Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Meeting Hall

I leaned against the wall, my spear at my side. I knew little of the workings of magic, so I was content to trust in Lady Nirian's guidance when it came to the man of metal. Though, to be perfectly fair, my mind was far from the chamber from which we all stood. It was still mulling over the events of the night before. The Lightblade herself, my dear aunt, had seen fit to gift me a new set of armor. It was a far cry from the hunting garb I had been using and it fit like a glove. Despite the shimmering scales that now covered me, I had experienced little trouble moving through my paces during my morning practice.

The gesture was appreciated — if a little worrisome that she thought it was necessary — for it was the only acknowledgment I had received of my accomplishment from family. My dear father and elder brother seemed content to see me gone and Adwin was, quite understandably, still a little upset over the entire situation. Was it a warning to beware of treachery? She had confidence enough to support my application to the order, so it couldn't be that. Could it? I thought for a moment further. No, it was unlikely. That seemed a bit sideways for my aunt. If she lacked confidence, it would have been communicated directly.

I looked over to Lord Halder, the newest man to bear the title of 'Sentinel of the Southern Realms.' He seemed distinctly troubled on this fine morning. I wonder what could have brought his mood down such? I pushed myself off the wall and walked over to him. I clapped him on the shoulder, "A fine day for an adventure, is it not?" Then in a lower voice. "What troubles you, Lord Halder?"

The Beacon posted:

Name: Lord Vane Drake
Rank: Third Son of the Duke of Sommerlund
Nom de Guerre: 'The Ranseur of Sommerlund'; 'Hero of Sharville'
Look: Man, Pretty Face, Stylish Clothing, Stylish Costume

Abilities:
Polearms, Acrobatics

Labels:
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +3
Superior +0
Mundane +2

Moves:
❑ Suck it, Domitian:
When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

❑ Pretty much a Knight:
When you bring up your nom de guerre to someone important (your call) for the first time, roll + Savior. On a hit, they’ve heard of you; say which of your exploits they’ve heard about and which Label they think applies. On a 7-9, the GM will tell you something else they’ve heard, and pick a second Label they assign to you. On a miss, they don’t take you seriously or mistrust you moving forward.

❑ Never give up, never surrender:
When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

❑ Won't let you down
When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Drives:
Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved.

When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a knight of the realm.

❑ lead the team successfully in battle
❑ kiss someone dangerous
❑ punch someone you probably shouldn’t
❑ help a teammate when they most need you
❑ take down a threat all on your own
❑ outperform an knight or squire
❑ pull off a ridiculous stunt
❑ save a teammate’s life
❑ get drunk or high with a teammate
❑ drive a fantastical vehicle
❑ get a new set of armor
❑ get a new nom de guerre
❑ earn the respect of a knight or squire you admire
❑ make out with a teammate
❑ punch out a teammate
❑ break up with someone
❑ stop a fight with calm words
❑ tell someone your true feelings for them
❑ travel to an incredible place (or time)
❑ reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here”

Moment of Truth:
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice

When our team first came together...
We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
Ghorza Rockbiter is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to Sentinel before you feel like a real knight.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jul 3, 2017 around 20:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

The briefing...

I nodded, not entirely convinced by Lord Halder's — Pryce's — deflection, but unwilling to press the issue. Family matters could be minor, but when it came to the nobility... Well, it was something to keep in the depths of my mind. As he said, it was likely that the task before us would be most perilous. A job that would require the eight of us to complete? It was sure to be far from a simple matter. I had not heard much of this Sharville Containment Area that the Lady Nirian and Sir Avangran had brought up. It seemed an uncanny place, though, to provoke such a reaction in Sir Avangran.

---

Later, at Sharville...

As the mechanical dolls turned towards us, malice clear in their angry red eyes, it seemed that we would not escape without a fight. I vaulted up onto a nearby pillar — partially crumbled, but enough to serve as a vantage from which to survey the surrounding terrain — and began to think through the situation. It was clear from our practices that Red Errant, Sentinel, Matakite, and Lady Fury were our stoutest warriors and would prove more than enough to prevent the dolls from engulfing our formation. Ghorza had a keen eye for battle. She may well spot some flaw or weakness in their form. Marcus, too, possessed keen insight and may have some knowledge of his metal brethren. Gateway required concentration to unleash the full majesty of her powers, so it seemed reasonable for her to accomplish such before joining the fray proper. That would leave me free to shore up our formation where it faltered and aid those in need.

I confidently called out, "Red Errant, Sentinel! Hold the left flank! Matakite, Lady Fury! Hold the right!" I gestured with my spear as I spoke. "Ghorza, Marcus! Spot what weaknesses our enemies hide or any hidden dangers that lurk around us!" I spun the spear, then held it out towards the main group of dolls. "We must buy Gateway the time she needs to marshal her full power!"

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2017 around 22:16

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I leaped down as the last of the dolls fell to the floor. The battle had gone far more smoothly than I had feared it might and it seemed that my fellow pages needed not my support, at least for the moment. The distribution of forces had proved sound indeed. Ghorza's insight was timely and appreciated and the valiant efforts of Red Errant, Sentinel, Matakite, and Gateway — who had proven not to need her full potential after all — had laid waste to the enemy with nary a scratch to show for it. I truly had a long way to go before I could stand with confidence at their side, but I knew this to be a journey that was well worth making.

I turned to Ghorza, "Your eye for detail is impressive as always, Lady Ghorza! I can't say that we would have routed the enemy so thoroughly without your guidance. May I trouble you to provide counsel in the conflicts to come?" She was a mystery yet, but one I was slowly beginning to understand. For one dedicated to the cause of peace betwixt our peoples, she had an uncanny grasp of the subtleties of war. Was it her father's teachings, perhaps?

Of course, it would not do to forgo the praise of all who had been so efficacious in battle. I worked my way through the wreckage that my allies had left in their wake, then approached the trio of Red Errant, Sentinel, and Gateway. They seemed to be chatting, but I could hear little of what was said.

