Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Meeting Hall

I startle as Vane addresses me, blinking a few times before my attention comes back into focus. Did I look troubled? I suppose I must have. With what had happened with Father and Grandfather, keeping my guard up was the last thing on my mind. I give him a small smile, whispering back to him,

“It’s nothing, really. Just… family business, I suppose. And I told you, didn’t I? Just Pryce is fine.” Raising my voice, I continue, “Yes, it’s a fine day indeed, adventure or otherwise.”

It was not his nor the team’s problem to bear, I decided quickly. This was something that I must handle on my own. As for how exactly, well, that could be worried about later. There was a more pressing concern, at the moment: dealing with Marcus’ repair. However I chose to settle the matter between my relatives and the Oracle could wait until this task was finished first. Surely, even if Grandfather warned me to stay away, he would understand that I could not refuse such a direct plea for help, especially when it regarded the well-being of my fellow Pages. Well… hopefully would understand, at any rate. Somewhat stiffly nodding as Gateway turns to me, I say,

“It is as Gateway says. With all of us working together, we shall gather whatever materials are needed to finish repairing Marcus, without a doubt. That is not to say we should be careless, however,” I add after a bit of thought. “Powerful as we may be, alone or as a team, I imagine this shall still be a precarious task. Otherwise, the Oracle wouldn’t have called for all of us.”

The Legacy posted:

Legacy Name: The Sentinel of the Southern Realms
Playbook: Legacy
Looks: Man, White, trendy clothing, predecessor's costume, no insignia

Abilities:
Divine armor, magic weaponry, mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels
Danger: -1
Freak: 0
Savior: +2
Superior: 0
Mundane: +2

Moves
Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move insteadof the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention

On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City the kingdom of Arwintar. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
Tyrellius Halder (Grandfather) is still active and prominent in the kingdom.
Magnus Halder (Father) is retired and quite judgmental.
Caroline Halder (Younger Sister) is the next possible member of your legacy.
The Demon of Cromvalion (Banished, but not slain, and oh so vengeful) is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.
Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together...

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Gateway.
You trust Matakite and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville

She had known about Grandfather. Of course she had. She was the Oracle. It was her duty to know. Nevertheless, she never failed to catch me off-guard. It was hard to get used to someone who could see into the future. Perhaps spending more time alongside Matakite would help with that feeling.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound and sight of the mechanical creatures. “How horrid,” I mumble to myself as the beast goes down underneath the onslaught. To be hunted for survival was one matter, but what occurred just now seemed little more than senseless killing. No time to ponder on that, I tell myself as Vane gives out orders, solemnly reaching for my own blade. Giving him a nod, I rush off towards the left side of the battlefield, a small smile rising up despite myself as the Red Errant reaches them before me. There was, perhaps, a bit too much flashiness in her movements, but her effectiveness and enthusiasm couldn’t be questioned. Running up beside her, I say,

“Nicely done! Maybe let up on the posing until after there’s no foes left though. Hate’d to see you get clobbered over the head.”

As I say that, one of the machines stumbles forward towards us, its sole arm outstretched. Lightly deflecting its swipe to the side with my hand, I give a quick nod as Ghorza yells out, unsheathing my blade and slashing at its chest in one smooth motion. Not enough to wound, as much as these machines could be ‘wounded’ at any rate, but potent enough to knock it off-guard… meaning it was more than vulnerable for Red Errant to finish off. Turning back to her with a smile beneath my helmet, I add,

“Go ahead and go wild. I have your back.”

quote:

[15:10] <TheFireMagi> Sentinel is Directly Engaging the Left Flank and covering Red Errant's back! (Fight the Good Fight!)
[15:10] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+2
[15:10] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 9+2 = 11
Resisting blows and creating an opportunity for my allies.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville

Sheathing my sword, I was somewhat surprised that the conflict ended as quickly as it did, and without any harm coming to any of us either. Though, with all of our skills and might, perhaps I should have expected no less. We were a rather powerful group after all. Still, that was no excuse to get careless. These mechanical assailants were simple combatants, not unlike a beast in nature, and relatively few in number. In other words, though their entrance was quite intimidating to witness, the odds could have been much worse. Thinking that, I shake my head as Vane praises me, replying after Red Errant,

“I appreciate your words, Vane, but I must agree with Red Errant here. Compared to some of the battles the Sentinels have fought over the years… Ah, but, I’m not complaining about how smoothly our little skirmish went. It’s good to see that we all made it through unharmed, after all. Nevertheless, to say that I did my name proud is rather much, don’t you think? I still have a long way to go if I can’t even handle a bunch like that on my ownsome!”

