Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: In the deep dark.

I sit up slowly. Head pounding. What... where am I? I flex my fingers and toes. Okay, all my limbs are still attached. That's good... I look down, my dress is covered in dust, and rubble and little red shards. My armour. Pater. The fall! I can't help but feel the vertigo, and I roll onto my hands and feet to try and breath. I can't stop the retching. But I've eaten little today, and nothing comes out.

How long have I been down here? Minutes? Hours? I don't know. I just... I can feel Pater. He's stuck. Somewhere up there. Without him... no armour. No powers. I suddenly realise how cold I am. A summer dress isn't the best thing for braving the deep darkness of a cavern.

... I'm scared.

It takes me what feels like an hour before I get to my feet. Another hour before I take a tentative step. That's when I hear the *boom*! The Golum! The Golum was still alive! I dart to cover. Listening hard. Heart hammering. Please don't find me! Please don't find me!!

I don't have a choice. I've got to find a path. I was never any good at climbing. Without Pater's strength I was never scaling the walls. There had to be a path! As terrified as I am, I couldn't risk being found! I'd die. I don't want to die down here in the dark all alone! I've never even kissed anyone! I've not become a woman yet! It wasn't fair! Sentinel! Vane! Where were you! Why weren't you here! I need you.....!

- - -

Going to look for a path and stay stealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Red Errant

You wander for what feels like an hour. Likely, it wasn't that long - but in a situation like this evry second feels like a minute, every minute an age...

It's really, really hard to find your way down here. There are no land marks, and to you, every hallway looks the same. No, wait, this room is different from the others! Eagerly, you pry open to door - only to see a familiar sight...

Red, broken armor pieces. You've managed to find another entrance to the place you started in. That... that's just great. But wait, what's this?

*boom* *boom*

The golem is really close! Hastily, you escape the room before it sees you. After an unfortunately aimless escape, you find yourself in more nondescript hallways, and these are even darker than the others. The shadows weren't nearly as terrifying when you had Pater around!

A few minutes later, you finally find something useful - a map! Unfortunately, it's stuck behind a pane of glass. So tantalizingly close... but yet unreachable. You could try and study it, but the hallway you are in is really dark.


You're still stuck on the lower levels, and the golem has your trail but hasn't found you yet. The map could be really useful, if only you could study it for a bit...

Your options are the following:

a) Leave the map here, and move on swiftly to try and lose the golem,
b) Try studying the map silently, forcing you to remain stationary for some time,
c) Find something to smash the glass with and take the map with you, making a lot of noise in the process

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 4, 2017 around 02:07

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: In the deep dark.

I need time... time to work out where I am. The map is a good start. But I'm under a lot of pressure. There's something following me. It's big and stompy, so it's got to be rock face. I force myself to be silent, calm. I need to study the map.

- - -

Picking option B

- - -

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Red Errant

Yes! Even though it took you some time, knowing where the open area you landed in was helped you figuring out the map a lot. Swiftly, you move up the stairs. A quick look down reveals the golem, slowly stalking about! It looks like it didn't realize you went up a level yet. Hell yes.

You've arrived on floor 2! At least you think it is...

Moving up, you find yourself on the middle floor of... wherever you are.

Right now, you're on what looks like a balcony combined with a walkway. There's no immediate roofing - above you appears to be simply cave rock. As a result, this place is really, really drafty. And, you know, your clothes aren't exactly... warm. Walking forward, you immediatedly realize the floor is filled with puddles... because you stepped into one.

A shiver shoots up your spine in response to the ice-cold water. Navigating the puddles, you quickly realize that the map from the last floor only covers the this floor and the former one. Thankfully, the way to the next staircase is fairly simple - it's pretty much a straight line. Unfortunately, it's a LONG straight line - basically all the way towards the other end of this floor. Who designed this place?!

Lost in your thoughts, you get blindsided by a loud crash.

The first thing you realize is that it's from the floor below you. The golem must have started just going through walls in its attempts to find you, shaking up the very foundations of the place.

The second thing you notice? You're suddenly very, very cold. And wet. You just landed in a puddle. Getting up quickly, you quickly realize you're completely soaked. The cloth is now sticking to your skin, and overall it feels incredibly awful. Getting up, you -- achoo!

... That's not good...

Immediately, your sight turns towards the rooms to your right, which appear to be residental areas.


You're a level higher, and the golem completely lost your trail. Things were looking good... until you inadvertedly got yourself knocked in a puddle by the drat thing! You've bought yourself a lot of time, but unless you're feeling reckless, you need to find something to cover yourself in - freezing is a very, very real danger here, and so are involuntary sneezes attracting attention.

Your options are the following:

a) Press on, wasting no time getting further up. Distances you even further from the golem, but neglecting to deal with the cold in some fashion is very likely to cause problems down the line.
b) Find something simple to cover yourself with, like a blanket. Going to take some time to warm it up with your body heat, but also easier to find.
c) Find some cold-weather clothes, or some other source of warmth. There's no real guarantee there'll be one down here, but it'd resolve your issue quickly.

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Saviour: -1 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: N/A, Holding +1 Forward on (Droid Dissection, or Defending Nirian) | Location: Battlefield; Me, Gateway, and the ice Skeleton.

Everything had become a blur since he had seen the rogue skeleton. He had ran to save Gateway, but not fast enough. The world rolled and churned, falling out from around Marcus and leaving him, his fellow page, and the enemy on an isolated pocket of ground. Even if someone else noticed their plight and wanted to help, it would be difficult. They would need to save themselves.

His hands rested on the chunk of ice encasing his ally. It held an odd, supernatural cold. His senses shivered, warning him that this ice could bite flesh.

But,

quote:

Scrree - Today at 8:15 AM
/roll 2d6+2 #Marcus Unleashes His Powers!
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:15 AM
@Scrree: 2d6+2 Marcus Unleashes His Powers! = (1+6)+2 = 9 (+1 for Influence!) = 10
Marcus Unleashes his Powers to Free Gateway from her icy imprisonment!

His hands were not flesh, but iron. No frost could burn his skin, and so he raised his metal fist in the the air - and pummeled the prison with a loud clang. His entire body went into full motion, shattering and scooping out big chunks of ice, but infused with a delicate precision that above all avoided harming the body encased within. After a brief moment of tearing a hole into the ice, he reached into what he perceived was the spine of the structure, and pushed outwards with all of his might. The prison split in half, and then collapsed into useless chunks around Gateway.

There was a small flow of steam rising from his back, and he felt a strange lethargy roll throughout his limbs. His rusted and as-of-yet unrepaired parts could not sustain that level of power for long. He would need a brief moment to recover himself from the exertion.

Still, there was something he needed to do, "Are you okay?" Marcus asked, and reached down to the now-free Gateway. Even if he barely had the strength to lift her, she could still use him to pull herself up -- he was solid like that.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: +3
Potential:3/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Sharville

Terror…? Certainly, I felt terror, but not from the foes that stood before me. Foes that could be faced with blade and courage. Foes that I knew how to confront. There was caution in the wake of being left alone with Matakite against the mages, but not terror. What frightened was the loss of Red Errant, the injuring of Gateway, the sheer surprise I felt from the sudden shifting of the tides. Were we not holding the advantage just moments prior? Then why, how was it, that the battle suddenly looked so bleak? What could be done to turn the tables from here? Was there something that could be done…?