I clapped a hand on Gateway's shoulder. "A most impressive display, 'Gateway'! Your control of the mysteries never ceases to amaze." I pause a moment, mindful that her actions were more than I had requested of her. "And I truly appreciate your flexibility in the heat of battle. I must admit your abilities exceed my understanding, so please forgive me if I ask you for something that matches not the needs of the situation. Your judgment has proven most sound." An easy smile crossed my face as I congratulated her.

Completed the drive "Lead the team into battle!" and choosing to take influence over someone involved — Gateway.

I looked to Sentinel and gave him a solid nod, "A valiant battle, Lord Ha— Er, Pryce. You do your name proud this day." It was no surprise that dolls could not hope to match his skill in battle. He made a solid team with the Red Errant. A pang crossed my chest when I thought of her face when it was said that I would lead. I'd need to prove myself to her yet. Perhaps earnest congratulations would begin to bridge the chasm between us. I looked to her and added, "You as well, 'Red Errant.' Your skills with a blade are beyond question."

Matakite was the last of the frontline to receive my congratulations. It was not intentional, though I feared she would take it as a slight. The subtleties of bringing out the most of such a storied group as this were still very much something I was learning to do. I had not the experience at court that my elder brother did, nor easy access to the thoughts of my honored father. Words seemed to ill fit the relationship between me and her, at least of yet, so I clasped my fist at her in a salute that my studies indicated was common amongst those of the sea.

Marcus had yet to leap into action, but that was certainly fine. He was damaged, as they said, and it would be of no use to put him in harms way. I resolved to check in with him when the opportunity provided itself and see if I could assist him. I greeted him, "How are you faring, Marcus? Please let me know if you require anything on our journey."

Lady Lindenhall had seemed a little off, even at the meeting earlier. Perhaps that hesitation was what slowed her hand this day. Was something troubling her, then? I was no master of the troubles of the heart, but if it were something that I could aid in... Well, that was my duty as the leader of this group, was it not? I looked towards her, "Does something trouble you, Lady Lindenhall? If it is within my power, I would be happy to help in whatever way I can."

quote:

1:43 PM <Tricky> Vane pierces Lady Fury's mask
1:43 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
1:43 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+2 = 8

"How can I gain Influence over you?"

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2017 around 22:25

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I nod, "As you say, Lady Lindenhall. I can only imagine there is much on your mind of late." I set a hand gently on one of her wings. It was, still, somewhat strange to consider that this was the same Lady Lindenhall that I had seen at so many official functions before. I knew little of the nature of her plight, past that which had made the rounds of gossip before we joined the Order, but I was not such a cur as to let a curse most foul cloud my eyes from the heart of justice which still beat beneath those feathers. "If you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to ask." Of course, by that point, Lady Nirian had come over to join us, so I bowed slightly and took my leave.

Perhaps the oracle could find the words I could not. As I survey the results of our first foray as a group, I am quite pleased. Everyone is truly amazing. I would gladly trust my life to any of them, should it come to that, and I hope that they felt the same. The confidence that my peers had shown in nominating me as our leader is most gratifying. I need to work ever harder to meet their expectations, however, and a successful foray like this is no reason to lose my focus. I will lean heavily on Ghorza's mind for tactics, I believe, as I truly do believe that she is well-equipped for leadership. That was, after all, why my vote was cast for her.

Soon enough it is time to move on and the oracle leads us into a strange building. The vista revealed as we descended was truly unusual. Even Arklan could not match this city at its prime. The thought occurs to me, as we slowly descend, that there might be something I could use in this city of wonders to augment my spearplay. It is clear from seeing how amazing my peers were on the field of battle that I need to seek any and all advantages to keep pace.

I bring my spear to the ready as the platform grinds to a halt. The flying creature does not seem hostile, though, so I lower it back to a resting position. I listen to its identification of each member of the party in turn with some amount of confusion — How did it augur such information? A spell of scrying? — and slowly follow Nirian to the second elevator. Seeing that the oracle doesn't immediately respond to this... Sebastian's request, it seems it falls to me. It is, after all, promising the aid that Marcus needs and it would be churlish to impose on its hospitality without recompense.

I cough, to draw Sebastian's attention, then say, "What troubles you, Lord Sebastian? I cannot promise that which is beyond our ability, but if we may be of some assistance... Well, it seems only proper given the aid you are providing our comrade."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I must admit, I was glad for the clear call to action of an imminent threat. My head was beginning to swim with the fantastical tales that Sebastian was giving voice to. It was clear that my learning, though a great boon in matters of the nobility and the history of the Arwintar, gave little insight into what had transpired here. Or, indeed, the people who had created our comrade, Marcus. I must learn more, with time, such that I can lead more effectively. Perhaps Nirian will share her wisdom, as it seems that she is well-acquainted with these matters.

I step over to her and say quietly, "Ah, Lady Nirian, a moment? I understand that time is against us, but... It seems that you have some connection to this place. I could not help but notice your reaction earlier. It would be a great help if you could share what you know, if only such that I can understand that which drives our comrade, Marcus, more thoroughly." I look into her eyes and attempt to see what lurks beneath them. After a moment, I bow slightly and move away. The battle awaits.

quote:

3:02 PM <Tricky> Vane pierces Nirian's mask!
3:02 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
3:02 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 = 7

How could I get you to tell me who you really are?

I gesture towards the platform, "As Sebastian said! It seems that this will be no simple foe. Let us claim the advantageous terrain. If their tactics remain the same, we will need to weather the storm of the warriors before there is a chance to pierce their ranks and prevent the magicians from raising them once more."

As I walk to the platform, I am surprised to see that Matakite has already found a place upon it. Her drive and ambition were truly worthy of praise! I am further surprised by her sudden outburst. I don't pretend to understand what her gift has communicated to her to say such, but any such glimpse at what may come is worth heeding. I stand next to her and quietly ask, "Did you see any clues as to where or when this may happen?"

