modern Western society is based, the left side became associated with evil. The Latin term for left, "sinister," survives today as an adjective used for those people who are devious, conniving, plotting to commit misdeeds. Thus, we can infer that Jimmy being on the left places him on a more "sinister" "career path" (remember, not just a physical path out of the court building) than Kim, who is on the "right" (literally and figuratively) side.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

Who the gently caress is that guy sittin in the doorway on a chair on wheels? That's like an accident waiting to happen.

Chair on wheels is obviously a reference to Hector Salamanca.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So the bar hearing results in some bullshit that Jimmy can't practice the law under the name James McGill anymore and he has to come up with a new name to get around that. Done.

Why would the bar ever assign that particular form of punishment? It's ridiculous and I doubt it's something that could be legally enforced, even by a team of lawyers. Remember in season 1 when Jimmy put up the billboard that looked just like HHM's, but with JMM, in the same shade of Hamlindigo Blue? The judge said that he was allowed to practice under his own name, and he just couldn't copy their branding.

Unless you mean that Chuck will somehow win a civil suit that bars Jimmy from using the McGill name, and that seems even more preposterous.

I imagine that Jimmy operates as Saul Goodman for the reasons that he stated in Breaking Bad -- he thinks he can market himself better as a Jewish lawyer. He's going to have some break with his brother at some point, but the decision to quit associating himself with McGill will be his alone.

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t that only colour printers?

All commercial color printers and photocopiers, yes, but Wikipedia suggests that some black-and-white printers do it too.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 3, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

He took some pictures of how Chuck is living and the information of someone unknown from his address book.

Well, we assume he got someone's information from the address book, because that's what's in an address book usually. But Mike just said "it was in his address book," so it could also have been anything else just tucked inside (e.g. the address to the secret storage unit where Chuck has a tape duplicating machine and ten thousand copies of the tape!)

(I am almost certain it's his ex-wife's contact info)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's much more tragic if (during BB) Kim is still alive and simply chooses to have nothing to do with Jimmy. Killing her off would be an incredibly cheap and hollow way for Jimmy to experience that loss. She won't die.

Another way that this show is a lot slower than Breaking Bad is in how few people have died/been killed. We're in the third season and the total list of deaths that I can remember are

- the truck driver
- the civilian who found the truck driver (offscreen, only referred to)
- the two dirty cops that Mike shot (in a flashback)

In Breaking Bad's very first episode, Walt killed one of the drug dealers with phosphine, and the bodies just kept piling up from there. This far into BB there had been dozens of deaths on-screen, and hundreds if you count the 737.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 5, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Not not only has Walt almost achieved the safety and stability he's been looking for,

how do people keep thinking this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

…much to the chagrin of the natives.

I've seen a couple of little features on that town with the radio silence (which, for those who haven't watched the video, is because there's an extremely sensitive radio observatory in the area) and I've always wondered what all the PhD scientists and engineers who work there think of the "no, I can totally feel the wifi in my bones, it burns me like fire" crowd.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Inventing an entire fictional fast food menu seems pretty drat amusing for the writers or whoever designed it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ughghhhhhh todd's lydia ringtone was so creepy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If you think skylar was a bitch you just might be

There was a time in season 1 and early season 2 where her character was being inexplicably petty to Walt, acting real hard-done-by that he was acting weird after being diagnosed with a terminal illness and going on chemotherapy (which fucks up everything in your body, mental state included, in unpredictable ways). Both of them needed to be in therapy.

The constant hatred some people on the internet had for her, though, was just staggering.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

What if you thought Skylar was a bitch.... to her sister?

She kinda was, once she was fully on the Walt train. It's amazing her sister even talked to her anymore.

Marie was the only person in the whole series who never did anything wrong (petty shoplifting notwithstanding) -- she knew what was right, and instantly did it every time she had to. Like when she found out that her brother-in-law was a murderous drug dealer and her sister was either protecting him or completely under his control, her immediate reaction was "okay, gotta get this baby out of here right now." No second-guessing or moping about it like everyone else in the series.

I think she's my favorite character

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've been thinking about it and Breaking Bad fails the Bechdel test pretty spectacularly for a critically-acclaimed TV series with 5 seasons

There are only ten named female characters that I can think of, after wracking my brain, and only six of them are really plot-critical:

Skyler
Marie
Jane
Lydia
Gretchen
Andrea
---------------
Wendy (meth addict hooker)
Carmen (high school principal)
Kaylee (Mike's granddaughter)
Francesca (Saul's receptionist)

And of the six important ones, the only ones to ever meet each other are Skyler and Gretchen/Skyler and Marie, and all of their conversations are about Walt (or Ted) in one way or another.

Yikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is also a Breaking Bad thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, but just like everything on the internet, people don't use it the way it was intended. It's also by no means a hallmark of quality of the characters it describes. A scene with a bunch of offensively stereotypical ditzy blondes talking about shoes, shopping, lipstick, and babies would pass, but a strong female soldier leading a group of men to victory wouldn't. It's a flawed and silly benchmark in that regard.

I think it's particularly meaningful in a TV show, though, where you have dozens of hours of content. Breaking Bad is about 48 hours long, and throughout that entire run, there's been one (1) conversation, lasting like 3 minutes, that was between two women and which was not about a man or the activities of a man.

Of course, Breaking Bad is also a show that's centered around a man, and it's predominantly about violent crime, which is almost exclusively committed by men. But still pretty sobering to see that reality and just how accepted it is by society.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah he's lost so much weight I wasn't 100% sure it was Huell at first.

Goon Face Blindness strikes again

Supercar Gautier posted:

If Huell stole something from Chuck that would be a problem, but he didn't do that. He just planted a harmless item on him.

It seems kind of odd to me that Huell "professional pickpocket" Babineaux shows up in court to testify on the record to his ability to perform sleight-of-hand. That seems like a kinda self-destructive move.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Who in the BB universe looks the most like a Bethesda character model? I'd say Todd

Well given Bethesda's capacity for character animation I'm gonna say Walt Jr.

straight to hell

Platystemon posted:

They should have replaced the exit signs with radioactive tritium versions for that wholesome EM‐free illumination.

Light is EM radiation

PassTheRemote posted:

You know what touch I liked, when Hamlin was on the witness stand talking about how Jimmy was not hired due to fear of nepotism, and Kim asking who the other Hamlin was. I swear I saw a smirk out of the side of Howard's mouth, like a "well played".

he sure does

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/KlutzyVibrantFlyinglemur-mobile.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

5 more, isn't it? This is a 10-episode season.

I know all the cretins in this thread like to complain that the show is too slow but I wonder if they realize that basically this entire Chuck vs. Jimmy Hearing story has taken place in 5 episodes? This season started out just after Chuck made the recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think he was that big of a bastard in this episode. No more than Chuck has been to him, anyway. What we saw was Jimmy being a skilled defense attorney, leading his opponent into a trap and discrediting his testimony. If he were up against anyone other than his brother, everyone would just be smitten with his skill.

And I don't think it's going to be anything to do with Chuck's insanity ruining the reputation of the McGill name that causes Jimmy to start operating as Saul. I think he still truly feels sorry for his brother, and he's going to change his name out of respect for him, so that the McGill name can go out with Charles when he gets forced into retirement from HHM. I don't think they'd go so far as to have him disbarred unless he truly loses his mind and continues to try to bring suits against his brother.

• Locked thread