No! Now more than ever, there was no time for such doubts. Another shout from Matakite, who stood with me with back to back, only furthered that resolve. Yes, this was no place for hesitation. If all I could do was fight, then all I would do was fight. Stand with sword in hand, as many times as it took. Trust in the others to protect Gateway, and trust in Red Errant that should would survive. Such was my role, such was my duty. With a wordless nod to Matakite, I allow her to charge ahead. But instead of immediately following, I instead run a finger alongside my blade, breathing deep.

“And I must trust in you as well. Someday I shall have to christen you, when the moment is right. For now, however, I rely on you once again, my nameless companion.”

Mind steeled and ready, I rush towards the caster of flames, whose guard is well and down from Matakite’s leading assault. And brittle bones such as these, I think to myself, are no match for the Sentinel’s armaments! Unleashing a number of cuts, slashes, and thrusts that leave no opportunity for a counter-spell, one final strike cleaves the fire mage’s skull in two.

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 8:31 PM
/r 2d6+2 #Sentinel charges in and engages the Skeletal Mages! (Fire Mage)

SidekickBOT-Today at 8:31 PM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6+2 Sentinel charges in and engages the Skeletal Mages! = (4+6)+2 = 12

Resisting blows and creating an opportunity, as usual!

Releasing that tensed breath from before, I almost wanted to laugh as Vane crashed down onto our side of the battlefield. Ghorza’s work, I presumed. Girl certainly had a great deal of strength to her, no doubt. Then, much to my surprise, he immediately calls out to me, his words ringing very much familiarly. At that, a smile does blossom, and it is with perhaps more pep in my tone than was appropriate for both the situation and words that I say,

“You need not ease my doubts, Vane. At least, not anymore. I will not lie to you, for a moment there… for a moment there I did question if we would prevail this day. However… we eight,” and it is with emphasis I said that number, “will not fail, will not falter. So please, let me see that spearwork of yours. Amusing as it was to see you put a boot to the wind mage, ‘tis not an usually effective strategy, I’ve found.”

Clearing Insecure from Vane's comfort/support!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1/5 | Conditions: None, +1 on next roll involving Sebastian | Location: Sharville Containment Area


Well, Gateway would scream if she could. But she can't. Between not being able to breathe and getting impaled, that careful part of her brain just shuts down as she goes into full panic. It's not like she's ever had to fight like this before, and... well. All that careful control, all that deliberation is just lost. Once the ice is broken, elemental energies are flickering off of her, jetting out of her wound as if it were a rapidly shifting portal. "No, Marcus, you have to- have to-", she mumbles as he catches ahold of her, light flashing behind her eyes like holes to dozens of worlds. The last thing she wants to do is hurt Marcus, but all she can feel is the storm raging before the lightning strike before she opens like a portal for a moment, elemental energies too chaotic to be named boiling off of her in an iridescence that would be beautiful if it wasn't so destructive.

Okay, now she's screaming.

Take a Powerful Blow is a 12 (2d6), and - sorry, folks - it seems like "you lose control of your powers in a terrible way" feels most appropriate, so do as you will, Yami. And then Charging her Powers for a 13 (2d6 +3), which will grant 3 Burn.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gateway

As you feel your power going awry, seemingly aimlessly trying to pull power from another plane in an effort to try and help you, you suddenly feel a horrible, scratchy, echoing voice.

"You are the gate. You are the key... Do not think you anything more than a tool..."

As the voice echoes in your head, your power slips completely out of your grasp, and it settles on a most disturbing plane: The land of the dead. In a huge burst of power, the entire platform you stand on is engulfed by a horrible burst of necromantic energies, and your would-be savior gets knocked far, far away from you!

Your very body screams in agony as you are forced to open portal after portal against your will, and you are unable to muster any resistance as a seemingly endless mass of bone and flesh engulfs you entirely.



The horrible voice returns, laughing in an ear-splitting intensity. "Yesss.... you will do fine as a conduit, little girl..."

As it says this, the countless bones around you deforms, turning into chains of bone that pull your body in every which way, and through the chains you can feel your power being sapped out. Shortly after, the pain proves too much to bear, and you pass out...

The Eater of the Dead has arrived. You have served well, Summoner... Now, you will serve in a different way.


Marcus

The blast of vile darkness proves too much for even your metal body to withstand, and you are launched backwards - straight into Lady Fury! In a disoriented tumble, the two of you fall down into the hole created by the golem's first strike! Reflexibly, you grab onto Lady Fury's legs to stop your fall, but you prove too heavy and your hands slide down to her feet, tearing off a part of her dress in doing so.

Take a powerful blow.


Lady Fury

A huge blast of energy coming from gateway stops all other considerations - and instinctively turning around, the first thing you see is Marcus hitting you face first!

Take a powerful blow.

You two tumble due to the sheer momentum involved, and fall straight off your little piece of platform!

Seemingly finally able to stabilize his movement, Marcus grabs onto your legs to try and slow his fall - a good idea in theory, but... you realize that Marcus is a lot heavier than a human, and he seems unable to properly hold onto you - and your feet hurt like HELL from the strain, as if they were going to be torn away any moment. You're going to need to find some place to land, and fast...


Ghorza

While religious people still wonder which deities are real, right now it doesn't matter - you're sure as hell praying for them right now. Thanks to that wound, Gateways power went berserk, and... this horrifying abomination appeared and just completely... swallowed her up! And as if that wasn't bad enough, Lady Fury just got knocked down the hole with Marcus, which means you are completely stranded on the middle platform!

As the abomination grows and grows bigger every second, it's already engulfed the entire hallway where the barricade used to be, and it's hungry, hungry mouth inches ever closer. Backpedaling, you soon hit the edge of the platform, and nearly fall.

And then, something completely unexpected happens. The earth mage skeleton summons up a platform to catch you! No, wait. On closer inspection, it created an entire bridge for you to rejoin whoever's left topside. Could it be that these things are far more terrified of this monstrosity than they are of you?


Team Mage Bashers (Vane, Matakite, Sentinel)

Despite the fact that you just vanquished the flame wielding skeleton, these things make no attempt to fight back. No, instead, they are staring at the abomination that now stands where Gateway used to be. The earth user even helped out Ghorza, who was trapped. Could it be that they want to team up against that monster? It's... not the worst idea. You can downright FEEL the evil it radiates, and the danger it presents causes you to shiver. And the stench is enough to feel one nauseous. You need to save Gateway, and quickly.


Red Errant

A loud noise from up top distracts you momentarily. Looking up, you notice it is Lady Fury and Marcus! Did they get knocked off the platform too..?



Gateway

Your body is motionless, but your mind is far from inactive. You wake up, and find yourself in the land of the dead. You are on a raised platform, and below you march countless undead, seemingly ignorant of your presence, for now.

Shirking back instinctively to hide, you realize just how empty you feel right now - your power has been stolen by the Eater of the Dead. Oh dear. But still, there has to be SOMETHING you can do to help the others. Maybe you could strike a bargain with the lord of this plane..?

Whatever you do, huddling up on this rock will do you no good...



quote:

Eater of the Dead
Conditions: None!

Trait: Amorphous Mass
Needs to made vulnerable in some fashion in order to be damaged.

Trait: Carrion Feeder
Regenerates one condition each round. Heals an additional condition if it is able to feast on corpses.

Trait: Grasping Dead
Physical blows in melee range cannot be resisted or avoided. On a 7-9, the attacker automatically gives ground in addition to another choice.

Trait: Bone Shell
To save Gateway, you'll need to make the Eater of the Dead vulnerable TWICE - but removing Gateway from will destroy it instantly.

Trait: ?????
???????