Giving a light chuckle, I follow after the others onto the ‘elevator,’ as the Oracle called it. The descent worries me at first, but after it became clear that we were in no danger I start to relax. At least, until I feel something grab onto me. Tensing up, I look over and- Hm? Oh, it’s just Red Errant. Easing up once again, I let out a good-hearted and very exaggerated sigh as she speaks, answering with,

“Come now, I’m hardly that clumsy. But, thank you anyways. You may want to let go though. Otherwise, it’s likely we’ll just both fall down together if it happens.”

Red Errant was a very sweet girl, beneath all that armor, I think to myself. One that I was quite fond of, all things considered. An able comrade, and someone that I trusted a great deal. Yet as she was the impulsive type, her raw power did concern me some. More than some, actually. Not because I feared her misusing it, but she was… inexperienced, I suppose. While I had seen few actual battlefields, training for them had been my entire life. It had taught me a certain sense of restraint, of control, one that Red Errant… could use some work on. But, well, that was all right really. We were mere Pages, after all, and had plenty of room to grow. Working alongside her to help foster that growth was a duty of its own.

---

My eyes glance around the ruins as we descended downward, completely absorbed in the awe-inspiring sight. To think we would find such a massive city in a place like this, if one so damaged and destroyed. No doubt, there was much that could be learned from somewhere like this. Perhaps not from myself, as I’m not sure I would know what to look for exactly, but there were others with a keener mind than I. Still, the temptation to explore is a strong one, and it’s held back only be the appearance of the flying creature that refers to itself as GAIDEN, or Sebastian rather. Seemed to be quite the difference between the two, but I suppose I was the same way, really. Taking one of the bags of holding offered by the Oracle, I let the others ask what they will while I get to work with Lady Fury on gathering the parts for Marcus’ repair. There was an awful amount though… thinking that, I glance back and say,

“While getting intel is important, we could use another pair of hands over here, everyone.”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Sharville

I jolt as the explosion rocks the air, almost dropping the bag I was holding from surprise. Preparing myself to ask just what had happened, Sebastian beats me to the punch and kindly informs us that we have a swarm of undead coming after us, which was… concerning, to put it lightly. Could we fend them off? Most likely. But to do so without injury? A much more difficult matter. Of course, I did not expect for us Pages to go on without harm forever, yet… I preferred that it would happen later rather than sooner. We may have only became a team recently, but I was still reluctant to see their blood spilt. With that in mind, I wait to follow my fellows onto the platform, instead glancing around first. Creative tactics weren’t quite my strong suit, but perhaps there was something we could use here to aid us in battle…

quote:

[18:30] <TheFireMagi> Sentinel is Assessing the Situation!
[18:30] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6
[18:30] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 3 = 3
[18:30] <TheFireMagi> nooot even close
[18:31] <Yamifenrir> rip

...and perhaps there was, but if so, I couldn’t see it. With so much strange machinery combined with the frantic nature of the situation, I suppose it was only natural that I couldn’t find anything useful. Natural, but frustrating nonetheless. Clenching a fist for a moment, I hurry towards the platform, with a quick,

“Sorry about the delay. I was hoping to find something to assist us in holding off the horde, but no such luck it seems.”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential:3/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Sharville

In spite of the rather tense situation, I feel myself letting my guard down for a moment as Red Errant comforts me after my misstep. I hadn’t entirely been seeking such comfort, admittedly, but the words were pleasant to hear. Even so, that didn’t change the fact that I made the mistake in the first place, nor the fact that our defensive position was weakened from my delayed arrival. Not that I intended to let such a thing slow me down, of course! What were mistakes for if not to learn from them, after all? I’d simply just have to try all the harder to make amends. Nodding in acknowledgment, I quickly shoot back to Red Errant,

“Drinks sound lovely, though I admit I’m not all that familiar with alcohol myself. I’ll be counting on you to find somewhere good!”

