Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I love this show. I love Chuck calling out Perry Mason confessions and he ends up doing one. I love Huell pulling the old switcharoo. I love arts and crafts with Mike. I love Gus one-upping old man Salamanca. I love Francesca slow-burning her way to becoming Saul's world weary secretary. Love it all.

Just hope that Kim makes it out of all this alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

TwoStepBoog posted:

HHM's image damaged.
Chuck's credibility ruined.
Rebecca finds out Chuck is mentally ill.
Mesa Verde is now justified in leaving HHM for Kim.
Jimmy walks free.

All in one episode.
God :drat:

A lot happened even though arguably there was only one location (flashback doesn't count). What should've been a bottle episode ended up feeling like it was non-stop stuff happening.

Even though it didn't really help them in the end, Kim shooting down the nepotism claim was my favorite part of the episode. Hamlin just wants to go home and sleep it off.

He'll have to tell Chuck they're done professionally and Chuck will end up inside a mental institution from which Jimmy can't rescue him.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Platystemon posted:

Still uses the pickpocket skill.

Sneaking an active grenade into an NPC's inventory is one of life's simple pleasures

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

:boom:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Cnut the Great posted:

Huell has magic hot dog fingers.

My college nickname :wmwink:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

some guy on the bus posted:

To resurrect Walt and make Breaking Bad 2.

Walt gets resurrected by the Fountain of Youth. "Jesse, we have to destroy the Fountain of Youth!"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Do you guys think the show will eventually move into the monochromatic Cinnabun hellscape?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Just to get this straight, Saul's in hiding because Walt was dragging everyone to hell with him? It's been so long since I've seen Breaking Bad but I don't remember the specific reason he disappeared.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Breaking Badger

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Lonos Oboe posted:

As for the doctoring incident. It's worth remembering that if Chuck said, "Aw poo poo, I must have made a mistake. I can't understand how it happened. But we'll fix it" He more than likely would not have lost the account. Only by his over reacting and arrogance, did Jimmy manage to screw him both times.

I completely agree. I think a defining moment for him came from when he insists his paperwork was right and questioned whether the client knew their own address. His arrogance turned a simple clerical error into a huge mess. He must have been hell to work with even when he wasn't wrapped in tin foil.

Lonos Oboe posted:

The way the court and everyone cow-towed to Chuck's "illness" is a great way to show how important he is. It's like celebrity.

And in the light that the Emperor's clothes are off Jimmy shamed Chuck, Hamlin, the court, and even himself a little for enabling Chuck's delusion to such a degree for so long. Instead of forcing him to come to terms with his delusional thinking, everyone played along with him and let him waste away as a recluse. When he first thought he had EM sensitivity I wonder if everyone was too polite to tell him he was making it up or whether they didn't want to put up with a guy who has to be right 100% of the time.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

wait, is it canon that huell is ex-spook?

CIA might take a fattie, but Delta, no way.

Washington has a elite defense organization made up entirely of assets who are too valuable to discard but too fat to stand or walk for too long. They are the Taft-Men.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

These sort of questions lead me to thinking about the logistics of mid-to-street level organized crime. How do you know who to sell drugs to? Do you just sell to people you know? Where do you hide the drugs? At what point do you need to launder money? How do you become a fence? How do fences find buyers for their stolen stuff? Is there one guy everybody knows who forges documents? Do hitmen hire themselves out or are they just one guy in a crime organization who does the lion's share of the killing? Do back-alley doctors become vets first or do they wait for retired corrupt policemen to show up on their doorstep and offer them cash for service?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

But I like how The Vet genuinely seems to enjoy being shady as gently caress.

I'd like to think if I were involved in shady dealings I'd revel in it too. I'd probably be the guy with the baseball cards and the hummer though. I think that's part of the appeal of Breaking Bad. With a little effort, you too can roll with the gangsters.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Reposting from the Ad thread

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Herv posted:

I think it's safe to assume that his wife finally got sick of his poo poo. His poo poo being unable to admit fault, even the slightest bit like leaving the seat up.

Combine that with long buried 'but precious Jimmy!' daddy/mommy issues, and you have yourself a rubber room candidate.

I think so too. Chuck suffers from being an aggressively boring person and the two of them probably drifted apart. Since Chuck lets things get to him and doesn't let them go there was probably a mountain of little things he said/did that made her want to be separated.

It wouldn't surprise me though if she defended or praised Jimmy during one late night conversation that ended up getting eternally stuck in his craw.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

When will you all learn? Actors are part of a super race who age slower than the rest of us.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

precision posted:

uhhh how has nobody posted this yet???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiSvpZfHL4

Man I really want some Tex-Mex style fried chicken/curly fries. I don't even know what Pollos Hermanos would taste like but I want them.

Which brings us back to the Fatty Fat Fat diet video :smith:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

The whole deal with Jimmy and the skateboarders and Tuco served a very clear point both in introducing us to our main character and nudging him into new elements.

I'm really dense. I didn't put it together that Jimmy was Slippin' Jimmy until they literally spelled it out much later in the season.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm a little fuzzy, but IIRC maybe the ennui of not being hired at HHM may have contributed... obviously we'll never know for sure but my gut feeling is it may have put him in a different frame of mind that led to the D&M flame out

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He wanted to be as effective as possible in helping out the Sandpiper residents, so he made that specific commercial and bought specific airtime so they'd see it, and he aired it... Without consulting the higher ups at all. They got pissed, Jimmy only saw the results, and realized "I prefer my way".