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 12, 2017 around 14:12

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

As events unfold faster than I could fathom them, I curse softly, "By the countless names...! What is that monstrosity?" It seems our earlier worries were merely the dimming of hope before it was fully extinguished. Gateway has been consumed, two more are lost to the void beneath us, and it is small comfort indeed that these undead magicians seem to seek common cause against our foe. My eyes play over the mass of flesh and bone that has enveloped Gateway. It feels... wrong. As if my very essence is being corrupted by its presence. A shiver finds its way down my spine. This is a far cry from bandits or boar, but... I shall not falter now. As the leader of this band, it is my responsibility to see this matter righted.

I look to Ghorza, Matakite, Sentinel, and even the remaining magicians, "It seems clear that our quarrel with these mages must wait in the light of that. We must save Gateway and banish whatever foul demon has possessed her." I look at the skeletons, "If you would lend your arcane might to our cause, I have the beginnings of a plan." I pause a beat, ready to field any immediate objections, then continue on, "It seemed to my eye that Gateway remains trapped within. If we are to remove her from within that creature, it may lose whatever connection has allowed it to manifest."

This is almost entirely supposition. My knowledge of the arcane was superficial at the best of times, but this at least allowed a small semblance of hope. Perhaps I was only fooling myself and she was, in fact, utterly lost, but still. I would not rest if the possibility remained. The only obstacle would be the willingness of the skeletons to follow my directives.

I look at the skeleton of green, assembled once more, and his comrade in blue, "If you could freeze the coating of flesh and bone in place, then Matakite, your brown-robed comrade, and Sentinel could develop a path towards the core of this monster with sheer force. The Lady Ghorza and I would use that path to remove Gateway and, with a healthy dose of luck, that should see the end to this threat. What say you all? We have little time to speak while it gathers its full strength, but I would not risk all of our lives on such a plan without your agreement."

My eyes play across the crowd. It seemed a reasonable suggestion, but I'd be a fool to ignore any counsel at this pivotal moment.

Tricky fucked around with this message at May 6, 2017 around 23:35

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1/5 | Conditions: None, +1 on next roll involving Sebastian | Location: Sharville Containment Area


Gateway stirs, pushing herself up and looking at the sight around her. She'd seen many strange things under Ketill's tutelage, but this was still horrifying, something he'd kept her from. Even that was overshadowed, however, by the regret weighing her down. She'd failed them in the worst way... and certainly hurt Marcus again. Maybe it was better that she ended up here, she thought. Maybe she was just a menace.

Getting up, she stared out and towards the Citadel. Though the pain in her back remained, her doubts and self-loathing cut far deeper. She herself couldn't explain why she even bothered to ponder her situation, considered she might get out. Maybe there was still a spark of hope. Or maybe she just still wasn't eager to get torn apart by skeletons.

Let's Assess the Situation for a 8, and ask "what here can I use to get to the citadel?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004




Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Saviour -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1 | Conditions: None | Location: Sharville Containment Area


…well, this is unexpected. And for a seeress, that is truely a novel feeling.

Matakite can only offer a shrug towards Drake. "You want me ta' hit hard? I can do that." Is all she offers in comment. She was used to dealing with monsters on the sea, sure, but actual huge creatures from other dimensions? She was actually a little stunned. Enough so that she hadn't smashed the other skeleton on instinct yet at all.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: +3
Potential:3/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: Sharville

I stare up, blank-faced, at the… thing. The thing that was once Gateway. Still was? I… didn’t know, couldn’t say. None of the stories I heard from Father or Grandfather ever mentioned a creature such as this. Extraplanar beings were… outside the usual creatures that the Sentinels fought. Still, that didn’t mean I was planning on backing down. Gateway may have been transformed (?), Marcus and Lady Fury may have been lost to that accursed pit, but four of us still stood strong. And… the mages as well. I look to Vane, my voice at first somewhat uncertain as I say,

“...I admit that I am worried about relying on undead beings such as these. However, I also admit that they possess some form of intelligence, and certainly a great deal of magical talent. The latter being something we remaining here could certainly use against this… entity. ...Very well! I shall entrust my sword to your plan, Vane.”

Yes, Vane could be trusted. But could the mages…? Well, no point in thinking about that now. First and foremost, Gateway had to be saved.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at May 8, 2017 around 18:32

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gateway

You use the skeleton's march, and your resulting inability to move to take a closer look at your surroundings.

A river of a vicious black fluid is probably the most eye-catching feature around you, with only numberless rocks hills dotting the landscape otherwise. Eventually, you spot a figure which immediately reminds you of the myths of old --

Charon.


It's a bit of a long shot - but Charon is said to be very friendly. He usually ferries the deceased for a very small sum of money - which, sadly, you do not help. But still, it can't hurt to ask, right? Maybe... there's some other way you can convince him to help you out.

A few minutes later, the marching skeleton pass by, and you are free to leave the rock. As soon as you climb down, however, you are suddenly thrown off-balance by something heavy. As you recover from the momentary disorientation, you see a strange round bone covering your ankes and wrists - you soon recognize them as the same ones holding your physical body in place.

Right after, the screeching voice mentally taunts you once more with a ear-shattering volume. "Do not get any ideas, summoner - you are mine, now. Simply sit still and do your part."

As you recover, you realize that you aren't actually bound to anything - you do, however, notice a set of spectral chains leading back to the rock you started on. When you move away from it, you feel a strange pull towards it, as if it's calling you back. Still, nothing is stopping you from pressing onward - but the weight of the bone clinging to you is slowing you down noticably.


Vane

The green skeleton makes a strange motion with it's head, then looks at you and gives you a thumbs up. Seeing this, the blue one quickly does the same, but the brown clothed one stares at you menacingly for a second before also giving a thumbs up. It seems they're agreeing with your plan.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 7, 2017 around 22:49

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1/5 | Conditions: None, +1 on next roll involving Sebastian | Location: The Underworld


"My part?" Gateway actually laughs bitterly. "You don't know how good I am at ruining even the simplest thing.", she replies plainly as she slowly gets up. She moves away from the rock, trying to get to Charon, but is willing to try and break the chains if she has to. This isn't her body. Maybe her mind can overcome its limits, in that case. But she pushes herself to move promptly - who knows when someone or something might happen upon her?

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at May 11, 2017 around 21:19

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gateway

Stepping forward, the mental pull back towards the rock is increasing a little, but nothing else happens - the Eater of the Dead doesn't respond either. Probably didn't even listen, and only spoke to you to taunt you. Jerk.

Regardless, as you walk up to the river, you notice a pier further down. It's completely vacated, however - nevertheless, as you walk up to it, Charon rows the boat over towards you.

He looks at you with what looks like curiosity, going by the body language - but it's hard to tell, what with him having no face. His empty eyes seem to study you.

"Hmm... now this is quite intriguing. What brings one of the living here, I wonder?" he asks you, with a hollow voice. He fastens his little boat to the pier, but makes no motion to leave it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1/5 | Conditions: None, +1 on next roll involving Sebastian | Location: The Underworld


"A-a..." A she considers. "... ghost? Something took over my body and banished me here.", Gateway says, grasping one of the pier's pillars as if to make sure she isn't tugged away. "I shouldn't be here. This isn't my time yet... isn't it?" She looks up to the figure, her face soured by what she has to add. "I don't exactly have my purse on me, though. Is there something else I may offer for passage?" She tries to remember what her mentor might have said - there might be some clue in her memories, or in Charon's words.

Seems like a good time to try and Pierce the Mask! The roll is a 11 (2d6), and may as well go with "how could I get Charon to give me passage to the world of the living?", "what does Charon want me to do?", and... hell, "how could I gain influence over Charon?"