Marking potential from the comfort.

Seeing Matakite and Ghorza charge in does catch me by surprise. Was the point not to hold this position…? No matter. I can hardly let them take on all these undead by themselves! Letting Vane hurry after Ghorza, I start to carve my way through the wall of bonely foes towards Matakite, who appears to be doing fairly well on holding her own. Still, doesn’t mean I can’t assist! Weaving in, I quickly parry and disarm a skeleton going for her back, before kicking it into the masses. Satisfied with myself as a sizable chunk of the undead are knocked over, I turn to my seeress companion, saying,

“Pardon me, Matakite. Hope you don’t mind if I watch your back?”

quote:

[13:13] <TheFireMagi> hm, think i'll just smack some skellies for now
[13:14] <TheFireMagi> Sentinel engages the skeletons! (+Savior)
[13:14] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+2
[13:14] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 12+2 = 14
[13:14] <HugzillaPhone> noice
[13:14] <TheFireMagi> i'll take it
Gonna resist their blows and create an opportunity.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Sharville

And not long after I say that to Matakite, I feel the back of my helmet get impacted from something quite heavy. Dazed, my head starts to ring, and it’s with more luck than skill that I dodge out of the way from the follow-up strike. How careless of me! To criticize Red Errant for letting her guard down in the midst of battle, and then doing much the same in the next engagement… I had much to learn too, it seemed.

quote:

[15:29] <TheFireMagi> Sentinel takes a Powerful Blow (-1)
[15:29] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6
[15:29] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 7 = 7
[/i]Giving ground and the [b]skeletons gain an opportunity![/i]

Discussed in IRC, turns out I shouldn’t have taken that Powerful Blow actually, so it doesn’t apply! Sentinel still gets a massive headache though.

Even in my addled mind, I still have enough sense to watch as Vane is dragged away by some sort of vine. Concern rises within me, but there’s no time for me to assist, what with Matakite and I having our own set of problems. Besides, Red Errant and Ghorza seem to have handled the situation well enough by themselves. And here I was, having trouble because of one, little blow to head. No, this would not do. Not at all. Smashing an armored heel into the floor, I grit my teeth and force my way through the pain. Following after Matakite’s path of destruction, I cover her back without turning, trusting her to handle her side from the front.

quote:

[17:38] <TheFireMagi> Sentinel Smacks some Skeletons with Savior! (Direct Engage)
[17:38] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+2
[17:38] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 7+2 = 9
Creating an opportunity for my allies!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: +3

With a nod to Red Errant, I return to her a quick shout of,

“Very well, but do watch yourself out there!”

Entrusting the golem to her and Vane, who rises to his feet with vine in hand, I glance around the battlefield as I begin to plan for my next move. Should I assist one of the others? If so, who? Or should I throw myself directly towards the line of fire, and hope to draw their attention? Indecisive, I find myself grinning at Matakite from behind my helmet as she slaps my shoulder, her blunt words ever a reassurance. Yes, no reason to overthink it. Simple was best, after all.

“As you say. I’ll leave the one freezing Gateway over to you then.”

Watching Matakite rush off, I turn just in time to see Lady Fury soar over the ring of flames surrounding her. Quite the daring feat, I thought to myself, as even an inch closer and those wings of hers might have been burned. Were I in her position, would I have the resolve to risk such injury…? My heart said yes, and yet I couldn’t help but wonder for a moment. But the moment passed, and I ran to her side.

“Excellent work in escaping those flames, Lady Fury. If you would, allow me to assist you in returning the favor.”

With one final glance over to ensure there were no injuries, I charge towards the caster of flames, intending to keep him off his balance so that my allies might strike his flank.

quote:

[11:00] <TheFireMagi> Sentinel goes to Lady Fury's aid, and Directly Engages the Fire Mage!
[11:00] <TheFireMagi> !r 2d6+2
[11:00] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, 8+2 = 10
Resisting blows and creating an opportunity!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Terror…? Certainly, I felt terror, but not from the foes that stood before me. Foes that could be faced with blade and courage. Foes that I knew how to confront. There was caution in the wake of being left alone with Matakite against the mages, but not terror. What frightened was the loss of Red Errant, the injuring of Gateway, the sheer surprise I felt from the sudden shifting of the tides. Were we not holding the advantage just moments prior? Then why, how was it, that the battle suddenly looked so bleak? What could be done to turn the tables from here? Was there something that could be done…?