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 12, 2017 around 00:34

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I nod at Gateway's proposal, "That seems a sound plan! I'll leave the matter of their final disposal in your capable hands, Gateway." I do not know whether it would be blasphemy or not — a matter I'd present to Adwin in coming days, perhaps — but it certainly sounds like a most effective stratagem.

I turn back to Matakite and smile as we continue chatting softly, "Well, no matter. We are forewarned at the least and know that we must be on our guard. Better that than falling prey to an ambush." I tap her shoulder with a fist. "I appreciate that, Matakite. Truly."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I grin back at Ghorza, "As you say, Lady Ghorza. I will be counting on your counsel in the battles to come. And... Well, I am truly honored by your friendship. Thank you."

For all the stories of the Ork hordes and their depredations of the borderlands to the north, I had found Ghorza was hardly a monster. Perhaps it was a distance borne of my father's realm being on the border of Narz, rather than the Wastes. I had as much reason as any to mistrust the political machinations of man, but none such preconceptions when it came to her people. Regardless, her charm would surely have won me over sooner than not. Perhaps we might spar upon our return? It was a time-honored way of bonding and it would be most enlightening to view the fighting techniques of her people.

Vane marks potential and we add more Team to the pool for a total of 4!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

Nirian's answers made sense, of sort, but that moment of bloodlust... Hm. It seems she is, indeed, not as easily understood as she would have us believe. Perhaps I would ask Marcus to get to the bottom of matters. She was keener on him than I, for certain, despite our cordial conversations earlier. It seems she has little reason to trust the nobility of Arwintar. I wonder what could have caused such distrust? Her caution of Sebastian is sound, however, so I'm willing to save that for another time. The unworldly din I was hearing from the direction of our destination did much to support that decision.

As we round the bend and the skeletons come into sight, it would be fair to say that I am intimidated by the sheer numbers of our foes. My comrades are mighty and I know that they will surely carry the day, but... There's no sign of the mages of yet. It would be a mistake to assume that these would be the last enemies we faced. I level my spear at the skeletons assaulting the barricade, "Let us clear the nearest foes first! This battle will test our will and endurance both! Marshal your strength! We shall be fighting for some time!"

Holding my action for the moment to Defend anyone who needs it or Support Sentinel.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 15, 2017 around 17:19

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Sharville Containment Area

Spending a point of team to bump the roll up!

The initial stages of the battle seem to be going well. Lady Fury is keeping the main press of the horde from smashing into the barrier and Gateway has tapped into the forces that would allow her to eliminate this threat once and for all. My eyes play over the initial skirmishes, but my attention was immediately drawn by Lady Ghorza's battlecry. She is leaping into the thick of things! Is it some strategem that I could not comprehend? Perhaps an attempt to draw their attention to one spot so that Gateway could strike? In any case, it is clear to see that the skeletons are beginning to swarm around her. Even with her mighty axe cleaving through bone, she would need help.

I take a deep breath, vaul over the barricade with the butt of my spear, and charged through to her side. For a few moments, we are as poetry in motion. Where the skeletons tried to harry her after a mighty swing, I stand ready to knock them away. Where my spear is bogged down in a rib cage or a press of skeletons, she is ready to smash that which slows my strike. We make a fine team.

We briefly find ourselves standing in a clearing of dust and bone. I turn to my companion and say, "A fine skirmish! Are you unhurt?" Her mind is truly brilliant. I know that I cannot match her wit, but I will content myself to stand at her side and ensure that no harm befalls her.

quote:

6:53 AM <Tricky> Vane heroically defends Ghorza!
6:54 AM <Tricky> !r 2d4+4
6:54 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+4 =
9

Exposing myself to danger! Also, taking Influence and shifting Ghorza's labels +Superior/-Danger.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2017 around 15:25

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I struggle against the pull of the vine whip, my hands scrabbling fruitlessly for my spear. All I manage to accomplish is knocking it further away. Ahead lies certain death, further ahead lies a legion of archers. It may be that this is all I can do. It may be that this is how I meet my end. It's frankly more than a little terrifying. Am I doomed to be yet another set of bones assaulting this underground citadel? I can fight boars and bandits with the best of them, but these skeletons are overwhelming me with their strange magics and countless numbers.

Of course, my comrades don't seem to share in my morbid musings. They strike furiously and with great skill. Ghorza shields me from the rain of arrows — a truly impressive feat given the numbers of the archers — and Red Errant... Well, her words strike home. What am I doing? Am I not a Page like them? How can I resign myself so easily? From the sounds of chaos around me, I can tell that she's likely charged into the thick of things — and a scant moment later the vine loosens. Likely her work. I waste no time, scrambling up to my feet and sweeping up my spear on the way. I have but moments to act before the skeletons press back upon us. The space that Ghorza and I bought with our efforts is rapidly shrinking. She's a bit off-balance from the swing that blocked all those arrows. I can see skeletons approaching from her blind spot. If I don't do something...

My eyes narrow with determination. Perhaps I am not the hardiest fighter or the greatest tactical mind of our band, but even so... I will not let them down. I spin my spear, bringing the reinforced butt sweeping across the closest rank of skeletons. They sprawl backwards. Perhaps I'm doing them no lasting harm, but neither will they harm my friends! My spear is a blur, my hands steady. I lose myself in the beauty of the dance for a moment. There is no room for fear, for hesitation. I am Vane Drake, of the Dutchy of Sommerlund. I am the 'Ranseur of Sommerlund'!

I sweep my spear back to a ready stance. The coast is clear for the moment and I take the opportunity to shout out, "My thanks, comrades! Stand strong! We shall weather this storm together!" In a lower tone, I add, "Truly, Lady Ghorza. I owe you my life."

quote:

11:29 AM <Tricky> Vane defends Ghorza from the skeletons surrounding them!
11:29 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6+4
11:29 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+4 = 12

Clearing Afraid!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

Though I have managed to save Lady Ghorza once more, the feat is bitter-sweet. It is my fault that she had found herself open. The matter of the mages and the golem causes my heart to sink further. I am confident in my spear, yes, but how could I face that rock monstrosity? Of course, no such hesitation stayed the blade of Red Errant. She threw me an odd, green loop. It takes but a moment to realize that it must be the object which had stolen my footing previously. I call back, "So I will! Many thanks, Red Errant!" She engages the golem and that provides enough time to examine the magical item.