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at May 11, 2017 around 21:19

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.




Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry (-2 Comfort/Support/Pierce), Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Pit

Hesitation takes hold of me again as I think things Ghorza's gotten Vane over, while I've been thinking, and I imagine I can grab her and get her over --

And then there's a blast of something, some terrible power, from Gateway, and Marcus is thrown back and collides with me, and we tumble together down --

Take a Powerful Blow: 2d6 11
AWESOME
Going to choose to mark two conditions (Angry and Insecure, as above) and give ground, via... tumbling into a pit and all.


Marcus is unthinkably heavy, and in shock and pain, I only barely manage to gather my wits and my wings about me. If I can control this fall properly, there's an outcropping that I think can support us. It's clear enough, and a ready descent...
No idea if I need a roll here, but if I do: Unleash Powers to land without further danger: 2d6+3 12

Thankfully, my wings don't fail me as my will has -- what's wrong with me? Why aren't I doing better? I've got to stay focused on this, because I've got to keep my end of things up, or this all ends... now that we've landed and the pain is starting to abate, my mind is racing with shame. Shame and a growing anger, I realize -- something did that. Something we've got to stop. Something I'm going to stop, if only to redeem myself.

"Marcus," I say. "Are you well? We have to get back there." I breathe deeply, trying to calm down, and try to focus on our situation. How can we get out of there and back to where we're needed?

Assess the situation in the pit: 2d6-1 6
... yep. At least marking Potential for these shenanigans.

EDIT: Scrree mentioned in Discord that Marcus will Team this to a 7, so here's my question: What here can I use to get us out of the pit?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at May 8, 2017 around 10:27

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Saviour: -1 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty! Insecure! , Holding +1 Forward on (Droid Dissection, or Defending Nirian) | Location: In a Pit, Emotionally and Physically!

This is a moment Marcus knows he will remember forever. As he stands over Gateway, as the chunks of her icy prison melt in his hands, time slows down to crawl. Seconds turn into hours. Marcus is confused; not by Gateway's quiet words, but by the expression on her face. It was an expression of fear and worry, an expression one sets when they realize great catastrophe is coming. To Marcus, it was inscrutably human. In that shot of frozen time, Marcus felt like he spent days examining and contemplating and reexamining the look Gateway was giving him, but when the end finally came he was no closer to understanding anything.

In truth, all that had lasted only a few seconds. Gateway let out a howl of primal energy, and then the world exploded.

Marcus felt himself falling, so he reached up for the first thing he saw -- Lady Lindenhall! One hand gripped around her leg, the other around the hem of her dress. Immediately, he felt his fellow Page's flight collapse under his weight. His rough iron hands bit harshly into her flesh, and in a state of panic Marcus tried to let go. He failed, a part of the dress caught on his hand despite his best attempts, and so his best attempts merely pulled Lady Fury even further off-balance. Together, they tumbled almost uncontrollably into the abyss.

He was very heavy, and the ground met him very fast --

quote:

Scrree - Yesterday at 9:20 AM
/roll 2d6 #Marcus takes a powerful blow!
SidekickBOT - Yesterday at 9:20 AM
@Scrree: 2d6 Marcus takes a powerful blow! = (2+6) = 8

But he was also very tough. The impact made his insides shudder, but they held together under the stress. The feedback of pain shot up from his his hands and forearms, but what was really hurting was his soul

Struggling Past the Pain, and Marking Guilty and Insecure!

What a burden he had been. Everyone was here, in Sharville, for him. Everyone had come into this battle for his sake, and his sake Gateway had...had... His thoughts trailed off into a chaotic jumble.

Lady Fury was up, standing before him. He glanced her way, was she asking him if he was well? "No," he spit out, "I am not well. I am not good. It is my fault we are here. It is my fault this terrible battle has taken place and these terrible things have happened. I--" Marcus gets up off the ground, looking Lady Fury in the eye,

"I wish I could be someone like you. Someone who can live without the help of others. Someone who lifts other's up, instead of bearing them down." Marcus held out the ripped piece of frabric from her dress, still caught on his metalic hand, "I have observed you, standing strong against the world, even back in Arklan! I wanted to be like you, but, all I have done is hurt you and tear you down. I am sorry."

quote:

Scrree - Today at 6:16 AM
/roll 2d6+2 #Marcus tries to be Supportive by Wishing He Could Be...
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:16 AM
@Scrree: 2d6+2 Marcus tries to be Supportive by Wishing He Could Be... = (2+4)+2 = 8
Marcus supports Lady Fury by reminding her she's a stone-cold betty who can make it on her own! Also...

As he vented; Marcus swept the cavern they found themselves in with his free hand. A light emitted from his palm, much dimmer than the spotlight that he'd use to find the Skeleton Rogue, but still enough bright to reveal the finer details of the walls around them. After causing Lady Fury so much trouble, the least he could do was help her find a way out.

Burning a point of team to boost Lady Fury's Assess roll from a 6 to a 7!

Edit: After a quick pursue of the new-Newborn playbook; Yami has agreed this post is worthy of triggering one of the Newborn's innate Team Moves!

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, if their response helps you
understand human feelings and problems, mark potential. If their response confuses or offends
you, shift your Freak up and your Mundane down.

Scrree fucked around with this message at May 8, 2017 around 23:36

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

Vane let out a relieved sigh as the skeletons seemed to accept his plan. He turned his attention to the monstrosity that had engulfed Gateway. It seemed far beyond anything that he had ever even heard of in whispered stories. Still, if he could just glean some sort of weakness...

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 7:22 AM
@Tricky: 2d6 Vane tries to figure out what the actual gently caress! (Assess) = (3+2) = 5

Potential!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: +2 | Danger: -2 | Saviour: +0 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I thought I was prepared for anything, but I was not prepared for... this. Whatever this... abomination is. How do we even begin to deal with something like that?

"Well, it looks like everybody's agreeing with your plan, Vane, even the mages. There is no doubt that this will be our most difficult battle, but this is a battle we must win."

I turn my attention to the monster now. There is more to this monstrosity than it seems. What sort of secrets is this beast hiding?

quote:

@Hugzilla: 2d6+3 Ghorza is going to assess! = (3+3)+3 = 9
- Figuring out it's secret traits!

...And that is when I noticed the frost-dagger skeleton being dragged into it's hulking mass. "Be careful when engaging it in melee! That thing will suck you in if you're not careful!"

If only I could call for Daisy now. Her fire breath would surely help in a situation like this.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at May 8, 2017 around 22:06

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: In the deep dark.

poo poo, I'm freezing, my dress is clinging to me, making the cold even worse. While it would probably be enough to even make Sentinel notice me in ~that~ way. Right now, it sucks. I don't have the luxury of delaying to search for full clothing. I'm desperate, I'll take whatever I can find!

- - -

Picking option B
+1 Potential

- - -

poo poo! poo poo! Nothing! Dammit! I sneeze again, and freeze, praying that It didn't hear me. I'm back on the main pathway, every single room is empty or partly flooded. I'm so cold! The moment I get patter back, I'm going to murder something. My heart stops when something explodes above me. I think I screamed. I don't know, I was too busy freaking out. I look up and see two figures falling! Oh no! Oh gods no! Suddenly their descent slows! I run over, I'm praying it's friendly. Its...

Lady Fury! And Markus! I run over to them, trying to look every inch like I'm in control, like I'm ready for battle.

...
...