No! Now more than ever, there was no time for such doubts. Another shout from Matakite, who stood with me with back to back, only furthered that resolve. Yes, this was no place for hesitation. If all I could do was fight, then all I would do was fight. Stand with sword in hand, as many times as it took. Trust in the others to protect Gateway, and trust in Red Errant that should would survive. Such was my role, such was my duty. With a wordless nod to Matakite, I allow her to charge ahead. But instead of immediately following, I instead run a finger alongside my blade, breathing deep.

“And I must trust in you as well. Someday I shall have to christen you, when the moment is right. For now, however, I rely on you once again, my nameless companion.”

Mind steeled and ready, I rush towards the caster of flames, whose guard is well and down from Matakite’s leading assault. And brittle bones such as these, I think to myself, are no match for the Sentinel’s armaments! Unleashing a number of cuts, slashes, and thrusts that leave no opportunity for a counter-spell, one final strike cleaves the fire mage’s skull in two.

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 8:31 PM
/r 2d6+2 #Sentinel charges in and engages the Skeletal Mages! (Fire Mage)

SidekickBOT-Today at 8:31 PM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6+2 Sentinel charges in and engages the Skeletal Mages! = (4+6)+2 = 12

Resisting blows and creating an opportunity, as usual!

Releasing that tensed breath from before, I almost wanted to laugh as Vane crashed down onto our side of the battlefield. Ghorza’s work, I presumed. Girl certainly had a great deal of strength to her, no doubt. Then, much to my surprise, he immediately calls out to me, his words ringing very much familiarly. At that, a smile does blossom, and it is with perhaps more pep in my tone than was appropriate for both the situation and words that I say,

“You need not ease my doubts, Vane. At least, not anymore. I will not lie to you, for a moment there… for a moment there I did question if we would prevail this day. However… we eight,” and it is with emphasis I said that number, “will not fail, will not falter. So please, let me see that spearwork of yours. Amusing as it was to see you put a boot to the wind mage, ‘tis not an usually effective strategy, I’ve found.”

Clearing Insecure from Vane's comfort/support!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential:3/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: Sharville

I stare up, blank-faced, at the… thing. The thing that was once Gateway. Still was? I… didn’t know, couldn’t say. None of the stories I heard from Father or Grandfather ever mentioned a creature such as this. Extraplanar beings were… outside the usual creatures that the Sentinels fought. Still, that didn’t mean I was planning on backing down. Gateway may have been transformed (?), Marcus and Lady Fury may have been lost to that accursed pit, but four of us still stood strong. And… the mages as well. I look to Vane, my voice at first somewhat uncertain as I say,

“...I admit that I am worried about relying on undead beings such as these. However, I also admit that they possess some form of intelligence, and certainly a great deal of magical talent. The latter being something we remaining here could certainly use against this… entity. ...Very well! I shall entrust my sword to your plan, Vane.”

Yes, Vane could be trusted. But could the mages…? Well, no point in thinking about that now. First and foremost, Gateway had to be saved.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 8, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential:4/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: Sharville

With our plan set and our temporary alliance made, I turn my attention to the foe before us, doing my best to ascertain… anything about it. Knowledge was half of any battle, after all. Of course, it was one matter to study a bandit’s movements or the direction of an arrow. The intents or secrets of a strange, interdimensional bone monstrosity on the other hand was… much more difficult to figure out.

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 7:05 PM
/roll 2d6-1 #Sentinel tries to figure just what's going on with this weird goo bone monster!
SidekickBOT-Today at 7:05 PM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6-1 Sentinel tries to figure just what's going on with this weird goo monster! = (2+1)-1 = 2
I tried? Free potential! :v:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential:4/5 | Conditions: Hopeless | Location: Sharville

As useful a tool as magic could be, was it not reasonable that it left me doubting, in despair? My sword that could rend through armor like it was paper, Gateway who could unintentionally unleash beasts such as these, the skeletal sorcerers whose magic we were relying on for this engagement… and I could hardly understand a single aspect of it. Of course, it was impossible for one man, woman, or machine to know everything, yet that was of no comfort to me at the moment. All that I knew was that we needed to stop this monstrosity somehow, and I couldn’t figure out a single weakness or strategy. How useless. Perhaps throwing myself onto the frontlines was all I was good for, after all.