I grab the handle and give the whip an experimental crack. Ah! It seems that with the proper form, the thorns flare out. Mayhaps they'll be sharp enough to score the hide of the golem. I crack the whip towards the golem and send it raking across the construct's back time and again. The thorns are leaving deep grooves and gashes behind, so it seems that this may be an effective method of attack! The reach of the whip is even leaving me clear of the golem's swinging limbs and free to keep an eye out for that skeleton with the dagger of ice.

quote:

2:34 PM <Tricky> Vane uses his bag of tricks to Directly Engage the Golem!
2:34 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
2:34 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 = 7

Avoiding blows by cleverly keeping his distance!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

Gods, no! Red Errant is gone... Nothing could have survived a fall like that, not even a warrior as hardy as her. But this is no time to grieve — as much as I feel I should — for the rest of my comrades are in trouble still. Gateway has been impaled and rendered little more than an ice sculpture! I dare not even think if she too has been lost. The rest seem blessedly unharmed, though Sentinel and Matakite are going to be hard-pressed by the mages if we don't do something to even the odds!

Of course, before I can even think of what might serve to that end, Ghorza's voice snaps me out of my reverie. I look to her, "My trust in you is absolute, Lady Ghorza. What did—" My word. She's lifting me in the air and— "Aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggh!" I hurtle through the air, easily covering the abyss that claimed Red Errant, and with a spin that was certainly more luck than skill I manage to drop-kick the undead that commanded the winds. The creature's bones scatter and spin, though I have no doubt it will be back in the fight soon enough. I hold my spear at the ready, my knuckles still white from the stress of the trip, sweeping the point towards each of the mages in turn. I raise a slightly shaky fist in a salute to Lady Ghorza, then turn to my comrades in arms.

I call out to Sentinel, "Hold steady, Sentinel! We must crush these skeletons with haste! Red Errant—" My voice wavers a moment, then hardens. Now is the time to render hope unto my comrades, though these creatures surpass my strength of arms and the situation seems hopeless. "Red Errant may yet live, but we must rally!"

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 7:03 PM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Vane gives Sentinel a pep-talk! (+1 influence) = (5+6)+3 = 14

Adding some more team! Sentinel gets the usual!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

As events unfold faster than I could fathom them, I curse softly, "By the countless names...! What is that monstrosity?" It seems our earlier worries were merely the dimming of hope before it was fully extinguished. Gateway has been consumed, two more are lost to the void beneath us, and it is small comfort indeed that these undead magicians seem to seek common cause against our foe. My eyes play over the mass of flesh and bone that has enveloped Gateway. It feels... wrong. As if my very essence is being corrupted by its presence. A shiver finds its way down my spine. This is a far cry from bandits or boar, but... I shall not falter now. As the leader of this band, it is my responsibility to see this matter righted.

I look to Ghorza, Matakite, Sentinel, and even the remaining magicians, "It seems clear that our quarrel with these mages must wait in the light of that. We must save Gateway and banish whatever foul demon has possessed her." I look at the skeletons, "If you would lend your arcane might to our cause, I have the beginnings of a plan." I pause a beat, ready to field any immediate objections, then continue on, "It seemed to my eye that Gateway remains trapped within. If we are to remove her from within that creature, it may lose whatever connection has allowed it to manifest."

This is almost entirely supposition. My knowledge of the arcane was superficial at the best of times, but this at least allowed a small semblance of hope. Perhaps I was only fooling myself and she was, in fact, utterly lost, but still. I would not rest if the possibility remained. The only obstacle would be the willingness of the skeletons to follow my directives.

I look at the skeleton of green, assembled once more, and his comrade in blue, "If you could freeze the coating of flesh and bone in place, then Matakite, your brown-robed comrade, and Sentinel could develop a path towards the core of this monster with sheer force. The Lady Ghorza and I would use that path to remove Gateway and, with a healthy dose of luck, that should see the end to this threat. What say you all? We have little time to speak while it gathers its full strength, but I would not risk all of our lives on such a plan without your agreement."

My eyes play across the crowd. It seemed a reasonable suggestion, but I'd be a fool to ignore any counsel at this pivotal moment.

Tricky fucked around with this message at May 6, 2017 around 23:35

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

Vane let out a relieved sigh as the skeletons seemed to accept his plan. He turned his attention to the monstrosity that had engulfed Gateway. It seemed far beyond anything that he had ever even heard of in whispered stories. Still, if he could just glean some sort of weakness...

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 7:22 AM
@Tricky: 2d6 Vane tries to figure out what the actual gently caress! (Assess) = (3+2) = 5

Potential!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

As the others leaped into action, Vane was left considering his shaking fingers and wavering spear. Were they not all risking their lives on his haphazard plan? How could he allow them to face danger and languish in the temporary safety of a separate platform? What kind of man would he be, nay, what kind of knight? He had shown Lightblade that the soul of a knight burned within him. His knuckles whitened as he steadied his hands through sheer force of will. It was time to show them all what he was made of.

Vane quickly scanned the battlefield. Matakite and Sentinel were battering it from the ground, the Lady Ghorza likewise from the air. And... Yes! As he had predicted, the combined attacks were cutting away the creature's protective layers faster than it could replenish them. He caught a glimpse of Gateway's unconscious face and his mind was made up. This was his moment. Building up as much speed as he could muster, he vaulted the gap between platforms and dove into the opening created by his allies.

The inside of the beast was as horrific as its exterior, but he shoved that far into the depths of his mind. This was not the time for fears. His spear whirled and swiped, clearing more and more of the detritus from his path. Arms reached for him, but they were no obstacle. No. The only thing he needed to do was sever Gateway from the beast's control. After what felt like minutes of painstaking progress, Vane finally reached the deepest part of the beast. Gateway was before him, all that remained was to strike her free!