Lady Fury and Markus do not see an in control and powerful figure emerging from the darkness. What they is is a pale, dirty, bedraggled girl stumbling out of the dark. Her blue dress dirty and torn, clung to her in patches, like it was soaked to the skin. Her previously pretty blond hair was matted with dust and mud. She shivered, wide eyed with terror. She stopped, bottom lip wobbling. Lilly's eyes misted over, and in a highly undignified display, broke into tears and flung herself at the pair. Seeking both comfort, and warmth.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: +3
Potential:4/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: Sharville

With our plan set and our temporary alliance made, I turn my attention to the foe before us, doing my best to ascertain… anything about it. Knowledge was half of any battle, after all. Of course, it was one matter to study a bandit’s movements or the direction of an arrow. The intents or secrets of a strange, interdimensional bone monstrosity on the other hand was… much more difficult to figure out.

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 7:05 PM
/roll 2d6-1 #Sentinel tries to figure just what's going on with this weird goo bone monster!
SidekickBOT-Today at 7:05 PM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6-1 Sentinel tries to figure just what's going on with this weird goo monster! = (2+1)-1 = 2
I tried? Free potential!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004




Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Saviour -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1 | Conditions: None | Location: Sharville Containment Area


The plan agreed on, Matakite does her part. Which, right now, was waiting for an opening to charge at the foul thing and then thrash it. Easy to say, hard to put intro practice. Nobody was in position yet and a bigger bridge had to be raised for them all to get across to the monster. So, in those moments of calm before the storm of battle, Matakite closed her eye and dipped into the seas of fate.

The others were gone. The calm ocean was all around her, earthly concerns gone for just this moment. She was but the greenstone eye, the pounamu drifting down calmly through the ocean. But the eye turns. There. An oyster, monstrously sized lay before it. Mouthing opening for a split second, then shutting close again with the strength to cut a man in half. But instead of a pearl, Gateway was the treasure caught inside the hard impenetrable shell. The water around them both then slowly begins to come to a stop, and solidifies into dark sludge. Just like the beast before Matakite in reality.

Her eye snaps open. "Gateway's stuck in a shell!" She announces abruptly. "In th' middle, once we cut through th' bone an' all, Gateway's stuck inside a shell. We cannae just grab her."

@Robodog: 2d6+2 Matakite seeing into the waves of fate to see how to get to the core the most easy way without getting eaten or w/e = (5+4)+2 = 11

yamster the Gm posted:

here's one: you see that inside all the shifting bone there's actually a rigid shell encasing Gateway - you'll need to make the mosnter vulnerable TWICE before you can "take away" gateway from it - but doing so will destroy the monster instantly

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: +2 | Danger: -2 | Saviour: +0 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I look down at the ornamental wooden horn by my side. Father has told me that all I need to do is blow on it, and Daisy should come to me, no matter where she is. I take the horn, and bring it up to my lips, and blow, hoping that Daisy would hear my call. If there was ever a time I needed her, that time would be now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gateway

Charon places his finger on his chin in a complentative manner. "Now that sounds like a big problem. Hmm..."

He looks up to the sky for a moment. You realize that it's dark red, not the blue that you expected. "It isn't your time yet, so you don't belong here. As such I'd take you back for free - but... I don't think that'd help in your current state, I'm afraid. Chances are, you'd just be forced right back here by whatever possessed you... hmm, I probably can't help you out here, but I can bring you to someone who can: Death, itself. Or... whatever your religious equivalent is."

Stopping to pause for a breath (a bit strange, considering he doesn't have lungs...), he continues. "Well, I suppose that's expected. Hmm... Oh, I know! How about a little bargain? It's terribly lonely on this river, you know. I'd be willing to bring you to Death... if you swear to keep me company on this boat for a decade after you die."

He looks at you for a second.

"Oh, don't look at me like that. Everyone dies eventually..."


Charon wants you to accept the deal. He's terribly lonely, being on this ship every day, and most passengers don't even talk to him. You can get Influence on him simply by chatting with him during the trip. As he's already explained, while he could transport you back, it wouldn't solve the possession - you are going to have to speak to Death for that.


Lady Fury

During your fall, you noticed an outcropping of rock that could feasibly be climbed - with good enough physical ability, perhaps even jumped up. It's likely a lot faster than trying to find a way through this place...

As you land, you see a figure walk out of the dark corridors besides you - it's Red Errant!

... well, it would be Red Errant - but she's without armor, or blade, and she looks like she's been through hell. What happened here?

Don't forget to mark Potential for the teamed roll if you haven't yet! It still counts.


Marcus

This is Red Errant! She's alive!

... but she's also not Red Errant? No, this is like... if Red Errant is an egg, the red armor would be the shell, and the girl infront of you is the delicious egg!

... Oh no! What if someone wants to eat Red Errant?


Red Errant

As you cry your heart out, something strange happens. All of a sudden, you feel Pater spring back to life! In an incredibly jarring jump in power, his presence fills your mind once again.

"I... must apologize, Lilly. I deceived you. I.... No, I will explain later. For now, you must focus on the problem at hand."

An awkward silence follows.

"... I'm still stuck, though. This... might take a moment."

*boom* *boom* *Crash*

With your friends near you, and Pater rejoining you in but a second, even the Golem's sudden appearance doesn't scare you anymore. How could you possibly be worried? You have your friends, and they are watching out for you. There is no need to always do everything yourself - you can rely on your friends, too!

You may not have realized this yet, but had been an important experience for you. Mark Potential, and clear Afraid..


Sentinel

Can anybody REALLY blame you for having no idea what's going on? This situation got out of control far too quickly, and out of nowhere. It dawns on you that things like this is why people are so afraid of mages.

Despite how logically you are trying to analyze this situation, you can't help but notice that you are pretty much overwhelmed with this situation, and your confidence suffers for it.

Mark Hopeless.


Matakite

You shudder deeply as your visions make it very, very clear just how dangerous this thing is. But... beneath all that fear is also a faint hope - victory is possible, you know it. The problem is - will it be a clean one?


Vane

Trying to study this thing further just makes it all the more obvious that it DOESN'T have any physical weaknesses. It's PROBABLY weak to holy magic, and banishment magics, but...

The only one in the group who could do that is the one currently forced to POWER this thing. Gods, is there even any hope for you to win this battle?

Mark Afraid.


Ghorza

The sound of the horn echoes through the hollow hallways of this place. For a few damning seconds, there is silence, but very soon you hear the all too familiar wing claps of your oldest friend. Flying through the large empty nothing of this place, Daisy takes a roundabout way past the monster, and lands infront of all of you! The sound of her roar sounds ever sweet as she blasts the abomination with her fire, and for a second it even flinches, unable to drag itself further towards you!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 10, 2017 around 12:25

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.




Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Pit

Potential has already been marked! I'm just ludicrously low.

I pause for a moment, touched by Marcus's words. Does he really think I'm...? I'm not sure he's right, but there's still something calming about his faith in me. "Marcus," I say at last, "It's kind of you to say so, but... nobody can live without each other's help. I... I need the team as much as any of you need me. It's part of being human, to need other people, and... well, we're all human, after a fashion." There may be a question there, a question I'm not entirely intending. "... I know it may not seem that way, but it's about more than the body..."

Using the support to clear Angry, and let's go, ill-timed Team Move time!

quote:

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

... and then the train of thought is broken entirely by the arrival of... Red Errant, out of armor. What was her name? Lilly? "Oh, no. Hold on -- I think I see a way out, and if we can get you up the ledge... are you...?" I step forward, to try and catch her if she's stumbling. Not long after, though, there's a sound of rumbling, and her sword returns to her hand. ".. good. Good. If we can reach that ledge," I say, pointing to the chunk of wall I've noticed, "I think we can get out of here. Are both of you able?"