If so, I thought, then let it be done. Following alongside Matakite, I cut, I slash, I thrust, again and again and again. Was I even leaving an impact on this beast? Perhaps, perhaps not. But if I could gain Matakite ground, give her an opportunity to strike where it would really hurt, then that was what mattered. Right…?

OOC: Spending a Team to boost Matakite’s DE by 1!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Hopeless | Location: Sharville

Just as quickly as the creature had appeared, just as quickly as it had been vanquished. It was for the best, of course, but even so it still came as a surprise. But Gateway was saved, and not only that, Red Errant and Lady Fury were apparently safe as they suddenly came out from the pit with Marcus and… Lady Nirian not long after? When had she gotten…? Sheathing my sword, I give a sideways glance at the seeress’ words. A chat with the undead? Why? How? And would she be safe- actually, Marcus was there, so she’d likely be fine on that front. Well, that could be put aside for later, I thought. More importantly…

“Red Errant, Lady Fury. Are you two all right? Do you need any assistance? ‘Twas quite the drop-” I pause as I take in the duo clearly, and outside the heat of battle. Lady Fury’s dress was torn, which was a shame. Red Errant was in a dress. Not her armor. Likely broken in the fall, some part of my brain told me. Unfortunate, but it probably saved her life. Still, she was drenched, and looked very much worse for wear.

I chose to ignore the other part of my brain that admired how well she wore the look.

“-Mmph. Would… either of you require a hand? Or, er, a cloak, perhaps? I should have brought one along with me- Blast, I left it back at the camp. Didn’t think I’d need it here. Will certainly teach me to be prepared, haha…”

Awkwardly laughing to end my rambling, I reach a hand out to either of the ladies if they seek it.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Helping Lady Fury to her feet, I can offer little more than a shrug at her question. It wasn’t as if I knew much of the specifics myself, after all. Still, I could at least explain the general situation. Probably would help my nerves as well, though it was difficult to say why I was unnerved considering the battle was over…

“Ah, yes, well. I am afraid that I cannot say exactly what happened, as it involved some degree of magic, which falls outside my realm of expertise. But from what I saw and understood… Gateway failed on some sort of spell, and was consumed by an otherworldly bone-like creature as a consequence. We then formed a temporary alliance with the remaining skeletal mages to vanquish the beast, and Vane managed to drag our planecaller back onto solid earth. I confess that I was not expecting such a plan to succeed, but I can’t really complain, now can I?”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Warmth. Of course. It should have been obvious that Red Errant, Lilly, would need warmth when she was soaked like that. She was probably freezing in that dress. But I didn’t have a spare change of clothes, or even a cloak to give. Nor did I have some sort of flame to help dry her off, offer her comfort in this time of need. Yet surely there must have been something I could do to warm her up? Something… something… ah, there was that!

“Please excuse me.”

Letting go of Lady Fury’s hand, I draw Lilly into an embrace, wrapping my arms around her tight though not so tight she couldn’t escape. It was a maneuver I normally wouldn’t have thought much of previously, yet somehow I couldn’t help but feel somewhat embarrassed. Was it the situation, of being around so many others? Was it the sight of Ghorza and Vane not seconds before? Or was it the recipient? No, no, this is for Lilly’s sake, I thought to myself. Nothing else.

“Sorry to be so forward, Red Errant, but this is all I can do at the moment. Ah, er, feel free to break away if this is too much, of course. I would completely understand. But physical contact is one of the best methods of transferring heat, or so I’ve heard. Right. Physical… contact…” I pause at those words, run them over in my mind. Then, I tense up as an extremely obvious realization hits me. “I’m still in my armor, aren’t I.”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

At Nirian’s words, I linger on Lilly’s gaze, before breaking the hug embrace grasp I have on her. It takes more willpower to do so than I expected, than it should, but I do so nevertheless. Even more willpower did it take to not snap a retort back at the seeress. What gave her the right to criticize my, our, actions? Yes, it was admittedly foolish to do what I did, when there was no real benefit to the gesture. But for we who had just faced a trying ordeal, for the three of us who had fallen into the pit and managed to somehow survive, were we not allowed a moment of respite?