Directly Engage posted:

SidekickBOT - Today at 11:10 AM
@Tricky: 2d6-3 Why did Vane think this was a good idea?? = (5+6)-3 = 8

Vane takes Gateway from the creature's core!

His spear was implacable. In a smooth motion, it cleaved through all the bones binding her. Vane scooped her into his arms and started crawling back out towards the light in the distance.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

The death or banishment or whatever had just happened to their foe was almost even more entrancing than its terrible birth. It all just vanished back into the void, as if nothing had happened. For a few moments, Vane found himself at a loss for words. Gateway's cries knocked him from his reverie. He lowered Gateway to the ground with an apologetic smile, "Think nothing of it, Gateway, We are all friends, are we not?" For all that they had nearly died at the hands of some extradimensional horror, it was easy enough to let it pass in their moment of victory.

Shifting Gateway +Mundane/-Superior with the doubled-up influence, as Vane views her as just a normal girl who needs help and aid from others as much as any of them.

Vane scanned the room once more. It seemed that nobody had been claimed by the abyss after all, as Red Errant, Marcus, and Lady Lindenhall were all present and, more or less, looking unharmed. Lady Nirian had, somehow, even joined their motley crew. Lady Ghorza's wyvern seemed the hardest hit by the fight. He was no expert in wyvern rearing, though he did imagine the damage would be eminently fixable given time and proper care. Picking his way through the remnants of the battlefield, Vane walked up to Daisy and the Lady Ghorza.

He looked at the frozen wing and his face paled a bit, "How bad is the wound?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

Vane put his hand on Ghorza's shoulder and, for a moment, said nothing. Far from it being her fault, it had been his mad plan that put her and Daisy in harm's way. All because he was too afraid to act any sooner. His other hand, tentatively, reached out and ran along Daisy's neck. The wyvern's scales were softer than he had expected, in a way, and it seemed she appreciated it. After a moment, he said, "If there's fault to be found here, it was with me. I should have come up with a better plan. You were... You were fantastic. You and Daisy both."

His hand found Ghorza's and he finally met her gaze, "We could not have saved Gateway without your help. If there is anything I can do to help Daisy or..." He paused, his nerve failing a bit. "Or if there is any way I can make my respect and admiration of you more clear, you need but say the word." Her eyes were... beautiful. He had noticed, of course, but to see them so close? It was enough to forget that he was still half-terrified.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 10:21 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Vane comforts Ghorza! = (2+5)+3 = 10

Vane clears Afraid, Ghorza gets the usual if she opens up!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

It was fair to say that I was caught off-guard by Ghorza's sudden move, my cheeks blushing brightly as well, but as our bodies press together and we kiss... Any hesitation that might have held me back melts away. My arms find her hips and, for more than a few glorious moments, it seems we are the only people in the world. For all that I've been defined by duty and propriety and my family's honor, I must admit that this feels more true to the man I want to be than any of that. I pull back for a brief breath and manage, "My lady, consider my appreciation very clear." With that, I grin and take the lead.

I don't know how this all will play out if our parents catch wind, but that's a matter for a different time. For now? I'm content to delight in her presence.

Marking potential!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

Reluctantly, I part myself from Ghorza. I don't release her hand, of course, but I suppose the advice to save our mutual show of admiration and respect for each other for a safer time and place is sound enough. Completely unwanted, yes, but sound. And it is true that we have wounded - like the valiant Daisy - to attend to. I join Ghorza in the comforting of Daisy through the process of healing. Remembering how she had appreciated the neck rubs from earlier, I continue with that strategy and it does seem to help matters.

After the healing is complete and I have a chance to listen to the new information imparted by Nirian, I find a curious expression on my face, "That seems... Huh. I cannot argue that these skeletons have proved themselves against that monstrosity and their current behavior is hardly in matching with what Sebastian told us about. And, too... If he sees it as his duty to protect humanity, as misguided as it seems he is, would he not now be tempted to use his remaining forces to marshall any nearby communities into a similar fate?"

If that is the case, I cannot argue that Sebastian needs to be stopped. Yet, if possible, I would rather we solve this matter with words than force of arms. Her words paint the mechanical creature as misguided, not malicious. It should be possible that we could clarify his misunderstandings and see everyone to their desired end. The undead would be free to pass on and the machines to protect and repair their home. Perhaps one day the corruption would fade and we could live in that city of wonder once more.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area
Temporary Equipment: Plant Whip (used)

I must admit, I am in little mood for Nirian's ongoing... whatever it may be. It is clear she has problems with the nobility. Painfully so. Yet, is she in any position to truly complain? She's done little but wander off on mysterious errands of her own and hide, I am sure, information that would do much to illuminate the true situation. And, too, where is it her place to judge us? We may be pages, yes, and she may be in a leadership role, but... Well. Have we not just survived an incredible tribulation? It seems reasonable enough that some of us may need a method to relieve the stress of that whole affair. From what I've heard of some of my father's war stories, we were showing extreme restraint.

Still, though, I am hardly about to make a scene of it. Whatever she thinks of our professionalism, there is a time and place for the voicing of concerns. A potentially hostile ruin of forgotten magics and other wonders is not that place. And, too, Ghorza's hand against mine is something I am happy to spend the elevator ride focusing upon. It is, to be honest, a little surprising how gentle her grip is for one capable of such incredible feats of strength. Yet, all too soon, the elevator comes to a halt and Sebastian floats there awaiting us.