... If there's nothing to impede us, anyway. And why am I not certain that's the case?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: In the deep dark.

Feathers, warm soft downy feathers. The sensation is almost more then I can bear. Actual heat! I'm totally not crying by the way! I-It's just water on my face! A-And that cry is just... uh, relief that they're okay after falling! I feel Pater's presence, I don't understand, but I don't question. I'd have time for explanations later. I reach out a hand, almost half conscious. Letting the power flow into me as Pater get's closer.

*BAM*

Pater lands in my hand, my eye's light up, I feel strong, alive, powerful, unafraid!

"Er...." I start, feeling slightly awkward... how to explain... that...that thing that did not happen! They couldn't tell anyone! "I-I'm um really glad to see you two are okay!" I try to cover. "There's that golum down here. We've been playing cat and mouse since I fell. Had to hide Pater so it couldn't find me!" Yeah, that sounds good. Yep, totally believable, I radiate power normally. So it made perfect sense to hide in a less powerful form! "When I saw you fall, I feared the worst. What's going on up there?"

I make sure Pater is sheathed. I don't want a repeat of last time. I look at the Golum, I could probably kill it myself. But I wasn't too keen on finding out if there was even deeper pits in this hell hole.

- - -

8:31 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Red Errant Assess the Situation!
8:32 PM !r 2d6+1
8:32 PM K<Krysmbot> KrysmbotDestroyerOfWorldsAndLoverOfKittens ArashiOfOrdo3, 3+1 = 4
8:32 PM A<ArashiOfOrdo3> ArashiofOrdo3 Oh god dammit

+1 Potential

- - -

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.




Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure (-2 Defend/Reject Influence)
Location: Sharville Containment Zone, in a Pit

At the sight of the emerging golem, I don't even think -- I don't have the luxury of thinking, now. I have to act decisively, to serve my part in the team, and one thing I can do is fight. I leap forward, launching myself at the golem and recklessly trying to bring talons and strength to bear against the thing! It seems near destruction, so perhaps this'll be enough...

Directly Engage the golem: 2d6+2 9
Choosing to resist blows! Also, let me know if this is sufficiently foolhardy to clear Insecure.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at May 10, 2017 around 23:14

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1/5 | Conditions: None, +1 on next roll involving Sebastian | Location: The Underworld


“It’s not that, it's just that a decade is a long-” Gateway trails off from her frown, as if realizing his response will likely be some barb involving the word “eternity”. “- time for me.” But can she haggle with her friends’ lives are in danger? Or maybe they're fine without you, her self-loathing reminds her. The idea of a year on a boat in such a dismal realm seems like its own form of hell, much less ten of them. And what kind of being is Charon, other than seemingly desperately lonely? “It just feels like I’m trading one set of chains for another.", she adds dismally, before looking up. "One year after I die. And each year that I'm alive, I'll visit and bring you something.", she counter-offers. It's a way to, at least, get some idea of what she's in for before it happens... she hopes.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: +2 | Danger: -2 | Saviour: +0 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

"Daisy!" I run to my scaly friend, as she lowers her head to nuzzle me, "I knew you'd come for me, girl!"

I leap on her back, and turn myself slightly to look at the rest of my team, "Daisy and I will try to create an opening. Use it to get Gateway out of that thing!"

With that said, I fly off with Daisy. Oh, how I missed this! If only we were flying again in better circumstances. Still, there would be time for that later. We need to rescue our friend!

Daisy and I circle around the beast, making sure to keep our distance from it, pelting it with fire blasts. The thing might have power, but we have speed, and fire. Lots, and lots of fire.

quote:

@Hugzilla: 2d6+3 Ghorza is going to Directly Engage the Dead Eater with DRAGON FIYAH = (3+1)+3 = 7

• create an opportunity for your allies

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Saviour: -1 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty! Insecure! , Holding +1 Forward on (Droid Dissection, or Defending Nirian) | Location: In a Pit, Physically!

Marcus stood silent for a moment, letting Lady Fury's words soak into him. Cool, damp air flowed into him, mixed with the innards of his circuits and gears, and flowed out of him warm and toxic. Just like humans.

"I... To me, Lady Lindenhall, you have always seemed independent of others. Separate, and strong. But if you say otherwise, I have no reason to doubt you. The vision I saw must've been mistaken." Marcus bowed deeply towards his fellow Page, "I thank you for correcting me. I have learned something about humans."

And he really did. Marcus thought of Avangran. From the very beginning, the Page had assumed his mentor was solely driven by his love of knowledge and learning. But now that Marcus had a new perspective; now that he'd be gifted the wisdom of Lady Fury -- 'It's part of being human, to need other people' -- a new pattern became clear. Avangran was motivated by knowledge, yes, but also by the sharing of knowledge. If he wasn't, why would he engage in society at all when it was such a distraction from research. His actions, everyone's actions, made so much more sense now that Marcus understood they didn't want to be alone.

Marcus has learned something new about humanity! Marking Potential; additionally, filling in Marcus' final lesson - Never assume anyone wants to be alone.

Marcus' heart was still heavy as he rose from his bow. The weight of his failure to save Gateway dragged his spirit downward, but the act of learning something new was an irresistible joy. It was with this strange mix of failure and inspiration that he looked Lady Fury in the eye, "Really, considering what you said, I now believe the least human of us might be Lady Nirian," he pauses, letting the joke rest in the air for a second, "She has brought us together not for her own sake, but for mine. Really, I have not yet seen her rely or fall upon anyone." Except, the very first time they met, and he accidentally proposed to marry her. Which...

His musings were interrupted by the arrival of Red Errant. Except it wasn't the Red Errant he knew; she was armorless and shivering. Marcus felt for the first time the taste of absurdity. Really, what was happening? He'd been thrown into a dark pit, and revealed truths about his teammates he couldn't even fathom before, "At every turn, you humans only show me surprises." He muttered, just loud enough for Lady Fury to hear.

Was going to leave it open, but then realized having Lady Fury teach Marcus something about humanity and then not have be growing more human in his eyes made little sense. As such, Marcus thinks Lady Fury has only grown more human since they've met, despite the fact Marcus still isn't really sure exactly how to define a human being.

-----

"Ah, that makes sense." Marcus accepted Red Errant's explanation without suspicion; he didn't think golums had the ability to sense magical swords, but if Red Errant said they did he believed her. She was older than him, after all.

"What's going on above, is..." Joy left him as he faced retelling his own failure, but he persevered, "One of the skeletons, the one that snuck -- the sneaky skeleton -- flanked Gateway with some kind of dagger enchanted with frost. I attempted to stop him, but.. failed. She was encased in a prison of ice, and I broke it apart with my bear hands. But when she could move again, she just looked at me and, and she expanded." Words were failing him, he began to form gestures with his hands in the air, "Exploded? It was as if something very big was coming out of her? It was very dark, and meaty, and bad, and it knocked me into Lady Lindenhall. I was too heavy to carry, so we fell here together, and then..." He blinked, "and then we found you. I think that's all?"

"I believe we should return to the surface as soon as possible; once the golum is taken care of--" THUD. The stone creature collapsed upon it's knees under Lady Fury's assault, "We should return now." Marcus corrected himself.

There was the pathway Lady Fury had pointed out, but that seemed so slow. If Gateway was still existent, then he had to make up for his failure to protect her as soon as possible! With his guilt driving him to impatience, Marcus offered his palm to Red Errant, "I can toss you up. I am quite strong, and the thing above is quite large. You are very strong. I was unable to protect Gateway, but maybe you can save her..."