I bite my tongue. She may have been out of line, but so was I. A discussion could be held, later. For now, there were certainly more important matters to focus on, such as getting out of this place. Any longer and Lilly might catch a cold, if she hadn’t already. Still, my temper was being tested, which was perhaps why I lashed out at Sebastian as I did once the elevator arrived.

“Our own good…? The people under your care, these people, starved because of your own neglect! Best intentions you may have had, Sebastian, but you clearly do not understand the necessities of human life. What would you know of ‘our own good?’”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Hopeless | Location: Sharville

Watching as the skeletons turn to dust, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of mixed relief and grief. To have learned of their ill fate was a dreary thing, but to aid them in achieving peace was a worthy task. It was unfortunate that it was brought about by good intentions, but… well, I thought, no point in pondering on that now. Better to soak in the sunlight, the sunshine, while it lasted. After all that time in the underground dark, it was most certainly appreciated. By myself, and presumably the others as well. And speaking of the sunshine, what about-

“Oh! Er, yes, I don’t mind at all.”

It’s with some surprise that I react when Lilly moves to hug me. Even though I had done exactly the same just a few minutes ago, I hadn’t prepared myself for the gesture to be returned. Especially in broad daylight like this, where we were very much in better view from the rest of the team. Though I wasn’t entirely sure what use this had, what with my armor still being worn, it would have been rude to turn her away at this point. Besides, it wasn’t as if I disliked the embrace. It was somewhat embarrassing, considering the circumstances, but the feeling of having someone close was… not unpleasant. Not at all.

“You did fine yourself, you know. Just as well as myself, if not better. But I’m glad I could help.” I murmur back, uncertain why she was being so quiet about the matter but playing along. “And a celebration definitely sounds quite nice. Something or somewhere with drinks like you mentioned before, perhaps. It’ll be a welcome change of pace, relaxing with good company after this somber affair.”

Yes, there was nothing better than good company. Vane, Ghorza, and the others were that as well, of course. It helped, having friends my own age for once. But I found the thought of spending time with Lilly rather comforting. Or perhaps that was just the embarrassment finally catching up to me. Who could say?

End of Session, growing closer to Red Errant and giving her Influence over me (1st Label Shift) and clearing Hopeless. Shared celebration with Red Errant and mentioned them being my equal, if not better, which gives her Influence over me again (2nd Label Shift) and an advance. Taking Words of the Past. Also I couldn’t really find a way to work it into my narration, but here’s my Legacy roll.

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 1:23 PM
/roll 2d6+2 #How does the Sentinel legacy feel about recent events?
SidekickBOT-Today at 1:23 PM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6+2 How does the Sentinel legacy feel about recent events? = (5+6)+2 = 13
On a hit, one of my legacy offers me meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: Barracks

Just as Vane does, I instinctively raise an arm to salute as Prince Alexander himself walks in through the door. The Crown Prince! While I was never one to believe that nobility by its nature demanded respect, I had to admit that Prince Alexander certainly carried quite the impressive presence. That, or my etiquette teachings as a youth had been more ingrained into me than I first believed. Either was likely, really.

The evaluation, however, seeps away at any elation I might have felt upon meeting the Crown Prince. Simply… present? I may not have directly assisted in vanquishing the strange creature brought about by Gateway, but I had done far more than simply being present. Admittedly the skeletons I defeated ended up being not exactly our foes, but even so… I grimace for a moment, before returning to a more neutral expression. Whatever grievances I might have had, ‘twas not the time to dwell on them. Or so I thought, yet my brow raised ever so slightly at Prince Alexander’s comment to Lilly. May be a commoner…? The second passes, however, and I nod as I accept the title and medal.

“It is an honor, Your Highness.”

Though it would have been better if we had arrived to assist before they passed, I thought to myself. No point in dwelling on that either, I supposed, and at least we granted some semblance of rest to their souls. Listening to our new mission, I stir over what little details we were given in my mind. The Duke of Sommerlund. Vane’s father. I couldn’t recall much about the man, besides the more general information. Curious that he seemed intent on secrecy, when his own son was involved.