Also from Jimmy's perspective, he's been his own boss since he started working. The only boss he's ever had (that we've seen) was his dad or Chuck and he knew he was smarter and cleverer than both of them. In his head he knew the commercial was going to work so he went into it with the excuse of "Better to ask for forgiveness than approval" and was shocked that he couldn't spin it around.

One of Jimmy's defining beliefs is that the results justify the means. He brought results to Davis & Main but they cared more about putting it through the proper channels and digesting his idea into a bland announcement commercial. He brought his law degree to Chuck but Chuck cared more about going to a proper law school and suffering for your crimes instead of redeeming yourself through hard work at "The University of American Samoa."

Davis & Main was stifling but it was stifling because it was grinding against who he was as a person. It's not that he always plays fast and loose all the time always, it's that he has to have the freedom to play fast and loose and cut through all the bullshit. That coworker of his who demanded the grammar of his business letters be just so and approved by her was his polar opposite.

This is why Cinnabon is hell. edit: I think I'm rambling

vermin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 18, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Voxx posted:

fill me up chandler, put it in me

Oh yeah, that's the way!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOca4KF1Ik

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Maybe that lady's husband disappeared using Ed the disappearer guy and this is how we'll be introduced to him!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And it's easy to see why stealing from their struggling dad would embitter Chuck towards Jimmy from an early age, even if the bitterness and blame isn't entirely rational. Imagine yourself in that situation and you'd probably be pissed at Jimmy too, if you loved your dad. It's a bit of a deeper hurt than conning randoms at the bar.

That's true. I have a sibling I throw shade at a lot for little things that happened when we were kids but get twisted into something bigger over time. I haven't gotten to the point of life ruining vitriol yet. I should probably give them a call and see how they're doing.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

It's like in Kitchen Nightmares where there's this old restaurateur who's owned their diner for decades and runs it their way and is flabbergasted that he's actually running it into the ground. And all the employees know the restaurant is losing money and it's bullshit but the owner wants it the way he wants it even if that means innocent customers get killed in the crossfire.

And then a franchise owner walks into town with a simple menu and makes hand over fist compared to the local family owned restaurants but they want to edge out the old diner owner anyway because they had their best frycook killed years earlier.

What I'm saying is, there should be a TV show about a gangster who gets hired by crime bosses to fix their failing mafias.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Kinda like Fargo season 2

:aaaaa: that fits surprisingly well

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

One thing that's both funny and aggravating to listen to is Pryce's consistent 'well, DUH' tone in his voice. Like, I get it; dude's in way over his head always, and never realizes it, and the actor plays it perfectly, but holy gently caress, I want to loving strangle him when I hear it.

Dude, don't assume you know more than Mike/Nacho/Saul/literally anyone you're dealing with, outside of your pharmacy.

"Man, I used to be the back alley doctor for the Sopranos and now I'm bottom-feeding in New Mexico...I'm so much better than this place."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Gus: "What did you say to me?"
Pryce: "Well, like... what will you do to me if I refuse? I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but I don't think I like it."

Pryce: "Threatening people is illegal, and I don't think you want to be getting in trouble with the police mister."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

tfw you realize that the cop in Gremlins is Mike

For a second I thought the sheriff from Gremlins was the sheriff in Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Probably because it occupies the same nostalgic cinematic headspace.

That is my Gremlins police department story.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Every time someone turns the lights off for Chuck I think how they'd react to the Never Nudes from Arrested Development.

Imagine Chuck shouting out ,"There are dozens of us! Dozens!"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Last Chance posted:

I always think of McKean as Mr. Green from Clue

My head's exploding Scanners style

How many loving films have I seen with McKean in it without realizing it?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Cnut the Great posted:

Little Jimmy Jr. and Saulette Andy and Ollie.

Jimmy gets off on a technicality and can go back to his old life. He gets hair transplants, has three kids with Kim, gets divorced, and takes his business experience from Cinnabon to heart so he can open a schlocky Italian pizzeria on the east coast

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Mods please change my name to Gaslighting Grandma

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Both of there posts are fine

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Best part of the episode was Hamlin and his masterstroke :potg:

RentACop posted:

Jimmy is like reverse jesus

Finally got to see the finale and I think this is my favorite post I've read during the reaction phase of the thread

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

-was a poo poo to his brother for years
-drove away his wife
-became a recluse and sucked the life out of Jimmy for years on sympathy
-pointlessly chased the white whale
-ruined his reputation, and the reputations of his peers
-willing to ruin everything he'd ever built for his own ego
-forcing a good hard-working man to go into enormous debt
-told his brother he never loved him
-destroyed his house, the last thing he really had
-and finally set himself on fire

In case anybody asked, the theme of the show is "self-destruction"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Roast Chuck

Ha!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Melisandre will bring him back with no consequences. They will then go on to conquer Hamlin & Hamlin with a starving divided thoroughly routed army of lawyers who've been fighting and dying to legal battles for years. The baseball card guy will inexplicably crown himself king of the New Mexican cartels and they will be fine with it. And Mike will drive the 20 minutes it takes to get to Germany from the North American southwest to get revenge on some guy from Breaking Bad season 1.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

We need to combine Married With Children with Breaking Bad

That's right Peggy. I'm the head honcho. The big enchilada. The one who knocks.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Someone needs to string together a video of all the times Howard says, "Could you give us the room please?"

Now that you mention it he does do that a lot. It speaks to how highly he thinks of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Hamlin Turned

Chuck Burned

• Locked thread