He turned to Lady Fury and yelled into the expanse underneath the battlefield, "Lady Lindenhall! Come quick! I am going to throw you!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004




Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Saviour -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1 | Conditions: None | Location: Sharville Containment Area


No, this won't be a clean victory. That became clear the moment Red Errant disappeared down below. But good victories, hard-earnt victories, are never clean. They're covered in mud and blood, with sweat stained clothes, chipped weapons and dented armour. Many victories Matakite took part in on the seas saw her drenched to the bone and picking splinters out of her arms. But they were the victories most fondly remembered, the ones where she triumphed against the odds she saw in the strings of fate. With a bit of luck, today will be one of those days.

"We're right behind you, Ghorza!" Matakite shouts, roaring almost as loudly as the orcesses' wyvern. "Vane! Sentinel!" She calls. "It's just bone an' blood! Nothin' you haven't put a sword through before!" Knowing that Gateway was safe behind a shell, Matakite had no reason to hold herself back. Charging towards the monster, chasing the wake of Daisy's fire, Matakite hits the damned thing like she was trying to punch through a tree.

Bashing the monster thanks to the wyvern opportunity, and resist or avoid their blows i will just scare the monster maori style i guess I GET TWO NOW so create an opportunity for your allies • impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition

quote:

@Robodog: 2d6+2 direct engage blood and bone monster thing? = (5+2)+2 = 9 TEN thanks to team from firemage1!!!!

Robodog fucked around with this message at May 12, 2017 around 23:26

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: +3
Potential:4/5 | Conditions: Hopeless | Location: Sharville

As useful a tool as magic could be, was it not reasonable that it left me doubting, in despair? My sword that could rend through armor like it was paper, Gateway who could unintentionally unleash beasts such as these, the skeletal sorcerers whose magic we were relying on for this engagement… and I could hardly understand a single aspect of it. Of course, it was impossible for one man, woman, or machine to know everything, yet that was of no comfort to me at the moment. All that I knew was that we needed to stop this monstrosity somehow, and I couldn’t figure out a single weakness or strategy. How useless. Perhaps throwing myself onto the frontlines was all I was good for, after all.

If so, I thought, then let it be done. Following alongside Matakite, I cut, I slash, I thrust, again and again and again. Was I even leaving an impact on this beast? Perhaps, perhaps not. But if I could gain Matakite ground, give her an opportunity to strike where it would really hurt, then that was what mattered. Right…?

OOC: Spending a Team to boost Matakite’s DE by 1!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

As the others leaped into action, Vane was left considering his shaking fingers and wavering spear. Were they not all risking their lives on his haphazard plan? How could he allow them to face danger and languish in the temporary safety of a separate platform? What kind of man would he be, nay, what kind of knight? He had shown Lightblade that the soul of a knight burned within him. His knuckles whitened as he steadied his hands through sheer force of will. It was time to show them all what he was made of.

Vane quickly scanned the battlefield. Matakite and Sentinel were battering it from the ground, the Lady Ghorza likewise from the air. And... Yes! As he had predicted, the combined attacks were cutting away the creature's protective layers faster than it could replenish them. He caught a glimpse of Gateway's unconscious face and his mind was made up. This was his moment. Building up as much speed as he could muster, he vaulted the gap between platforms and dove into the opening created by his allies.

The inside of the beast was as horrific as its exterior, but he shoved that far into the depths of his mind. This was not the time for fears. His spear whirled and swiped, clearing more and more of the detritus from his path. Arms reached for him, but they were no obstacle. No. The only thing he needed to do was sever Gateway from the beast's control. After what felt like minutes of painstaking progress, Vane finally reached the deepest part of the beast. Gateway was before him, all that remained was to strike her free!

Directly Engage posted:

SidekickBOT - Today at 11:10 AM
@Tricky: 2d6-3 Why did Vane think this was a good idea?? = (5+6)-3 = 8

Vane takes Gateway from the creature's core!

His spear was implacable. In a smooth motion, it cleaved through all the bones binding her. Vane scooped her into his arms and started crawling back out towards the light in the distance.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Red Errant

You can't help but notice that you hesitated for a moment too long, and the golem might have done some serious damage if it weren't for Lady Fury charging it in your place.

Makes you appreciate her a lot more, doesn't it? While her help likely wasn't necessary, she did not hesitate a second to help you.

Lady Fury takes influence on you.

However, Paters voice quickly drags you away from those thoughts.

"Alright, I will be honest with you. This was a test. You see, I..." he starts, but wavers for a moment. "I was worried about your mental state. My previous wielders... did not end up mentally healthy after extensive use. I needed to see how you would act without my influence. But I did not realize the golem was still intact - I did not mean to endanger you. Sorry."


Lady Fury

While it's true that the golem has been damaged beforehand, you still can't help but feel a little bit terrified just how easily your talons just tore a being out of solid rock in twain. Gods, if this was a being made out of flesh and blood...

No, now is not the time for such thoughts. Up above, you can see the light coming from the hallway disappear - it's covered in SOMETHING that looks like a shifting mass. Just what's going on up there?


Ghorza

As you circle the monster, something completely unexpected happens!

The skeleton of ice, that got consumed earlier, gets launched out of the mass by a rapidly expanding tentacle of flesh, and straight towards Daisy! Impacting against Daisy's wing, you hear her whimper. Suddenly, your flight spirals out of control, and collecting yourself, you realize her wing has been cut and is frozen over!

The two of you crash into the platform, nearly bowling over one of the skeleton mages assisting you. Daisy shields you from the impact, but you can tell she's in pain --

And seeing her in such pain hurts all the same...

Take a powerful blow. Also, for the remainder of the scene, Daisy can't fly anymore.


Matakite

The monster screeches in an unholy volume when you start bashing it to pieces. Could it be that your inscriptions have some sort of empowering effect against undead?

... completely accidentally?

Huh. Something worth looking into, certainly.

In fact, you're so surprised by the reaction that you do not realize the bone hand latching onto your leg, snatching it from under you! Painfully landing on the hard metal floor, you lose grip of your club as it begins dragging you into the mass - this plan better work!!

Take a powerful blow.


Marcus

since the combat is over, I'm just going to make your throw an automatic success.

You throw both of your allies back up to the battle. However, you do not follow, as you get momentarily confused, as you hear footsteps...

Turning towards the sound, you see an all to familiar face...



You have so many questions right now, but Nirian isn't about to let you ask them, as she begins speaking. "Oh my! It seems I arrived a little bit too late. Although I didn't expect to find YOU down here, Marcus." she states.

Even your robotic visage manages to nail the look of confusion, considering her prophetic powers... She sighs overly dramatically. "Ah, dealing with planar outsiders is such a pain. Foresight doesn't factor them in at all."

Looking up at the hole, she chuckles. "Have you ever wondered what it's like to fly, Marcus?"

She pokes your nose, and suddenly you feel very light. You realize that you can move simply by force of will, even through the air itself! Nirian, already having floated up a few meters, laughs out loudly. "Come on, don't be shy. We don't want to leave the others waiting, do we?"


Vane

Although you most certainly can't spare the attention to look behind you, it seems that the others who tried to help you got counter-attacked hard, if the yelps of pain are anything to go by. But still, you press one, until you finally manage to pierce the shell Matakite damaged, and with it, you reveal Gateway, staring emptily into nothingness. Quickly tearing away the bone trapping her within, you grab onto her and jump out of the mass.