I look at him, a level expression on my face, and say, "I was hoping you might see fit to reveal that, Sebastian. New information has been brought to light. You've been keeping the undead from leaving and, in fact, you are responsible for their plight. All they wish to do is leave so they can pass on to the next life." Perhaps a simplified explanation, but his reactions will surely be telling.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 8:20 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+2 Vane Pierces Sebastian's Mask = (6+3)+2 = 11

What are you really planning? What do you intend to do? How could I get your character to let the Skeletons go free?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 (Advance!) | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

As we finally make it back to the clear skies and sun of the world I know so well, I feel a weight lift from my chest. We all had made it out with our lives. What leader could ask for anything more? Marcus had defused what was surely going to be an ornery situation with his flawless logic and it seemed Nirian had indeed been working behind the scenes to help. I suppose that did excuse her absence, though I wish she had trusted us enough to communicate her plan.

Perhaps it is the stress of the situation fading from me, but I feel transformed. I feel as though I could face any obstacle, no matter how great, and stand strong.

I turn to Ghorza with a smile. It seems Daisy is feeling better, though I doubt she'll be flying just yet, and that does much to ease my guilt. My fingers intertwine with hers as I say, "Well, Lady Ghorza, it seems we have quite a trek ahead of us. Would you do me the honor of sharing conversation while we walk?" Though my words are innocent, I can't say the intent quite matches them. It would be mostly talking, to be sure, but... Well, we could surely find what moments we could to demonstrate mutual admiration and respect. Could we not?

Per Yami, marking two drives complete: Vane made out with Ghorza and saved Gateway when she most needed help. Marking Potential for both. For End of Session, growing closer to Ghorza. She shifts Vane's labels and another Potential is marked. For the advance, taking Never Give Up, Never Surrender.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

As Lady Ghorza details her intentions, I can all but feel my eyebrows lifting skyward and my face burning. Oh, my. It isn't an unwelcome invitation, not at all, it's simply... Very forward. But, I suppose, that is what draws me to her. She does not hide behind artifice or false words. She is exactly who she appears to be. It is something that I envy, to be honest. I've never shared my brother's gift with politicking, but, even so, I've come to understand a measure of the game. It's exhausting. Lady Ghorza, though, well... I have a feeling that matters may yet be exhausting, though in a completely different manner.

Doing my best to maintain composure and, most likely, completely failing, I finally manage, "That sounds wonderful, my Lady. I will eagerly await the opportunity."

Vane sees Ghorza as someone with incredible and wonderful abilities, someone who is a cut above humanity. She shifts +Freak / -Mundane.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

I smile softly, "Lady Ghorza, I would gladly walk the path of peace at your side. I do not think I am the only one, either. I think that our people are more similar than they know." I stop, guiding her face level with mine, then rest my forehead on hers. "They simply haven't realized it yet. Show them who you truly are. Talk with them. Exchange stories of your people with ours. It may not be easy. I know there are those..." Like my father. "Who may not listen. May not want to listen. But, even so, I believe that they will be outnumbered by those who will."

A sad smile crosses my face, "You are truly amazing, my Lady. You, Red Errant, and Sentinel all. I can't help but wonder if someone like me is worthy of fighting by your side."

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

Even as I passionately meet Ghorza's kiss, I feel a sense of warmth grow within my chest. That was... Those were... It was what I ached to hear. Not the cautious pragmatism of Nirian, nor the aloof approval of the Lightblade, but the honest words of a valued comrade. One who, I must admit, is becoming much more than simply a comrade. As we eventually, reluctantly, part, I let out a relieved laugh. Was it not true? I suppose I had done myself proud. It was no reason to slack on the road ahead, but I suppose I could afford to enjoy the victories of this day!

I run my hand along Ghorza's cheek, "The feeling is very much mutual, my Lady. I have no doubt that we'll accomplish much together in the days to come."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

While some may speak of our duties over the past weeks with disdain, I must admit that I've been quite pleased by the relatively light responsibilities. It would not be entirely proper to speak of what has consumed my free time, but suffice to say that there is no question of the respect and admiration between myself and Lady Ghorza. It has been quite an experience learning more of her culture first-hand. Quite an experience, indeed.

When the Crown Prince himself walks in, I must admit I was quite caught off-guard. He's... very important. Very, very important. I may be the son of one of the realm's more influential families, but even I have not had the opportunity to share words with him. I hastily stand and offer him a salute, "Your Royal Highness...! Your words are too kind."

Of course, my face colors a bit with the reveal of Nirian's evaluation. Was it so wrong to push my limits in the company of such heroes? And... Well, I suppose I must accept the compliment in the spirit it was given. Especially given those that the others received. Red Errant may have a poor attitude, but she did not deserve such words. And Sentinel! He was a true hero. How could it be that he was simply... there? I did agree that Daisy was a fine wyvern, though, so I suppose Lady Ghorza was better off than the others.

It is with no small pride that I accept the medal and title from the Crown Prince. This is the sort of validation that not even my father could deny! Though, upon the reveal of our next assignment, that thought immediately sours. I look over at Red Errant. I look then at Lady Ghorza. My father is... not a tactful man. Especially not since my elder brother gained his ear. He is not, in fact, one who I expect to be responsive to Lady Ghorza's mission of peace. I'm sure he'll treat Sentinel with something approaching respect, if only because of his family's lineage, but the others... I should probably warn them in advance.

I shake my head, "No, my lady. I cannot say I do. Knowing my father, he's kept anything that might be relevant to our cause quite close to his chest. If I... May I have a moment alone with Red Errant and Lady Ghorza before we depart?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

My face blazes crimson as I feel an incredibly strong hand brush across my posterior. Lady Ghorza is incredibly forward, as always. It is one of her most admirable qualities, though I must admit that it continuously catches me off guard. I meet her gaze with a shy smile and whisper back, "You have many admirable qualities yourself, my lady." I hesitate a moment, almost returning the gesture, but I notice that our guests' attention is turning back to us and settle for laying a companionable hand on her shoulder instead.

---

Moments later...

I look at Lady Ghorza and Red Errant and sigh, "This will... I can make no excuses for the behavior of my father. Lady Ghorza, I fear he will make issue of your heritage when we meet. He is not a particularly tactful man. Especially not since my eldest brother gained his ear. Suffice to say I share none of those views. And..."