“Will it be just the four of us on the mission? Or will be you coming along as well, Lady Selza?”

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 8, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

The natural splendor of Sommerlund enraptures me almost immediately upon arrival. It still paled compared to the finer regions in the Southern Realms, though of course I was undoubtedly biased in that regard. Even so, the landscape was beautiful, the city was quite appealing, and there was even a bit of amusement watching the guards’ reaction to Daisy. Not that I could blame them, having been very much surprised myself when I first saw the wyvern. A fine creature she was, however, and one that had aided us well, and would continue to do so in the future.

Yet as I listen to the Duke himself speak, my chipper mood begins to be chipped away. This man was Vane’s father…? He was… not what I expected. In many ways, and not in a good sense either. It was one matter for him to present himself before us so sloppily. Disrespectful for a man of his position, especially considering that we had come to aid him, but that I could tolerate. But to immediately dismiss Lilly and Ghorza? No, not merely dismiss, but insult at that. I could not accept that, even if he was my friend’s father. With a steelier tone than perhaps I intended, I say after Vane,

“As your son has said, Duke Drake, Red Errant and Lady Ghorza have more than proven themselves on the field of battle. But. Even if they had not, those who have chosen to serve in defense of the realms are worthy of respect. Regardless of their upbringing, or where they hail from. To disregard them so is to slander not just them, but the Knights of the Round Table as a whole, whom have chosen to accept them into the fold. The same Knights that have come to your aid, may I add.”

My eyes narrowed, I take a moment to compose myself, before turning to Aethul. Vane’s brother. Would he be like the father as well? If so, this would be a long and tiring mission we had ahead of us.

“Has the dark mage any allies that you have seen or heard of? Undead minions, as Vane suggests? Or mercenaries, perhaps? It is difficult to imagine one individual causing such chaos, at least one that has gone entirely unheard of prior to this incident.”

OOC: Spending Team on Vane’s roll to boost it to a 10.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

Following after Lady Selza, I leave the meeting without responding to Aethul’s barbs. Sage Zolim was powerful, yes. That I had no doubts. But to place this dark mage anywhere on the same level as he? Either Vane’s brother was grossly overestimating our opponent to retort at me, or we were facing a truly fearsome threat. Both possibilities were worrisome for entirely different reasons. Which was the truth? We would see soon enough.

---

Staring down from our vantage point, I have to admit that this dark mage was… not what I was expecting. Perhaps I would have, if I was more learned on the arcane ways, but for our opponent to be a child even younger than we was… less than ideal. That would not stop me from turning the Sentinel’s blade on him, if it was necessary. The realms must be protected, first and foremost. That was our duty. But. Only if it was necessary. Those thoughts running through my mind, I watch over the boy and his treants for a time. Whatever we ended up deciding on doing, it would be best to keep our eyes open and our options varied. In my case, that meant figuring out how best I could protect my fellow pages. Lady Selza, I imagined, could take care of herself. Moving back to a safe position, I nod as Vane speaks.

“I must agree. I know little about what brings about a dark mage, but surely violence is not the only option here?”

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 9:06 PM
/roll 2d6+1 #Sentinel also assesses the treant army!
SidekickBOT-Today at 9:06 PM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6+1 Sentinel also assesses the treant army! = (6+6)+1 = 13
Asking “What here is the biggest threat?” (i’m assuming a specific aspect of the dark mage here :v:) and “What here can I use to help protect my allies in battle?”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: In a Whole Lot of Pollen!