As you do so, a horrifying scream echoes through the halls. "NOOOOOOOOO! I WAS SO CLOSE......" it yammers, as the bone mass gets sucked into a strange, black, NOTHING that covers every surface surrounding the monster, and a good way after that, even below your feet, although it does not inconvenience you at all... unlike the monster.

Soon sucked in completely, only Gateway remains, securely held in your hands as she groggily wakes up from what has to be the worst nightmare ever experienced.


Gateway

"Hmm..." Charon mumbles as he considers your offer. However, his thoughts are interrupted by a strange sound.

Suddenly, the weight around your arms and legs disappear - and you realize, so have the bones constricting them.

Charon almost seems disappointed. "It seems your friends in the living world haven't given up on you. Oh well... I did say I would bring you back to the world of the living for free, so come on in."

After you get comfortable, he begins rowing the boat. "... Visits would still very much be appreciated."

Soon after, you wake up again in the living world, as Vane holds onto you. You still feel weakened, but being protected by your teammates, you feel safe. You can't help but feel charmed by Vane's smile as your eyes meet....


Vane takes Influence on you!


Everyone

A moment later, Nirian arrives out of nowhere, floating up the hole alongside with Marcus. "Good job, everyone! Feel free to celebrate. I'd like to have a little chat with out undead friends here, in the meantime, if you don't mind."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004




Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Saviour -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
2 | Conditions: None | Location: Sharville Containment Area


A lot of things Matakite tries to beat to death with her club get frightened of her, but a huge monster of flesh and bone? That was a new one. And it didn't have a reason to really be frightened, the bones she broke started to heal up right away. This had to be something else. Like, a magical something else. Which on Matakite meant her eye or the tribe she came from. The scrimshaw on the club? Just random patterns she thought up in her head. Except her head wasn't just hers, not with the pounamu lodged in her head. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Something to investigate when you're not grabbed by a huge ungodly creature and slammed face first into the floor. Good thing it wasn't the first time Matakite had tried to headbutt the ground. The single saving grace keeps her conscious and fighting, little more than a bloody nose to show for it. Even with her club dangling out of reach, it doesn't stop Matakite from fighting. Her free foot stomps the hand, and then she reaches for it with both of her own to yank at it as hard as it had pulled her. As she pulls the arm free, the whole beast thankfully starts to collapse in on itself. The plan must have worked.

"Ugh." Matakite moans as she pushes herself up, nose out of place and bleeding a little. "Cheers for the help, Nirian. Big bloody assist."

Powerful Blow WEATHERED!!!! Matakite OP. potential marked!

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:37 AM
@Robodog: 2d6 taking a powerful blow from the bad monster man = (3+3) = 6

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential:
1/5 | Conditions: None, +1 on next roll involving Sebastian | Location: Sharville Containment Area


Well, Charon seemed honest. He didn’t try and fool her, through he probably could have. That was worth respecting. “I’ll visit when I can.”, she says, rubbing her wrists with relief that the weight was off. “I promise.” Maybe she’ll even bring company!... it’s not the sort of place to wander alone, in any case. She chats during the ride about what she’s seen, and what’s going on in the city. It goes faster than she expected, but time isn’t exactly the same here…

… and as she wakes up, there’s a moment while she processes, coming out of her fugue. After a delay, she then suddenly reacts. “Ahhh getawaygetawayget-”, she says, flailing and twisting for a moment in terror, but just as suddenly, she realizes she isn’t exploding or releasing extradimensional horrors for a change. Guess they really didn’t need her, after all. She should be happy that things are fine… but at the same time, it means that not only did she not help… but she actively made things worse and still they fought through it. It might bother her more if she wasn't quite so shocked and exhausted. “I mean… t-thanks.”, she mumbles to Vane, her cheeks flushing.

“Undead friends?”, she echoes in confusion and faint alarm, looking over to Nirian.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.



Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: In the deep dark.

I would have totally taken that pile of stones out! But I was just distracted by Pater admitting to being a loving Arsehole. Great. Great now my sword is trying to moralise to me. The bloody thing was telling me to kill not kill not 30 minutes ago. Now it was getting all preachy.

gently caress it, I can't be bothered right now. I'm flying up through the air. Thrown by Markus skyward. I glance over at Lady Fury. Grateful to her. I'm surprised that she's been thrown, she does have wings. But maybe Markus just felt like helping out. Who could refuse him that? I arrive at the top.... and I'm baffled at the scene before me.

"You know... I don't even know what to make of this..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

The death or banishment or whatever had just happened to their foe was almost even more entrancing than its terrible birth. It all just vanished back into the void, as if nothing had happened. For a few moments, Vane found himself at a loss for words. Gateway's cries knocked him from his reverie. He lowered Gateway to the ground with an apologetic smile, "Think nothing of it, Gateway, We are all friends, are we not?" For all that they had nearly died at the hands of some extradimensional horror, it was easy enough to let it pass in their moment of victory.

Shifting Gateway +Mundane/-Superior with the doubled-up influence, as Vane views her as just a normal girl who needs help and aid from others as much as any of them.

Vane scanned the room once more. It seemed that nobody had been claimed by the abyss after all, as Red Errant, Marcus, and Lady Lindenhall were all present and, more or less, looking unharmed. Lady Nirian had, somehow, even joined their motley crew. Lady Ghorza's wyvern seemed the hardest hit by the fight. He was no expert in wyvern rearing, though he did imagine the damage would be eminently fixable given time and proper care. Picking his way through the remnants of the battlefield, Vane walked up to Daisy and the Lady Ghorza.

He looked at the frozen wing and his face paled a bit, "How bad is the wound?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

WHEN ONE STRIKES THY NEIGHBOR THEY STRIKE THEMSELVES.
WHEN ONE FEEDS THY NEIGHBOR THEY FEED THEMSELVES.
THERE IS NO OTHER.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Saviour: -1 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty! Insecure! , Holding +1 Conditonal on (Droid Dissection, or Defending Nirian) | Location: In a Pit, Physically!

Flying was interesting. Walking was one of the few things Marcus knew innately, he could walk before he could talk, and to have his entire concept of moving through the world changed with a single touch of Nirian's finger was... odd. And perhaps a little frightening? Yet there was also a joy, a wondrous liberation, in being able to easily float past the scraggly cliff-face he thought he'd have to climb up. Something held him back from fully immersing himself in that joy, a question burning in his mouth.

"Lady Nirian, it is wonderful to see you again. I am happy you're safe, but," He floated closer, leaning in for privacy (somewhat ridiculously, as they were literally floating in the air), "I must ask why you left the battlements? Where did you go? How did you get below the battlefield? I, if it's not my place for me to know such things, then..." He paused, forcing away his own hesitation. It was his place to know! He was a knight-in-training and it was his duty to protect ladies. Especially ones as helpful and good as Lady Nirian! "No. I do believe, I think that, I do have a right to know. This expedition might have been made for my sake, but if you got hurt here that'd be awful! I, er, the Pages can't protect you if you just leave us, so,"

Provoking to get Lady Nrian to tell Marcus what she's been up too!

quote:

Scrree - Today at 4:14 PM
/roll 2d6+1 #Marcus tries to Provoke some answers!
SidekickBOT - Today at 4:14 PM
@Scrree: 2d6+1 Marcus tries to Provoke some answers! = (5+3)+1 = 9

Marcus' intense emotional state rippled through his circuits. Unknown to him, his feelings affected the light of his eyes, giving them a light warbling effect. So as he stared pleadingly at Lady Nirian, he gave her what any human would recognize as a 'puppy-dog's-gaze'.

"So, please, tell me why you left us."

  • Locked thread