I pause. My reasons for warning Lady Ghorza are more borne of affection than any particular concern as to her behavior. Lilly, on the other hand, has more than ample reason to hate my family. I cannot fault her for such. After all, if I had simply acted sooner...

My mouth tightens, "Please don't kill them, Lilly. I know what my family has cost you, but... If you act now it will simply lead to your own demise at the hands of the Knights." I look at her sadly. "If you need to vent those feelings, before or after we meet them, I will serve in their stead."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville Containment Area

...Ah. I suppose I hadn't given her enough credit. She may be impulsive and reckless and ill-tempered and volatile, but she is a page. Though, in my defense, could any blame me for jumping to such a conclusion given our history? I nod, sympathetic, "Oh, no. I don't disagree. There will be a reckoning. I could not live with myself if I did not help you with such. It will simply need a touch of... restraint. Patience, as well. We will be traveling the Duchy, yes? Let us gather evidence along the journey, enough that the Knights cannot possibly deny the events that have occurred."

I lean back against the wall and sigh, "I never did fit in. More comfortable on the hunt than those tedious galas. More comfortable here by far. I cannot deny that I wish matters were different, but I've seen the truth just as you have. Duties neglected, villages sacked. If.." If only I was quicker to act. If only you had been spared from this. "I will speak on your behalf when the time comes. I cannot do any less."

Looking over to Ghorza, I brush my hair back sadly, "I doubt he'd understand, but... Well. You've gathered that there are matters between Lilly and my family that do not reflect well on them. I've given up any claim to the duchy. Adwin went to the church, I to the Knights. I am not so irresolute as to bow to his wishes in a matter like this." I smile wryly. "My admiration and respect for you far outweigh that." It is true. We have not publicly announced a courtship — actually, am I obligated to do such as a Knight-in-training? — but I would not be ashamed to do so in the slightest. Let any who wish to talk waste their breath.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

I look back at Lady Selza, "No taken, Lady Selza. I know my father's personality quite well." I sigh myself.

---

I cannot say that the reception surprised me in the slightest. I was suddenly very, very glad I had taken the opportunity to warn Lady Ghorza and Lilly of the reception they were likely to receive. My father's words inspired feelings most unpleasant in my own chest. I could only imagine it was even worse for them. Still, what leader — what friend — would I be if I let such poisoned words stand?

I look my father in the eye and shake my head, "We are all quite competent, father. Within the depths of the Sharville Containment Area, we fought a foe that could well have proven a doom no less dire than this dark mage. Sentinel, Red Errant, Lady Ghorza, and I acquitted ourselves with honor in defeating that foul creature of death and decay. It is no mistake that the Crown Prince himself saw fit to award us with these medals."

I indicate my comrades, "We will resolve this matter, upon our honor as knights-to-be." I look to Aethul. "What else can you tell us of this mage? What foul magicks are in evidence? Does he utilize the dead? Hellfire? Poison and corruption? Anything you can tell us will save lives, as surely as haste will."

For a moment I thank the gods that I've had opportunity to work with the mighty Gateway. Her unique talents and mastery of the arcane has opened my eyes to a world that few understand. Surely that too will speak well of our competence.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 10:02 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Vane's Gang are pretty much knights, right? = (1+5)+3 = 9

The Duke heard about the Eater of the Dead and how the pages basically saved the world! He views us as worthy Saviors.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 11, 2017 around 18:24

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

Of course, I catch Lilly's look. How could I not? I suppose it's for the best that my kin seem to be utterly unaware of her identity and, by extent, the grudge she holds against them. If either notice, they will most likely assume it is indignation at being written off as incompetent due to the circumstances of her birth. Still, I cannot deny that she is showing admirable restraint. I rest my hand on her shoulder, doing my utmost to send calming energies her way. I truly envy those who can soothe pain with a touch. I envy most of my peers' talents, of course, but that would be most useful at the moment.

I do my best to communicate back that I very much appreciate the lack of bloodshed so far and, in case that attempt at non-verbal communication fails, mouth at her, "Later, ok?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

I say little else before we leave. I do take solace in the fact that Aethul, at least, seems to have a certain degree of confidence in us... which he immediately ruins by verbally sparring with Sentinel. Some days I miss my home. This is not one of those days. As for the dark mage, I cannot help but feel relieved that it was not a more subtle corruption. I have no doubt that he is truly a powerful foe, of course, but treants are something my spear can face head on. What could I possibly hope to accomplish if he was summoning plagues instead?

---

I look down upon the army of treants and their leader. While his mastery of magic seems unquestionable, his dark nature... Perhaps it is a foolish hope, but he seems to be a child who is simply lashing out at the world. He merely has more power than any could hope to control. A little like Gateway, in fact, though she has far more of a handle on her power. Maybe... Maybe we can resolve this by calming him down? Now, from where I am, that is no small feat. We'd need to carve through his army of treants to even get close enough to attempt to converse. And, of course, I'd need to convince my fellows that this was truly the best course of action. Perhaps not extremely difficult for my fellow pages, but the Lady Selza seems convinced that this matter requires a violent end.

I say, more than a little curiosity in my voice, "Forgive me, Lady Selza, but is there truly no hope for him? He seems... distraught. As though his powers only run wild because his emotions do the same."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 7:01 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+1 Vane assesses the treant army! = (3+4)+1 = 8

How could we best end this quickly?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

Of course, I recognize that look. The look that suggests that the Lady Ghorza is about to employ her prodigious strength for the purposes of sending my hurtling through the air. It's... always a little worrisome, to be honest, given that I'm not nearly as powerful — or resilient — as my peers, but I cannot help but trust in her talents. There is no one I'd rather entrust my life to. I secure my spear to my back and do my best to maintain the calm that expert warriors bring to every situation. When I land, I'll need to engage the mage in a battle of words. None of us, save perhaps the Lady Selza, seem keen on the idea of solving this manner violently.

As Lady Ghorza lifts me and Sentinel into the air, I take the opportunity to quickly kiss her on the cheek and whisper into her ear, "Stay safe, my lady."