Not immediately grasping what Ghorza is getting at, I stand there puzzled as she begins to move towards Vane. As she sends him spiralling into the air though, I realize what she’s going for, and start to say,

“Wait, hold onnnnnn-”

Bracing for impact, I wince even as I hit the earth. Landing on my feet or now, crashing down in armor hardly felt good. But I was in the fray now, at least, alongside Vane. Presumably, anyways. It was quite difficult to see anything within all this pollen, but I trusted Ghorza’s throwing arm enough that I figured my fellow Page was somewhere close by. Hopefully, he would be able to take care of himself. My armor might have been able to ward off the effects of the pollen, but I wasn’t so certain about Vane’s. If that was the case, I should give my team an opportunity to escape the pollen’s reach if needed. Tracking the treants easily even through the clouded battlefield, I march towards them with my sword drawn, shouting out,

“Look here, beasts! Be you all bark and no bite? Come and try me!”

quote:

A Junkfood Goblin (TheFireMagi)-Today at 8:07 PM
/roll 2d6+1 #Can Sentinel grab the treants' attention and give his a team a chance to ride those bad boys?
SidekickBOT-Today at 8:07 PM
@A Junkfood Goblin (TheFireMagi): 2d6+1 Can Sentinel grab the treants' attention and give his a team a chance to ride those bad boys? = (6+6)+1 = 13
Provoking the treants to do exactly as it sounds, keep their attention onto me so that my fellow Pages and maybe Lady Selza have a chance to ride these suckers.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

Okay, my distraction worked on these treants. Perfect. Now, er, what to do now? I had thought as far as attracting their attention, but now that I had it, should I evade their attacks? Strike them down? Go after the mage? No, no, couldn’t do that, too many obstacles. Then- before I’m able to finish coming up with another impromptu plan, something smashes into me. Rather, someone. I start to shake off the impact, rise to my feet, when I’m captured by one of the treants. Wonderful. What was I meant to do now?

“Ghorza! Are you all right? If you are, I could use a hand here-”

Suddenly, the grip on me loosens, and I fall to the ground. Again. I’d been doing an awful lot of falling and tumbling in the past few minutes, and I was getting somewhat annoyed with it. The first time was planned at least, but someone in armor was not meant to be thrown and jostled about like a circus performer. Ah well. Bruises heal, and none of us were severely injured, so I was complaining for little reason. Gathering myself, I look around the battlefield, trying to determine why the treants had released me. Once I realize Vane’s managed to… defeat? the mage we were battling, I begin to make my way over to him, saying,

“Well done, Vane! Sorry I couldn’t be of more use. Still, you handled yourself more than well-”

And again, I am interrupted by another noise. Can a man not even finish his gratuities anymore? While I couldn’t entirely disagree with Lilly’s blunt choice of words, perhaps a more tactful approach would be more effective here.

“Please, hold a moment, Red Errant.” I turn to face this newcomer, this ‘Phantom’ as she seems to emphasize for herself, and watch her carefully with crossed arms. “Pardon me, my lady, but a hero you once called yourself? Then you should have no qualms about divulging your name or your title, whichever you went by, if you speak truly. And how is it you know my friend Vane, and his ties with Sommerlund?”

quote:

TheFireMagi-Today at 10:30 AM
/roll 2d6+1 #Sentinel don't gently caress this up (Piercing the Phantom's Mask)
SidekickBOT-Today at 10:30 AM
@TheFireMagi: 2d6+1 Sentinel don't gently caress this up (Piercing the Phantom's Mask) = (1+4)+1 = 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None!| Location: The Duchy of Sommerlund

It had been an eventful day, to say the least, so to see Lilly be so overwhelmed with emotion was not entirely surprising. Still somewhat startling, however, considering I had never seen her this emotional. Though in a way, it was somewhat, well, nice was an odd word to use here, but it seemed the right one nonetheless. Being open with our emotions was not a luxury us nobles often had, let alone us Sentinels. so watching Lilly be so joyous was a pleasant change of pace. Though, I think offhandedly to myself, Vane certainly had no qualms about openness, at least when it came to Ghorza. Another trait of his to be respected, to be sure. It did, however, leave me somewhat awkwardly on my own. Not sure as to what I should be doing, I stand around for a few minutes as daughter and father reunite, before stepping forward with a clearing of my throat.

“Ahem. Erm. Greetings, Sir… Mr. Vale? Um. I am Pryce. Pryce Halder. One of your daughter’s, Lilly’s, that is, fellow Pages. Rather, we are all her fellow Pages. Except for Lady Selza, over there. ...It is an honor to meet you?”

Oh, if Father and Grandfather could see me now. Why was I stumbling over all my words? Why. This should not really be so difficult, but I had to admit, Lilly’s father was an intimidating man indeed.

• Locked thread