Moments later, I find myself hurtling through the air over an army of aggrieved treants. I do hope her aim is true! I cannot see myself fighting my way out of such a mighty force.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

Almost as soon as we land — and it is truly remarkable that Lady Ghorza can hurl us such that we land on our feet — the mage summons forth clouds of choking pollen. A brief taste is enough to send me into a fit of dizziness and coughing, but it quickly subsides. I've lived on the land as much or more than any noble. It will take more than that to break my resolve. Red Errant's landing disperses the cloud with its sheer force and I raise a fist in salute to her. With the reprieve she bought us, I wrap a piece of cloth around my mouth as a makeshift mask.

I scan the army. We need to bring the mage down as fast as we can. The treants are limitless in number and there's no telling what other tricks the mage will bring to bear when he feels truly threatened.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Last Monday at 11:16 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Vane attempts to not give up or surrender! = (5+3)+3 = 11

Choosing to get an opportunity or opening against the dark mage!

It seems I am in luck. Though the pollen hid him from my eyes temporarily, it seems that he assumed it would be enough to bring me down and did not retreat too far. He was wrong. I heft my spear, ensuring that the tip is still wrapped securely, then charge towards him. As I wind between treants and avoid particularly nasty patches of pollen along the way, I leap into the air, springing off a lesser treant, and crash into him with a mighty overhand swing. Magic rages through his hands as he attempts to block, but it is no use. My strike smashes through his guard with ease and sends him sprawling to the ground.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Last Monday at 11:17 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Vane tells Domitian to suck it! (+1 from Assess) = (2+4)+4 = 10

Creating an opportunity and also choosing to impress/frighten/surprise him.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 15:15

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

The vine crashes into my legs sending me sprawling. It hurts. It hurts a lot. But, more than anything, I just feel crushing guilt. How many people in Sommerlund has my father wronged? I know he is not a good ruler, truly I do, but it seems matters are far more extensive than I had ever thought. I slowly pull myself to my feet, somewhat distracted by those considerations, but as the mage turns away and gazes towards Red Errant's village and my home beyond... Something comes over me.

I shout at him, "Coward!" I see his body stiffen. I'm not sure he can understand my words, but I'm sure he gets the tone behind them. "If you wish to punish my father, then start with me! I am the third son of the duke of Sommerlund, Vane Drake! Face me, mage! Spend your fury on me, not that village!"

It seems to work. He turns back towards me... and attacks.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 8:19 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Vane tries to stand strong! (NGU,NS) = (5+1)+3 = 9

Vane keeps the dark mage's attention, but marks Guilty!

The vines strike at me from every which way. I slam a few that come particularly close to taking my head away with my spear, but the attacks are less focused than they had been. They cut through the air faster and faster, but most fail to strike home. Slowly but surely, I make my way towards the mage and grab him. Gods above, he is pitiful. Were it not for the imminent devastation of Red Errant's village, I doubt I could bring myself to strike him.

Even so, I don't use my spear. I meet his gaze and say, "I know you're in pain! I know you want revenge! I can understand that. But!" I slam my head into his. Blood trickles down from his nose. "That doesn't mean you can ruin more lives to get it!" I slam my head into his again. "That doesn't mean you can hurt my friends! The one I love!" I slam my head into him a final time, sending him sprawling.

I level my spear at him, still covered of course, as he regains his feet, "You've lost yourself, mage. How can I be defeated by someone like that?"

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 8:23 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+4 Vane also tells Domitian to suck it... again! (DE, +assess) = (5+4)+4 = 13

Avoiding his blows and impress/surprising/frightening him again!

Per discussion in discord, this will count as stopping a fight with calm(-ish) words. Marking potential and unlocking the next set of drives.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2017 around 16:26

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

A lot of things happened, then Phantom left!

I look back at Lilly, "I do not know, Lilly. Some magic of the heart or mind? But... perhaps more. She mentioned having watched us. She may well be watching our friends, as well, if her tales of their exploits are true." A brief pause. "Thank you, Lilly. Truly. You saved the boy's life with your..." I struggle for a way to frame her actions positively. "Inventive invectives."

My thoughts return to the child. He's almost certainly in no position to travel back with us to the Knights and their experts. Not at the moment, anyway. We could rest at my family's home... No. That seems ill-advised. Everyone is rather vulnerable at the moment. I'd not inflict that upon them. Though, speaking of homes... My eyes look to the nearby village. It is Lilly's home. Perhaps she has people she wishes to see. Her own family.

I cough lightly, "It seems we've accomplished our mission here, Lady Selza. With the phantom's interest in the boy unclear, it seems reasonable that we ensure his safe return to the sages of the Knights. Perhaps we could rest in the village for a few hours while we tend his injuries and ready him for the road ahead?"

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2017 around 20:52

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

As Lilly drops her sword and melts into her father's embrace, I sink a bit under the sudden weight of the still-slumbering mage. I must admit the sight brings forth feelings of jealousy in me. I cannot remember the last time I was actually happy to be reunited with my family. Still... perhaps this is good. It's no secret that she has her own demons. Perhaps the chance to reconnect with her family will salve some of them.

I look over at Lady Ghorza and place a comforting hand on her shoulder. It seems that the phantom's words haunt her still. I... I will do what I can for her. What I can and more besides. It pains me to see her heart hurt like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: -2 | Danger: -2 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

I pause for a moment, thinking back to the confrontation with the phantom. Was she right? Would my assumed disgust with the established order lead to my fall? I could not rule it out, as much as I wish otherwise, but I believe that there is one thing that the phantom has failed to consider. The Lady Ghorza and I are stronger than she thinks. Separately, yes, but even moreso together. As I feel her warmth against my body, I say, "As you say, my lady. With you by my side, I cannot see it ever being lost."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:59 AM
@Tricky: 2d6+4 Vane comforts Ghorza! = (1+5)+4 = 10

Add some team, Ghorza gets the good stuff!

  • Locked thread